Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.2

Tip us?
 
huy_lonewolf
Old
(Last edited by huy_lonewolf; 25th February 2013 at 03:36 AM.)
#31  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 334
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
I'm not sure what bugs you are referring to - I run 4.2 on my N7 and it runs perfectly... Any particular examples?

Thanks.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
You can look at this link to see what I am talking about. I am sure Google is working to address all of those problems and fixed important issues like missing December in the calendar in 4.2.1 and Bluetooth issue in 4.2.2, but as far as I know, no other version of Android has been launched with so many problems.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...ewest-release/
 
jtrosky
Old
#32  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 961
Posts: 3,411
Join Date: May 2008
Default Re: 4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huy_lonewolf View Post
You can look at this link to see what I am talking about. I am sure Google is working to address all of those problems and fixed important issues like missing December in the calendar in 4.2.1 and Bluetooth issue in 4.2.2, but as far as I know, no other version of Android has been launched with so many problems.
Wow - either you haven't been around Android very long or you've never personally used versions before Ice Cream Sandwich! Previous versions of Android (pre-ICS) were not exactly known for their stability and were nowhere near bug-free! Even ICS was a lot less stable than 4.2.2 (in my experience).

Android 4.2.2 is actually extremely stable and bug free in comparison to previous versions of Android. I'd venture to say the exact opposite (and again, coming from an active user of 4.2.2) - Android 4.2.2 is probably the least bugged version of Android to date.

I would like to check out the link you are referring to though!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
 
huy_lonewolf
Old
#33  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 334
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Wow - either you haven't been around Android very long or you've never personally used versions before Ice Cream Sandwich! Previous versions of Android (pre-ICS) were not exactly known for their stability and were nowhere near bug-free! Even ICS was a lot less stable than 4.2.2 (in my experience).

Android 4.2.2 is actually extremely stable and bug free in comparison to previous versions of Android. I'd venture to say the exact opposite (and again, coming from an active user of 4.2.2) - Android 4.2.2 is probably the least bugged version of Android to date.

I would like to check out the link you are referring to though!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
I think it is safe to say that our discussion is based mainly on personal experience, which explains the difference in our opinions. From what I can understand, your experiences are from using Nexus devices, while devices I have used are mainly HTC and Samsung. I have used every single version of Android since 2.1 to the latest 4.2.2 (on my Sensation, abeit through CM10.1), and to me 4.2 is the version that has the biggest problem with Bluetooth performance, among other things. And frankly, if you follow tech blogs like Engadget, The Verge, etc..., you ought to realize that there are quite a lot of articles talking about bugs that 4.2 introduces (probably as much as iOS 6). Seriously, ICS and 4.1 did not manage to attract that kind of attention.
 
jtrosky
Old
(Last edited by jtrosky; 28th February 2013 at 11:21 AM.)
#34  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 961
Posts: 3,411
Join Date: May 2008
Default Re: 4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huy_lonewolf View Post
I think it is safe to say that our discussion is based mainly on personal experience, which explains the difference in our opinions. From what I can understand, your experiences are from using Nexus devices, while devices I have used are mainly HTC and Samsung. I have used every single version of Android since 2.1 to the latest 4.2.2 (on my Sensation, abeit through CM10.1), and to me 4.2 is the version that has the biggest problem with Bluetooth performance, among other things. And frankly, if you follow tech blogs like Engadget, The Verge, etc..., you ought to realize that there are quite a lot of articles talking about bugs that 4.2 introduces (probably as much as iOS 6). Seriously, ICS and 4.1 did not manage to attract that kind of attention.
Again, I wholeheartedly disagree... The N7 is the only Nexus device I've owned. Previously, I used no-name tablets, Asus tablets (original TF101, which came with Honeycomb, which was bug-ridden), and an HTC phone (which runs ICS and is also bug-ridden). All have had far more bugs and instability than 4.2.2 in my experience.

You are basing you entire opinion based on what you read on the net, at least for 4.2.2 (I keep thinking of that damn State Farm ad - you know the one - "he's a French model"!). I'm basing my opinion on actual usage (of both previous versions and 4.2). You really can't go by your experience with CM10 - it is no longer Android 4.2.2 and introduces it's own bugs and issues.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

Anyone else care to give their experiences of previous versions vs. 4.2(.2) in terms of stability? Maybe it's just me....

EDIT - By the way, I don't experience any of the issues reported in that link. Well, actually, the N7 auto-brightness has never worked very well on the N7, but I think that is a hardware-design flaw, not an Android issue (since the problem is not 4.2 specific).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes