Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 49,055 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 (project closed)

Tip us?

xFaultx
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Tomorrow is when the image is supposed to be released, I believe.

A video would be helpful. Im tech savy, but a linux virgin. Its not as smooth as some other OSs, especially trying to lear what an i363 and a armhf program are

rabits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 430

DONATE TO ME
Default Ubuntu Tablet

So, I got zip with rootfs quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip)) This is interesting img - 12.10-based, has many new and removed packages (lists attached - diff with daily 13.04 13.02.18).
Today I'll try to run it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt new.list.txt - [Click for QR Code] (9.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: txt removed.list.txt - [Click for QR Code] (16.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: txt same.list.txt - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 16 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to rabits For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Terolex
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi!

I'm happy to see this type of project for my TF700.
Now, the project concern the new version of ubuntu for tablet (Nexus release) or you work on the desktop version?

In every case, good luck!

quicknik
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default Re: [DEV] Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

So I have built a dev vm for ubuntu touch and working on it. Man it eats over 20GB.

It takes a long time to downlosd so be patient and do something else while it is doing its thing.

I will attempt to get this on the tf700 and utilize some of rabits hard work.

From what I can tell this is a chroot on top of cm10.1 so should work fine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quicknik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

puff8stuff
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Wow, exciting. I'd be willing to test

rabits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 430

DONATE TO ME
Default Ubuntu Touch on tf700

Hi, Guys! Now we have working Ubuntu Touch preview for our device. Additional info here.
The Following User Says Thank You to rabits For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rtfpessoa
Old
Thanks Meter 662

DONATE TO ME
@rabits, will you add dualboot for this version ("not touch" ubuntu) with CyanogenMod?
Phones:
  • Google Nexus 5
  • Xiaomi Mione Plus
Tablet:
  • Google Nexus 7 (2013)

pvka13
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I was able to set up 13.04 KDE (with compiz) and LXDE on my 32GB TF700. I used 0.8.0 as a base. It's possible to freely experiment with the rabits software stack provided the following packages are pinned: Pinned packages (/var/lib/synaptic/preferences file). Here's the list of installed packages (dpkg --get-selections) on my system.

Here are my impressions:
LXDE is very fast. KDE with compiz takes around one minute to boot, but after that its performance is acceptable (in fact, I use it as my main DE). KDE uses ~310MB of RAM after booting.

Brightness doesn't work automatically, though it's possible to control it via /sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness. Max value is 255, min is 3. If you set brightness to 2 or lower then the screen turns off without a way to turn it back on. Only a reset fixes this.

The screen doesn't turn off on lid close. This is due to the touchscreen and the touchpad being active and firing touch events when the screen touches the dock. This script can be used to fix the issue. It disables the offending input devices on lid close and re-enables on lid open. Don't close the lid quickly if you use this script! Not only script doesn't work properly in this case due some delays in lid-close event processing, it also exposes a bug somewhere in the xserver stack which leads to a xserver crash quite often. Just don't close the lid quickly and you'll be fine. My "procedure" is as follows: close the lid so that there's ~1cm between the tablet and the dock, close lid slowly until the screen turns off, wait ~1 second after that and finally close the lid full.

I occasionally experience severlal second long lock-ups, especially during heavy IO load. Does anyone experience this too? Maybe there's a workaround?

I have one a bit unrelated question: what's the rationale for the UKSM patch being applied? The samepage merging is only useful when there many duplicate pages actually exist, which almost universally is when one runs several identical VMs on the same host. This is not the case here. I think it's not worth to waste precious memory and CPU bandwidth for little benefit - at least on my system there was only ~20-30MB savings when using all 1GB ram. A better solution would be to simply swap out unused memory. The main mmc memory is comparatively fast - ~15MB seq read/write, 4MB/s 4k read, 3MB/s 4k write - this should work reasonably well.

I get the feeling that the initrd scripts should fsck the rootfs image being loaded. Every time the system locks up or reboots (which still does happen), there's a certain risk of filesystem corruption. If occasional errors are not fixed, there's huge risk for data loss, or mysteriuos bugs. I've spent at least an hour debugging why I can't recreate /etc/mtab file - the culprit was filesystem corruption during an earlier reboot.

rabits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 430

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfpessoa View Post
@rabits, will you add dualboot for this version ("not touch" ubuntu) with CyanogenMod?
Yes, I'm working on unification of initram scripts now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvka13 View Post
I have one a bit unrelated question: what's the rationale for the UKSM patch being applied?
Hm, maybe you right. I added it in beginning for test, but forgot to do any tests))
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvka13 View Post
I get the feeling that the initrd scripts should fsck the rootfs image being loaded
It is a necessary thing I've added it to the list.

pgratz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi All,
This is my first time posting in this thread so I wanted to start with many thanks to Rabits and others for putting this together!

I searched the thread and I havent seen anyone talking about the problem I'm having so I thought I'd post up. On the previous iteration (.71 IIRC) Wifi seemed to work fine with my dock installed (never tried it without), however now on .8 I can't seem to get Ubuntu to see the wifi interface. I saw notes here about some people having this problem when booting without the dock. In my case I usually leave the dock on at all times so I don't think it is the same problem. Does anyone have some advice on how to address it (I'm reasonably well versed in Linux sys admin from the cli). For what its worth iwconfig doesn't even report a WIFI enabled interface.

Also a minor annoyance is that the onscreen virtual keyboard keeps popping up whenever I swtich to a terminal or anything that takes keyboard input. Since I have the dock I'd like to kill this but I haven't been able to figure out how to make it go away permanently.

If you all would rather I post this in the user forum let me know and I apologize for the wasted bandwidth here.
Thanks!
Paul