Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 49,241 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] 1-Click Flashable exFAT + NTFS + EXT4 support for CM10.1/AOSP + Partitioned SD!

Tip us?

HMkX2
Old
(Last edited by HMkX2; 24th February 2013 at 12:34 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
I'm glad it helped, and thank you for telling me that the phone formatting it fixed it! That helps a lot and makes it simpler for others to replicate. It was silly because this was the order:
Had stock "Sandisk" formatting (no partitions) <====> My script default was (partition 1)
Stuck it in the phone and didn't work

Reformatted FAT32 using Arconis (which saw the error and CREATED partition 1) <====> Showed /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 when you tested
Reformatted exFAT (partition 1) <=[ same time! ]==> Edited my script to GET RID of p1 (no partitions)
Stuck it in the phone and didn't work
Windows has always been bad about formatting and destroying partition tables -- anyone who has made a dual-boot Linux computer can verify that.

Rather than probe randomly, I am editing the script to try partitions in-order until it finds one it recognizes.
HMkX2 CORE F6BC 6626 F92A A8F6 72C3 5B4A A301 BF44 08B7 042D

spearoid
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Default Re: [MOD] 1-Click Flashable exFAT + NTFS + EXT4 support for CM10.1 / AOSP (external S

Yeah I thought about it afterwards that that might have hindered your troubleshooting process by just formatting it from the phone. We never actually found a resolution to the issue with the card formatted in Windows.

Maybe that just needs to be part of the OP instructions. "Make sure you've formatted the card from your phone or Linux, not Windows"

Will report symbolic link test results shortly.

HMkX2
Old
(Last edited by HMkX2; 24th February 2013 at 12:43 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearoid View Post
Maybe that just needs to be part of the OP instructions. "Make sure you've formatted the card from your phone or Linux, not Windows"
... but Linux doesn't support creating exFAT... yet. Maybe I'll just add /dev/block/mmcblk1 as a default option to expand coverage from the 70% of CM10.1 users to the 99% of regular users.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...n-ubuntu-11-04
Note that this package doesn't (yet?) support formatting a new partition - you'll have to do that under Windows.

spearoid
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Default Re: [MOD] 1-Click Flashable exFAT + NTFS + EXT4 support for CM10.1 / AOSP (external S

Oh. I barely mess with Linux. Just threw that I there in anticipation of a response from someone saying "or you could format it in Linux". . Whoops!!

HMkX2
Old
(Last edited by HMkX2; 24th February 2013 at 12:57 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Posted an update in OP. Added a "Spearoid Procedure" to script v4.1 until I get a chance to code a more robust solution.

If you see a giant error flash on your screen yelling at you to partition your card correctly -- but the script still works -- remember to click "Thanks" by spearoid's name.
The Following User Says Thank You to HMkX2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spearoid
Old
Thanks Meter 144

Well that sounds special.

I just finished creating a symbolic link to redirect Google Music's files from the data\data folder to my exFAT SD card!! And I've successfully gotten Directory Bind to redirect game data like Gameloft's massive files to the SD card from the internal memory.

Absolutely fantastic! I really am shocked. Just two weeks ago I was resigned to never having anything but crappy fat32 on AOSP. Couldn't find anyone who seemed to think this would be possible. Then along comes our new scripting friend! I even posted several questions about it in certain AOSP ROM threads.

Your work is awesome and something that really needs to eventually get worked into AOSP ROMs if that doesn't create licensing problems.
I can't believe I tried Paragon and other apps and none of them worked. I was and still am totally willing to pay for this capability. I believe a donation is in order!

lordazoroth
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quick question, what happens if I flash the updated zip over my original which gave me exFAT. Would I be able to read NTFS afterwards and how would I go about updating safely?

I have 2 friends with the same phone and I'll be adding this functionality to theirs as well, just being careful.

thx, still working great on exFAT!
If I've helped you, please thank me.

My Device:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 G900T: BeansTown106 [kltetmo_UVU1ANCH_deodex] [04/16/14]

Last 2 Phones:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III: Infamous v4.8.2 + KT747-TW-JB-4.1.2-ATT-05-31-2013 Kernel
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

HMkX2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordazoroth View Post
Quick question, what happens if I flash the updated zip over my original which gave me exFAT. Would I be able to read NTFS afterwards and how would I go about updating safely?
Just flash the zip. It handles everything and has the NTFS binaries included.

The update-script automatically removes "old" versions of my scripts and places the new ones in their place. It deletes the following extraneous files from the original release, since they don't work; if you actually want the exfat utils (even though they all fail saying "cannot get size"), you have to add them back in manually.
Code:
delete("/system/etc/init.d/50exfat-mountsd"); <- Replaced with  50fuse-mountsd
delete("/system/xbin/exfat-mountsd.sh"); <- Replaced with fuse-mountsd.sh

delete("/system/xbin/dumpexfat"); <- None of these work anyway
delete("/system/xbin/exfatlabel");
delete("/system/xbin/exfatfsck");
delete("/system/xbin/mkexfatfs");
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMkX2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khan1989
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default ExtSd2InternalSd

Hi All, do you think i would be able to use this mod in conjunction with ExtSd2InternalSd that way i would be able use cm10 and and use my exfat 64gb sdxc as my internal card?

HMkX2
Old
(Last edited by HMkX2; 25th February 2013 at 12:26 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan1989 View Post
Hi All, do you think i would be able to use this mod in conjunction with ExtSd2InternalSd that way i would be able use cm10 and and use my exfat 64gb sdxc as my internal card?
Looking at their script, I see no reason it should not work if you change some of the block devices around. (They used "/dev/block/vold/179:49" and "/dev/block/vold/179:17" for the Note2, which are inappropriate for the GS3.) From looking at it I can actually see a couple of problems with that script on a basic level. (For instance, they do no version checking and it is not coded for JB's per-user "/0/" storage.)

I will poke around this and make detailed instructions later. For now, I can just tell you the commands I'll use to figure it out. Type "cat /proc/partitions" and look for the mmcblk0p__ that is the size of your internal, or type "ls -al /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name" to get the direct list -- look for an entry called "userdata".

Remember: exfat-fuse is still experimental at this point. Don't put your financial documents in there. (Ext4 and NTFS are stable as hell, though.)

Edit: No wonder it was coded so poorly! You linked the one for the wrong phone! You need to use his GS3 version (here)!! He didn't know how to make it AOSP compatible -- I'll work on this later, after I get my code more robust.

Tags
cm10.1, exfat, ext4, external card, ntfs