5,605,904 Members 47,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Black Screen everything else works

Tip us?
 
nocode99
Old
#1  
nocode99's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 125
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] Black Screen everything else works

Hello,

My girlfriend recently dropped her S3 (no cracks) but now the LCD doesn't turn on. She's gotten a replacement, but I wanted to try and fix it so she can have a backup. Anybody know what I could look at? I've unscrewed the back portion and everything seems in tact. The home/back buttons light up, sound works, USB connection works, but nothing on the screen. I've searched around, but couldn't find anything relevant

Thanks!
 
nocode99
Old
#2  
nocode99's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 125
Join Date: Dec 2010
Well, I just noticed a very small faint crack in one of the corners of the LCD so that's probably the problem. Anyone know how to get the pictures off the phone? I've tried Samsung Kies but she had pattern password and I doubt the touch screen is working :/ I'm familiar with ADB also so not sure if there's a method I can use to extract that data
 
Da Kine
Old
(Last edited by Da Kine; 24th February 2013 at 08:18 PM.)
#3  
Da Kine's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1391
Posts: 2,155
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Black Screen everything else works

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99 View Post
Well, I just noticed a very small faint crack in one of the corners of the LCD so that's probably the problem. Anyone know how to get the pictures off the phone? I've tried Samsung Kies but she had pattern password and I doubt the touch screen is working :/ I'm familiar with ADB also so not sure if there's a method I can use to extract that data
Shouldn't the pictures be on the SD card?
Do you both have a s3? If you both have one and they are both rooted and both have the non touch clockworkmod recovery, you could boot both into recovery and use yours as a visual to make a backup of the rom and data on hers which will save on the SD card.

But yes it sounds like the LCD "cr@pped out".....i would just get it replace if its insured.

|When Emotion Goes Up, Logic Goes Down|

|Even If You Fall On You're Face, You're Still Moving Forward|
 
nocode99
Old
#4  
nocode99's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 125
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707BeastMode707 View Post
Shouldn't the pictures be on the SD card?
Do you both have a s3? If you both have one and they are both rooted and both have the non touch clockworkmod recovery, you could boot both into recovery and use yours as a visual to make a backup of the rom and data on hers which will save on the SD card.

|When Emotion Goes Up, Logic Goes Down|

|Even If You Fall On You're Face, You're Still Moving Forward|
No, it's installed on the device as she never put a SD card in and it wasn't rooted. I guess I can use the Android SDK to extract the contents? That's what I'm checking out now. She never backed up anything and I want to try and get her pictures off the phone
 
Da Kine
Old
#5  
Da Kine's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1391
Posts: 2,155
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Black Screen everything else works

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99 View Post
No, it's installed on the device as she never put a SD card in and it wasn't rooted. I guess I can use the Android SDK to extract the contents? That's what I'm checking out now. She never backed up anything and I want to try and get her pictures off the phone
Im not sure if you can, I've personally haven't tried it, sorry i couldn't help then.


|When Emotion Goes Up, Logic Goes Down|

|Even If You Fall On You're Face, You're Still Moving Forward|
 
mt3g
Old
#6  
mt3g's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3118
Posts: 6,904
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Black Screen everything else works

If USB recognises it plug it in and go through the contents from a computer?

T-Mobile SGS III
**HTC Uno Crew**
***Former RC Crew***
 
nocode99
Old
#7  
nocode99's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 125
Join Date: Dec 2010
She has a pattern-password so there seems to be no way around it. I can't see anything and no touch screen. My computer recognizes the device, but when I open it, there's nothing to click on.

My search has come up empty on how to get media on an internal storage on a broken LCD screen. I'd imagine there has to be a way...
 
nocode99
Old
#8  
nocode99's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 125
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99 View Post
She has a pattern-password so there seems to be no way around it. I can't see anything and no touch screen. My computer recognizes the device, but when I open it, there's nothing to click on.

My search has come up empty on how to get media on an internal storage on a broken LCD screen. I'd imagine there has to be a way...
I think I'm SOL on this since I doubt my GF enabled USB debugging which prevents me from even using the SDK or ADB. Thanks guys
 
Xcor3
Old
#9  
Xcor3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 171
Posts: 1,056
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default Re: [Q] Black Screen everything else works

Since she got a new one, try using that one as a guide to pass the password pattern.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...