Post Reply

[Q] Ram

OP eman5oh

24th February 2013, 08:41 AM   |  #11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 100
 
439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Re: [Q] Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator

Well, **** I think that they should have let it take away RAM from the user, I keep like 15 tabs open at all times and only having 1.2gigs free causes the browser to run out of memory and crash.

Weird, Android should keep all tabs open and reload them if you want to see them. My phone does exactly that.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app
24th February 2013, 11:25 AM   |  #12  
styckx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,463
 
2,808 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator

Well, **** I think that they should have let it take away RAM from the user, I keep like 15 tabs open at all times and only having 1.2gigs free causes the browser to run out of memory and crash.

15 tabs open is considered excessive on a laptop and low end desktops. Let alone a tablet. As is the case though when it was allowed to rob from the userspace RAM is it was fragmenting it.. Which in a lot of cases probably left you with less usable RAM then you get now.

Fragmented RAM = There is free RAM but because it isnt a contiguous block the OS can't use it. It's sits there completely wasted until x-y-z happens.

Two great pictures showing what fragmented memory is and why it's a problem. These are about Netware servers but the same principles apply.. Fragmentation = Bad and a waste of space.

External Fragmentation



Internal Fragmentation

Last edited by styckx; 24th February 2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: fixed auto spelling correction mistake.. Bane of my existence.
The Following User Says Thank You to styckx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 03:33 PM   |  #13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
510 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx

15 tabs open is considered excessive on a laptop and low end desktops. Let alone a tablet. As is the case though when it was allowed to rob from the userspace RAM is it was fragmenting it.. Which in a lot of cases probably left you with less usable RAM then you get now.

Fragmented RAM = There is free RAM but because it isnt a contiguous block the OS can't use it. It's sits there completely wasted until x-y-z happens.

Two great pictures showing what fragmented memory is and why it's a problem. These are about Netware servers but the same principles apply.. Fragmentation = Bad and a waste of space.

External Fragmentation



Internal Fragmentation

I usually keep at least 25 tabs open in my first gen i5 laptop without problems (I have 6gbs of RAM though).
And damn that sucks, but would the the unusable RAM ever reach 400mbs?
24th February 2013, 03:48 PM   |  #14  
styckx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,463
 
2,808 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator

I usually keep at least 25 tabs open in my first gen i5 laptop without problems (I have 6gbs of RAM though).
And damn that sucks, but would the the unusable RAM ever reach 400mbs?

That I can't answer.. I just would be illogically guessing at that point.

Yeah, extra RAM helps on the PC end of things with browser tabs.. It can start bogging down on the CPU though with ads, flash, and scripts running. My ADD can't deal with more then 4 tabs at once.. I'd go nuts with 25.
24th February 2013, 10:20 PM   |  #15  
iamikon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,382
 
1,588 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Re: [Q] Ram
I would also suggest a lighterweight browser. I use lightning browser mostly. And chrome beta only when a page doesn't render something properly in lightning.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 10 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank