[Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?

25th February 2013, 12:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Hello. My GS2's power button is working about 20% of the time. Usually what happens is a short press acts as if it was a long press and the long press menu comes up and then if you press the button again it restarts. I had been running CM9 on it for about 6 months without any issues. I started overclocking about a month ago so I thought it might be a problem with the kernel I installed so I followed the tut to return it to stock using heimdall but after everything was reset the issue was still, well, an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to fix the power button but I bought this phone on ebay so I can't go to Samsung with a warranty. I have never taken my phone apart, but is it possible to fix it myself? I also read that you can install CWM touch and wake the phone up via volume buttons so how would I go about doing that? What are your suggestions? Thanks.
25th February 2013, 12:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Sonora, Ca
Thanks Meter: 35

183 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieland959

Hello. My GS2's power button is working about 20% of the time. Usually what happens is a short press acts as if it was a long press and the long press menu comes up and then if you press the button again it restarts. I had been running CM9 on it for about 6 months without any issues. I started overclocking about a month ago so I thought it might be a problem with the kernel I installed so I followed the tut to return it to stock using heimdall but after everything was reset the issue was still, well, an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to fix the power button but I bought this phone on ebay so I can't go to Samsung with a warranty. I have never taken my phone apart, but is it possible to fix it myself? I also read that you can install CWM touch and wake the phone up via volume buttons so how would I go about doing that? What are your suggestions? Thanks.

have you tried looking at this thread yet?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2047876
25th February 2013, 01:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelfreak

have you tried looking at this thread yet?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2047876

Yeah. I tried everything there except for taking it apart. I also found another thread that suggested that I enable the slide across screen to wake tweak from sirah kernel and that's what I have going right now.
25th February 2013, 04:41 AM   |  #4  
Flag Sonora, Ca
Thanks Meter: 35

183 posts
More
Re: [Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?
I think your best bet is to replace the main board from a busted screen phone on eBay or continue what you are doing.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app
25th February 2013, 03:10 PM   |  #5  
Flag St.Louis Metro
Thanks Meter: 625

1,135 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?
I have warrantied a Samsung phone purchased on Ebay with no issues.

If you are not under warranty, Mobile tech videos can fix that power button. The owner is an XDA member and has fixed phones for me previously. The service is $40.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread