Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,531 Members 51,137 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?

Tip us?

Wieland959
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?

Hello. My GS2's power button is working about 20% of the time. Usually what happens is a short press acts as if it was a long press and the long press menu comes up and then if you press the button again it restarts. I had been running CM9 on it for about 6 months without any issues. I started overclocking about a month ago so I thought it might be a problem with the kernel I installed so I followed the tut to return it to stock using heimdall but after everything was reset the issue was still, well, an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to fix the power button but I bought this phone on ebay so I can't go to Samsung with a warranty. I have never taken my phone apart, but is it possible to fix it myself? I also read that you can install CWM touch and wake the phone up via volume buttons so how would I go about doing that? What are your suggestions? Thanks.

chapelfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieland959 View Post
Hello. My GS2's power button is working about 20% of the time. Usually what happens is a short press acts as if it was a long press and the long press menu comes up and then if you press the button again it restarts. I had been running CM9 on it for about 6 months without any issues. I started overclocking about a month ago so I thought it might be a problem with the kernel I installed so I followed the tut to return it to stock using heimdall but after everything was reset the issue was still, well, an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to fix the power button but I bought this phone on ebay so I can't go to Samsung with a warranty. I have never taken my phone apart, but is it possible to fix it myself? I also read that you can install CWM touch and wake the phone up via volume buttons so how would I go about doing that? What are your suggestions? Thanks.
have you tried looking at this thread yet?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2047876

Wieland959
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelfreak View Post
have you tried looking at this thread yet?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2047876
Yeah. I tried everything there except for taking it apart. I also found another thread that suggested that I enable the slide across screen to wake tweak from sirah kernel and that's what I have going right now.

chapelfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Default Re: [Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?

I think your best bet is to replace the main board from a busted screen phone on eBay or continue what you are doing.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app
Current Phone:
Black Nexus 5 32GB
Rom: AICP
Kernel: ElementalX 1.05cm

Previous Phones:
Galaxy SIII (Gave to wife since Xperia TL died)
Samsung Galaxy S II (exchanged for Sony Xperia TL -> gave to wife)
Windows phone Samsung Focus S sold for Galaxy SII
Samsung Infuse (destroyed by forklift)
HTC Desire (retired)
Motorola Droid (returned)
LG feature phone

Red_81
Old
Thanks Meter 624

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] My Power Button is on it's last leg. What should I do?

I have warrantied a Samsung phone purchased on Ebay with no issues.

If you are not under warranty, Mobile tech videos can fix that power button. The owner is an XDA member and has fixed phones for me previously. The service is $40.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
ADB Portable
If you like the files please donate

Forum Rule #10: Help others if you can.

Currently Running: ShoStock on my S4