Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 46,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Quick And Dirty Return to 100% Stock for Evo 3D/V (S-OFF Only)

Tip us?

ramjet73
Old
(Last edited by ramjet73; 9th April 2013 at 04:17 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4484
Prompt [Guide] Quick And Dirty Return to 100% Stock for Evo 3D/V (S-OFF Only)

It seems like the questions about returning to 100% stock are coming up more often lately, possibly because more users are moving on to other devices. Whatever the reason, I thought a simple guide might be useful to avoid having to duplicate this info in other threads and PM's.

This procedure should work for any CDMA or GSM Evo 3D/V that is S-OFF. There is no way to get an S-ON device that has been HTC unlocked back to 100% stock since relocking the bootloader will result in a status of "relocked".

Here are the steps to do it:

1. Flash the "query_bootloader.zip" file attached to this post in recovery. If the status message shows your bootloader is "unlocked" or "relocked" flash the "lock_bootloader.zip" file from the same post to reset it to "locked".

2. Download an RUU.exe (Windows) or RUU.zip (bootloader) file for your model from this page and flash it using the appropriate method.

If you use the .exe version from Windows it works best if you put the phone into "fastboot USB" mode, and you may have to cancel the RUU utility and restart if it hangs after flashing the stock bootloader when you start with a custom hboot installed.

To flash the RUU.zip via the bootloader it must be renamed to PG86IMG.zip and placed in the root of your SD card, and may need to be flashed twice if a custom hboot is installed the first time it is flashed.

I recommend using the latest version for your model but any compatible RUU can be flashed while S-OFF. It's also a good idea to boot the ROM without doing any setup after flashing the RUU to make sure the ROM has been reset to the stock version.

3. Confirm that the bootloader shows "***LOCKED***" on the top line of the screen and the HBOOT version is a stock bootloader for your device.

4. Issue the "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" command from a PC.
Note: Make 100% sure you have the stock bootloader installed before issuing this command or you will brick your phone.

Your phone will now be 100% stock.

ramjet73
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dR.BaNaNe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for the nice toturial but im just wondering one thing.
If you fail with the command
Code:
Select Code
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
, will your phone get hardbricked or is it possible to flash a recovery and start over again with fastboot?

ramjet73
Old
(Last edited by ramjet73; 29th March 2013 at 12:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dR.BaNaNe View Post
Thanks for the nice toturial but im just wondering one thing.
If you fail with the command
Code:
Select Code
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
, will your phone get hardbricked or is it possible to flash a recovery and start over again with fastboot?
If that command fails nothing will happen and your phone will stay S-OFF but the odds of that happening are very small unless your phone is not in "fastboot usb" mode when you issue it.

The risk involves issuing that command when you have a custom hboot like JBear or Revolutionary installed because those bootloaders are not signed and will cause the phone to brick. In that scenario you would not be able to get into recovery.

ramjet73
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dR.BaNaNe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Ok thanks man.
I LoVe HTC
Tested devices:

matt965
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Ok, in the RUU's I can download I have 2 problems:

1) How do I know which one to download? I see a few that have Sprint ICS. I have the Virgin Mobile phone Evo V 4g. Which one would I get?
2) I have already tried downloading a few of them, and each time it stops at a different point and windows says the zip file is not valid. Is there another place I can download the correct RUU?

I need to get this done soon as I have a replacement headed this way.

ramjet73
Old
Thanks Meter 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt965 View Post
Ok, in the RUU's I can download I have 2 problems:

1) How do I know which one to download? I see a few that have Sprint ICS. I have the Virgin Mobile phone Evo V 4g. Which one would I get?
This is the correct RUU for your phone.
Quote:
2) I have already tried downloading a few of them, and each time it stops at a different point and windows says the zip file is not valid. Is there another place I can download the correct RUU?
If that link doesn't work for you the same RUU is available here, including an MD5 checksum you can use to verify the download.
Quote:
I need to get this done soon as I have a replacement headed this way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

birddseedd
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet73 View Post
1. Flash the "query_bootloader.zip" file attached to this post in recovery. If the status message shows your bootloader is "unlocked" or "relocked" flash the "lock_bootloader.zip" file from the same post to reset it to "locked".
how do i do this if i have no working recovery? iv been trying to ruu with RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.08.651.3_Radio_0.97.10. 0808_NV_SPCS_1.31_003_release_219445_signed.exe

iv tried many ruu's but only 2 have ever gone through. when it does i just get reboots on htc screen. recovery does not seem to work.

thanks for the help. hope i havnt bricked my phone

ramjet73
Old
Thanks Meter 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
how do i do this if i have no working recovery? iv been trying to ruu with RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.08.651.3_Radio_0.97.10. 0808_NV_SPCS_1.31_003_release_219445_signed.exe

iv tried many ruu's but only 2 have ever gone through. when it does i just get reboots on htc screen. recovery does not seem to work.

thanks for the help. hope i havnt bricked my phone
This is the wrong thread for what you need to do and I posted a link to the correct guide in the thread you opened in the development forum that got moved to Q&A.

When you are ready to download the RUU look for the 2.89.651.2 version.

ramjet73

matt965
Old
Thanks Meter 1
thank you ramjet for the link. my phone is now 99% stock. The 1% is because of the S-OFF part of the bootloader. It shows it is locked so that's good, but I think that means I can't turn S-ON, as it says in the first post. Oh well, hopefully they will accept it like that.

birddseedd
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt965 View Post
thank you ramjet for the link. my phone is now 99% stock. The 1% is because of the S-OFF part of the bootloader. It shows it is locked so that's good, but I think that means I can't turn S-ON, as it says in the first post. Oh well, hopefully they will accept it like that.
if you figure out how to get jb roms to boot post back so we all can know how