Post Reply

A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.

OP jordanetodd

24th February 2013, 10:12 PM   |  #21  
jordanetodd's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Huntington Beach
Thanks Meter: 46
 
249 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Re: A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Knave

Well, a quick update. I have a build. But I did something wrong, somewhere.

The zip's flash with no problem (TWRP), but it just keeps booting into recovery. Maybe I'll try CWM for ****s and giggles. But if it doesn't work, I'm just going to drop the project and someone else can pick it up. Gotta get back to my college work.

If i can get WiFi working on Ubuntu for my macbook, then ill be starting my port tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
24th February 2013, 10:15 PM   |  #22  
jayRokk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rack City
Thanks Meter: 2,154
 
3,019 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Re: A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Knave

Well, a quick update. I have a build. But I did something wrong, somewhere.

The zip's flash with no problem (TWRP), but it just keeps booting into recovery. Maybe I'll try CWM for ****s and giggles. But if it doesn't work, I'm just going to drop the project and someone else can pick it up. Gotta get back to my college work.

I talked to some Sprint/Verizon S3 users who ported as well and they both got the same thing . a non boot ROM.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
24th February 2013, 10:43 PM   |  #23  
Dave the Knave's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 348
 
1,652 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayRokk

I talked to some Sprint/Verizon S3 users who ported as well and they both got the same thing . a non boot ROM.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Well, that's a bit of relief. I guess it will happen eventually. Just probably not by me
25th February 2013, 12:03 AM   |  #24  
jayRokk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rack City
Thanks Meter: 2,154
 
3,019 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Re: A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Knave

Well, that's a bit of relief. I guess it will happen eventually. Just probably not by me

So far only one person on a Verizon S3 has it booted up

He's in RootzWiki.. Let me fetch the link


Edit: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/39299-rom...hantom-022213/ [ROM][WIP]-Ubuntu-Touch-on-d2vzw-[Dev-Preview][Phantom]-[02/22/13]

Talk to him and see what he did to get it to boot up

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by jayRokk; 25th February 2013 at 12:08 AM.
25th February 2013, 01:28 AM   |  #25  
theROMinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 287
 
1,096 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Re: A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanetodd

If i can get WiFi working on Ubuntu for my macbook, then ill be starting my port tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Do you also have the retina mbp? There seems to be no drivers for mine

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
25th February 2013, 01:38 AM   |  #26  
jordanetodd's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Huntington Beach
Thanks Meter: 46
 
249 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theROMinator

Do you also have the retina mbp? There seems to be no drivers for mine

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

when you type "sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name" (with no quotes) into terminal, what does it tell you?
25th February 2013, 03:33 AM   |  #27  
Getz2oo3's Avatar
Member
Flag The 'Ville
Thanks Meter: 3
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Knave

It's funny you posted this.

As I type this I'm currently working on the port for the AT&T S3. It's about 60% or so finished.

From what I know so far. Ubuntu Touch only supports data on GSM - - soo....going by that...Technically we should be able to get data on D2ATT right???? RIGHT???? lol


Anyways - -Bravo! I'll be following you closely til you put up your build. I really wanna try this out. Buddy of mine with a Nexus 7 already has it - he said it's pretty cool. Yar
25th February 2013, 04:36 AM   |  #28  
willbs94's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lebanon, MO
Thanks Meter: 41
 
298 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Re: A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2oo3

From what I know so far. Ubuntu Touch only supports data on GSM - - soo....going by that...Technically we should be able to get data on D2ATT right???? RIGHT???? lol


Anyways - -Bravo! I'll be following you closely til you put up your build. I really wanna try this out. Buddy of mine with a Nexus 7 already has it - he said it's pretty cool. Yar

Something was said about no APN settings were set. Soooo idk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
25th February 2013, 01:34 PM   |  #29  
jordanetodd's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Huntington Beach
Thanks Meter: 46
 
249 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Re: A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.
Finished porting last night haven't had a chance to test, so I'll let you know later today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jordanetodd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2013, 05:02 PM   |  #30  
ima.monstaaa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
136 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Anyone who is looking to use this as a daily driver is going to be very disappointed. None of the apps are fully functional and I don't think mobile data is going to work at all. Using it on my Nexus, I was able to look through the UI, open a few broswer pages ( but entering text into fields on the page seemed to only work for a few characters), and use the Gmail and Facebook app. The camera did not function, the side stage had not been implemented, 90% of the apps are simply icons on the desktop or a nonfunctional splash screen. This is intended for developers to get an idea of what they're developing their apps for. If you know what you're doing, you may be able to get a little more functionality out of it by making some changes via SSH/ADB, but it does not seem that there is even much you can do with that as of now. That being said, I was super excited to try it out on my Nexus 7 and only used it for about an hour before I reflashed Android back to it. About an hour was all I needed to do everything it had to offer. I do believe it has great potential and is something that can compete with Android, just at this point its nothing more than "This is how it might look."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ima.monstaaa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in AT&T Galaxy S III General by ThreadRank