5,599,394 Members 37,962 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Help] Stupid Question Thread, GNote Edition

Tip us?

captemo
Old
(Last edited by captemo; 21st February 2013 at 09:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 864
Default finally rooted

finally rooted.

however, when i plug in usb to phone, i now get "hardware i.d. missing" ???

i have superuser icon on phone

any ideas?
is more information needed?
if so what?

got the i.d. number thing figured out, re install drivers.

Note IS however different than Infuse.

am i supposed to drag and drop files? and do the go to usb storage???

attempted to copy jellybam over (d&d) said unable to copy

i know its something stupid, but thats why i am here

btswein
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froid View Post
That is it but I can't confirm it works with cm10(most likely won't). You have a couple options without rooting. Grab the latest Odin tar from team wins site and use twrp or flash Braways version and download the latest flashable zip of either cwm or twrp and update your recovery. If you want to keep trying with what you have, maybe use a different cable or usb port and see if that makes a difference. Good luck

Edit: Also try running Odin as admin if you haven't already
So, just so I'm reading this correctly, I could use ODIN to push TWRP, then from there use TWRP to install the CyanogenMod zip file? CM is CWM (at least it was on my Cappy) based so the CM built-in CWM would overwrite TWRP anyways upon installation, correct?

Thank you for all your help thus far!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to btswein For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Froid
Old
Thanks Meter 1273

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Help] Stupid Question Thread, GNote Edition

You can flash cm or anything else for that matter with twrp just the same as cwm. Flashing cm will not override or replace twrp with cwm. I prefer twrp and would recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Froid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

btswein
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froid View Post
You can flash cm or anything else for that matter with twrp just the same as cwm. Flashing cm will not override or replace twrp with cwm. I prefer twrp and would recommend it.
Thanks! One last question, (okay, two.) Is it beneficial to copy the stock ROM backup to a computer, I will be doing a factory reset post-backup, but pre-CM flash would the backup be gone when I factory reset?
The Following User Says Thank You to btswein For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Froid
Old
Thanks Meter 1273

DONATE TO ME

No. The backup will be on either internal or external storage(you're choice). As long as you don't format the internal or external storage, everything will still be there. That being said it really cant hurt to copy the backup to your pc before flashing and is probably a good idea. As a matter of fact most users keep a copy of their storage either on pc or cloud....just in case
The Following User Says Thank You to Froid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

noobiedumb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default my first dumb question.

just rooted my att gnote with cwr. i did a kies backup first then titanium backup after. I want to flash black star X but I don't want to loose my app settings or personal files eg. pics vids etc. my son would be upset if he has to restart angry birds from beginning.

Bubbajoe40356
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4349

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiedumb View Post
just rooted my att gnote with cwr. i did a kies backup first then titanium backup after. I want to flash black star X but I don't want to loose my app settings or personal files eg. pics vids etc. my son would be upset if he has to restart angry birds from beginning.

First go into recovery (CWM or TWRP) and make a nandroid back up of your stock rooted rom.
Make sure to wipedavilk, cache, data, and system. Flash your rom (gapps of needed).Restore all your apps. Once restored (from the play store is best) then use titanium backup. Restore data to angry birds.
Your pics and vids should be fine on your sd card as long as you do not wipe the external (assuming that's the one they are on) card.
If you use a launcher like Nova ... Even your desk top can be backed up and restored.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

"If you got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow" ...
John Wayne

My Theme Chooser Themes
^ Click That
Best post EVER
< Click that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbajoe40356 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

noobiedumb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajoe40356 View Post
First go into recovery (CWM or TWRP) and make a nandroid back up of your stock rooted rom.
Make sure to wipedavilk, cache, data, and system. Flash your rom (gapps of needed).Restore all your apps. Once restored (from the play store is best) then use titanium backup. Restore data to angry birds.
Your pics and vids should be fine on your sd card as long as you do not wipe the external (assuming that's the one they are on) card.
If you use a launcher like Nova ... Even your desk top can be backed up and restored.
my TBU is located on phone memory /mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup will factory wipe destroy it? do I need to move to ex sdcard first?

rquiett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1392

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
my TBU is located on phone memory /mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup will factory wipe destroy it? do I need to move to ex sdcard first?
It should not but it doesn't hurt to make a copy and through it on the external for safe keeping

"The flames of freedom. How lovely. How just. Ahh, my precious anarchy... "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rquiett For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bubbajoe40356
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4349

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Just a note .... you are doing the reset in your recovery ... not in settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

"If you got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow" ...
John Wayne

My Theme Chooser Themes
^ Click That
Best post EVER
< Click that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbajoe40356 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]