Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 40,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google lost contacts

Tip us?

mroien
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Google lost contacts

Every now and then my contacts will be lost and in setting > Google > Sync Contacts will say it synced but all my contacts are gone. Some times I can just re sync and it works but other times it doesn't. Is there a way for this to not happen?

Or sometimes it will say Sync Contacts has an error and will not sync to Google and I'll have different contacts on my phone and on Google contacts

b11aze
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroien View Post
Every now and then my contacts will be lost and in setting > Google > Sync Contacts will say it synced but all my contacts are gone. Some times I can just re sync and it works but other times it doesn't. Is there a way for this to not happen?

Or sometimes it will say Sync Contacts has an error and will not sync to Google and I'll have different contacts on my phone and on Google contacts

make sure when you save a new contact that the name is saved as a gmail contact and not on your phone. there are actually two contact "books" on you phone, the internal phone contacts and the gmail contacts.

mroien
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by b11aze View Post
make sure when you save a new contact that the name is saved as a gmail contact and not on your phone. there are actually two contact "books" on you phone, the internal phone contacts and the gmail contacts.
Yeah that is not it. I always save new contacts under gmail not phone. I think its something to do with syncing with google

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2043
Quote:
Yeah that is not it. I always save new contacts under gmail not phone. I think its something to do with syncing with google
Personally never had that issue. Occasionally sync goes down for a minute, then comes back up. If you are like me and keep sync off and changes roms, if you added a contact and didn't sync, you could miss a few that were added.

So i'd jut double check to be safe.
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

The difference between the strong and weak willed is that the weak traverse with wounds covered up and hide when attacked, while the strong stride on with open hands and tears. Wounds bared open, and will continue to go on, even when broken at their core

Nexus 5
Teh Kernel kill count: 3
</3

If you wanna chat, message me.
Xbox Live: teh roxxorz [Live is up]
PSN [PS3 | PS4]: tehroxxorz666 [Where you'll likely find me]

My dropbox is a little hungry again, if you'd like a dropbox, register via my link, and we'll both get an extra 500mb storage. Thank you in advance you beautiful person you.

topherk
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Quote:

What ROM are you using? Stock, Stock rooted, TW-based, AOSP (4.1.2, 4.2.1, or 4.2.2)? I've ran all of these (and then some) and haven't run into anything like this, but if it's ROM-specific, knowing what you're running will help narrow it down.

Cheers!

loaderboy
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Default same thing here

Sometimes my phone log just shows numbers and when I check my contact list it's empty.
Reboot phone and they are all back. My contacts are on Google but was wondering if there is a way to store them on the phone also.
Some way to download to a file on the phone?

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13268

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Google lost contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderboy View Post
Sometimes my phone log just shows numbers and when I check my contact list it's empty.
Reboot phone and they are all back. My contacts are on Google but was wondering if there is a way to store them on the phone also.
Some way to download to a file on the phone?
Go to the contacts app, press menu > export
Then select the account and it'll export to your scarf as a CSV file
There are also apps that let you import/export your contacts as an XML file
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

loaderboy
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
Thanks. Done. I don't think I will ever find all the little tweaks and tricks to this thing. Every time I use it I learn something.

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13268

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Google lost contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderboy View Post
Thanks. Done. I don't think I will ever find all the little tweaks and tricks to this thing. Every time I use it I learn something.
Hahaha, its actually a general Android feature, not just specific to the S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
Lol "scarf", sorry about that i meant "sdcard"
Dang autocorrect!!
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!