FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Google lost contacts

25th February 2013, 12:23 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Every now and then my contacts will be lost and in setting > Google > Sync Contacts will say it synced but all my contacts are gone. Some times I can just re sync and it works but other times it doesn't. Is there a way for this to not happen?

Or sometimes it will say Sync Contacts has an error and will not sync to Google and I'll have different contacts on my phone and on Google contacts
 
 
25th February 2013, 12:27 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroien

Every now and then my contacts will be lost and in setting > Google > Sync Contacts will say it synced but all my contacts are gone. Some times I can just re sync and it works but other times it doesn't. Is there a way for this to not happen?

Or sometimes it will say Sync Contacts has an error and will not sync to Google and I'll have different contacts on my phone and on Google contacts



make sure when you save a new contact that the name is saved as a gmail contact and not on your phone. there are actually two contact "books" on you phone, the internal phone contacts and the gmail contacts.
25th February 2013, 01:12 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by b11aze

make sure when you save a new contact that the name is saved as a gmail contact and not on your phone. there are actually two contact "books" on you phone, the internal phone contacts and the gmail contacts.

Yeah that is not it. I always save new contacts under gmail not phone. I think its something to do with syncing with google
25th February 2013, 01:45 AM |#4  
teh roxxorz's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,120
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroien

Yeah that is not it. I always save new contacts under gmail not phone. I think its something to do with syncing with google

Personally never had that issue. Occasionally sync goes down for a minute, then comes back up. If you are like me and keep sync off and changes roms, if you added a contact and didn't sync, you could miss a few that were added.

So i'd jut double check to be safe.
25th February 2013, 10:15 PM |#5  
topherk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 496
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroien

Every now and then my contacts will be lost and in setting > Google > Sync Contacts will say it synced but all my contacts are gone. Some times I can just re sync and it works but other times it doesn't. Is there a way for this to not happen?

Or sometimes it will say Sync Contacts has an error and will not sync to Google and I'll have different contacts on my phone and on Google contacts

What ROM are you using? Stock, Stock rooted, TW-based, AOSP (4.1.2, 4.2.1, or 4.2.2)? I've ran all of these (and then some) and haven't run into anything like this, but if it's ROM-specific, knowing what you're running will help narrow it down.

Cheers!
15th March 2013, 02:05 AM |#6  
loaderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Matlacha, Fl.
Thanks Meter: 220
 
More
same thing here
Sometimes my phone log just shows numbers and when I check my contact list it's empty.
Reboot phone and they are all back. My contacts are on Google but was wondering if there is a way to store them on the phone also.
Some way to download to a file on the phone?
15th March 2013, 02:42 AM |#7  
CNexus's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag ~/android
Thanks Meter: 13,814
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Google lost contacts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderboy

Sometimes my phone log just shows numbers and when I check my contact list it's empty.
Reboot phone and they are all back. My contacts are on Google but was wondering if there is a way to store them on the phone also.
Some way to download to a file on the phone?

Go to the contacts app, press menu > export
Then select the account and it'll export to your scarf as a CSV file
There are also apps that let you import/export your contacts as an XML file
The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2013, 09:48 PM |#8  
loaderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Matlacha, Fl.
Thanks Meter: 220
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus

Go to the contacts app, press menu > export
Then select the account and it'll export to your scarf as a CSV file
There are also apps that let you import/export your contacts as an XML file

Thanks. Done. I don't think I will ever find all the little tweaks and tricks to this thing. Every time I use it I learn something.
15th March 2013, 10:43 PM |#9  
CNexus's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag ~/android
Thanks Meter: 13,814
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Google lost contacts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderboy

Thanks. Done. I don't think I will ever find all the little tweaks and tricks to this thing. Every time I use it I learn something.

Hahaha, its actually a general Android feature, not just specific to the S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus

Go to the contacts app, press menu > export
Then select the account and it'll export to your scarf as a CSV file
There are also apps that let you import/export your contacts as an XML file

Lol "scarf", sorry about that i meant "sdcard"
Dang autocorrect!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes