[APP][v1.8 (+US)] SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage

Search This thread

thyranus

Feb 8, 2011
works on i9100 with ParanoidAndroid 2.99!!

GT-I9100 / Rom Paranoid Android 2.99 beta9 (android 4.2.1) / kernel 3.0.15 CM / App Version 1.8 / Thyranus :good: :victory:

lov3som3

Nov 30, 2010
Can't see SGS3 in my computer anymore

After installing and applying ( no errors) still doesn't mount in UMS mode. So tried going back to normal (utp`) .

it still doesn't show up in my computer anymore. Can't copy to it..anything..

SOLUTIONS?

Gervin

Oct 5, 2006
New York
Help, please!!!!!!!!!

Ok, for the life of me I can't get this to work, and it's REALLY upsetting me.
Just a note: I'm on CLEARROM for SGS3.

Here's what I've tried so far....

1) Installed SGS3 Easy UMS
a) Ran through initial try at this.... didn't work.
b) Ran it again and paid attention to errors.
I get the following error....
" /storage/extSdCard is being used by [android.process.media] " , bla bla bla
So I ran the following commands through terminal emulator,
su
#!/system/bin/sh
killall -9 android.process.media
killall -9 mediaserver

c) Ran it again, and got the new error, " /storage/extSdCard is being used by [Zygote android.process.media] "

Also, the damn "MTP" application keeps starting to try to mount the card.

Sometimes I get no error until mounting and then get "COULD NOT MOUNT CARD [1]"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Calgon, take me away!

Any help, and I'll love you forever. MTP - worst idea ever on what I consider a perfect phone (SGS3).

-------------------------------------------

BTW - ever since trying any of this, my PC won't see my phone even in MTP mode. (Card mounted as I can see images from the phone).
Thankfully I created a image backup before playing with this.

Last edited:

SomeDooD123

Sep 13, 2010
Tried using this on my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3 running PAC-Man ROM v19.9.0 (4.2.1) and the microSD card shows up as a CD Drive and I cannot access most folders in it.

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Works on the Galaxy Note 2 with JB 4.1.2!

Works perfectly well on my Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 2 after using Busybox Installer :)

Finally able to do some serious file management!!! YEAH!!!

Now we only need a way to access the INTERNAL SD Card ;)

sairaku

Mar 11, 2011
City of Churches
This works on the Note2 4g. As others have pointed out, only the external SD, but that is better than nothing at all. Thanks for all the hard work! :D

sxg75

Feb 27, 2011
Confirmed working on Motorola Razr HD XT 925 (edit: rooted stock JB) - Following the recommended steps under Windows7-Device-Manager.

I'm using USB Mass Storage ever since on my mobile phones - since I'm always syncing and backing'up lots of stuff on my external sd, which I need when I'm offline. To bad google would kill USM :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
To bad google would kill USM :rolleyes:

If that's not indicated somewhere here (I've read so much on the subject I can't remember WHERE I read it), apparently this was done so that users would not corrupt the device's operation.

In my opinion it's simply so that Google doesn't have to deal with the consequences if you mess up. In any case, as we still don't have access to the internal file system, there is little that can be messed up even with simple external card file access, so as far as I'm concerned it's pure lawyerly BS, of the type "warning! you can choke to death if you put your head in this plastic bag!" or whatever the exact sentence is on plastic packaging bags.

In other words, it's not a 'bug' but a 'feature'. Let's not get started on this if you want to keep your sanity, by now you should have realized we are governed/controlled by idiots, things are getting worse (just following daily politics should convince you how removed from reality these parasites are) and there is no hope in the short term of any change. Enough said.

vx2wiileo

Feb 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N8000

Hey, This app works perfectly.. i'm loving it.

Currently running Android Revolution HD 4.3 custom OC Kernel

Cheers!

Kelvin-Note2

Feb 25, 2013
Hello to those facing the "SD card reporting as a CD-ROM drive, as oppose to removable storage" syndrome, after doing some searches on this topic, one contributor on another site provided a thought to consider. He said that if you go the properties of the CD ROM drive (that's supposed to be your SD card) and go the Hardware tab, you will that there is more than one drive for DVD/CD ROM drives, and to disable the one that pertains to your device. Now I have tried that but that did not work, but it is interesting to see that there are 2 of those, when they should be only one. Perhaps its a clue to reaching a solution? For those (more specifically rooted Note 2 owners) who had the app work for them, do you show 1 OR 2 DVD/CD ROM drives? I look forward to your response. Be Blessed

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
For those (more specifically rooted Note 2 owners) who had the app work for them, do you show 1 OR 2 DVD/CD ROM drives? I look forward to your response. Be Blessed
I just checked for you and indeed I have two drives showing, but they are listed as "Removable Disks", NOT CD drives...

Of course only one is accessible (the SD Card), the other one, presumably the so-called internal SD Card (in reality the device's internal memory), is not *yet* (hopefully in the future) accessible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Zaphord

Feb 13, 2011
Error could not get path extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1

Doesn't work with JellyBean 4.1.2 sotck ROM on my I9300.
Get the Error: could not get path ..... extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1

Kelvin-Note2

Feb 25, 2013
Old faithful:

Thanks. I believe we are on the right track then. The reason why it is showing as "CD-ROM" drive is because there are two CD/DVD drives. Now, the question becomes, how did it get there? I did some other readings and I read that if you installed the Verizon software for Note, like I believe to have done, it will cause this issue too? Thoughts anyone? Am I not on accurate? Be Blessed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Doesn't work with JellyBean 4.1.2 sotck ROM on my I9300.
Get the Error: could not get path ..... extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1

Just the obvious question, are you rooted? Be Blessed

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Old faithful:

Thanks. I believe we are on the right track then. The reason why it is showing as "CD-ROM" drive is because there are two CD/DVD drives. Now, the question becomes, how did it get there? I did some other readings and I read that if you installed the Verizon software for Note, like I believe to have done, it will cause this issue too? Thoughts anyone? Am I not on accurate? Be Blessed

I have a similar issue with an external hard drive of mine with a read only partition that appears as a CD. I don't know about Verizon as I'm with Bell, but that's something to look at. Hope it helps.

Kelvin-Note2

Feb 25, 2013
I have a similar issue with an external hard drive of mine with a read only partition that appears as a CD. I don't know about Verizon as I'm with Bell, but that's something to look at. Hope it helps.

Old faithful:

Thanks again. How did you correct your external harddrive issue? Be Blessed

briant97

Jun 12, 2007
Can someone tell me what the commands are to do these same actions from command prompt. This is on a Samsung Note 2 At&t.

Enabled UMS mode

Enabled MTP mode

Mount SD Card.

I am trying to write a tasker task that will kill all applications running and then run UMS mode. My car stereo is picky about what is running i guess. I always have to run advanced task killer to kill all apps and then run UMS mode. This allows my mp3 to play just fine.

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Old faithful:

Thanks again. How did you correct your external harddrive issue? Be Blessed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers

That partition was part of the 'Security Feature'.

FYI, I just looked it up, it's the Iomega Ego and the security is called "Encrypt Plus" . Typical over the top attitude of major corporations doing stuff behind our backs 'for our own good'.

Eventually after a lot of complaints, the company finally came up with a tool to remove the partition.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app will make the external (not the internal!) microSD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3 (International, US versions, International LTE) available as USB mass storage device.

Also reported working on Galaxy Note 2, see compability list below.

Most important commands in this app:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27282116&postcount=58
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28151372&postcount=133
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28670285&postcount=1

Thanks d4fseeker :good:

:angel: If you like the app, please consider donating by buying this app or via PayPal (see link on the left, below username etc.) :good: Some people gave 1 star reviews to the app although I think I'm extremely clear with stating that this is only a donation app - but I can't change that :(

Compability
    Code:
    MODEL / ROM / KERNEL / APP VERSION / CONFIRMED BY

WORKING:
    GT-I9305 (LTE) / ? / ? / 1.8 / Jarmezrocks
    SGH-I317 (AT&T Note 2) / I317UCALJ2 / ? / 1.8 / dabuck
    GT-N7100 (Intl Note 2) / ? / ? / 1.8 / geovass
    GT-I9300 (International) / Stock (LFB) / Stock / 1.5 beta / woaloo
    GT-I9300 (International) / CM10 / ? / 1.5beta / lubluchka
    SGH-I535 (VZW) / ? / ? / 1.4beta / open1your1eyes0
    SGH-T999 (T-Mobile US) / ? / ? / 1.4beta / gr4p3s
    ?

NOT WORKING:
    ?
    I can only test it on my own GT-I9300; please report back your success with the information needed in the table above.

If you have a custom kernel, you have to make sure there is one of the three possible lun files available (see Problems section).

Regarding US versions: Starting with 1.4beta, it also works with US versions (see here). This may not be the case for all variants, so please report back with the information needed in the compability table.

Problems? Not working?
    Report the exact problem, model/ROM/kernel/etc., the exact error message and the results of the following commands (use Terminal Emulator or something similar):
    Code:
    mount

ls /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
    ls /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun_ex/file
    ls /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file

mount | sed 's/ on / /g' | grep extSdCard | cut -f 1 -d ' '
    Note: Only ONE of the three ls commands must be successful (file exists)

You may need to replace "extSdCard" in the last command with the mount point name of your external sd card (e.g. external_sd or sdcard1 for CM10)

If the last command does fail, there is probably something wrong with your BusyBox installation. You should reinstall it - I recommend this app.

On some Win7 PCs, these steps may be needed:
    Now follow these steps:

1. On your Windows 7 computer you will see it will try to install “SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device” as one of the drivers and fail *this is normal*
    2. Go into Device Manager on your computer, right click “SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device” and select “Properties”
    3. Click on the “Driver” tab and click the “Update Driver” button, a prompt will then come up
    4. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”, then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” on the next screen
    5. Select “USB Mass Storage Device” as the new driver from that list and finish up that install
    6. At the end you will see something like this on your computer – Screenshot Here
    7. Windows will install final drivers automatically and a new “Disk drive” will show up on your computer, this is your external SD card on your device

Keep in mind that it is not possible to get access to the internal storage as USB mass storage device.

Get the "extSdCard is being accessed by [...]" message? Wait until the app accessing the sd card has finished, stop it yourself or reboot.

Changelog
    Code:
    - added support for third lun file, should work with GT-I9305 (Intl LTE version) now

- fixed recognition failure if "mount" output contained "on" as the second column (e.g. Siyah kernels)

- fixed code so that it (hopefully!) works with recent CM10 versions again
    - made some error messages clearer
    - drop of "beta" name doesn't actually mean much by the way, but I think it looks a bit cleaner this way and does not make a difference

1.5beta
    - added support for CM10 sd card paths (/mnt/external_sd and /mnt/sdcard1)

1.4beta
    - added alternative method for users without s3c-usbgadget (may work on US versions)

v1.3beta
    - rewrote the whole logic
    - now opens Play Store entry of BusyBox if it is not yet installed
    - notifies user if device seems to lack s3c-usbgadget module
    - notifies user which apps are accessing the extSdCard
    - generally better and more precise error messages

v1.2beta2
    - added info about busybox requirement (maybe this will be removed later)
    - added link to donation app

v1.2beta
    - Automatically tries to unmount extSdCard before starting UMS mode. This will fail if some app is accessing it, so just wait or cancel that app if you know it and try again - possibly several times. This prevents the potential data loss with previous versions.
    - It now checks the location of the extSdCard device. This should help with compabilty, e.g. for US versions.
    - Added some log output and toasts (2s delay)
    - Added link to this thread and version number in app
    - It's a beta so please beware, but I think the worst probable thing that can happen is that it does not work (e.g. it does not start UMS if it cannot unmount the extSdCard).
    - Dammit, the whole day is already over

v1.1
    - Added option for going back to MTP

v1.0
    - Initial release

Screenshot_2012-07-05-17-00-18.png

Download
    v1.8: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.8.apk

v1.7: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.7.apk

v1.6: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.6.apk

v1.5beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.5beta.apk

v1.4beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.4beta.apk

v1.3beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.3beta.apk

v1.2beta2:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/SGS3_Easy_UMS_v1.2beta2.apk

v1.2beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/SGS3_Easy_UMS_v1.2beta.apk

v1.1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/SGS3_Easy_UMS_v1.1.apk

v1.0: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/SGS3 Easy UMS.apk
    (also, it's attached)

Credits: d4fseeker, Sakaschi, bazald, dAKirby309 (icon), RootTools devs

Code:
    Uses RootTools project, which is made available by Stephen Erickson,
    Chris Ravenscroft, Dominik Schuermann, Adam Shanks under Apache
    License Version 2: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
    It is not working on s4 revolution 8.0 Rom based on stock 4.3
    Just tried mounting in UMS mode and get error:

Could not get path of external sd card (extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1). Maybe it's unmounted?

Rebooted and got the same error...

This didn't happen with v43.2 and stock kernel. Any ideas?

Ok. Tried the usb debug switch. Didn't change anything. De-installed Easy UMS. Installed SG USB Mass Storage Enabler. All working correctly!

Sorted. Thanks.
    I am currently working on a Tasker-based replacement for this app. It does the same thing, but only automatically when you plug in the phone into a PC. It's under testing right now. I will post it in a new thread and let you guys know about it for further testing when I'm done. It will allow you to customzie the mount point and will be more easily adapted to other ROMs.
    It should work with CM10 now :fingers-crossed:

Regards