Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 53,348 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Tip us?

Bajanman
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4734

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPhantomX View Post
Sorry. I meant that I don't need to be tethered to use up 150+GB data in a month. I've hit 150GB before I even started tethering.

Got ya now. Yeah that's allot of juice used.

If we knew how, we'd probably be taking advantage of it.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatewarrior1 View Post
an even more truthful statement is: "if we knew how att detects tethering, we could discover other methods to go around it"

++1

Quote:
somehow I missed this post.
so which apn do you use for hspa
I asked for it myself just to see what it was he was talking about!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.

Rom I'm using with zero issues...
[4.4.2]DN3 V5(Ditto Note 3)

hyelton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2195

DONATE TO ME
GOSH! ughh haha. HSPA+ Works Fine with the NORMAL "Phone" APN. But after 5GB I get throttled on HSPA+ Only never really been throttled on LTE, But I hardly EVER get on LTE maybe a few times every few months.

Well Anyway After I HIT 5GB I change over to the wap.cingular APN I created which that APN is usually used on older devices and flip phones and for as long as I have used it for awhile its NOT as reliable like streaming services act up when using it, BUT HD YouTube, Downloads, and Speed Tests I usually average about 4 megs down and 2 megs up in my cruddy county, But In Knoxville Tennessee a few weeks ago I got about 9down and 1 up while throttled but by using the wap.cingular apn, When using the stock "phone" apn I couldn't get higher than about 0.45mb down.
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 (White)

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com

Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored: Send a PM my Way
My Server Specs: 24X Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.1Ghz,32GB Ram,2TB HD

Bajanman
Old
Thanks Meter 4734

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
GOSH! ughh haha. HSPA+ Works Fine with the NORMAL "Phone" APN. But after 5GB I get throttled on HSPA+ Only never really been throttled on LTE, But I hardly EVER get on LTE maybe a few times every few months.

Well Anyway After I HIT 5GB I change over to the wap.cingular APN I created which that APN is usually used on older devices and flip phones and for as long as I have used it for awhile its NOT as reliable like streaming services act up when using it, BUT HD YouTube, Downloads, and Speed Tests I usually average about 4 megs down and 2 megs up in my cruddy county, But In Knoxville Tennessee a few weeks ago I got about 9down and 1 up while throttled but by using the wap.cingular apn, When using the stock "phone" apn I couldn't get higher than about 0.45mb down.
Ok do me a favor. Can you set up that apn your speaking of then take a screen shot of it and post it! Because that's what we're asking for just to c what it is. Thanx

I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.

hyelton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2195

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman View Post
Ok do me a favor. Can you set up that apn your speaking of then take a screen shot of it and post it! Because that's what we're asking for just to c what it is. Thanx

Yea but just for internet all the APN is, You Give it a name (any name) and then the under the APN Field its just: wap.cingular . That`s pretty much it.. But for MMS you need to add more settings which are not required just only for MMS.

I would show you a difference in the APN in speed but right now I`m home on my Microcell and 2 my billing cycle restarted today, But it shouldnt take long to get throttled when I head out.
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.

The Following User Says Thank You to hyelton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sheolrock
Old
Thanks Meter 43

I really hope they don't plug this hole now that you guys are posting the specific details.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

hyelton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2195

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheolrock View Post
I really hope they don't plug this hole now that you guys are posting the specific details.

This hole has been there SINCE throttling started I learned it when I had an international phone and was wondering why I never got throttled and that was because I was using the default APN which was the wap.cingular.

I HOPE THEY DONT. At my house on my Microcell when im throttled for some strange unexplained reason my data/mms wont work but only when im Throttled

privatewarrior1
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:

maybe it is a good idea to let this thread bury itself and start a new one.

what do you guys think?

Bajanman
Old
Thanks Meter 4734

DONATE TO ME

Quote:

How is that. This apn setting is all over XDA. I just wanted to know if it was the same thing that I saw b4.

Bajanman
Old
(Last edited by Bajanman; 25th February 2013 at 05:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4734

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
maybe it is a good idea to let this thread bury itself and start a new one.

what do you guys think?
Well I started it so. I really don't think that anything can or is going to happen. If we're worried about them throttling us. It's going to happen. But we're all smarter enough to figure out a way around it. To get a lil More speed. Lol

Kinda like it's having Google WALLET, on the NOTE 2! They (Google) stopped it, fixed the first version from working and they (XDA) fixed it..
Also we all respect & are cool with each other that are here. Not like some threads you go into. We know which ones!!
Just my 2

BlackPhantomX
Old
Thanks Meter 101
I use a different APN setting to get around the throttling, and I get 30Mbps-50Mbps past the limit. The APN I use, I've only found in one website. So, it's not commonly displayed, so I'm more leery about just posting it on here. But, what I will say is what it does is when selected, it seems to activate the APN types internet and modem that originally belongs to the HSPA+ APN on LTE. I'm just not sure if the way it's set up tricks the network since after selecting it, it reselects my standard LTE APN while unthrottling my speeds and allowing me 30Mbps-50Mbps speeds. I'm also curious if it's associated with the fact AT&T detected my tethering.