5,814,863 Members 49,181 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 10: Why did you get it?

Tip us?
 
Rebel908
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 186
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwalk, CA
Default Nexus 10: Why did you get it?

Deciding between and N10 and N7, and I am torn.

Nexus 7
+ Smaller/More portable
+ Zippy Tegra 3
- 720p screen

Nexus 10
+ Insane Resolution
- Dual Core

That's all I really know about both devices. I have 2 friends with N7's and I really like the form factor, A LOT. But something about the N7 just doesn't sell me on it. Likewise, the N10 seems to be something I'm more familiar with, but the price tag seems like a bit much for me, considering I've never managed to see one in retail.

All opinions appreciated*

*unless its rude and snarky
 
styckx
Old
(Last edited by styckx; 25th February 2013 at 08:53 AM.)
#2  
styckx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,461
Posts: 2,806
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel908 View Post
Deciding between and N10 and N7, and I am torn.

Nexus 7
+ Smaller/More portable
+ Zippy Tegra 3
- 720p screen

Nexus 10
+ Insane Resolution
- Dual Core

That's all I really know about both devices. I have 2 friends with N7's and I really like the form factor, A LOT. But something about the N7 just doesn't sell me on it. Likewise, the N10 seems to be something I'm more familiar with, but the price tag seems like a bit much for me, considering I've never managed to see one in retail.

All opinions appreciated*

*unless its rude and snarky
I've purchased the Nexus 7 twice, and I've sold it twice. The first time I sold it was when I purchased the Nexus 10... Then I re-purchased it a month later because I missed the small form factor for when I was out of the house. I then return it 7 days later (yesterday) when I jumped ship to T-Mobile and upgraded my Nexus S to the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 made the Nexus 7 a redundant piece of technology and also out performs it by a large margin.

The Nexus 7 is a great piece of equipment for the price.. I will give you the pros and cons..

Cons
* - Audio quality via the headphones is awful. There are a ton of apps claiming to make your headphones vomit rainbows and unicorns but those types of app packages I steer clear from as I don't believe in them as from past experience they never work. DAC matters not the app.
* - I/O speeds are slow.. You can see a side by side comparison I posted of the read/write speeds between the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 here. It can be slower to load apps/games than you might expect a tablet to perform. It's not bad, but compared to other devices it's noticable.
* - Color reproduction isn't the best.
* - (opinion) The Tegra 3 I wasn't impressed with.
* - No rear facing camera

Pros
* - Size: If you have no other tablet or a Smartphone with a large LCD like a Nexus 4 or GS3 then this will be a great portable device for you to get stuff done with.
* - Price: Currently what you get for the price is a good bargin. The longer its on the market though the slimmer this "good bargin" edge becomes and inches closer to being just another tablet on the market in a price range. It's still a great bang for the buck though and not much competes with it.. Yet...

Nexus 7 is exactly what it was aimed to be.. A good performing tablet on above average hardware for the price. You miss out on things like high i/o speeds and a rear camera but you have to give some things up for the $249 price tag.

Nexus 10

Cons
* - Same bad color reproduction the Nexus 7 had.. It's not a deal breaker but it's obvious.
* - The general consensus is don't buy them from Google directly. Find a retailer as it will make returns easier if it's defective.. Some believe the N10s have a high defect rate, some believe they don't.. It's currently the elephant in the room in the N10 forums. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying one but just be aware the concern exists.
* - Size.. It's 10 inches.. Some people think that this will never be a concern for them.. Until they get it and try making it a part of their daily schedule.. It's not meant to be throw in your pocket and carry around as a day planner.. It's big
* - You can't play Tegra HD games
* - It ain't cheap

Pros
* - Speed.. Speed.. Speed.. Mother of god is it fast
* - Resolution speaks for itself.. The screen is incredible
* - Battery life considering the pixels and speed the processor is putting out is fantastic. I average 8-10hrs of screen on time with non-gaming casual use.
* - Audio quality is excellent.. Woflson DAC on board.. No need for magic pills and As Seen On TV products to make it reproduce audio at high quality. The onboard speaker quality is really good also.
* - Gaming performance is excellent and far out performs the N7

Summary.. It depends.. If you plan on upgrading your phone (no idea what you have) soon I would go the Nexus 10.. Like I said.. Soon as I got my hands on a Nexus 4 the Nexus 7 became instantly redundant and outdated. The only thing sacrificed was 2.3 inches of screen but I gained ten fold in performance, screen quality and audio quality...
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to styckx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
midgetzombiekiller
Old
#3  
midgetzombiekiller's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 230
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Colony,Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
I've purchased the Nexus 7 twice, and I've sold it twice. The first time I sold it was when I purchased the Nexus 10... Then I re-purchased it a month later because I missed the small form factor for when I was out of the house. I then return it 7 days later (yesterday) when I jumped ship to T-Mobile and upgraded my Nexus S to the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 made the Nexus 7 a redundant piece of technology and also out performs it by a large margin.

The Nexus 7 is a great piece of equipment for the price.. I will give you the pros and cons..

Cons
* - Audio quality via the headphones is awful. There are a ton of apps claiming to make your headphones vomit rainbows and unicorns but those types of app packages I steer clear from as I don't believe in them as from past experience they never work. DAC matters not the app.
* - I/O speeds are slow.. You can see a side by side comparison I posted of the read/write speeds between the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 here. It can be slower to load apps/games than you might expect a tablet to perform. It's not bad, but compared to other devices it's noticable.
* - Color reproduction isn't the best.
* - (opinion) The Tegra 3 I wasn't impressed with.
* - No rear facing camera

Pros
* - Size: If you have no other tablet or a Smartphone with a large LCD like a Nexus 4 or GS3 then this will be a great portable device for you to get stuff done with.
* - Price: Currently what you get for the price is a good bargin. The longer its on the market though the slimmer this "good bargin" edge becomes and inches closer to being just another tablet on the market in a price range. It's still a great bang for the buck though and not much competes with it.. Yet...

Nexus 7 is exactly what it was aimed to be.. A good performing tablet on above average hardware for the price. You miss out on things like high i/o speeds and a rear camera but you have to give some things up for the $249 price tag.

Nexus 10

Cons
* - Same bad color reproduction the Nexus 7 had.. It's not a deal breaker but it's obvious.
* - The general consensus is don't buy them from Google directly. Find a retailer as it will make returns easier if it's defective.. Some believe the N10s have a high defect rate, some believe they don't.. It's currently the elephant in the room in the N10 forums. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying one but just be aware the concern exists.
* - Size.. It's 10 inches.. Some people think that this will never be a concern for them.. Until they get it and try making it a part of their daily schedule.. It's not meant to be throw in your pocket and carry around as a day planner.. It's big
* - You can't play Tegra HD games
* - It ain't cheap

Pros
* - Speed.. Speed.. Speed.. Mother of god is it fast
* - Resolution speaks for itself.. The screen is incredible
* - Battery life considering the pixels and speed the processor is putting out is fantastic. I average 8-10hrs of screen on time with non-gaming casual use.
* - Audio quality is excellent.. Woflson DAC on board.. No need for magic pills and As Seen On TV products to make it reproduce audio at high quality. The onboard speaker quality is really good also.
* - Gaming performance is excellent and far out performs the N7

Summary.. It depends.. If you plan on upgrading your phone (no idea what you have) soon I would go the Nexus 10.. Like I said.. Soon as I got my hands on a Nexus 4 the Nexus 7 became instantly redundant and outdated. The only thing sacrificed was 2.3 inches of screen but I gained ten fold in performance, screen quality and audio quality...
Well said and helped me make my decision! Nexus 10 it is!
Nexus 10 32gb
[ROM][LINARO][29/09/13][4.3]-SentinelROM v5.00-CM10.2 Source - Fast, Stable[GPL]
RECOVERY TWRP 2.6.0.3 touch recovery

ATT SGH I-317 Titanium Gray
ROM: CarbonRom v1.8
Radio: UCAMC3
RECOVERY TWRP 2.6.0.1 touch recovery
 
bee55
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 145
Join Date: May 2010
I'd only add one thing: the Tegra 3 in the Nexus 7 absolutely gets destroyed by the Exynos 5 in the N10. Even though the Exynos 5 is dual core, it's based on the newer A15 architecture which is a huge jump in performance, so the core count doesn't really matter in this case.
 
Scythe024
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 109
Posts: 642
Join Date: Nov 2011
i bought the nexus 7 day 1, It was a awesome little tab and ran great until 4.2.1. New update smoothed it out a bit. It's nice, but I also have a Note 2 and the jump to the tab wasnt big enough. I still used it, but i just wasnt completly happy having both. I bought the Nexus 10 last week and love it. Its fast, great resolution, great camera and doesnt feel too big for me when im laying in bed which was my main concern. I actually booted up my N7 last night and just holding it i kept thinking "what is this a tablet for ants?". It's funny considering I dont get that feeling with the note 2, but then again its probably because i know its a phone not a tablet.

I'd say it depends what your phone is. If you have a iphone or something with a smaller screen, you might want to go for the N7, if its something in the bigger end near 5" or more, go with the N10
 
Grimthorr
Old
(Last edited by Grimthorr; 25th February 2013 at 10:58 PM.)
#6  
Grimthorr's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 23
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: England, UK
Default Re: Nexus 10: Why did you get it?

I went for the 10 over the 7 because I have a Galaxy S3 for portability and wanted a larger screen to use about the house. Oh and the specs of the 10 simply blew me away .
Samsung Galaxy S III GT-I9300 (16GB)
  • Status:
    • 01/06/2012: my first real Android device
    • 24/12/2012: suffered sudden death syndrome while charging
    • 10/01/2013: motherboard replaced under warranty
  • ROM: AOSPA ParanoidAndroid 3+ (Android 4.2.2, JDQ39, XXEMC2)
  • Kernel: Googy-Max
  • Recovery: ClockworkMod (Touch) 6.0.3.1
Google Nexus 10 (32GB)
  • Status: Purchased 23/01/2013, arrived 24/01/2013.
  • ROM: Stock 4.2.2
  • Kernel: Stock
  • Recovery: Stock
 
altimax98
Old
#7  
altimax98's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 446
Posts: 1,701
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mulberry, Florida
Default Re: Nexus 10: Why did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
I've purchased the Nexus 7 twice, and I've sold it twice. The first time I sold it was when I purchased the Nexus 10... Then I re-purchased it a month later because I missed the small form factor for when I was out of the house. I then return it 7 days later (yesterday) when I jumped ship to T-Mobile and upgraded my Nexus S to the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 made the Nexus 7 a redundant piece of technology and also out performs it by a large margin.

The Nexus 7 is a great piece of equipment for the price.. I will give you the pros and cons..

Cons
* - Audio quality via the headphones is awful. There are a ton of apps claiming to make your headphones vomit rainbows and unicorns but those types of app packages I steer clear from as I don't believe in them as from past experience they never work. DAC matters not the app.
* - I/O speeds are slow.. You can see a side by side comparison I posted of the read/write speeds between the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 here. It can be slower to load apps/games than you might expect a tablet to perform. It's not bad, but compared to other devices it's noticable.
* - Color reproduction isn't the best.
* - (opinion) The Tegra 3 I wasn't impressed with.
* - No rear facing camera

Pros
* - Size: If you have no other tablet or a Smartphone with a large LCD like a Nexus 4 or GS3 then this will be a great portable device for you to get stuff done with.
* - Price: Currently what you get for the price is a good bargin. The longer its on the market though the slimmer this "good bargin" edge becomes and inches closer to being just another tablet on the market in a price range. It's still a great bang for the buck though and not much competes with it.. Yet...

Nexus 7 is exactly what it was aimed to be.. A good performing tablet on above average hardware for the price. You miss out on things like high i/o speeds and a rear camera but you have to give some things up for the $249 price tag.

Nexus 10

Cons
* - Same bad color reproduction the Nexus 7 had.. It's not a deal breaker but it's obvious.
* - The general consensus is don't buy them from Google directly. Find a retailer as it will make returns easier if it's defective.. Some believe the N10s have a high defect rate, some believe they don't.. It's currently the elephant in the room in the N10 forums. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying one but just be aware the concern exists.
* - Size.. It's 10 inches.. Some people think that this will never be a concern for them.. Until they get it and try making it a part of their daily schedule.. It's not meant to be throw in your pocket and carry around as a day planner.. It's big
* - You can't play Tegra HD games
* - It ain't cheap

Pros
* - Speed.. Speed.. Speed.. Mother of god is it fast
* - Resolution speaks for itself.. The screen is incredible
* - Battery life considering the pixels and speed the processor is putting out is fantastic. I average 8-10hrs of screen on time with non-gaming casual use.
* - Audio quality is excellent.. Woflson DAC on board.. No need for magic pills and As Seen On TV products to make it reproduce audio at high quality. The onboard speaker quality is really good also.
* - Gaming performance is excellent and far out performs the N7

Summary.. It depends.. If you plan on upgrading your phone (no idea what you have) soon I would go the Nexus 10.. Like I said.. Soon as I got my hands on a Nexus 4 the Nexus 7 became instantly redundant and outdated. The only thing sacrificed was 2.3 inches of screen but I gained ten fold in performance, screen quality and audio quality...
Thanks for saving me all that typing lol... that's exactly why I have a10 now. My wife has the Nexus 7. Between the I/O speeds and premium feel its a no brainer. I have two managers at work who are getting then after seeing mine. One even returned his 2 day old iPad4 because it was no comparison. Also not to be over looked are the front speakers. You never quite realize how bad cupping is to get decent sound is until you don't have to do it anymore.... pure perfection.
Phones:
  • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9C, Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid,
  • HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid RAZR, Toro, Maguro, HTC One, Note 3
  • Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8)
Tablets/Other:
  • B&N Nook Color, HP Touchpad, iPad(2012),Nexus7 (12 & 13), Nexus 10, Toshiba Chromebook
 
Jadefalkon
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 211
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Re: Nexus 10: Why did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altimax98 View Post
Thanks for saving me all that typing lol... that's exactly why I have a10 now. My wife has the Nexus 7. Between the I/O speeds and premium feel its a no brainer. I have two managers at work who are getting then after seeing mine. One even returned his 2 day old iPad4 because it was no comparison. Also not to be over looked are the front speakers. You never quite realize how bad cupping is to get decent sound is until you don't have to do it anymore.... pure perfection.
You are absolutely correct about the sound quality, I've given up on the Nexus 10 a few times after feeling it was impossible to get one without major issues but keep coming back after trying other devices. My favorite alternative was the Asus Vivotab Smart but the volume is extremely low and poor sounding which ultimately made me return it and try a few more nexus 10's the sound quality on this tablet is amazing compared to the rest.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
 
espionage724
Old
#9  
espionage724's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 506
Posts: 2,503
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleroi, PA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalkon View Post
...My favorite alternative was the Asus Vivotab Smart but the volume is extremely low and poor sounding which ultimately made me return it and try a few more nexus 10's the sound quality on this tablet is amazing compared to the rest.
I was actually considering buying this tablet in the future, but hearing the various reports of audio volume, it doesn't sound too good.


Device Ownership:
 

Current Devices:
None
Side Devices:
Nexus 7 (grouper) (franco.Kernel + Rasbeanjelly)
Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830) (Stock)

Ex Devices:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 (SGH-T849)
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820) (KoumaKernel + CTMod)
Nexus 4 (LGE960/mako) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber)
Nexus 10 (GT-P8110/manta) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber
 
NickTheMajin
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 330
Join Date: Mar 2012
I sold my iPad 3 for it because I thought Google had gotten it right this time. Big mistake. Significant downgrade.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes