Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 38,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Install Whatsapp working On Nexus 7! [05/31/13]

Tip us?

jtafurth
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Re: [HOWTO] Install Whatsapp working On Nexus 7! [1/03/13]

Whatsapp is working without any modification on CyanogeMod 10.1, call verification works if you input you real number. SMS verification still fail.

Only works on tilapia, on grouper it complains about not supporting tablet devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

NLBeev
Old
Thanks Meter 17
To get whatsapp working on a wi-fi only tablet you always need 3 things:

1. Appguard to avoid the Whatsapp warning that the device is not supported
2. A copy of the directory: data\data\com.whatsapp from a working Whatsapp on a 3G device (smartphone).
3. A copy of the directory Whatsapp (sdcard) from the same smartphone.

To copy data\data\com.whatsapp root-access is needed on 3G device (phone) and tablet.
When one of the above mentioned is not present, Whatsapp will not work.
Alternatives are possible but you have to hassle with Bluestacks as described in this thread.

Without root acces the directory data\data\com.whatsapp can possible be copied with Titatium backup.
That is also described in this thread.

ultimatepichu
Old
(Last edited by ultimatepichu; 25th February 2013 at 10:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 122
since whatsapp is out of Beta, you can download the apk straight from their website to your device and install it. Browse to the website with your N7. And you just need another phone, with number that you keyed in as your whatsapp number on N7, to receive the sms verification.

The only problem is by setting up where you can only have one account at the same time. So if your other phone is a smart phone with whatsapp installed, then you have to choose either one.

EDIT: Oh... seems like the target audience is the Grouper. Sorry. Ignore this post. But for those who can, actually I like the newer whatsapp better than the one downloaded from store.
HTC M7 One Silver
Rom: ARHD 62.0

Asus Nexus 7 3G Tilapia
Rom: CM10.1 Official nightly

HTC Desire HD
Rom: cfx_ace-4.2.2-SR12
Radio: Radio_12.65.60.29U_26.14.04.28_M

virusarus
Old
(Last edited by virusarus; 25th February 2013 at 05:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
This is for ppl who are facing issues because of blue stack, apguard or getting error messages like "tablet not supported", "it looks like your client has been modified". Please follow the below steps. I tried today and it worked perfect. No need to root your tablet. For easy understanding, I have colored the text :- Red-Things that are to be done on phone . Green-Things that are to be done on tablet

1) Install Carbon backup app from play store on your android smart phone and on your tablet. My android smart phone is rooted [it should work in non-rooted smart phone as well]
2) Take a back up of whatsapp and select the option to save it on your external SD card.
3) Now move to your tablet. Take a backup of any app. In my case, I took the back up of Temple Run2 and select to save the back up in your external SD card. This is mainly done to create the Carbon backup folder structure.
4) The back up would be available under /ext_sd_card/carbon/

5) Now back to your smart phone- copy the complete carbon folder under /ext_sd_card/carbon/ and upload it some where. You can use some file manager like EXexplorer to do this for you
6) Moving to your tablet, download the carbon folder you uploaded in your tablet and replace with the one that is already existing on your external SD card.
7) Open Carbon application and restore whatsapp
8) It will ask you to install whatsapp from play store. I would recommend you to download the apk and install it.
9) Select restore option again and restore whatsapp data
10) Now you can open whatsapp with the same state as you left it on your smart phone. I mean the messages :P

Please note : Whatsapp can be attached to a single number only, so please uninstall it on your smart phone after the above process.

If you want to use a different number on your tablet, then follow the below steps after Step 10.

Send one or two messages to your friends.
12) Uninstall whatsapp and install it again.
13) Restore the back up again from carbon app.
14) Open Whatsapp, you will be asked to verify your number.
15) Enter your new number and select Ok. Please make sure that the new number is in working state i.e. the SIM card is inserted into a phone and can receive SMS/call
16) Whatsapp will send the verification code to your new number.
17) Wait for sometime and you will get the prompt on your tablet to enter the verification code.
18) Enter it and enjoy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to virusarus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ScruffyDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=virusarus;38463974][B][COLOR="Navy"]This is for ppl who are facing issues because of blue stack, apguard or getting error messages like "tablet not supported", "it looks like your client has been modified". Please follow the below steps. I tried today and it worked perfect. No need to root your tablet./[QUOTE]

Thanks - this worked perfectly for me with the newest version installed from Google Play on my tablet - never had to reinstall it on the tablet, though...the restored version worked, but had to resend the alternate number for verification and activation on the tablet.

shalev123
Old
(Last edited by shalev123; 2nd March 2013 at 10:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, I keep get this annoying message every time.
I followed the steps, and when I perss on the "Call me" botton I get a message that the version is too old.
Alright, I updated it to the newest (downloaded from their website, after I've seen that ppl here said that it's ok and working).
Then. when I press on the "Call me" botton, it always give me the message "It looks like you client has been modified. Please download the latest version from our website." - althrough it is the newest and I've downloaded it from their website indeed!
It also mean that somehow it detects that appguard had modified it although it should"t and I see that it didn't detected it on your mobile... :/
Please help me, I dunno what to do...
Thanks guys

P.S. However, I did managed to get it work on my computer :/

NikolForAll
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Does anybody tried to update Whatsapp? I have it installed, succeed to dwnload from the official site, but now when I try to install shows: Application was not installed.

ejpenha
Old
(Last edited by ejpenha; 2nd March 2013 at 04:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Smile Nexus 7 32GB 3G x Whatsapp

Hi,

Just downloaded the .apk from the website, download link: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/ .. and typed my N7 sim card number.. got the verification code.. and it's working!

It took a little long to start working, but now.. just doing fine.

Am I blessed or what?

I'm from Brazil and running JB 4.2.2, 100% stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-03-01-12-46-39.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1772485  

virusarus
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalev123 View Post
Ok, I keep get this annoying message evry time.
I followed the steps, and when I perss on the "Call me" botton I get a message that the version is too old.
Alright, I updated it to the newest (downloaded from their website, after I've seen that ppl here said that it's ok and working).
Then. when I press on the "Call me" botton, it always give me the message "It seems that the client is different (/changed, I'm translating it from my language). Please download the latest version from our website." - althrough it is the newest and I've downloaded it from their website indeed!
Please help me, I dunno what to do...
Thanks guys
Did you try the, carbon backup method?

WildBit
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Default Re: [HOWTO] Install Whatsapp working On Nexus 7! [1/03/13]

I restore backup from titanium' 5 sec. process :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Using...
Xperia Z ULTRA
Xperia S