[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

OP XeoNoX

25th February 2013, 08:27 AM   |  #131  
Flag Galveston
Thanks Meter: 17

51 posts
More
[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen
Great tutorial man. I just replaced the glass on my sisters S3 and when removing the glass I noticed this jell like substance between the glass and I guess the digitizer. Well when cleaning the screen (digitizer) off I was thinking that the lack of this could cause a problem in the future. It takes up space inbetween the glass and the digitizer. It helps with the digitizer recognizing selections you might make when touching the glass. Without this there is a gap or open space where this once was. After getting it all back together it seemed that the screen responded fine to my touch however I noticed that the glass didnt seem as solid or stable without the jell under it (I also have a S3 and was comparing the two side by side). I told my sister to be careful with the glass because it felt like if you pushed to hard the glass would give and then crack with nothing under it to support it. A week later the screen cracked. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if so is there a fix?
25th February 2013, 09:31 AM   |  #132  
Flag Midlothian, TX
Thanks Meter: 99

691 posts
More
Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype.77

Great tutorial man. I just replaced the glass on my sisters S3 and when removing the glass I noticed this jell like substance between the glass and I guess the digitizer. Well when cleaning the screen (digitizer) off I was thinking that the lack of this could cause a problem in the future. It takes up space inbetween the glass and the digitizer. It helps with the digitizer recognizing selections you might make when touching the glass. Without this there is a gap or open space where this once was. After getting it all back together it seemed that the screen responded fine to my touch however I noticed that the glass didnt seem as solid or stable without the jell under it (I also have a S3 and was comparing the two side by side). I told my sister to be careful with the glass because it felt like if you pushed to hard the glass would give and then crack with nothing under it to support it. A week later the screen cracked. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if so is there a fix?

Hmmm. That is interesting. Did you use the same glue the original screen had, or tape? Fixing to redo mine and trying to gather as much info as I can.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
25th February 2013, 10:01 AM   |  #133  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
[QUOTE=uoY_redruM;38434942

SKU# ESSAM10305469

I don't know if they sent me the wrong one or what but it is about 1/4" to small top and bottom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium[/QUOTE] Damn I ordered all mine from etrade supplies and am really hoping they're the correct size!! They freeking better be at that ridiculous shipping price of theirs!! how the hell could it cost $23 to ship a letter size envelope?!
25th February 2013, 10:35 AM   |  #134  

19 posts
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicrazy2002

I'm just waiting on my screens and optical adhesive. I will try with and without and will report back. I think I've found a way to vacuum out the bubbles so hang tight.

planing to build vacuum chamber ? if not can you share yours idea about how you plan to vacuum out the bubbles ? thanx

ps. i just read one post from phonefreaks h t t p ://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31321004&postcount=13 he says what its possible to move OCA before it cures, just need to spray glass or screen
Last edited by Kancler; 25th February 2013 at 10:54 AM.
25th February 2013, 05:11 PM   |  #135  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,934

3,340 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kancler

[/COLOR]
planing to build vacuum chamber ? if not can you share yours idea about how you plan to vacuum out the bubbles ? thanx

ps. i just read one post from phonefreaks h t t p ://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31321004&postcount=13 he says what its possible to move OCA before it cures, just need to spray glass or screen

Read a page back. I did it without a vacuum. You can also see the results as I posted pictures. Had my finger not stuck to the adhesive, that major bubble section would not have been there and there would be, at most, a few random tiny bubbles.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
26th February 2013, 01:23 AM   |  #136  

7 posts
I was able to remove the old glass and put the new one..but the soft keys (menu and back) are not working. I tried removing the glass and made sure that ribbon was in place..still not working... any suggestions ?

or..do I have to heat the glass and press it hard for the capacitive keys to work ?
Last edited by machinetuk; 26th February 2013 at 01:41 AM.
26th February 2013, 02:51 AM   |  #137  
Thanks Meter: 1

34 posts
Ok guys my S3 Screen cracked while in my pocket.. i ordered my new glass and have watched all the videos. My question is .. The kit came with screw drivers.. i am not replacing the digitizer just the glass.. Am i still removing any screws? none of the videos or tutorials mention removing any screws.
26th February 2013, 03:55 AM   |  #138  
Thanks Meter: 171

560 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricksta

Ok guys my S3 Screen cracked while in my pocket.. i ordered my new glass and have watched all the videos. My question is .. The kit came with screw drivers.. i am not replacing the digitizer just the glass.. Am i still removing any screws? none of the videos or tutorials mention removing any screws.

No screws, just make sure you remove the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinetuk

I was able to remove the old glass and put the new one..but the soft keys (menu and back) are not working. I tried removing the glass and made sure that ribbon was in place..still not working... any suggestions ?

or..do I have to heat the glass and press it hard for the capacitive keys to work ?

Sounds like you damaged the ribbon cable. Replacing the capacitive buttons, on a scale of 1 to 10 & 10 being the most difficult and risky it's a 10 to try to replace them. It's basically a 50-50 you'll break the lcd/Digitizer and the motherboard has to come out, hence just about a complete dissembling of the phone.
26th February 2013, 09:19 AM   |  #139  
Flag Galveston
Thanks Meter: 17

51 posts
More
It take a lot of patience!
Quote:

Hmmm. That is interesting. Did you use the same glue the original screen had, or tape? Fixing to redo mine and trying to gather as much info as I can.

I did'nt purchase any glue or addhesive. I just used the addhesive that was still on the phone after heating the cracked screen to remove it. You have to take your time when doing this you don't want to remove any of the original addhesive because you don't have the addhesive hot enough and some comes off with the glass. After removing the cracked glass make sure you don't have any remaining chips of broken glass stuck in the addhesive. If there is the new glass wont stick and will lift off. I used a tooth pick. When aplying the new glass start at the bottom of the phone where the ribbon is for your soft keys and make sure they are in place. This is the patience part. Once the new glass is in place before you start pressing the glass down heat the edges up just like when you were removing the cracked glass and press the new glass down firmly. You will have to do this over and over until its back in its original position. The addhesive has to be hot and soft for you to do this properly. And then let cool all the way before really playing with your phone... Sorry OP for being so long.

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

Quote:

The problem I had was'nt with the addhesive it was with the gap or void between the glass and the screen or digitizer that eventually led to the new glass cracking easy. There was'nt any jell under the glass to help support the glass and help the digitizer when making selections.
The Following User Says Thank You to prototype.77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2013, 04:16 PM   |  #140  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
video about replacing S3 glass
here i made a video about changing the gorilla glass for galaxy S3
i hope it helps.
it is in spanish but u can activate subtitles in youtube for the translation.

go to youtube and search gabaktech

enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrabossman

Hi guys/gals

i recently cracked my S3 screen and followed this tutorial on replacement ,which was the best.
However in my repair i damaged the ribbon for the touch buttons, option and back.
i can get the replacement part from amazon but i was wondering if anyone has done this before?
a simple explanation on how to go about replacing the buttons would be good, a video would be great.
any suggestions ?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread