[GUIDE] Boot Android OS & Ubuntu OS without Wiping

Search This thread

Esteway.619

Dec 30, 2010
san diego
Re: [GUIDE] Dual Boot Project - Android OS & Ubuntu Phone OS

So doing it this way will that make the radios work?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Lesicnik1

Feb 12, 2011
Slovenj Gradec

A can't flash the .img either..i don't understand how to flash the .img file.. already tried with twrp and CWM.. no success
I can'´t see the .img file on both of recoveries.. any suggestions? do i have to install it on fastboot ?

Nowhere in the thread is anything said about .img files. Read trough the instructions again and you'll see you need top flash two .zip files.

urko95

May 7, 2010

A can't flash the .img either..i don't understand how to flash the .img file.. already tried with twrp and CWM.. no success
I can'´t see the .img file on both of recoveries.. any suggestions? do i have to install it on fastboot ?

Sorry, wrong file :( Now, go again to the guide and download the file where was the .img (armel+maguro.zip) and will work. The link has just been corrected :)

Regards,

Urko

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2

urko95

May 7, 2010

OK so even with maguro doing it this way won't make the radios work?

from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Radio (Calls and SMSs) are working fine, what is not supported in Ubuntu is mobile data, but with this "dual boot" you will be able to work normaly with CM (mobile data too) but in Ubuntu only calls and SMSs.

Regards,

Urko

Reactions: Esteway.619

dudeman1996

Aug 29, 2010
London, UK

You'd be a good journalist. They're good at writing misleading titles to gain as many viewers as possible.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Oh let's be real guys, anyone who thought it would get any closer than this is naíve and doesn't really know how dual-booting works. Straight up, how the hell would this ever work, as I said somewhere a while back, you'd need a special bootloader, which does not, and generally-speaking can not exist.

Do you think urko95 is going to want to help this community, maybe with a legit dual-booting solution, after all the *****ing from "the poor community that was sorely disappointed".

And being a paid contributor doesn't mean you can prance the forums like you own XDA, saying whatever you want, as if XDA needs contributors with all the ads and traffic it gets.

Reactions: cctoro and urko95

f4bio

Dec 15, 2009
Nexus 7
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Oh let's be real guys, anyone who thought it would get any closer than this is naíve and doesn't really know how dual-booting works. Straight up, how the hell would this ever work, as I said somewhere a while back, you'd need a special bootloader, which does not, and generally-speaking can not exist.

Do you think urko95 is going to want to help this community, maybe with a legit dual-booting solution, after all the *****ing from "the poor community that was sorely disappointed".

And being a paid contributor doesn't mean you can prance the forums like you own XDA, saying whatever you want, as if XDA needs contributors with all the ads and traffic it gets.

Was about to write the same.... Stop *****ing around...
At least someone comes up with a solution to use both OSs

I think this is a great and I am going to test it right now (will report)
Great work, keep on going :)

// edit:

First of all: Ubuntu Works! nice work buddies! :D

Downside:
  • I am not able to make Calls or write SMS. I wasn't even prompted to enter my PIN at startup?! (Wifi works, but no WPS :( )
  • Tried to flash LeanKernel 6.0 (to get back to CM) -> didn't boot. Flashed CM again -> works! (But ye, this is no big deal)

... I go continue testing ;)

// edit2:
btw, there is a typo in OP: size of Ubuntu is 48MB not 481MB

Last edited:
Reactions: urko95
S

Saxthebest

It's possible to remove just Ubuntu after flashing both systems, without restoring a full nandroid? I heard that all the OS files are located in a single directory.

urko95

May 7, 2010

Wrong quote

Last edited:

urko95

May 7, 2010

It's possible to remove just Ubuntu after flashing both systems, without restoring a full nandroid? I heard that all the OS files are located in a single directory.

Not because all files are mixed, in a near future it will be improved.

Regards,

Urko

urko95

May 7, 2010
1st. If you could do it better, do it.

2nd. This is not my contribution but I don't want you to tell anybody that his work is a **** (Because you are breaking the rules, RESPECT)

3rd. Take into account that we have had only 3 DAYS to do it. If you can do it better in the same time, do it or shut up.

Finally, the only one who is not contributing is you posting reasons to stop the development. I have mention that this is not a real Dual Boot (a big proff of not reading the whole post) and I have mentioned too that we will try to improve this method to become it into a REAL Dual Boot. Has the title says, it is a project and it is not finshed yet.

Urko

You'd be a good journalist. They're good at writing misleading titles to gain as many viewers as possible.

All the thread has been edited to don't confuse anyone, are you happy now?

Last edited:
Reactions: JKan Co
S

Saxthebest

R: [GUIDE] Boot Android OS & Ubuntu OS without Wiping

You are really doing a great job! I don't see why people complain so much about it. It's not dual boot but it's better than nothing! Keep up the good work!

Inviato dal mio GT-P5110 con Tapatalk 2

citrix80

Aug 19, 2007
why CM 10.1 ? does it work on stock rom ?

I have never used CM 10.1. I saw a post says CM reveive their own ota instead of google ota, is that true?

Lockett

Apr 24, 2011
Hanover, PA
The other viable option (especially if you don't want to run cm10.1) is to make a backup of your ROM of choice, flash Ubuntu, and make a backup of that. If you want to switch between the two its as easy as restoring a backup.

savagehax

Dec 19, 2011
Backups work great guys if your not on cm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Boot them without wiping anything
    Android OS & Ubuntu Phone OS

Ubuntu-Phone-OS.jpg

Introduction

So, as the title says, here is a guide about how to be able to boot Android OS and Ubuntu Phone OS whenever you want, without loosing your data of both systems; concretely, CM 10.1 and Ubuntu Phone OS. If you don't want to fail in the process, read the whole post.

BIG THANKS TO BEIDL! He make it real this project, ALL THANKS FOR HIM!

If you want to boot Ubuntu (For example) you will have to flash a file and viceversa.

-ATENTION NOOBS-
    We are not responsible of bricking your Nexus!

We will try to improve this progress in a near future

Steps

NOTE: This is an experimental way to have both systems without wiping, MAKE A BACKUP before you continue and, if something is wrong with this guide, post it and we will try to correct it.

What you need is...

Folow this steps:
    1. Flash CM 10.1 (Lastest Nightly recomended) -> You will have working CyanogenMod.
    2. Flash Ubuntu Phone OS without wiping (Both files, first armel+maguro and then phablet) -> Now, you will have working Ubuntu Phone OS
    3. Now you have both systems in the same ROM; so, if you want to come back to one of them...

• For Ubuntu Phone OS -> Flash once again armel+maguro.img
      • For Android OS -> Flash your favourite kernel and, if it doens't work, flash the whole CM 10.1 ROM again (Doens't take a long time)

So, once again, all credits for Beidl! :good:

NOTE: If you want to see how Beidl achieve it read this thread.

Is this a joke? This is not a dual boot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

you can flash pull the boot.img from cyanogen , then download a custom kernel zip , replace the kernel inside the zip with the one you pulled from CM . then flash the zip you made yourself , that would save you from reflashing rom .

OK so for CM10.1 you flash the whole ROM? so where is the difference from what i said ?

The diference is that /data is not wiped for non of both systems

I thought on pulling it but, as kernel could be changed by Cyano, I think it's a better idea to flash the lastes whole nightly. If anyone feel like pulling it and posting here everyday, tell me and I will post it.

Regards,

Urko

What Kernel should i use? I use pirates 704, but the other guy had problems with it..

And what about gapps on cyanogen?

Try it with the kernel, if it doesn't work try flashing the whole CM 10.1 ROM.

Regards,

Urko