[Q] How to unlock TF700 on JB

Search This thread

joshnl

Oct 29, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've been slowly easing myself into the world of TF700 mods. I've been reading up A LOT on how to root, unlock, flash custom ROMs, etc. So far, I've started out by simply rooting my TF700. I figure this is a good way to get a feel for all this stuff without taking too much of a risk. After rooting, I updated to the latest JB via OTA, while keeping root (using OTA Rootkeeper).

But as I get more and more comfortable, I'm wanting more and more to get into flashing of custom ROMs. My understanding is that the bootloader needs to be unlocked to do this. The problem is, after scouring the internet, I've been unable to figure out how to unlock my tablet while on JB. Can anyone point me to an explanation of how to do this? Or will I HAVE to revert to ICS in order to do this (as I had to in order to root my JB device in the first place)?

Thanks a lot!

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
You have to use a different search engine, my friend!
The answers to your questions are right in this forum, and the relevant threads are at the top in this General section as stickies ;)

Check out the Official Asus TF700 all-in-one thread by Pretoriano80 and also his index of tools (you'll need those later).
While you're at it start reading the CleanRom Inheritance Help thread by Thibor69 and in general: start browsing here, get familiar with the lingo, use the search function if you're interested in a particular topic (although - I have to admit the forum search engine su..., ahem - could be better. Using Google search and selecting the xda threads showing there is what I usually do).

Well, and then, if you really, really have searched high and low, far and wide, and cannot find the answer to your question, there are many, many very knowledgeable people here just dying to help you out :D
Welcome to the club...

Oh! And to answer your question: You have to use the Asus Unlock tool, you can use it in JB, no reason to revert to ICS.
If you successfully rooted you won't find the process to unlock, install a custom recovery and flash a custom rom too challenging.
Loosing the warranty sucks, yes. But only a custom rom will unlock the full potential of this tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: joshnl

joshnl

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I've definitely read the all-in-one thread ad noseum (which is how I figured out how to root my device). The thing that I was not able to find an answer to anywhere was whether the Asus unlock tool would work on JB. In fact, all the notices I came across indicated that it would only work with ICS. This is why I was confused as to how people on JB could still unlock their TF700 without reverting to ICS.

So you're saying that, while rooted and on JB (10.4.4.25), the standard Asus TF700 unlock tool will work? Is this generally accepted?

Also, thanks for the suggestion to check out the CleanRom Inheritance Help thread - this will probably be my next in the education process.

Thanks again... really appreciate it!

Splitz300

Mar 18, 2012
Fort Worth
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I've definitely read the all-in-one thread ad noseum (which is how I figured out how to root my device). The thing that I was not able to find an answer to anywhere was whether the Asus unlock tool would work on JB. In fact, all the notices I came across indicated that it would only work with ICS. This is why I was confused as to how people on JB could still unlock their TF700 without reverting to ICS.

So you're saying that, while rooted and on JB (10.4.4.25), the standard Asus TF700 unlock tool will work? Is this generally accepted?

Also, thanks for the suggestion to check out the CleanRom Inheritance Help thread - this will probably be my next in the education process.

Thanks again... really appreciate it!

Yes, the ASUS provided unlock tool from their own very website will work!

I myself just used in on Saturday. I just rooted my Infinity last week with a great success using the CROMI and I love it!

Follow those instructions to the letter. However, I did find that the same software that is used in the youtube video was a bit easier to understand and navigate through. I'm a visual person, so I was doing it step by step with the video. I didn't want to brick a 2 month old device.

Good luck!

joshnl

Oct 29, 2012
Okay. Interesting that Asus have not updated their instructions to indicate that the unlock tool also works for JB - the instructions on the Asus website clearly state that it only work on ICS.

Splitz: Sorry to belabour the subject, but did you unlock your TF700T while it had JB installed on it?

Has Asus just not updated their instructions?

Thanks!

Splitz300

Mar 18, 2012
Fort Worth
Splitz: Sorry to belabour the subject, but did you unlock your TF700T while it had JB installed on it?

Thanks!

Yes, I unlocked it using the Asus tool with JB installed.

I saw a post around here somewhere (In the DEV thread) that confirmed the tool works with both ICS bootloader as well as JB which is why I risked it.

I'm going to assume that ASUS just won't officially say it will unlock the JB bootloader.

Reactions: joshnl

joshnl

Oct 29, 2012
Actually, it has been mentioned quite a few times that the unlock tool works on JB as well. :)

Ya, I've now come across some of these other mentions through searching for info on tangential topics. Sorry if I asked a redundant question here - I did try my best to answer it myself before doing so, however.

Thanks for everyone's help.

borgmanjayce

Nov 13, 2007
Sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering if this will work on JB 4.1.1 with Build Number 10.4.4.18?

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Ya, I've now come across some of these other mentions through searching for info on tangential topics. Sorry if I asked a redundant question here - I did try my best to answer it myself before doing so, however.

Hey, no problem. Better to ask redundant questions than to brick your device. Geen zorgen. ;) (<< Dutch, translates as "no worries")

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering if this will work on JB 4.1.1 with Build Number 10.4.4.18?
Yes. The unlock tool is actually the same for the Tf101, TF201 and TF700 and has never been changed as far as I know. So, go ahead and unlock. ;)

Reactions: drhode

drhode

Jan 13, 2012
So can I unlock...and then root easily under JB?

So, I was intending to root my precious TF700, exactly when the warranty expires...As for it, I was keping my TF700 on ICS, but two days before the warranty expiration, my cat upgraded my device to JB...(seriously, my cat did that...She slept over the dock and go fgure how, authorized the upgrade...)

Now...well I don't mind JB, I'm actually liking it a lot, but I still want to root (to install Titanium Backup). I just don't want to downgrade...

If I use the Asus Unlock Tool (as said that works under JB) and then use the method listed in the All-In-One Guide (that links for this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1929712), it will work and we will be ok, me & TF700?:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have to use a different search engine, my friend!
    The answers to your questions are right in this forum, and the relevant threads are at the top in this General section as stickies ;)

Check out the Official Asus TF700 all-in-one thread by Pretoriano80 and also his index of tools (you'll need those later).
    While you're at it start reading the CleanRom Inheritance Help thread by Thibor69 and in general: start browsing here, get familiar with the lingo, use the search function if you're interested in a particular topic (although - I have to admit the forum search engine su..., ahem - could be better. Using Google search and selecting the xda threads showing there is what I usually do).

Well, and then, if you really, really have searched high and low, far and wide, and cannot find the answer to your question, there are many, many very knowledgeable people here just dying to help you out :D
    Welcome to the club...

Oh! And to answer your question: You have to use the Asus Unlock tool, you can use it in JB, no reason to revert to ICS.
    If you successfully rooted you won't find the process to unlock, install a custom recovery and flash a custom rom too challenging.
    Loosing the warranty sucks, yes. But only a custom rom will unlock the full potential of this tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Thanks!

Yes, I unlocked it using the Asus tool with JB installed.

I saw a post around here somewhere (In the DEV thread) that confirmed the tool works with both ICS bootloader as well as JB which is why I risked it.

I'm going to assume that ASUS just won't officially say it will unlock the JB bootloader.

Hey, no problem. Better to ask redundant questions than to brick your device. Geen zorgen. ;) (<< Dutch, translates as "no worries")

Yes. The unlock tool is actually the same for the Tf101, TF201 and TF700 and has never been changed as far as I know. So, go ahead and unlock. ;)