SoupKit (again)...When you're fed up with trying to get ADB to connect in Windows

Search This thread

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
The SoupKit

soupkit.jpg

What is SoupKit? At it's heart, SoupKit is for those who are tired of messing around with Windows and are ready to do try something that works. It was created to be "sort of" modular in that after the ADB installer has been installed, other Linux scripts can be installed and run from the command line by just typing the name of the script and without worrying about changing directories or dealing with permissions. It's intended to make the transition from Windows to Linux for Android a little bit easier.

How does it work?

The SoupKit ADB Installer --- FOR ALL KINDLE FIRES

This puts everything where it needs to be, installs any necessary dependencies, installs drivers, configures Linux to run adb and fastboot commands, puts the SoupKit in your $PATH and cleans up after itself, all while taking a fraction of the space needed for the Android SDK. What this means for you is, you will be able open any terminal window and start entering adb or fastboot commands immediately. There's no need to change directories, add sudo commands or certain operators that are confusing to command line newbies ( ./ ). You can enter commands just as you see them in tutorials. No more worrying about “ADB Offline”, “Status Unknown” or “List of devices attached ????????????????”. This alone can make a huge difference for anyone having Kindle Fire problems that can't be fixed in Windows or those who are overwhelmed by the technicalities of configuring Linux for Android.

What you need:

First, you need Linux. Don't worry, it's not as bad as you may think.

Luckily, all Linux distros are free to download and install on your computer. It can also be booted from a USB flash drive so you don't have to wipe out your current OS (although you probably should anyway). You can use a VM, but the only VM that I've found that can detect the Kindle Fire in fastboot mode is Parallels. Vmware won't cut it, and VirtualBox sure as hell won't cut it so don't waste your time with them if you ever need to do anything in fastboot (if you're bricked, you need fastboot).

Probably the best method to get Linux running for a new user is by setting up a Linux LiveUSB.

I'm not going to teach you how to set up a Linux LiveUSB, but there are plenty of FREE programs out there that will not only create a Linux LiveUSB for you, but will download your choice of distro as well, and all you need is a USB flash drive (preferably 8GB or larger). A Google search of “Linux LiveUSB” will offer plenty of choices, although, PendriveLinux seems to be a favorite among most. Just be sure to add plenty of “persistence” (1 or more gigabytes) or you will lose everything every time you reboot. And the better quality of flash drive you can use, the better it will be in the long run. Some flash drives just don't do well and can cause some file system corruption over time (not something you want to be dealing with while you're having Kindle Fire problems).

You'll also have to figure out how to boot your computer from a USB. Check your computer's BIOS manufacturer website for instructions on how to do this.

If you're using a LiveUSB, there is no root/sudo password, just hit enter.

Do not use a USB 3.0 port

Once you have Linux installed and booted, you need to make sure your Internet is working. It may take some configuration on your part but it is necessary for the SoupKit to install properly. Luckily, once you have an Internet connection in Linux, the hard part is over.

Don't put the SoupKit.zip on the USB drive before creating the LiveUSB. Instead, use the web browser to navigate to this page and download it once you have Linux running and your Internet connected. Once it's downloaded, you'll likely find it in your Downloads folder.

SoupKit has been tested extensively on all the latest versions of Ubuntu and Mint, but it hasn't really been tested on anything outside of that. Try other distros if you will, but be warned.

To install:

Right-click the “SoupKit.zip”, select “Extract here” open the SoupKit folder and follow the instructions in the README.

Credits:

Don't worry. I didn't forget about you guys. I'll finish this when I have time. In the meantime, you know who you are, and thank you.

Is that all?

NOPE. What SoupKit would be complete without a little something to go with it?
SEE POST #2

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Due to recent updates, I've decided to remove the option to install Hashcode's 2nd bootloader. There are too many areas where things can go wrong so I think it would be best to let the user follow the small handful of instructions in the 2nd bootloader thread to get it done. IMO, it is not worth the risk to rely on the user to make sure a downgraded stock bootloader is installed before running the script. Plus I think using a script toinstall the downgraded bootloader gives users a false sense of safety in what is potentially very dangerous to do.

ROOT PLUS for 2nd Generation Kindle Fires

2013_04_23.jpg

That's right. This works for ALL 2nd generation Kindle Fires

What does it do?

The screenshot above should answer that question pretty quickly.

What do you need to know?

Since Hashcode's bootloader hack is device specific, you must download the version for your device. Each one has the exact same script but the stack, boot and recovery images are different for each particular device. You must have the SoupKit installed for this to work properly. It installs in the same way as the SoupKit; unzip, double click, run in terminal, blah blah.

Make sure you have ADB enabled under “Security” in the settings.

Anything else?

At any point after installation, if you need to run the utility again, just type "rootplus" in the terminal.

What's next?

I have a few more things in store for you guys and they will all be made for the SoupKit. As packages are installed, just type the name of the package in any terminal to launch them at any point (hence "modular"). Everything will be easy to install, easy to launch, and new user friendly.

Don't be skerrd. Move out of your comfort zone a little and give Linux and SoupKit a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Credits:

* Bin4ry - of course, for providing the root exploit
* prokennexusa and his team - for testing this out on all of the second generation devices
* Thepooch - for extensive testing and always being there to lend a hand

Downloads:

SoupKit - http://d-h.st/PbX

RootPlus for all Kindle Fires - http://d-h.st/jOe

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Changelog:

04-23-2013 - Update (RootPlus)
* Removed option to install Hashcode's 2nd bootloader, for safety reasons. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Hashcode's 2nd bootloader. The risk lies in recent updates from Amazon.

03-19-2013 - Update + bugfix (RootPlus)
* Fixed issue with 2nd bootloader install - everything works as it should now
* Added timestamp to saved partitions. Gives users the ability to save more than one set of partition images

03-18-2013 - Update: (RootPlus)
* Changed how 2nd bootloader is installed for compatibility with the KF2
* Added ability to update custom recovery. No need to update the script every time a new recovery is released.
* Added ability to choose partition images to be installed if more than one set exist in the BACKUP folder
* More intuitive restore of saved partition images - will hopefully prevent any chance of user error

03-16-2013 - Bugfix: (RootPlus)
* Fixed issue with permissions on the rootplus script

03-10-2013 - Update: (RootPlus)
* Added extra safety measures, including MD5 check on 2nd bootloader install

02-23-2013 - Initial release

Last edited:

Melodycd

Jul 13, 2012
Sorry, but I don't see a link for KFHD 7" package. Did I miss somthing?
Rootplus KF 7 is for Kindle Fire HD 7"?
Droid DNA

zuke66

Nov 21, 2009
I'm stuck on installing the bootloader option 6. It back up the kfhd7 then go to installing stacks. There I get a line that is "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory" the kindle reboots. And that's were it stuck saying...< waiting for device >

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I'm stuck on installing the bootloader option 6. It back up the kfhd7 then go to installing stacks. There I get a line that is "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory" the kindle reboots. And that's were it stuck saying...< waiting for device >
For now, use the restore option to restore the partitions that were saved when you chose the option to install the bootloader hack and TWRP.

In the meantime, I need to know what software version you're using, and whether or not you have edited your build.prop. Also, after you restore your system, use adb to access the shell and list the contents of your /system/etc directory and post it here.

Code:
adb shell su -c "ls /system/etc"

zuke66

Nov 21, 2009
When I do a restore it reboots then stop at "waiting for device"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6

Okay, a few questions...

Do you have normal use of the device? Does it boot normally? Have you rebooted yet (if not, don't)

You still haven't told me what software version you are running or whether or not you've edited your build.prop...

What Linux distro/version are you using?

Is your Linux install a full install, LiveUSB, or VM?

Is it 32 or 64 bit?

Are you using a USB 3.0 port?

Do you have a factory cable?

What is the output of the following command?:
Code:
sudo cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

Reactions: Thepooch

KindleFireGuy

Jan 31, 2012
King
Thanks dude I got adb working plus with the old soupkit revived my kindle fire 1st gen

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
* Added ability to update custom recovery. No need to update the script every time a new recovery is released.
* Added ability to choose partition images to be installed if more than one set exist in the BACKUP folder
* More intuitive restore of saved partition images - will hopefully prevent any chance of user error

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichigo

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
* Added timestamp to saved partitions. Gives users the ability to save more than one set of partition images

If you downloaded yesterday's update, please install this one. There was a bug preventing the 2nd bootloader install. It is fixed now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Panixy

Jan 17, 2013
Hello, I'm stuck at step 6. Until "installing stack" it works fine, but than came some "not a directory" Alerts. See here:

http://pastebin.com/3rk4Vksh

Even setting it manualy with a rebooter-app in fastboot mode dosn't works, because it was not listed.

My System: Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit (regular install). I dosn't have a fastboot cable yet, but the rebooter app. I think this is the point. The tool want to reboot it into fastboot, but it wants to boot normally.

Edit: I testet my fastboot with the instructons fron the 2nd bootloader tread and it works. But I have to boot normally and than rebooting it from the app into fastboot mode.

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
When did you download this? The most recent version installs the 2nd bootloader through the shell, not fastboot. And was your device rooted before trying to install the 2nd bootloader?

[Edit:] I think I see what the problem might be. Download this copy of the RootPlus script, place it in your ~/bin/SoupKit/files folder and replace the one that's already there. Let me know if that makes a difference and I'll upload an updated version.

Last edited:

Panixy

Jan 17, 2013
It was the same, but I found the error. The directory tmp and the file install-recovery.sh were withe a .bak below. Just renamed and it should work.

Edit: it was succsessfull ^^

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
It was the same, but I found the error. The directory tmp and the file install-recovery.sh were withe a .bak below. Just renamed and it should work.
Renaming install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak is a necessary part of the recovery install. Why your tmp directory was renamed, I couldn't say. I'm looking at the script now and I don't see anything of the sort. I'll keep looking at it to see if anything stands out at me.

Reactions: Panixy

Herc08

Jan 30, 2013
Thanks for this. I have a friend is no friend to linux, but I am. I read some other posts about rooting a kindle on software 7.30. Is this possible, or no? It's weird because people are successful to obtain root, but in post #2, it says that it will not work. just need to know so i can tell him.

either way, thank you for all the work that you do

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Due to recent updates, I've decided to remove the option to install Hashcode's 2nd bootloader. There are too many areas where things can go wrong so I think it would be best to let the user follow the small handful of instructions in the 2nd bootloader thread to get it done. IMO, it is not worth the risk to rely on the user to make sure a downgraded stock bootloader is installed before running the script. Plus I think using a script toinstall the downgraded bootloader gives users a false sense of safety in what is potentially very dangerous to do.

ROOT PLUS for 2nd Generation Kindle Fires

2013_04_23.jpg

That's right. This works for ALL 2nd generation Kindle Fires

What does it do?

The screenshot above should answer that question pretty quickly.

What do you need to know?

Since Hashcode's bootloader hack is device specific, you must download the version for your device. Each one has the exact same script but the stack, boot and recovery images are different for each particular device. You must have the SoupKit installed for this to work properly. It installs in the same way as the SoupKit; unzip, double click, run in terminal, blah blah.

Make sure you have ADB enabled under “Security” in the settings.

Anything else?

At any point after installation, if you need to run the utility again, just type "rootplus" in the terminal.

What's next?

I have a few more things in store for you guys and they will all be made for the SoupKit. As packages are installed, just type the name of the package in any terminal to launch them at any point (hence "modular"). Everything will be easy to install, easy to launch, and new user friendly.

Don't be skerrd. Move out of your comfort zone a little and give Linux and SoupKit a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Credits:

* Bin4ry - of course, for providing the root exploit
    * prokennexusa and his team - for testing this out on all of the second generation devices
    * Thepooch - for extensive testing and always being there to lend a hand

Downloads:

SoupKit - http://d-h.st/PbX

RootPlus for all Kindle Fires - http://d-h.st/jOe
    The SoupKit

soupkit.jpg

What is SoupKit? At it's heart, SoupKit is for those who are tired of messing around with Windows and are ready to do try something that works. It was created to be "sort of" modular in that after the ADB installer has been installed, other Linux scripts can be installed and run from the command line by just typing the name of the script and without worrying about changing directories or dealing with permissions. It's intended to make the transition from Windows to Linux for Android a little bit easier.

How does it work?

The SoupKit ADB Installer --- FOR ALL KINDLE FIRES

This puts everything where it needs to be, installs any necessary dependencies, installs drivers, configures Linux to run adb and fastboot commands, puts the SoupKit in your $PATH and cleans up after itself, all while taking a fraction of the space needed for the Android SDK. What this means for you is, you will be able open any terminal window and start entering adb or fastboot commands immediately. There's no need to change directories, add sudo commands or certain operators that are confusing to command line newbies ( ./ ). You can enter commands just as you see them in tutorials. No more worrying about “ADB Offline”, “Status Unknown” or “List of devices attached ????????????????”. This alone can make a huge difference for anyone having Kindle Fire problems that can't be fixed in Windows or those who are overwhelmed by the technicalities of configuring Linux for Android.

What you need:

First, you need Linux. Don't worry, it's not as bad as you may think.

Luckily, all Linux distros are free to download and install on your computer. It can also be booted from a USB flash drive so you don't have to wipe out your current OS (although you probably should anyway). You can use a VM, but the only VM that I've found that can detect the Kindle Fire in fastboot mode is Parallels. Vmware won't cut it, and VirtualBox sure as hell won't cut it so don't waste your time with them if you ever need to do anything in fastboot (if you're bricked, you need fastboot).

Probably the best method to get Linux running for a new user is by setting up a Linux LiveUSB.

I'm not going to teach you how to set up a Linux LiveUSB, but there are plenty of FREE programs out there that will not only create a Linux LiveUSB for you, but will download your choice of distro as well, and all you need is a USB flash drive (preferably 8GB or larger). A Google search of “Linux LiveUSB” will offer plenty of choices, although, PendriveLinux seems to be a favorite among most. Just be sure to add plenty of “persistence” (1 or more gigabytes) or you will lose everything every time you reboot. And the better quality of flash drive you can use, the better it will be in the long run. Some flash drives just don't do well and can cause some file system corruption over time (not something you want to be dealing with while you're having Kindle Fire problems).

You'll also have to figure out how to boot your computer from a USB. Check your computer's BIOS manufacturer website for instructions on how to do this.

If you're using a LiveUSB, there is no root/sudo password, just hit enter.

Do not use a USB 3.0 port

Once you have Linux installed and booted, you need to make sure your Internet is working. It may take some configuration on your part but it is necessary for the SoupKit to install properly. Luckily, once you have an Internet connection in Linux, the hard part is over.

Don't put the SoupKit.zip on the USB drive before creating the LiveUSB. Instead, use the web browser to navigate to this page and download it once you have Linux running and your Internet connected. Once it's downloaded, you'll likely find it in your Downloads folder.

SoupKit has been tested extensively on all the latest versions of Ubuntu and Mint, but it hasn't really been tested on anything outside of that. Try other distros if you will, but be warned.

To install:

Right-click the “SoupKit.zip”, select “Extract here” open the SoupKit folder and follow the instructions in the README.

Credits:

Don't worry. I didn't forget about you guys. I'll finish this when I have time. In the meantime, you know who you are, and thank you.

Is that all?

NOPE. What SoupKit would be complete without a little something to go with it?
    SEE POST #2

Changelog:

04-23-2013 - Update (RootPlus)
    * Removed option to install Hashcode's 2nd bootloader, for safety reasons. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Hashcode's 2nd bootloader. The risk lies in recent updates from Amazon.

03-16-2013 - Bugfix: (RootPlus)
    * Fixed issue with permissions on the rootplus script

03-10-2013 - Update: (RootPlus)
    * Added extra safety measures, including MD5 check on 2nd bootloader install

02-23-2013 - Initial release
    Update 3-10-2013: Added extra safety measures, including MD5 check on 2nd bootloader install

Okay, a few questions...

Do you have normal use of the device? Does it boot normally? Have you rebooted yet (if not, don't)

You still haven't told me what software version you are running or whether or not you've edited your build.prop...

What Linux distro/version are you using?

Is your Linux install a full install, LiveUSB, or VM?

Is it 32 or 64 bit?

Are you using a USB 3.0 port?

Do you have a factory cable?

What is the output of the following command?:
    Code:
    sudo cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules