[APP][2.1+] App Update Notifier: Crowd Edition

Search This thread

Goddchen

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2010
Konstanz
Hey everyone :)

Another app is finished - App Update Notifier: Crowd Edition!

It is basically the same code basis as the original App Update Notifier (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.x.appupdate) but it doesn't use any third-party APIs or web crawlers
to gather app version information. Instead, it relies totally on the "crowd". Whenever you check for updates,
your app versions are sent with the request and used to update the database. So, once the first user has an update
installed, everyone else will see the update, instantly!

The reason for this second edition of the app is that all the available APIs for app version infos are pretty much
outdated most of the time, sometimes up to 1 or 2 weeks... That's simply unsatisfying for users of an app update
notifier. With the ne strategy, I hope to solve this problem. Let's see how it goes... :)

Privacy notice: The app version infos are transmitted totally anonymous! There are 3 elements transfered for each
app: package name, version code an version name. That's it, no device id, email address, or anything!

Looking forward to your feedback! :)

Grab the app at the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.appupdate.crowd

or use the QR code:
chart

And, as requested, a Drive link to the APKs :)
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3m7udRtUYhCWXJLcF9OV0hoMmM/edit?usp=sharing

2013/03/06: Apps in the index: 11.500
2013/03/13: New database/index for new filter-by-model-and-android-version logic
2013/03/14: Apps in index: 19.000

Goddchen

Last edited by a moderator:

.xxx.

Oct 8, 2011
Mumbai
Re: [APP] App Update Notifier: Crowd Edition

Concept is quite nice.. will install and check the app and give you the feedback :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Goddchen

Mar 4, 2010
Konstanz
AW: [APP] App Update Notifier: Crowd Edition

Awesome. Looking forward to your feedback :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

.xxx.

Oct 8, 2011
Mumbai

Okay.. umm..
Suggestions/feedback :
1. The app requires to update it's database often since it didnt show update to couple of my apps that were shown by play store.
2. Everytime i changed from update app tab to my installed app tab, it prompted me to either purchase app to remove ads or promoted me with a dialogue box saying it to rate the app. That seems kind of annoying to me at least. Maybe you can reduce the frequency to once everytime the app is opened or something like that.

Goddchen

Mar 4, 2010
Konstanz
1. The app requires to update it's database often since it didnt show update to couple of my apps that were shown by play store.
Well, there are currently 10 users ;) Of course, the database will improve once more users are using the app. That's part of the process...
2. Everytime i changed from update app tab to my installed app tab, it prompted me to either purchase app to remove ads or promoted me with a dialogue box saying it to rate the app. That seems kind of annoying to me at least. Maybe you can reduce the frequency to once everytime the app is opened or something like that.
That's definitely a bug, it doesn't happen for me. It should only popup every 10% or so... Is this reproducable?

cognosco

Apr 1, 2012

Installed and testing!

Verstuurd van mijn C6603 met Tapatalk

Goddchen

Mar 4, 2010
Konstanz
1200 apps in index, with that speed we will have a pretty well filled database quite soon :)

.xxx.

Oct 8, 2011
Mumbai

Great.. i liked the app.. rating it 5*.. hope, in future, it's worth the same :)

cms5423

Feb 18, 2010
twitter.com
Just one thing: I wish it also check playstore version but with priority given for crowd-sourced versions (so if then only if the play store version is newer then the crowd-sourced version, then the play store version would show):good:

Sp1tfire

Apr 15, 2009
Bucharest

Testing it now, hope it's better than aTrackdog, which hasn't been updated in years and is showing lots of false updates. You did cram lots of ads into it, didn't you? :D Wished it only showed ads on top or bottom, not both. And yes, rating and removing ads prompt way too often. Nevertheless, it seems to work fine for now. Identified all my Amazon apps which are behind Google Play versions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

turkishness

Feb 28, 2013
i'm a little confused, it shows that a few apps need updating, yet when i tap them it takes me to the apps page in the play store.

does this mean that i would have to update each app individually by going in and out of the play store??

Oct 30, 2012

How do I actually update the apps? When I click on them, I'm taken to the PlayStore where one of two things happens:
A) Google reports the apps are up to date
or
B) the apps aren't found.

I also have AppBrain installed and that's not finding updated apps either.

Please advise.

Sent from my Slim Bean GNex :D

Sp1tfire

Apr 15, 2009
Bucharest

If Google Play reports your apps are up-to-date, means there's no other official version out yet, but there's a beta version or some other version of the app floating around on the internet (developers' sites, forums, other markets, etc)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012

If Google Play reports your apps are up-to-date, means there's no other official version out yet, but there's a beta version or some other version of the app floating around on the internet (developers' sites, forums, etc)

So I have to manually find the apps that need updating? The article I read stated App Update Notifier uses either AppBrain or the PlayStore to update apps...
Neither of those are telling me I have updates...
Why can't I update from App Update Notifier?
What's the point of the app otherwise?

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

i'm a little confused, it shows that a few apps need updating, yet when i tap them it takes me to the apps page in the play store.

does this mean that i would have to update each app individually by going in and out of the play store??

I'm having the same issue but the PlayStore can't find the apps that need updating.

Sp1tfire

Apr 15, 2009
Bucharest

The point is to check if there's a new version of apps. If you only use apps from Google Play, you don't really need it. But if you use apps from Amazon, Handango or apps such as the ones posted on xda that never reach a paid market, you would like to know if there's a newer version available.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone :)

Another app is finished - App Update Notifier: Crowd Edition!

It is basically the same code basis as the original App Update Notifier (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.x.appupdate) but it doesn't use any third-party APIs or web crawlers
    to gather app version information. Instead, it relies totally on the "crowd". Whenever you check for updates,
    your app versions are sent with the request and used to update the database. So, once the first user has an update
    installed, everyone else will see the update, instantly!

The reason for this second edition of the app is that all the available APIs for app version infos are pretty much
    outdated most of the time, sometimes up to 1 or 2 weeks... That's simply unsatisfying for users of an app update
    notifier. With the ne strategy, I hope to solve this problem. Let's see how it goes... :)

Privacy notice: The app version infos are transmitted totally anonymous! There are 3 elements transfered for each
    app: package name, version code an version name. That's it, no device id, email address, or anything!

Looking forward to your feedback! :)

Grab the app at the Play Store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.appupdate.crowd

or use the QR code:
    chart

And, as requested, a Drive link to the APKs :)
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3m7udRtUYhCWXJLcF9OV0hoMmM/edit?usp=sharing

2013/03/06: Apps in the index: 11.500
    2013/03/13: New database/index for new filter-by-model-and-android-version logic
    2013/03/14: Apps in index: 19.000

Goddchen
    You did cram lots of ads into it, didn't you? :D Wished it only showed ads on top or bottom, not both. And yes, rating and removing ads prompt way too often.

Removed the now unneccessary AppAware banner and reduced the frequency of popups by half, now 10%.
    Hey there, obviously, I have a version for third-party app stores planned! It will be available at the weekend!

For now, here is the Drive link to the APK. Please note, that the "remove ads" in-app purchase will of course not be working if you don't have the Play Store available ;)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3m7udRtUYhCYnNvRHVpejZHdFk/edit?usp=sharing
    Great app.
    Would need an option to ignore apps (as system apps that are modified by rom dev/cooker and therefore given another version number)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Did you check out the second tab on the main screen? It is exactly for that purpose. Uncheck apps that should not be checked! :)
    installation limit seems quite usefull but it could be used later when database will be filled

Next bad report:
    SD Maid
    Your version: 2.0.2.3 (210)
    Online version: 1.2.1.5 (1215)

It seems that it compares 1215 to 210 first

Also it would be nice to have counters on Updates/Installed Apps

The versionName i.e. 2.0.2.3 is a string while the versionCode is an integer.
    It is pretty difficult to use the versionName to establish an update order, as there is no naming conventions to it, while the versionCode has to increase with each version.
    But that isn't the issue here.

2.0.2.3 is the current market version of SD Maid.
    There isn't and never was a 1.2.1.5 version of SD Maid.
    Unfortunately though there is a cracked version floating around that identifies itself as 1.2.1.5, it contains intrusive ads (push and email notifications) and possibly spyware :(.

Hm so what happened? Basicly what rollingdices and Marx2 already mentioned.
    A user had that version installed and send the information to your server which accepted it and tells everyone else about the new update.
    Oh oh :(, thats open for abuse...

Some ideas for improvement:
    - At least X person need to have a version before the server accepts it
    - Additionally send the apps signature to your server, if the new version has a different signature, it is not an update for that app, despite having the same packagename.
    - To combat the issue of beta version or developer versions that might have the same version code/name, you could also send the apks checksum to your server
    That should already exclude alot of issues.

Interesting app idea :)