Need help getting update on rooted phone

Search This thread

MacemanD

Feb 20, 2013
Hat-tip .Torrented from our discussion here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2152993&page=12

1. Get Facepalm S-Off: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155069
  2. Download stock recovery from: http://goo.im/devs/Flyhalf205/DNA/dlx_recovery_signed.img
  3. Flash the stock recovery using:
  4. Once you are on stock recovery, and assuming you're on stock kernel, it allows you to take the OTA update!
  5. After you take the ota just flash the custom recovery of your choice again. CWM Touch is a good option: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
  6. Flash the superuser-busybox.zip to root.

This gives you a completely clean "factory" upgrade to 2.04, without losing any of your data (YMMV - so pls always take a backup before you do this).

It worked for me - yippee!!!

Software number: 2.04.605.2 710RD
Kernel version: 3.4.10-ga02d2c6
Baseband version: 1.01.01.0110

Whole procedure took less than 15 minutes :)

I did 1-4 and my phone finally accepted the update! But, now I don't have root and your step 5 gives me an error.

C:\Users\Mace>fastboot flash recovery C:\Users\Mace\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows
-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\superuser.zip
sending 'recovery' (2034 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.333s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: image error! (BootMagic check fail))
finished. total time: 0.373s

Also, where can I found superuser-busybox.zip as you mention in step 6?

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
I did 1-4 and my phone finally accepted the update! But, now I don't have root and your step 5 gives me an error.

C:\Users\Mace>fastboot flash recovery C:\Users\Mace\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows
-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\superuser.zip
sending 'recovery' (2034 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.333s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: image error! (BootMagic check fail))
finished. total time: 0.373s

Also, where can I found superuser-busybox.zip as you mention in step 6?

I think you're trying to flash the SU-busybox package as your recovery. They're 2 different things. You need to flash CWM Touch as your recovery from the bootloader like this:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(recovery.img being the file you download from CWM)

Then go into custom recovery (CWM), have the SU Busybox file (attached to this post) on your phone and flash it from recovery.

In all honesty, I haven't even done steps 5 and 6 on my phone yet, but it does shows my status as unlocked and S-Off, so I believe it shouldn't be a challenge to do that (as validated by .Torrented and other elsewhere on these forums).

Attachments

• SU_Busybox_Package.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
Thanks zanyguy for the procedure and process outline. I have a question regarding my current format and was wondering if going to a stock rooted version would work for me. Since every end user is different then there are different things they want of course. For me the process is very simple. I like a very lean system. I also like to try and achieve many things to look as close to AOSP as I can get and keep functionality. My current setup has the phone unlocked, rooted, s-off and running Viper 1.1.3. My radio is the OTA update radio of 1.01.01.0110 and my kernel is the same 3.4.10-ga02d2c6. What I wonder is this. Should I even bother trying to flash the stock Rom? Is there any benefits to doing so? And if I do give it a spin should I just restore the Viper DNA rom or re flash anew?

Thanks

Unfortunately I'm not the best person to answer this, as I haven't tried out Viper ROM myself.

As you said, every user's needs are different: mine are simply that I wanted root, but otherwise I want to stay as close to Verizon/HTC official ROM as possible, because I use this phone extensively for work, and stability is paramount for me. Also, I want it to be hassle-free i.e. where I don't need to keep tweaking it every week or so...

I'm sure others on this forum will be able to guide you better.

MacemanD

Feb 20, 2013
I think you're trying to flash the SU-busybox package as your recovery. They're 2 different things. You need to flash CWM Touch as your recovery from the bootloader like this:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(recovery.img being the file you download from CWM)

Then go into custom recovery (CWM), have the SU Busybox file (attached to this post) on your phone and flash it from recovery.

In all honesty, I haven't even done steps 5 and 6 on my phone yet, but it does shows my status as unlocked and S-Off, so I believe it shouldn't be a challenge to do that (as validated by .Torrented and other elsewhere on these forums).

Thanks brah, that worked! The problem was I didn't download the correct file off that CWM site (I had downloaded a zip instead of a img).

My apps are receiving permissions again, thanks!

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
just to clarify a few things because its driving me nuts...

1) You did not need s-off to do what the OP intended to do (which from what I understand is to get rid of the OTA unless he wanted the firmware package)

2) Getting s-off doesn't wipe the phone, unlocking the bootloader does and or performing a full system wipe, which neither are required to perform s-off

3) All the OP needed to do was flash the OTA remover mod in the Droid DNA Android Development Section

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for your response Jrocker,

So it looks like the best way to do this would be to backup my apps with Titanium, get S-off, install a stock ROM with the update, flash the kernel and radio, then restore from Titanium.

Step 1. Make nandroid
    Step 2. Backup apps with Titanium, copy backup along with pics and video to PC
    Step 3. Get S-off
    Step 4. Flash Stock ROM - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149095
    Step 5. While still in recovery, flash stock kernel http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149951
    Step 6. Flash stock radio http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155915
    Step 7. Restore apps and pics.

Does that look correct? Do I have to worry about flashing a boot.img or modules(don't know what those are)?

Have you unlocked the bootloader? (this step is usually done in connection with rooting the phone at the htcdev.com website). If you have an ulocked bootloader, then you can flash an alternate recovery (eithe cwr or twrp) and do a nandroid backup.

Then follow the steps to get s-off. Note: the step where you have your data wiped is unlocking the bootloader, not obtaining s-off. If you already have an alternate recovery, and root, then s-off generally will not wipe your phone. But do an nandroid backup in cwr or twrp just in case :) Although a nandroid won't backup pictures etc.

Once you have s-off, flash the stock (but rooted) rom you linked to in step 4. This step SHOULD flash the stock kernel if the .zip file was prepared properly. If you boot into the rom and have flickering or wifi issues, then you will need to flash the stock 2.04 kernel (in fastboot). You can also verify if the new kernel was installed when the rom is booted by looking at the Settings:About:Software Information:More (baseband, kernel etc). You should see there kernel version 3.4.10. The baseband (radio) should be 1.01.01.0110 once you have updated the radio (see the step below). The kernel file is the boot.img file you were asking about. The modules will already be built into the stock rom.

While in fastboot (not recovery) you can flash the updated radio files (that will make the baseband referred to above be 1.01.01.0110.

The time when you need to worry about flashing a kernel (boot.img) and modules is if you are s-on, or if you are s-off and the zip file was prepared as you were s-on. When you flash a "kernel", it consists of a boot.img file, along with some extraneous files (the module). When you are s-off, these can both be flashed together while in recovery. When you are s-on, the boot.img file must be flashed from fastboot (or else an alternate method using an app like Flash Image GUI). Because until recently, most DNA's were s-on, the kernel developers prepared their files for s-on devices, with instructions for s-on devices.

When you flash a rom that uses a different kernel than the one you are using, if the .zip file is prepared for a s-off device, then there are no additional steps necessary.

You may want to do a factory reset when you flash the updated 2.04 rom. I think it would be wise. As I said earlier, you shouldn't lose your /sdcard partition UNLESS you haven't already unlocked your bootloader. s-off doesn't reset your device.
    Let me start off by saying I have been reading these forums for a couple days and I am just getting more confused.

Currently I have root, S-On, and no other mods or ROMs. I am getting the popup notification to update literally every time I turn on the screen. I can select defer and set a date about a week in the future from whatever day it is, but the popup comes back within the hour. A few times it even began downloading on its own (while on 4G as well, ~100 mb of data used up every time).

All I would like to do is somehow get my phone to be as if I were complete stock and accepted the OTA, keep root, and not have to wipe any data (or be able to restore a full nandroid). I am getting very frustrated with everything and once I think I understand it, someone throws out something new to me.

If anyone is willing to take some time to help me with this I would gladly make a donation, either to them or another party of their choosing

You can simply flash a stock rom that has the update & flash the newer stock kernel that goes with it but you wont be able to update the radios. You wont lose any info this way unless something goes wrong.(always backup everything just in case something goes wrong).

As for backup, you will only be able to backup aps & data with titanium backup or some sort of program like that because If you do a nandroid backup and then restore after applying the update, you would be restoring your old rom basically over the new one and lose most update enhancements.

You should just follow the thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155069 and go S-Off. I know you will have to restore everything because you will wipe your phone when you do this but its only gonna make things easier for you in the future.

Do a nan backup and save it in case you want to use it in the future and go back to what you had. Once you have S-Off, you can flash kernals, radios, & roms and put in any version you want.
    Wow, all I can say is thank you so much! That was an awesome, detailed answer. It makes so much more sense when someone fully explains everything all at once, instead of me trying to piece everything together myself from various threads.

Yes my bootloader is unlocked. So you are saying once the bootloader is unlocked wiping data won't touch the SD card partition, just as if I had an actual SD card? When I rooted my Thunderbolt and did subsequent factory resets on that, it never touched the SD card. When I rooted my DNA it wiped everything. Either way I will always make backups and copy those to my PC.

I will be trying this later today and I will report back with the results. Seriously, thank you so much.

I was looking for this exact solution as well. This was before we had s-off. For a while my solution was to freeze a couple apps in TB so the OTA pop up would stop popping up. I think it was HTC DM 1.0.2219251543..... and HtcDm 1.0.221982913.... Looks the same but they are different.

I like stock but I eventually flashed ViperDNA. It looks like stock but you are able to customize the $h!!t out of it. Its an awesome ROM that I highly recommend. Although you might want to wait until he comes out with 1.2 (the new version with the latest firmware) becuase you have to wipe data. Data wiping isn't a big deal if you use TB.

Ether way you go - Stock ROM or ViperDNA - The recommended way to wipe your device is this way:

(I'm using TWRP but CR should be similar, might be in different menus)
    • Backup everything using TB
    • Backup Pics and other docs on internal SD card (JUST IN CASE)
    • Make Nandroid Backup in Recovery
    • Wipe Menu-> Wipe Dalvik Cache (some like to wipe 3 times others think its just a waste of time)
    • Wipe Menu-> Wipe Cache (Factory Reset wipes cache but I like to wipe cache anyway just for completeness )
    • Wipe Menu-> Factory Reset
    • Wipe Menu-> System

Don't Format Data and Don't wipe Internal Storage. You will loose SD card contents.

Once you install your ROMS, flash your kernals, flash radios...whatever you want to do...You can restore apps and data from TB
    As always, follow the ROMS instructions on their page for more information.

• Only Restore User Apps and Data
    • Never restore any system apps in RED. May not be compatible with new ROM
    • You can however restore system Data that is in Yellow or Green (DATA ONLY)
    I'm using the first one, which isn't deodexed. But I'm keeping my rom close to stock this week :)

Next week, when the Viper rom has been updated to 2.04, I'll be flashing that, and probably a theme.

You indicated that you aren't currently running any mods or themes. Unless you are looking to change, I would suggest you flash the first rom you linked, which is stock, except for the root capability being added to it.

The de-odexed rom you asked about will have been modified, deleting the .odex files so that the rom can further be customized by themes etc. When a phone boots a rom that is missing the .odex files, it will take longer to boot because it will essentially create the missing .odex files on the fly while booting. But when you are modding your rom, adding themes etc., existing .odex files get in the way, so that is why developers remove the .odex files, even though the rom will take longer to boot. Once the phone is booted, whether the rom was odexed or not becomes irrelevant.

For now, if you are looking to be on the latest radio and HTC rom, I suggest you get s-off, then flash the basic 2.04 rom (the one you linked to first), and the updated radios. Hopefully HTC will soon release the updated source files for the 2.04 kernel, and then we will have more customization.

If you are looking to customize now, I would get s-off, then flash the updated radios, but stay with a rom based on the original released rom and source (like Viper). The latest Viper rom (with updates to 1.1.3) has modifications so that you won't have to worry about getting bugged to update your ROM for 2.04. If you decided to go with Viper, it is a little confusing when viper is updating from 1.1 to 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 to 1.1.3, because it uses an over-the-air (OTA) update process similar to the stock OTA update. So you may see notices for updates - but the updates would be for Viper. Once you have gotten your phone s-off, you don't need to worry about updates causing problems.

Is that ROM deodexed? Or would I be better off using this one? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2080200
    Although there are several ways to start removing bloatware, one of the easiest ways is to go into TiBu, and freeze apps. Make a nandroid backup first, and start slow.

Some apps have dependencies, you freeze one, and another might not work, like contacts and dialer.

After you have frozen an app, and are confident that it isn't necessary, you can delete it if you want.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2