Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Difficult to develop for GS4?

OP Piaband

16th March 2013, 05:35 PM   |  #11  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,821
 
13,533 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaband

Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound

Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 08:50 PM   |  #12  
Reviewers's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1,670
 
3,047 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
I think it'll make AOSP (CM/AOKP) hard to develop but there super people! I'm sure they'll figure it out and help!
However Touchwiz ROM's could be pulled and edited! We won't lose any features/it won't be hard.
16th March 2013, 10:53 PM   |  #13  
Livebyte's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 348
 
537 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviewers

I think it'll make AOSP (CM/AOKP) hard to develop but there super people! I'm sure they'll figure it out and help!
However Touchwiz ROM's could be pulled and edited! We won't lose any features/it won't be hard.

Project Butter in Exynos 4210 devices (eg. Note & S2) is still broken until today and will never be solved.
A technically inferior Galaxy Nexus is superior to the Note. Take that for a change.
You have no idea how frustrated and angry are we people targeting Samsung in the Note & S2 forums.
I swore never to buy anymore Exynos devices after this fiasco.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Livebyte For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2013, 12:53 AM   |  #14  
browy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Zürich
Thanks Meter: 203
 
377 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebyte

Project Butter in Exynos 4210 devices (eg. Note & S2) is still broken until today and will never be solved.
A technically inferior Galaxy Nexus is superior to the Note. Take that for a change.
You have no idea how frustrated and angry are we people targeting Samsung in the Note & S2 forums.
I swore never to buy anymore Exynos devices after this fiasco.

And the S3 community, count it in. We're fed up with all those broken promises too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2013, 01:50 AM   |  #15  
tbong777's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Myrtle Beach
Thanks Meter: 344
 
2,111 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaband

Do all these new sensors and proprietary software (camera features, gesture features, etc) make it more difficult to develop customs ROMs for the gs4? Or will we just get ROMs that don't use all these new features and sensors

Sent from my aokp_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Only for developers that want to wipe Samsung off the phone. Which I don't understand since most of the new hardware features require drivers Samsung rightfully will not release. For the longest time and to this day you could not get the FM radio to work on CM without buying a $10 Spirit radio app.

I'm sure there will be plenty of developers that will develop deoxed custom ROMs and great kernels with tweaks OCing etc. . Omega already to jump in. The only custom ROM's I've ever used were that of STOCK ROM development where features could be enhanced and drivers would not be a problem. CM always seems to have something missing or not working.

Why buy a Samsung device and then wipe it clean of all the great features? Just buy a Nexus 4

That said. I don't mind running an ASOP ROM on my Nexus 7 I will be glad to get rid of when Samsung releases the 6.5" Note 3.

For many a stock base is good enough with a custom launcher. This is a very very small community. I know at least 12 people with an S 3and 6 with Notes. None of them even want their phones rooted.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
Last edited by tbong777; 17th March 2013 at 01:59 AM.
17th March 2013, 03:28 AM   |  #16  
Phoneguy589's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag S.E. Florida
Thanks Meter: 326
 
1,805 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Donate to Me
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
The real question I have is.. If the UK and the US get the quad core processor, Which device would have more developers....Exynos or Snapdragon?

Sent from my SGS3 using xda premium
17th March 2013, 06:54 AM   |  #17  
howtomen's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brea CA
Thanks Meter: 1,221
 
1,992 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneguy589

The real question I have is.. If the UK and the US get the quad core processor, Which device would have more developers....Exynos or Snapdragon?

Sent from my SGS3 using xda premium

Snapdragon always gets more aosp... So i assume more serious devs that are still in board will get Qualcomm

trolol and awayyy!! Expect typos this is my phone.
17th March 2013, 06:58 AM   |  #18  
Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 3,333
 
6,503 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaband

Do all these new sensors and proprietary software (camera features, gesture features, etc) make it more difficult to develop customs ROMs for the gs4? Or will we just get ROMs that don't use all these new features and sensors

I think GS4 & Note3 development will be pretty similar to GS2, Note, GS3 and Note2.

AFAIK, for example, the AOSP based ROMs don't really support the S-Pen on the Notes, but that's more app specific.

Cameras have long been, and will likely continue to be a problem. Video capture rates may be lower, features like both cameras, sound in pictures, smart scroll may not be supportable.

As always, for stock features, there will be stock based ROMs. Take your choice, features or AOSP based.

As with all the other Galaxy S class devices, there will be two main variants: International Exynos Octa & US/LTE/Qualcomm. ROMs, XDA forum sections and many issues will be different for each.

I predict that many ROM devs will continue to complain about the lack of Exynos info and source code. But they will develop, as best they can. I'd like to see Samsung open up more, Sony and Qualcomm are better at open-ness.

And there will be at least one other group for the Qualcomm variants; I'd hope the US carrier variants will all be able to run the same ROMs, but previous experience is different I guess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tbong777

For the longest time and to this day you could not get the FM radio to work on CM without buying a $10 Spirit radio app.

1st post of my thread has links to free versions, as well as free alphas of Spirit2, with digital audio features for Galaxy S class devices.

I hope the proposed Android FM API will see success and provide more options.
Last edited by mikereidis; 17th March 2013 at 07:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2013, 07:41 AM   |  #19  
Phoneguy589's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag S.E. Florida
Thanks Meter: 326
 
1,805 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Donate to Me
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtomen

Snapdragon always gets more aosp... So i assume more serious devs that are still in board will get Qualcomm

trolol and awayyy!! Expect typos this is my phone.

Only reason I ask is that the i9300 get newer software updates vs the 8747 or t999. I was recently dead set on getting the i9500 but now it well be based more on development. The the ir blaster won't work km cm or aosp as it doesn't work on the note 10.1...Only touch wiz. Not really a big deal to me but I was Curtis as th where most devs are from that usually get the international ones. LTE to me means is reach my data cap sooner so hsdpa+ is plenty quick got me.

Sent from my SGS3 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoneguy589 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2013, 07:50 AM   |  #20  
JaZart's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 206
 
971 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.

Yeah, I guess that's just for exynos based galaxy devices. My US S2 Variant has several 4.2.2 aosp roms. Aokp, cm10.1, pac, slim, rootbox etc. I assume the USA s4 will be similar.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaZart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes