Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,461 Members 47,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Change your Boot Splash + ZIPs + Online Generator + Warning Gone + Ville/C2

Tip us?

rootrider
Old
(Last edited by rootrider; 16th March 2013 at 05:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknites View Post
Oh right, not really messed with Hboot other then the downgrade and S-Off and this mod so I think I stop there lol.
Same thing here.

Tecardo
Old
Thanks Meter 619

DONATE TO ME
Changing Recovery: Get you a ota firmware.zip
Change the interneal partition (only let the hboot in there and replace it with the hboot you want) and flash how you normally flash a firmware.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to Tecardo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sneakyghost
Old
(Last edited by Sneakyghost; 16th March 2013 at 07:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6970

DONATE TO ME
Default AW: [HOW-TO] Change your Boot Splash + Flashable ZIPs + Online Generator + Warning Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecardo View Post
Changing Recovery: Get you a ota firmware.zip
Change the interneal partition (only let the hboot in there and replace it with the hboot you want) and flash how you normally flash a firmware.zip
Thanks. That was it. Now I remember.

Here's a step-by-step for n00bies or those who suffer from digital dementia like i do:

I. grab an empty OTA.zip.
II. insert your desired hboot in there just like tec said. You can use 7zip for that (just drag in your hboot and delete the original one)
III. put that into the folder where your ADB.exe and Fastboot.exe sit. Search it if you don't know that (hint hint i copied all adb and fastboot relevant files to C:\Android to have it easier with CMD commands). Once your zip is there, put phone to fastboot mode and then just open command and navigate to that folder (cd c:\android or whatever is your path).
IV. Now type:

1. fastboot oem lock (device should be relocked for this or else the ota.zip won't flash i think, just try without and see if it works)
2. Fastboot oem rebootRUU (this reboots into the RUU mode you usually see when you run a RUU)
3. fastboot flash zip [nameofyourzip].zip (this command can be typed again if it throws an error the first time)
4. fastboot reboot-bootloader (this command will bring you back to bootloader where you can see if your hboot changed)
Alternatively:
4.a. fastboot reboot (that will bring you straight back to your system).

[EDIT]
Numbers I. to IV. are bollocks, don't work like that. check Touch Of Jobo's follow-up post for ready-made zips. Sorry. I am humiliated
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sneakyghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

touch of jobo
Old
(Last edited by touch of jobo; 16th November 2013 at 04:58 PM.) Reason: Added hboot 2.16 - orig and modded.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 527

DONATE TO ME
Default fastboot

Since it it now considered bad practice to flash hboot in recovery, I have repackaged all the zips to be fastboot flashable in RUU mode.

Recipe:
  • boot your Ville into fastboot mode,
    connect USB cable,
    on your PC open a terminal window / command prompt.

• fastboot oem rebootRUU

wait for black screen with white HTC text

• fastboot flash zip modded_hboot_1.13.0000.zip
    (.. or whichever .zip you choose. It should say OKAY)

• fastboot reboot-bootloader
    To reboot into fastboot mode using the new hboot.

orig_ = unmodified, straight from the RUU.
modded_ = red warning text edited out.

Edit: @Sneakyghost:
I was just typing that
Step I, II and III, are already done.
In step IV, you dont have to be bootloader locked. At least not if you're S-Off. I don't know about S-On.

Edit: Added hboot 2.16 - orig and modded.
Attached Files
File Type: zip modded_hboot_1.06.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (397.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_1.09.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (400.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_1.13.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (399.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_1.14.0002.zip - [Click for QR Code] (405.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_1.14.0004.zip - [Click for QR Code] (373.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_1.14.0005.zip - [Click for QR Code] (373.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_2.15.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (400.9 KB, 1736 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_1.06.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (397.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_1.09.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (400.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_1.13.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (399.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_1.14.0002.zip - [Click for QR Code] (405.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_1.14.0004.zip - [Click for QR Code] (373.4 KB, 235 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_2.15.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (401.0 KB, 1867 views)
File Type: zip modded_hboot_2.16.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (398.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: zip orig_hboot_2.16.0000.zip - [Click for QR Code] (398.7 KB, 637 views)
-- | Ville (S4) | HTC__001 | HBOOT-1.13.0000 | S-Off | CWM-6.0.2.9 | --
-- | Bravo PVT-1 amoled | S-Off | alpharev-cm7 | Ra-2.0.1 | 1.5G ext4 | --

GCS/M a>+ s:- d+@ e++(*) h+ r- y+ C++ M++$ L+ U*L>$ w PS+ PE- Y+ W+ DI+@ G b+>++ t
If you have an always-on machine and some spare bandwidth, consider running a Tor relay.

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to touch of jobo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sneakyghost
Old
(Last edited by Sneakyghost; 16th March 2013 at 07:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6970

DONATE TO ME
Yeah mate you seriously ROCK!

I sit here since half an hour taking apart the 3.16 OTA zip and try to reconfigure the updater-script and also try to modify the firmware.zip and i fail.
:banghead:

I now hate myself. I am going to flash a modified hboot to my head with the wrong recovery. I will brick my head.

[EDIT]
Is that really all there is? An Android-Info.txt plus the hboot-file?
I was looking at the OTA structure and its quite complex due to the included system update. I was trying to take that out for one and secondly i attempted to edit the firmware.zip in there. The updater script has a write_firmware_package command i also had never seen before so i assumed for the whole thing to work i would need to leave the ota.zip structure mostly intact and just edit it according to our needs.
I was totally unaware of the fact that the firmware-package doesn't need to be included into an ota.zip but can rather be flashed straight as is.
Then: how did you manage to edit that firmware.zip? All my archivers where throwing errors????

touch of jobo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 527

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakyghost View Post
Is that really all there is? An Android-Info.txt plus the hboot-file?
Uhm .. apparently ... it works for me. I've tested them on my own device.

Quote:
I was totally unaware of the fact that the firmware-package doesn't need to be included into an ota.zip but can rather be flashed straight as is.
But then I guess you're flashing firmware in recovery, which is frowned upon. Except that in the case of an OTA it's supposed to be the stock recovery, and trusted to be safe.

Quote:
Then: how did you manage to edit that firmware.zip? All my archivers where throwing errors????
I didn't edit any zip file. I just zipped up those 2 files together. Like:
jobuntu:~ jobo$ zip modded_hboot_1.06.0000.zip android-info.txt hboot.nb0

GCS/M a>+ s:- d+@ e++(*) h+ r- y+ C++ M++$ L+ U*L>$ w PS+ PE- Y+ W+ DI+@ G b+>++ t
If you have an always-on machine and some spare bandwidth, consider running a Tor relay.

The Following User Says Thank You to touch of jobo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sneakyghost
Old
(Last edited by Sneakyghost; 16th March 2013 at 08:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6970

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of jobo View Post
Uhm .. apparently ... it works for me. I've tested them on my own device.

But then I guess you're flashing firmware in recovery, which is frowned upon. Except that in the case of an OTA it's supposed to be the stock recovery, and trusted to be safe.

I didn't edit any zip file. I just zipped up those 2 files together. Like:
jobuntu:~ jobo$ zip modded_hboot_1.06.0000.zip android-info.txt hboot.nb0

Yea second mistake of mine: the original OTA Zip flashes some stuff through recovery, although the updater-script looks like its not flashing the actual firmware-zip through recovery, but also not sure. Not very good at reading that code.

Touch, i got an Android-Tasker script (CMD) which i once wrote for myself to accomplish all those bothersome command tasks. I am now editing it to offer a selection of hboots and flash the selected one with a one-click style action.
You OK with that? I'd post it here, just as an additional service. I do that mainly for learning stuff.

[EDIT]
I am having trouble flashing the edited hboots this way. The original hboots flash fine but not the modified ones, not sure where the error is yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakyghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

touch of jobo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 527

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You OK with that? I'd post it here, just as an additional service. I do that mainly for learning stuff.
I'm OK with you posting stuff in here, but a couple of thoughts to consider:

* Flashing hboots doesnt need to be easy but it does need to be safe. It's not something that people would (or should!!) do often. Maybe once to get rid of the red text and once to get back to stock. There is no known advantage of one hboot over another on S-Off anyway.
Also, flashing while booted in android may be somewhat safer from a kernel point of view, but there is so much other stuff going on that the whole environment is less predictable (than in recovery or especially fastboot/RUU mode).

* This thread was supposed to be about boot screen modding. (Yes, I know we took a bit of left turn..)

So it could make more sense to edit your script to convert and flash splashes than hboots, (Writing to p14 is totally safe any time. You can literally dump garbage into it and you get color-noise as a splash.) or open a thread on learning stuff about how to write android tasker commands to mod and manipulate the device.

But again, you're welcome to post anything in here that you feel is appropriate and maybe even useful.

-Jobo

Quote:
[EDIT]
I am having trouble flashing the edited hboots this way. The original hboots flash fine but not the modified ones, not sure where the error is yet.
Which one? What error message do you get?

The Following User Says Thank You to touch of jobo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

touch of jobo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 527

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Tec tried to explain it to me but i didn't quite understand or else i would have explained it here on thread but flashing hboots from within recovery is dangerous.
If your recovery is good, it is safer than while booted, because less other stuff is going on. I guess what it comes down to is that kernels used in recoveries are under less scrutiny than those used in full roms, so there is a higher chance of issues slipping through unnoticed. (Unnoticed until someone does something different and bricks.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMonger View Post
I will most definitely be using that when I get my new replacement and trying this again lol.
Ha! You dont have to be polite if you think its cheesy (I do .. my scrapbooking skillz). But you said peace and pink so I figured rainbow. If you do like it, here is the gimp file so you can change the text.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LMN.xcf.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.13 MB, 28 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to touch of jobo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sneakyghost
Old
(Last edited by Sneakyghost; 13th May 2013 at 01:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6970

DONATE TO ME
Default Hboot Flasher batch script

Read your post too late. Work done so i will post it. Took me ages because when scripting fastboot oem rebootRUU with a flash zip command in succession, it always fails and it took me ages to figure out there needs to be a wait inbetween because fastboot oem rebootRUU doesn't seem to wait whereas the normal fastboot reboot contains a wait for device function somehow.

Here's the Flasher packed in a self extracting WinRAR archive:

LINK to HBOOT Flasher

13th of may 2013
- Added option 16: open CMD Prompt (to be able to quickly change CID when the zips refuse to flash...)

05th of may 2013:
-corrected an error in the script.
-inserted a confirm for S-OFF and Product at launch-time

If i understand this right, the RUU mode can also flash to p14 as splash, can't it? i mean the RUU would also update that part wouldn't it? So actually i can just adapt this script to flash the respective splash files but i would need to know how to name them correctly so its not flashing the p14 to p12 or some evil sh!t like that
would you know how that would look like correctly done?

[EDIT]
The Hboot files all contain HTC__001 in the Android-info.txt file. I just had one user who could not flash them on his HTC__102 device.
If you happen to get error 42 wrong customer ID and get stuck in RUU Mode, please just run this command in CMD: "fastboot oem writecid HTC__001" and then repeat the hboot flash. It will be good then. Avoid rebooting the phone, just leave it stuck where it is and do the writecid command, then repeat the hboot flash. I updated the script so that option 16 opens a command prompt for you in the right place.

Also i forgot to point out this: the flasher script does NOT reboot the phone when its finished to give u a chance to see if everything worked good. You have to pick option 14 (reboot to bootloader) or 15 (reboot to system) afterwards to reboot. The green progress-bar on the phone will stop at about 3/4 of the way. That is normal! It only moves on when you do the reboot command!
It basically is to hold it there in case anything went wrong. If i had done the reboot automatically and say, the hboot got erased but not flashed, it would brick instantly. This way, you can catch errors and then decide to reboot if all went well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneakyghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
boot splash, one s, splash, ville, ville c2