Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more
Thread Closed

Technical Think Tank for Bricked G1's

OP d474rpr

7th June 2009, 01:48 PM   |  #151  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 165

1,094 posts
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Oops.... My mistake.
Last edited by BlackElvis79; 8th June 2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Off Topic
8th June 2009, 12:08 AM   |  #152  
Thanks Meter: 0

24 posts
Well, I thought wiping solved the issue.. but this afternoon, we were watching a vid on youtube, and the screen froze... my battery wasnt low, there werent lots of things going on... it just froze... Now when I reboot, I get stuck on either the first or second splash screen... just neva know...

and when i plug it in to charge, I get a RED LED light, instead of the Orange that I am used to... WTF??? so what does a RED light mean?

I really dont wanna wipe it again just to start over and have this trouble all over again tomorrow...
8th June 2009, 12:50 AM   |  #153  

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackElvis79

First off, when ever you start to modify your device, always remember to make a Nandroid backup, and copy it to your desktop!! (enter bootloader, Alt+b then save the Nandroid folder on your SD to your desktop.)

That way, whenever to start switching ROMs are what not, and something goes wrong, you'll always be able to revert your phone back to it's last working condition. Doing this will save you from lots of frustrating nights.

I also recommend making a new backup everytime you change ROMs and saving all of them for two reasons. First, you will have all your apps and what not alreay there and not have to go through the trouble of finding and setting them up all over again, and Two, if you're like me and like to switch ROMs alot, it's alot easier to just fastboot a ROM than doing it through the bootloader. And like I said, everything is already there where you left it instead of what goes on when you Alt+w.

When your phone lags, or loops or you think it's gonna brick...as long as it powers on, you're Golden. Just power off. and fastboot.

Making your device "almost" brickproof

First, start the bootloader home+power

Once in the bootloader, press alt+b and wait for it to make your backup. Then reboot.

Power on, mount the phone via USB and get the Nandroid folder of your SD and copy it to your Desktop

Create a new folder called Android and put it in the root of your C:\

Copy the following from Nandroid folder to Android folder:
data.img, system.img, boot.img

You're done.

Restoring your piece

Power on in fastboot (camera+power)
Plug in USB, but do not mount, just push the back key until it says fastboot
run CMD(Windows), or Gnome(Linux)
enter cd C:\Android *replace "C:\" with whatever drive you have your folder on
at C:\Android, enter:
fastboot flash system system.img after it says okay, enter
fastboot flash userdata data.img after it says okay, enter
fastboot flash boot boot.img after okay, enter
fastboot reboot

Then you WILL be back in the game!!

nice post and thanks for the info but if you've read this thread at all it's for the actually bricked phones which were made so by upgrading to haykuro's new SPL. bootloader, recovery mode, safe mode, nothing will boot this phone past the G1 loading screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorb1

Well, I thought wiping solved the issue.. but this afternoon, we were watching a vid on youtube, and the screen froze... my battery wasnt low, there werent lots of things going on... it just froze... Now when I reboot, I get stuck on either the first or second splash screen... just neva know...

and when i plug it in to charge, I get a RED LED light, instead of the Orange that I am used to... WTF??? so what does a RED light mean?

I really dont wanna wipe it again just to start over and have this trouble all over again tomorrow...

i'd kill to be in your place opposed to mine
8th June 2009, 03:18 AM   |  #154  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 165

1,094 posts
Donate to Me
More
Oops...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrancis306

nice post and thanks for the info but if you've read this thread at all it's for the actually bricked phones which were made so by upgrading to haykuro's new SPL. bootloader, recovery mode, safe mode, nothing will boot this phone past the G1 loading screen.

i'd kill to be in your place opposed to mine

Sorry about that.
8th June 2009, 03:28 AM   |  #155  

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackElvis79

Sorry about that.

no worries not your fault at all.
8th June 2009, 03:05 PM   |  #156  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 96

2,645 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmacdonal

I would bet the vast majority of bricked phones are windows only users. If its possible to do on Windows I would make that my priority if I was a dev. People that use Linux are generally tech savy enough to either also have a windows PC or be able to make it work through an emulator. Windows only people are generally lost when it comes to Linux. Just a little point to consider.

100% of windoze-only users should definitely NOT be disassembling their phone and soldering wires onto it.
9th June 2009, 04:42 AM   |  #157  
Flag DFW

62 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder

First off, connection points would be great.
Second, remember that this is a linux device, so producing a windoze-only repair program would be EVIL

Well, my resources and time are limited so the JTAG interface is being built in a Windoze environment. Sorry.

Secondly, I have the contact points but I am not 100% sure of them yet.
9th June 2009, 05:17 AM   |  #158  

19 posts
If you'd be willing to share the JTAG pinouts, I'd like to work on this as well. Thanks in advance.
9th June 2009, 05:36 AM   |  #159  
Flag DFW

62 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RueTheDay

A JTAG interface generally means taking the phone apart, locating the test points on the circuit board, and then soldering a bunch of wires to those testpoints. If you're squeamish about installing linux on a PC and running a Linux program, JTAG probably isn't for you.

Yeah, more or less if you don't work on electronic devices and have a strong understanding of what this could permanently do to your device, I'd suggest just selling the things or hiring someone to fix it for you.

If you feel adventuresome, check this out to learn how to take apart your G1.
http://mikechannon.net/PDF%20Manuals...SM%20(A04).pdf

*Thanks Mike for that tutorial and your site full of goodies.*

So here is the information I know thus far, so you guys and gals don't think I'm just dragging you along for the hell of it...

MSM7201A IC provides two seperate JTAG ports (primary and aux ports):
- The primary JTAG port is dedicated
- The aux JTAG port is available through configurable GPIO pins

We will need to jack into the aux JTAG port using the GPIO Pins.

These JTAG pins communicate with the ARM9/ARM11 cores, depending upon the mode setting.
- The JTAG mode is selected by setting hte MODE[3:0] pings.

*** At this point I'm missing some information. I need the following document: (80-V9038-13) for more information on using the JTAG interface with the G1.

Now, I am well aware that the chipset on the G1 is MSM7201A, however, I've done my research and I feel confident that the MSM7200A docs will suffice for this project.

Here are the Mode pins [3:0]
0000 Native, ARM9 on Primary JTAG, ARM11 on AUX JTAG
0001 TLMM_INT_JTAG_CTL register specifies the internal version of the MODE pin value for the Primary JTAG port:

TLMM_INT_JTAG_CTL settings:
0000: ARM9 only
0001: ARM9+ARM11 daisy-chained
0010: Reserved
0011: Reserved
1001: ARM9+ARM11+rtck daisy-chained

0010 Reserved
0011 Reserved
0100 Boundary scan mode
0101 to 1111 Reserved

The four mode pins are AA7, AB8, AD7 and AE7 (MSB and LSB)

**modes listed above have not been fully tested**

JTAG Pin Connections (I'll load a spreadsheet version of this to my site and link it later so it doesn't look like crap)

Signal Name Pin # I/O Voltage Description Comments
Primary Interface – dedicated pins
TRST_N AC5 I P3 reset
TCK AD6 I P3 clock input
TMS AD4 I P3 mode select
TDI AB5 I P3 data input
TDO AE6 Z P3 data output
RTCK AE5 O P3 return clock

Secondary Interface – configurable GPIO pins
AUX_TRST_N Y21 I P2 reset GPIO(102)
AUX_TCK AA24 I P2 clock input GPIO(103)
AUX_TMS Y24 I P2 mode select GPIO(98)
AUX_TDI W22 I P2 data input GPIO(99)
AUX_TDO W21 Z P2 data output GPIO(100)
AUX_RTCK Y22 O P2 return clock GPIO(101)

Mode Control Pins
MODE3 AA7 I P3 Determines operating mode of the IC.
MODE2 AB8 I P3
MODE1 AD7 I P3
MODE0 AE7 I P3

I'll also post the schematic of the example JTAG Connection from the adapter to the MSM7200A IC.

The biggest concern I have at this point is the software to push the raw SPL data. If someone can help with that I think we can get this done. Anyone??

Last edited by R3nrut; 9th June 2009 at 06:21 AM.
9th June 2009, 05:55 AM   |  #160  
Thanks Meter: 13

1,088 posts
Donate to Me
i don't know much about this stuff, but from the looks of the last post you guys are getting pretty close. i really hope this works out(and i really wish i had a bricked phone to try it on when done).

@@trmacdonal
not all linux users are tech savvy, i personally am just too cheap to pay $200 for a legal copy of windows, and most emulators don't recognize devices in weird states, like my windows virtual box won't let me use MTTY because it can't see the phone in diagnostic state.

@@R3nrut
wouldn't you have to extract the SPL from an update(i believe they are in .bin format) and just use that as the raw data or something else.

@@all
if you messed up your phone and the ONLY chance of fixing it was to take it apart and flash something to it while it is apart then well, it's your only option and maybe next time you'll be a little less willing to play with new toys, i'm not trying to be mean, just putting it out there that you messed up because you wanted to be among the first to try something new(which is part of the reason most of us joined this site).

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread