FORUMS

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (June 27 – July 4)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

HTC One M9 Developer Edition Android 5.1 OTA

The Developer Edition of the HTC One M9 is receiving an over-the-air update to Android 5.1. … more

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

Palm's WebOS-ROM

216 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
By Fraction, Senior Member on 11th June 2009, 10:35 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey, the ROM for the Palm Pre is out.

http://palm.com/ROM

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar (source)

If someone gets the ROM, wouldn't it be kinda cool trying to get it on the HTC devices?

Since I have no skills in programming or porting, I want to say that I'm interested in the thought. So who else is with me?


http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-comes-30.html
 
 
11th June 2009, 11:58 AM |#2  
ASK768's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Seems interesting. i cannot help but i would be interested in seeing this ported too. The only issue is that it is limited to devices with a keyboard as webOS does not have a software keyboard.
11th June 2009, 12:42 PM |#3  
Fraction's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
yes, but since they have "cracked" the OS, some have managed to build a "hello world" app. So touch keyboard are probably not that hard for the developers on xda :P
11th June 2009, 12:45 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction

yes, but since they have "cracked" the OS, some have managed to build a "hello world" app. So touch keyboard are probably not that hard for the developers on xda :P

i tried to boot it on my touch dual... placed all nessecary files in /lib put the files onto a microSD, changed the haret default.txt, and booted it... it worked fine, without GUI tho. it ran fsck, started alsa up and ended in runlevel 2 at a login prompt. kind of weird... might have got the wrong rootfs by mistake, im gonna check that.

edit: indeed it was at the beginning of the boot sequence ( i created the nessecary /dev nodes using mknod ) i keep getting an error from the lib ld.so, that libgoodabort cannot be loaded. it stops after that point....
Last edited by the_fish; 11th June 2009 at 01:20 PM.
11th June 2009, 02:17 PM |#5  
d3sm0nd's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
webOS seems to be a very nice fingerfriendly OS...
How much is actually the chance that webOS could be able to port to WM devices? Is webOS based on *nix like Android?
11th June 2009, 02:27 PM |#6  
shadowline's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
hmm, is webos going to be the new android for our devices? we may never know...
11th June 2009, 02:40 PM |#7  
d3sm0nd's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish

i tried to boot it on my touch dual... placed all nessecary files in /lib put the files onto a microSD, changed the haret default.txt, and booted it... it worked fine, without GUI tho. it ran fsck, started alsa up and ended in runlevel 2 at a login prompt. kind of weird... might have got the wrong rootfs by mistake, im gonna check that.

edit: indeed it was at the beginning of the boot sequence ( i created the nessecary /dev nodes using mknod ) i keep getting an error from the lib ld.so, that libgoodabort cannot be loaded. it stops after that point....

dude, how did you extract the content from the .jar? Extracted nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz from webOS.tar only?
EDIT: yes.. that's it, I'll try to run it like a virtual machine, but I don't think it will be easy!
Last edited by d3sm0nd; 11th June 2009 at 03:15 PM.
11th June 2009, 03:15 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sm0nd

dude, how did you extract the content from the .jar? Extracted nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz from webOS.tar only?

yep thats the files you need i guess. the other files are just bootloader stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowline

hmm, is webos going to be the new android for our devices? we may never know...

think so! although its not open source (but the kernel is), it shouldnt be too hard to get it to work.... maybe only on omap devices though...

and yep, its *nix... java based as well apparently
11th June 2009, 03:26 PM |#9  
ryudo423's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
i would loove to see webos come to our devices
11th June 2009, 04:47 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Since WM can already multitask, wouldnt it be easier for some developers here to make a Windows mobile version of Tealos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-adhk9BDnw
Make it a little more stable & with much better icons.

We wouldnt get the universal search that webos have or the notifications area at the bottom but we would still have multitasking plus everything else WM has that WebOs lacks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes