Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Palm's WebOS-ROM

Tip us?

Fraction
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Palm's WebOS-ROM

Hey, the ROM for the Palm Pre is out.

http://palm.com/ROM

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar (source)

If someone gets the ROM, wouldn't it be kinda cool trying to get it on the HTC devices?

Since I have no skills in programming or porting, I want to say that I'm interested in the thought. So who else is with me?

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-comes-30.html

ASK768
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Seems interesting. i cannot help but i would be interested in seeing this ported too. The only issue is that it is limited to devices with a keyboard as webOS does not have a software keyboard.

Fraction
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
yes, but since they have "cracked" the OS, some have managed to build a "hello world" app. So touch keyboard are probably not that hard for the developers on xda :P

the_fish
Old
(Last edited by the_fish; 11th June 2009 at 01:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction View Post
yes, but since they have "cracked" the OS, some have managed to build a "hello world" app. So touch keyboard are probably not that hard for the developers on xda :P
i tried to boot it on my touch dual... placed all nessecary files in /lib put the files onto a microSD, changed the haret default.txt, and booted it... it worked fine, without GUI tho. it ran fsck, started alsa up and ended in runlevel 2 at a login prompt. kind of weird... might have got the wrong rootfs by mistake, im gonna check that.

edit: indeed it was at the beginning of the boot sequence ( i created the nessecary /dev nodes using mknod ) i keep getting an error from the lib ld.so, that libgoodabort cannot be loaded. it stops after that point....
Touch Dual - 16 key version (mda touch plus) Android 2.2
Universal - VPA IV Radio 1.08.00, Cotullas Q3 ROM
Dream - Black
Haykuro's SPL, latest Radio, CM7
Galaxy Nexus
Android Revolution latest

d3sm0nd
Old
Thanks Meter 14
webOS seems to be a very nice fingerfriendly OS...
How much is actually the chance that webOS could be able to port to WM devices? Is webOS based on *nix like Android?

shadowline
Old
Thanks Meter 2
hmm, is webos going to be the new android for our devices? we may never know...

*Link disabled*

d3sm0nd
Old
(Last edited by d3sm0nd; 11th June 2009 at 03:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish View Post
i tried to boot it on my touch dual... placed all nessecary files in /lib put the files onto a microSD, changed the haret default.txt, and booted it... it worked fine, without GUI tho. it ran fsck, started alsa up and ended in runlevel 2 at a login prompt. kind of weird... might have got the wrong rootfs by mistake, im gonna check that.

edit: indeed it was at the beginning of the boot sequence ( i created the nessecary /dev nodes using mknod ) i keep getting an error from the lib ld.so, that libgoodabort cannot be loaded. it stops after that point....
dude, how did you extract the content from the .jar? Extracted nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz from webOS.tar only?
EDIT: yes.. that's it, I'll try to run it like a virtual machine, but I don't think it will be easy!

the_fish
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sm0nd View Post
dude, how did you extract the content from the .jar? Extracted nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz from webOS.tar only?
yep thats the files you need i guess. the other files are just bootloader stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowline View Post
hmm, is webos going to be the new android for our devices? we may never know...
think so! although its not open source (but the kernel is), it shouldnt be too hard to get it to work.... maybe only on omap devices though...

and yep, its *nix... java based as well apparently
Touch Dual - 16 key version (mda touch plus) Android 2.2
Universal - VPA IV Radio 1.08.00, Cotullas Q3 ROM
Dream - Black
Haykuro's SPL, latest Radio, CM7
Galaxy Nexus
Android Revolution latest

ryudo423
Old
Thanks Meter 17
i would loove to see webos come to our devices

charm1718
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Since WM can already multitask, wouldnt it be easier for some developers here to make a Windows mobile version of Tealos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-adhk9BDnw
Make it a little more stable & with much better icons.

We wouldnt get the universal search that webos have or the notifications area at the bottom but we would still have multitasking plus everything else WM has that WebOs lacks