XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Palm's WebOS-ROM

OP Fraction

11th June 2009, 11:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 5

216 posts
More
Hey, the ROM for the Palm Pre is out.

http://palm.com/ROM

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar (source)

If someone gets the ROM, wouldn't it be kinda cool trying to get it on the HTC devices?

Since I have no skills in programming or porting, I want to say that I'm interested in the thought. So who else is with me?

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-comes-30.html
11th June 2009, 12:58 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

515 posts
More
Seems interesting. i cannot help but i would be interested in seeing this ported too. The only issue is that it is limited to devices with a keyboard as webOS does not have a software keyboard.
11th June 2009, 01:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 5

216 posts
More
yes, but since they have "cracked" the OS, some have managed to build a "hello world" app. So touch keyboard are probably not that hard for the developers on xda :P
11th June 2009, 01:45 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

605 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction

yes, but since they have "cracked" the OS, some have managed to build a "hello world" app. So touch keyboard are probably not that hard for the developers on xda :P

i tried to boot it on my touch dual... placed all nessecary files in /lib put the files onto a microSD, changed the haret default.txt, and booted it... it worked fine, without GUI tho. it ran fsck, started alsa up and ended in runlevel 2 at a login prompt. kind of weird... might have got the wrong rootfs by mistake, im gonna check that.

edit: indeed it was at the beginning of the boot sequence ( i created the nessecary /dev nodes using mknod ) i keep getting an error from the lib ld.so, that libgoodabort cannot be loaded. it stops after that point....
Last edited by the_fish; 11th June 2009 at 02:20 PM.
11th June 2009, 03:17 PM   |  #5  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 14

549 posts
More
webOS seems to be a very nice fingerfriendly OS...
How much is actually the chance that webOS could be able to port to WM devices? Is webOS based on *nix like Android?
11th June 2009, 03:27 PM   |  #6  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 2

1,408 posts
More
hmm, is webos going to be the new android for our devices? we may never know...
11th June 2009, 03:40 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 14

549 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish

i tried to boot it on my touch dual... placed all nessecary files in /lib put the files onto a microSD, changed the haret default.txt, and booted it... it worked fine, without GUI tho. it ran fsck, started alsa up and ended in runlevel 2 at a login prompt. kind of weird... might have got the wrong rootfs by mistake, im gonna check that.

edit: indeed it was at the beginning of the boot sequence ( i created the nessecary /dev nodes using mknod ) i keep getting an error from the lib ld.so, that libgoodabort cannot be loaded. it stops after that point....

dude, how did you extract the content from the .jar? Extracted nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz from webOS.tar only?
EDIT: yes.. that's it, I'll try to run it like a virtual machine, but I don't think it will be easy!
Last edited by d3sm0nd; 11th June 2009 at 04:15 PM.
11th June 2009, 04:15 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

605 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sm0nd

dude, how did you extract the content from the .jar? Extracted nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz from webOS.tar only?

yep thats the files you need i guess. the other files are just bootloader stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowline

hmm, is webos going to be the new android for our devices? we may never know...

think so! although its not open source (but the kernel is), it shouldnt be too hard to get it to work.... maybe only on omap devices though...

and yep, its *nix... java based as well apparently
11th June 2009, 04:26 PM   |  #9  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 17

240 posts
i would loove to see webos come to our devices
11th June 2009, 05:47 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

104 posts
More
Since WM can already multitask, wouldnt it be easier for some developers here to make a Windows mobile version of Tealos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-adhk9BDnw
Make it a little more stable & with much better icons.

We wouldnt get the universal search that webos have or the notifications area at the bottom but we would still have multitasking plus everything else WM has that WebOs lacks

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread