WinMo on Magic ?

Search This thread

colonel

Dec 15, 2005
london
sorry if this will upset some Android devotees, but does any one know if there are there any roms or projects to put WinMo that run on the magic.
I love the hardware, and it would be great to be able to run some of my WinMo programs and sync. with Outlook on it.

rgds

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
i used to use WM. why you would ever WANT to put that dog on a phone amazes me. so slow. M$ needed to get off their butts about 5 yrs ago!

Fatal1ty2787

May 19, 2009
sorry if this will upset some Android devotees, but does any one know if there are there any roms or projects to put WinMo that run on the magic.
I love the hardware, and it would be great to be able to run some of my WinMo programs and sync. with Outlook on it.

rgds

Actually I don't think that WinMo supports Capacitive touchscreens! correct me if I'm wrong...

xray84

Feb 24, 2008
There are a plenty of reasons for windows mobile and against android. But I think there are 2 or 3 major problems with porting it to the magic.

First, I think getting the drivers for the touchscreen is almost impossible
Second, wimo does not support the magic resolution of 480*320
Third, Finding someone who is able to create a wimo rom from scratch and making a stable Version for an unsupported device

Android is ok, but it still feels like a big public beta software test ;)

MPerki

Aug 14, 2006
Just to add my tuppence worth......

I've been using WM for 4 years through Wizard to Touch+ to Diamond and to be honest I was sick of it. I have flash roms, designed dialler screens and spent alot of time with Pointui.
IMHO Android is very good and must run a close second to IPhone. The slick UI is what we have all been waiting for with WM and it has never happened.

I was considering a Touch HD/ IPhone / HTC Magic. In the end the integration with google and the good interface made me plump with the Magic and I am very very very happy.

I am a business user and leisure user and it really is a breath of fresh air to have a phone that actually works.....

colonel

Dec 15, 2005
london
There are a plenty of reasons for windows mobile and against android. But I think there are 2 or 3 major problems with porting it to the magic.

First, I think getting the drivers for the touchscreen is almost impossible
Second, wimo does not support the magic resolution of 480*320
Third, Finding someone who is able to create a wimo rom from scratch and making a stable Version for an unsupported device

Android is ok, but it still feels like a big public beta software test ;)

thanks for the considered response
I was not really asking for "which is better", just the straight question about whether there is a project. It seems not.
I didn't realise the magic has a capacitive screen. thats going to be fun, my magic is coming today or tomorrow.
I have a diamond 2 as well, so i will be able to compare, hopefully 6.5 soon to android.

I don't think the screen resolution is any problem, but your third point is valid.

Google really need to get outlook sync. out of the bat. Apparently androids sold in asia have exchange sync already as they are "not google branded". hopefully google will pull its finger out soon!

bunny0007

Jun 14, 2006
Randers
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yep but also smartphones have moved away from the old pda type as we know as palm and other devics.
Since most devices now are phones or in other ways seem to connect wireless, the defintion of pda moved to be static sync devices where you need to ged hold on you sync station, to now being making sync ota.

I will never being missing the cable sync.