Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

A few questions about flashing roms

OP smackey

26th March 2013, 01:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
I just bought a DNA and it currently has viper rom 1.2.0 on it. It is rooted, but is s-on, I really don't know if it has CWM or even how to tell? I am using straight talk on it and cant seem to get MMS to work, but it looks like Virtuous rom works with straight talk MMS. I am really not sure where I need to pick up on one of these guides just to flash a rom. Is that all I need to do to get it switched over? Sorry if these questions are easy/noob I really would rather just not brick this phone =)
Last edited by smackey; 26th March 2013 at 01:25 AM.
26th March 2013, 01:31 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 252

1,279 posts
More
Look in the general section and the original development sections for guides and pretty much any phone forum for guides. They will do a better job of explaining than me. You cant have a custom kernel on viper 1.2 and it for sure either has CWM or TWRP.
26th March 2013, 02:18 AM   |  #3  
Flag rochester
Thanks Meter: 291

948 posts
More
If you are s on, you have to download the zip of the Rom or kernel you want. Next, download flash gui on the market. Select the Rom or zip and it will flash the boot image. On a kernel, extract the modules and flash in recovery. For Roms, flash the zip after you flash the boot.img. try all that out, then look in the original development section for rooting and s-off. Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Download the "tweakker" app from the market as well. It solves many mms issues across roms.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Also, to fix the mms issue, download the "tweakker" app from the market. Follow instructions to get mms working again
26th March 2013, 03:40 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushmacdaddy

If you are s on, you have to download the zip of the Rom or kernel you want. Next, download flash gui on the market. Select the Rom or zip and it will flash the boot image. On a kernel, extract the modules and flash in recovery. For Roms, flash the zip after you flash the boot.img. try all that out, then look in the original development section for rooting and s-off. Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Download the "tweakker" app from the market as well. It solves many mms issues across roms.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Also, to fix the mms issue, download the "tweakker" app from the market. Follow instructions to get mms working again

Alright, I have a few additional questions then I guess, I have the Virtuous rom downloading, as well as the flash gui app. You say flash the zip after i flash the boot.img. I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say that? Do I need to download an additional file or will the boot.img file show up in fastboot after I flash it with the gui app? Am I correct in that I should just be able to flash the virtuous rom without needing to flash a kernel also?
26th March 2013, 04:51 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 252

1,279 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackey

Alright, I have a few additional questions then I guess, I have the Virtuous rom downloading, as well as the flash gui app. You say flash the zip after i flash the boot.img. I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say that? Do I need to download an additional file or will the boot.img file show up in fastboot after I flash it with the gui app? Am I correct in that I should just be able to flash the virtuous rom without needing to flash a kernel also?

It probably comes with a stock kernel and you can flash your own if its NOT based on 2.04.
26th March 2013, 05:11 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123421342

It probably comes with a stock kernel and you can flash your own if its NOT based on 2.04.

It is NOT 2.04, I made very sure of that when buying it after I bought the first one that was =x, luckily I got a killer deal on each of these so I'll make money reselling the 2.04 one.
26th March 2013, 06:05 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 531

2,373 posts
Re: A few questions about flashing roms
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackey

It is NOT 2.04, I made very sure of that when buying it after I bought the first one that was =x, luckily I got a killer deal on each of these so I'll make money reselling the 2.04 one.

He was talking about the rom, not your phone. If the rom us based off 2.04, such as viper, you can't flash a custom kernel.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
26th March 2013, 07:17 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigandrewgold

He was talking about the rom, not your phone. If the rom us based off 2.04, such as viper, you can't flash a custom kernel.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Ah, it wasn't 2.04, I got it flashed to Virtuous but now it's not letting me set APN, I've found fixes for the T-Mobile straight talk using market enabler but nothing for the ATT side of straight talk =(

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread