[WIP/DEV] [April 14th] 3.0 Kernel and CM10.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0

Search This thread

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
This will be our development thread so we will no longer clog up Mevordel's CM10 thread.

There's still the partitioning issue I need to figure out for everybody else's Players fixed 3/27
The camera still doesn't work fixed FFC 100%, rear still does not work
Audio won't play out headphones even though they're plugged in fixed 3/28
No bluetooth fixed 4/9
Plugging the device into a charger ALWAYS assumes it's plugged into a USB even if plugged into an AC outlet fixed 4/9
GPS might not acquire a lock, but I believe I found a solution fixed 4/2

Before installing, backup your current setup!

Here's my CM10.1 alpha with my 3.0 kernel that I've been working for the past month or so:

If coming from any ROM OTHER THAN CM10.1:

I just installed the linked CM10.1 build coming from CM10, Paranoid, and Entropy's clockwork recovery from a year ago and had no issues; so hopefully you guys will too. Do me a favor and prior to installing wipe /system, /data, /dbdata (or /datadata or something), and /cache; THEN install. Don't wipe after or else you might wipe the /system_app directory that we're using to install the /system/app on a different partition because our /system isn't large enough.

If coming from a previous version of CM10.1

My zips wipe your /system and /system_app directory (which is the /system/app partition symlinked). That means that you will have to reinstall the Gapps package at the end of every zip! Also, go to the advanced menu in clockwork and wipe your dalvik-cache

In order to boot into recovery after installing this ROM, you must enable development settings by pressing on the build number in the Settings app 7 times; then go into development settings and enable "Advanced reboot." Then reboot your device by holding power and selecting recovery.

The standard CM10.1 Gapps package from http://goo.im/gapps/ will work and fit on our devices

4/14 (Third build: fixed Bluetooth, fixed AC charging, fixed touchscreen scrolling/zooming being weird, rebooting into recovery with Volume up + power now works!, kernel version from 3.0.72 to 3.0.73, CM10.1 source synced 4/14 3:20PM EST, Still no rear camera)
April 14th
md5sum: 041296ca25b4b33c97f83aed543aee13 cm-10.1-20130414-UNOFFICIAL-venturi_usa.zip (it's signed as well)
Remember to install Gapps after you install the ROM!

If you have a non-US Galaxy Player 5, install the correct boot.img after you install the ROM:
International device: http://www.mediafire.com/?pu0p12s7g9coo4q
# Korean device: Try using the international kernel above since the camera does not work, anyways

4/7 (Second build: fixed GPS lock, FFC, .android_secure is on the external sdcard, kernel version from 3.0.70 to 3.0.72, CM10.1 source synced 4/7 1:00PM EST)
Since the .android_secure folder was on the internal sdcard in the first zip, it will be correctly-placed on the external sdcard in this one. Because of this, you should move your apps that are currently on the sdcard back to the phone or else you will lose them when you install this new zip. After it's installed, you can move them back to the sdcard.
April 7th
md5sum: 02b7949c9f88f472260af802c18a4065 cm-10.1-20130407-UNOFFICIAL-venturi_usa.zip (it's signed as well)

4/2 (Alpha build: first .zip, no GPS lock, camera, bluetooth, .android_secure is on internal sdcard)
April 2nd
md5sum: 0f781b90fb4232c24dadce602dd26fd5 cm-10.1-20130402-UNOFFICIAL-venturi_usa.zip (it's signed as well)

Hope you guys enjoy CM10.1 with the 3.0 kernel

Last edited:

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Re: [WIP/DEV]3.0 Kernel and CM10.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0

This ROM was built from vibrantmtd and aries-common sources from the CyanogenMod team. The three source trees used (device, vendor, and kernel) provided a fantastic
base for modifying them to run on the Galaxy Player 5.0 USA (venturi_usa). Most files were merely modified to accommodate for the differences between the Aries devices' hardware and that of the Galaxy Player 5

Device source: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/android_device_samsung_venturi_usa
Vendor source: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/android_vendor_samsung_venturi_usa
Kernel source: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/android_kernel_samsung_venturi galaxyplayer5_defconfig

Pro tip:

If you are making kernel modifications, instead of building the entire ROM just to see your kernel modifications, try typing:

. build/envsetup.sh
lunch cm_venturi_usa-userdebug
mka installclean
mka bootimage

This will generate your boot.img (should be around 5.6MB)

Last edited:

deviousmrtaco

Also, can anybody comment on if headphones worked on the CM10 ROM or did it continue to play out the back speaker even though they were plugged in?

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app

When I plug a 4 part plug headphone in (like those with mics) the headphones worked normaly with sound only coming out of the headphones, however with a less than 4 part plug no sound came out the speakers or the headphones.

Last edited:

suyash1

May 21, 2010
Also, can anybody comment on if headphones worked on the CM10 ROM or did it continue to play out the back speaker even though they were plugged in?

I had the default headphones that came with my player, and sound came from the headphones and not the speaker

Mmmm-)

Mar 20, 2012
This will be our development thread so we will no longer clog up Mevordel's CM10 thread.

There's still the partitioning issue I need to figure out for everybody else's Players
The camera still doesn't work
Audio won't play out headphones even though they're plugged in
No bluetooth

Once I figure out a way to fix the partition mapping I will upload a test build

Now I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but you mentioned that you removed an unneeded partition to free up more space for gapps etc, but this basically mucked up the naming of the partitions right? What if, instead of deleting the partition, you just made it very very small? Then you'd free up space and there'd be no renaming problem!

Would that help?

I apologise if I'm talking complete rubbish. :)

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York

Now I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but you mentioned that you removed an unneeded partition to free up more space for gapps etc, but this basically mucked up the naming of the partitions right? What if, instead of deleting the partition, you just made it very very small? Then you'd free up space and there'd be no renaming problem!

Would that help?

I apologise if I'm talking complete rubbish. :)

Yep I think that's exactly what we're going to do. I don't know how to implement this however because people's partition maps vary depending on the device

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Yep I think that's exactly what we're going to do. I don't know how to implement this however because people's partition maps vary depending on the device

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Is there anyway to change the partitions during the ROM install? Then you could also include a zip to revert them back to stock I case anybody needs it.

I'd love to help with the development but my computer is sitting with no graphics card at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York

I did it in recovery with adb using the fdisk command. The thing is that you need to manually do it because it requires keyboard input to enter the values for which block you're partitioning up to. Even if I could use a script, it's risky because not everybody's partitions land on the same block because our devices are weird and finicky

Last edited:
Reactions: OguzhanVarsak

I did it in recovery with adb using the fdisk command. The thing is that you need to manually do it because it requires keyboard input to enter the values for which block you're partitioning up to. Even if I could use a script, it's risky because not everybody's partitions land on the same block because our devices are weird and finicky

Maybe a way to calculate the blocks needed? My graphics card should be in sometime this week then I can take a look. Unless you find a solution before then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mevordel

Apr 24, 2012

Also don't forget that p12 is also 8 MiB of completely unused space. Unless of course it gets overwritten by Odin when you flash a kernel. But to me it seems that there's got to be a better way involving deleting unnecessary files out of the firmware or GApps, instead of breaking CWM.

If worst comes to worst, there is also the option of mounting p14 inside /system, like at /system/media for example. That way, you can still use CWM6 (existing and new) normally, and if you accidentally wipe data (instead of "format /data") in CWM5, all you lose is UI sounds and stock ringtones - nothing that will keep you from booting. Plus it only requires minor changes to updater-script and init.venturi.rc, and nothing permanent on the device. (If /system/media doesn't fit the right size, you could use /system/tts or /system/usr/srec - anything non-critical.)

And for a script, you can always do fdisk -l, calculate, and pipe to fdisk. I would make an example, but I prefer my less-invasive ideas. :)

Last edited:
A

arceusg

I notice earpiece isn't in the bug list. Is it fixed in CM10.1?

halomademeapc

Dec 6, 2010
Indianapolis
www.halomademeapc.com

You can save almost 30MB just by converting the keyboard to a user app.

Exactly how much more space than the CM10 build do we need?

A

arceusg

Just make a Skype call and set the output to earpiece. In CM10, it just played through the upper back speaker. I assume 10.1 will do the same, as it's the same audio HAL and that is what has been causing the problems.

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
I think what I'm gonna do is have the actual /system/app directory installed on the /dbdata partition which should be enough for the entire stock ROM + gapps that normally are stored on /system/app. So after the partitions are mounted as directed by the init.venturi.rc, I will symlink /dbdata/app with /system/app so Android will be spoofed into thinking everything is 100% normal

Edit: Now I don't think that will work since symlinks are destroyed once the filesystem is mounted in recovery

Last edited:
A

arceusg

Couldn't you make an init.d script or a CWM package to reinstate the symlinks? Correct me if I'm wrong, I actually have no idea what I'm talking about XD

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
The issue here is that in recovery, we want the installation of the ROM to install to /system, but I want the /system/app directory to be on a different partition as the actual /system, but if I symlink /system/app to another partition, then mount the /system partition, then that /system/app symlink gets destroyed on mount, and installing the ROM will install the entire thing to the /system partition, which is not large enough for the ROM + Gapps.

If I get everything working 100% I'd like to submit the device for official CyanogenMod nightlies, but I don't think they will take it if so many hacks have to be done like cutting down on the things installed to the /system or using a non-standard Gapps package. I think the best course of action will be to re-partition the device and make /dbdata as small as possible, so we will still have 17 mmcblk partitions and won't upset any recoveries which may lead to data loss like I did to my device before.

I also might bump up the RAM allocation for MFC0 and MFC1 to stock values, which will make the RAM available for userspace apps a bit less than 412 MB free (more like 390-something)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There's still the partitioning issue I need to figure out for everybody else's Players fixed 3/27
    The camera still doesn't work fixed FFC 100%, rear still does not work
    Audio won't play out headphones even though they're plugged in fixed 3/28
    No bluetooth fixed 4/9
    Plugging the device into a charger ALWAYS assumes it's plugged into a USB even if plugged into an AC outlet fixed 4/9
    GPS might not acquire a lock, but I believe I found a solution fixed 4/2

Before installing, backup your current setup!

Here's my CM10.1 alpha with my 3.0 kernel that I've been working for the past month or so:

If coming from any ROM OTHER THAN CM10.1:

I just installed the linked CM10.1 build coming from CM10, Paranoid, and Entropy's clockwork recovery from a year ago and had no issues; so hopefully you guys will too. Do me a favor and prior to installing wipe /system, /data, /dbdata (or /datadata or something), and /cache; THEN install. Don't wipe after or else you might wipe the /system_app directory that we're using to install the /system/app on a different partition because our /system isn't large enough.

If coming from a previous version of CM10.1

My zips wipe your /system and /system_app directory (which is the /system/app partition symlinked). That means that you will have to reinstall the Gapps package at the end of every zip! Also, go to the advanced menu in clockwork and wipe your dalvik-cache

In order to boot into recovery after installing this ROM, you must enable development settings by pressing on the build number in the Settings app 7 times; then go into development settings and enable "Advanced reboot." Then reboot your device by holding power and selecting recovery.

The standard CM10.1 Gapps package from http://goo.im/gapps/ will work and fit on our devices

4/14 (Third build: fixed Bluetooth, fixed AC charging, fixed touchscreen scrolling/zooming being weird, rebooting into recovery with Volume up + power now works!, kernel version from 3.0.72 to 3.0.73, CM10.1 source synced 4/14 3:20PM EST, Still no rear camera)
    April 14th
    md5sum: 041296ca25b4b33c97f83aed543aee13 cm-10.1-20130414-UNOFFICIAL-venturi_usa.zip (it's signed as well)
    Remember to install Gapps after you install the ROM!

If you have a non-US Galaxy Player 5, install the correct boot.img after you install the ROM:
    International device: http://www.mediafire.com/?pu0p12s7g9coo4q
    # Korean device: Try using the international kernel above since the camera does not work, anyways

4/7 (Second build: fixed GPS lock, FFC, .android_secure is on the external sdcard, kernel version from 3.0.70 to 3.0.72, CM10.1 source synced 4/7 1:00PM EST)
    Since the .android_secure folder was on the internal sdcard in the first zip, it will be correctly-placed on the external sdcard in this one. Because of this, you should move your apps that are currently on the sdcard back to the phone or else you will lose them when you install this new zip. After it's installed, you can move them back to the sdcard.
    April 7th
    md5sum: 02b7949c9f88f472260af802c18a4065 cm-10.1-20130407-UNOFFICIAL-venturi_usa.zip (it's signed as well)

4/2 (Alpha build: first .zip, no GPS lock, camera, bluetooth, .android_secure is on internal sdcard)
    April 2nd
    md5sum: 0f781b90fb4232c24dadce602dd26fd5 cm-10.1-20130402-UNOFFICIAL-venturi_usa.zip (it's signed as well)

Hope you guys enjoy CM10.1 with the 3.0 kernel
    Getting close! Just fixed audio playback out of the headphones. Now not only do the stock headphones that came with the device work, but also non-standard headphones (like iPod ones)

(Not sure if that both worked with CM10)

Hopefully I can get the earpiece working as well :)

Also, I've got the installation stuff working too, no repartitioning necessary; and we can use the standard Gapps package

Edit: So probably this weekend I'll upload a good .zip

Edit2: Also, fixed the dual-audio output out of both rear speakers. Gonna test the earpiece in a few.

Edit3: Earpiece works!
    New build up, check the OP!

Remember to flash gapps after you install!
    I don't have a player right now, so I can't test for myself. Are the green artifacts still there during HW accelerated playback of video?

From what I hear in this thread, it's gone. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39869744&highlight=green#post39869744

Also, fixed BT! BIG thank you to bbelos!

This ROM was built from vibrantmtd and aries-common sources from the CyanogenMod team. The three source trees used (device, vendor, and kernel) provided a fantastic
    base for modifying them to run on the Galaxy Player 5.0 USA (venturi_usa). Most files were merely modified to accommodate for the differences between the Aries devices' hardware and that of the Galaxy Player 5

Device source: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/android_device_samsung_venturi_usa
    Vendor source: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/android_vendor_samsung_venturi_usa
    Kernel source: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/android_kernel_samsung_venturi galaxyplayer5_defconfig

Pro tip:

If you are making kernel modifications, instead of building the entire ROM just to see your kernel modifications, try typing:

. build/envsetup.sh
    lunch cm_venturi_usa-userdebug
    mka installclean
    mka bootimage

This will generate your boot.img (should be around 5.6MB)