Confirmed!! T-Mobile Concord (V768) ROOT and BOOT-LOOP fix!!

Search This thread

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
Southwest corner, Missouri
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING NEGATIVE THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE!!

ALSO WORKS FOR T-MOBILE DART!!

Never Hurts to Thank or GIFT to all that help you!

NO PC NEEDED!!!!!!!!:highfive:

Necessary downloads from the Play Store

SuperUser or SuperSU -- One will work, the other won't -- [/COLOR][/SIZE] --A MUST HAVE for any rooted phone! Superuser/SuperSU is the app that manages what apps on your rooted device have access to su. Apps that are granted su have elevated permissions and can modify just about any part of the system. The app consists of two parts, Superuser.apk and the su binary.

Superuser.apk runs as any other app and gives you, the user, a place to see what apps you have allowed or denied, as well as view a log of what apps have used su when.

Link2SD-- DO NOT USE until rooted.--Link2SD is an application that makes it easy for Android 1.6+ users with root privileges on their phone to move applications to the SD card.

The idea behind is same with apps2sd scripts, linking applications to SD card's second partition but differs in two ways.

One, instead of linking /data/app folder (that means moving all applications), you can select applications that you want to move.
Two, it's an application which means has a user interface. You can manage your applications with few clicks.

It also provides native apps2sd features on Android 2.2 and higher. It can move any non-protected user apps to SD card (force move), with batch moving capability.
That feature uses Android's standard SD-card installation feature and does not require a second partition. It can break some apps if they are not meant to be moved to the SD card (Such as Widgets).

BusyBox--DO NOT USE until rooted. --A MUST HAVE for any rooted phone! Almost EVERY rooted applications needs BusyBox to perform their magic, if you have a rooted phone then you NEED BusyBox.

Pro version contains Backup feature (for safer installs), uninstall feature, Advance Smart install feature, the ability to hand pick the applets you want, safety check for missing applets on start, and better overall support. The pro version will receive more frequent updates than the free version will.

Root Checker (optional)--Checks for ROOT -- Use AFTER Installing a Superuser app.

BOOT-LOOP FIX

1.) Power off the phone by removing the battery.

2.) Replace battery.

3.) Boot into recovery by holding Volume DOWN and power button until the android with the triangle appears. This will appear AFTER the android that is by himself!! (about 30 seconds)

4.) Press the home button

5.) Navigate to the 3rd choice - " wipe data/factory reset". Select by pressing the menu button

6.) Navigate to YES and select by pressing the menu button.

7.) When the wipe is complete, navigate to and select - "reboot system", again with the menu button.

ROOTING

2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B08 = NO FACTORY RESET NEEDED???Maybe

2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B19 = FACTORY RESET NEEDED???Maybe.

2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B20 = FACTORY RESET NEEDED

1.)Using your PHONE or computer - Download attached update.zip file.

2.) copy/move update.zip to root of sdcard

3.) Power off the phone

4.) reboot into recovery by holding Volume DOWN and power button until the android with the triangle appears . This will appear AFTER the android that is by himself!!(about 30 seconds)

If for some reason, you CANNOT boot into recovery try to FACTORY RESET.

5.) At this screen, Press the HOME button.

6.) scroll to your second option, navigating with the volume buttons - "Apply update from sdcard" and press the Menu key

7.) select UPDATE.ZIP to install

8.) Navigate to YES, if asked, and press the menu key.

9.) Navigate to - "reboot system now" and select by pressing the menu key.

10.) Install SuperUser. I installed SuperUser and Root Checker before installing the update.

11.) Install Busybox - Using the SMART INSTALL feature. Get it from the play store.

12.) Follow this guide - if you are going to partition an SD Card - It will show you how to partition the SD Card and install Link2SD :

Partition you SD Card To Acquire more "Internal Memory"

Congratulations!! You are now ROOTED and have more "Internal Memory"!!

Special THANKS to JCASE for his CREATION of the ZTE MERIT UPDATE.ZIP

Attachments

• update.zip
    220.2 KB · Views: 22,898
Last edited:

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
I did the boot-loop process and then the root process. I had no errors and was rooted on the first try. You should not need to factory reset. This is only the boot- loop fix and root. No new recovery or roms.

brut7

Mar 26, 2013
Hi fathertomany,

Thank You, it worked, root granted and superuser installed.
Wow, I may be only the second person in the world after you to get one rooted :)

So to confirm and Thank, Yes, this rooted it easy and quick, can't believe it but awesome!

Thanks!

b7

Last edited:

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
Wow 230 views and only 1 other person telling me it worked for them? I would like to keep up with this and maybe figure out some way to get roms and such, like twrp, themes, etc... But I need to know if there are any bugs or not by following these instructions. I am not a DEV but am willing to try to accomplish things people want. Currently trying to get twrp ported by someone for this phone. Whoever is willing to work on the port should pm me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeunivers

bkool96

Apr 5, 2013
Hey I'm new to posting but I've been on android for a few years. I'm having troubles with booting into recovery mode. Whenever I try it shows some yellow text at the bottom. Something about the data directory. Think u can help me fix this please? Thank u :)

[Edit] My phone has been doing that since way before I downloaded the zip file. So just to clarify it has nothing to do with the file

Sent from my ZTE V768 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
need help booting into recovery

Never Hurts to Thank or Donate to all that help you!

I have boldly went where no one has gone before. After much soul searching about bricking my son's phone because I have only followed guides, I decided that this phone was so similar to the AVAIL/MERIT that I would use that method to root his Concord. I did this because his phone ran out of memory and subsequently got stuck on boot-loop. Because this worked, I wrote this tutorial.

NO PC NEEDED!!!!!!!!

This quick tutorial will help you get into recovery and root.
What files are needed are not my work! I only decided to use the ZTE MERIT GUIDE AND ZIP for my son's T-mobile Concord(V768).

To get out of the BOOT-LOOP

2.) Replace battery.

3.) Boot into recovery by holding Volume- and power button until the android with the triangle appears. this will appear AFTER the android that is by himself!!

5.) Navigate to the 3rd choice - " wipe data/factory reset"

6.) Select by pressing the menu button

7.) When the wipe is complete, navigate to and select - "reboot system"

To Root

1.) Download attached update.zip file

3.) Power off the phone

4.) reboot into recovery by holding Volume- and power button until the android with the triangle appears.

6.) scroll to your second option, navigating with the volume buttons - "Apply update from sdcard" and press the Menu key

7.) Navigate to YES and press the menu key (no data will be wiped but the update will be installed and you will be rooted)

8.) Navigate to - "reboot system now" and select by pressing the menu key.

9.) Install superuser or equivalent. I installed Superuser and root checker before installing the update.

If for some reason, you get an error, try to factory reset first.

Congratulations!!! You are now Rooted!!

Special THANKS to JCASE for his work on the ZTE MERIT UPDATE.ZIP mentioned above. The UPDATE.ZIP file was downloaded from Stayboogy's tutorial.

What carrier and version and build number are you on? You can find that under settings--> about phone. My carrier is Family Mobile (which runs on T-Mobile) and I'm running Android 2.3.7 and Build number V768V1.0.0B20.

I am having trouble getting the Concord to boot into recovery. I can't seem to get to a screen with a triangle. Can you walk through the steps to get it into recovery again or possibly post a video?

The video stayboogy supplied in the link you posted for the Avail/Merit said to put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up key and the menu key while pressing the power button. When I do that the concord freezes at the green android logo and does not go into recovery mode and does not boot normally. I have to pull the battery. Same thing if I hold both of the volume buttons and the menu key.

If I hold the volume down and the menu key (or just the volume down key or just the menu key) and turn on the power button I get the green android startup screen followed by a screen with a white box and an orange arrow coming out of the box pointing to a small green android. When I get to this screen pressing home or the volume up or down buttons just cause it to reboot.

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
Hey I'm new to posting but I've been on android for a few years. I'm having troubles with booting into recovery mode. Whenever I try it shows some yellow text at the bottom. Something about the data directory. Think u can help me fix this please? Thank u :)

I personally have not noticed this. make sure your phone is off. make sure you press the volume down button first. while still holding the volume down button press and hold the power button. DO NOT let go of either button until the android with the triangle appears. you will see the android by himself first, CONTINUE HOLDING THE BUTTONS FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS. When the android with the triangle appears, you can let go of both buttons. Then press your home button. this should bring up your recovery menu.
USE THE VOLUME BUTTONS TO NAVIGATE UP AND DOWN.
USE THE MENU BUTTON TO SELECT YOUR CHOICES. I
BELIEVE, THE POWER BUTTON ACTS AS THE BACK BUTTON? (MAYBE JUST USE THE BACK BUTTON.) I will check this when my son gets home from school. he is the one with the phone.

remember there is NO factory wipe necessary, unless you are trying to get out of the boot-loop.

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
What carrier and version and build number are you on? You can find that under settings--> about phone. My carrier is Family Mobile (which runs on T-Mobile) and I'm running Android 2.3.7 and Build number V768V1.0.0B20.

I am having trouble getting the Concord to boot into recovery. I can't seem to get to a screen with a triangle. Can you walk through the steps to get it into recovery again or possibly post a video?

The video stayboogy supplied in the link you posted for the Avail/Merit said to put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up key and the menu key while pressing the power button. When I do that the concord freezes at the green android logo and does not go into recovery mode and does not boot normally. I have to pull the battery. Same thing if I hold both of the volume buttons and the menu key.

If I hold the volume down and the menu key (or just the volume down key or just the menu key) and turn on the power button I get the green android startup screen followed by a screen with a white box and an orange arrow coming out of the box pointing to a small green android. When I get to this screen pressing home or the volume up or down buttons just cause it to reboot.
You can find most of that in the title "Confirmed!! T-Mobile Concord (V768) ROOT and BOOT-LOOP fix!!"
My Android BUILD will be posted when my son gets home. he has the phone. It should be the same. I am using the same carrier with the same version of android. Android 2.3.7
I am also on the family mobile plan.

Last edited:

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
I personally have not noticed this. make sure your phone is off. make sure you press the volume down button first. while still holding the volume down button press and hold the power button. DO NOT let go of either button until the android with the triangle appears. you will see the android by himself first, CONTINUE HOLDING THE BUTTONS FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS. When the android with the triangle appears, you can let go of both buttons. Then press your home button. this should bring up your recovery menu.
USE THE VOLUME BUTTONS TO NAVIGATE UP AND DOWN.
USE THE MENU BUTTON TO SELECT YOUR CHOICES. I
BELIEVE, THE POWER BUTTON ACTS AS THE BACK BUTTON? (MAYBE JUST USE THE BACK BUTTON.) I will check this when my son gets home from school. he is the one with the phone.

remember there is NO factory wipe necessary, unless you are trying to get out of the boot-loop.

I tried again with no luck. In the Root ZTE Concord thread a few of us tried and were never able to get into recovery mode.

I just tried the steps you listed but I get the same screen with the white box and arrow and if I continue to hold the power and volume down button it causes the phone to reboot. If I keep holding down the power and volume down even after it reboots it just repeats, green android screen, white box screen, reboot, green android screen, white box, reboot, etc. I can record a video of the screen later today if you are interested.

Did you ever install an over the air update? I did months ago and I wonder if that update changes or removes how to get into recovery mode.

bkool96

Apr 5, 2013
I have T-Mobile android 2.3.7 build number V768V1.0.0B19

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
I tried again with no luck. In the Root ZTE Concord thread a few of us tried and were never able to get into recovery mode.

I just tried the steps you listed but I get the same screen with the white box and arrow and if I continue to hold the power and volume down button it causes the phone to reboot. If I keep holding down the power and volume down even after it reboots it just repeats, green android screen, white box screen, reboot, green android screen, white box, reboot, etc. I can record a video of the screen later today if you are interested.

Did you ever install an over the air update? I did months ago and I wonder if that update changes or removes how to get into recovery mode.
I will attempt to find this screen later when my son gets home. 3:30pm central.I have only owned the phone for about 1 1/2 months. I do not believe that I have received any update OTA or any other way. my son downloads a lot of CRAP. He eventually got stuck in the pink logo boot-loop. I proceeded to do the boot-loop fix that I listed and after the factory reset to get out of it, I confirmed that it booted normally, turned the phone off and went back into recovery.

One thing I did notice about this phone is the power button. It is "weird". I am one of those that mash the buttons EXTRA hard to insure that they are being pressed. I make sure that I use both hands, one finger on each hand for each button and I hold as still as possible. Making sure that I don't toggle any buttons. at first, my phone would some how be stuck on the green android that is by himself. What your are saying sounds similar but I never noticed the white box. I think that this might be the download mode. if you have some kind of case on the phone, try removing it.

Last edited:

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
I stated in my previous post that I have not noticed one. I bought the phone at the end of February. I rooted the phone the night before I posted this tutorial. I will check the build version as soon as my son gets home. FYI, The rom is totally stock as no one has had this rooted, unlocked bootloader or otherwise, that I know of.

Sent from my LIQUIDSMOOTH SGH-T989

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
I will attempt to find this screen later when my son gets home. 3:30pm central.I have only owned the phone for about 1 1/2 months. I do not believe that I have received any update OTA or any other way. my son downloads a lot of CRAP. He eventually got stuck in the pink logo boot-loop. I proceeded to do the boot-loop fix that I listed and after the factory reset to get out of it, I confirmed that it booted normally, turned the phone off and went back into recovery.

One thing I did notice about this phone is the power button. It is "weird". I am one of those that mash the buttons EXTRA hard to insure that they are being pressed. I make sure that I use both hands, one finger on each hand for each button and I hold as still as possible. Making sure that I don't toggle any buttons. at first, my phone would some how be stuck on the green android that is by himself. What your are saying sounds similar but I never noticed the white box. I think that this might be the download mode. if you have some kind of case on the phone, try removing it.

I tried again and made sure to hold the buttons firmly without moving but have the same result. Maybe your son never applied the OTA update and that's why you can get in recovery mode. :confused:

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

I stated in my previous post that I have not noticed one. I bought the phone at the end of February. I rooted the phone the night before I posted this tutorial. I will check the build version as soon as my son gets home. FYI, The rom is totally stock as no one has had this rooted, unlocked bootloader or otherwise, that I know of.

I was just wondering if the OTA update was applied by bkool96 and maybe that's why we both can't get recovery mode to boot.

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
If you are willing to back up what you can and then do a factory restore. You might have luck that way. I will try to get into recovery later today since my son has been using the phone but I may still be able to seeing as how I am already rooted.

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
Also, googling it, I noticed that I may be A** backwards. Meaning, Try Volume UP and the power button. If that works then I will edit the tutorial.

Last edited:

bkool96

Apr 5, 2013
Also, googling it, I noticed that I may be A** backwards. Meaning, Try Volume UP and the power button. If that works then I will edit the tutorial.

I'm pretty sure its volume down+power button. Im stuck at the green android with volume up and I get into recovery with volume down for like 3 seconds then it reboots with a yellow error message mentioning something about the /data directory

fathertomany

Sep 7, 2012
When you press the volume up and power buttons, DO NOT let them go until the Android with the triangle appears. Then follow the rest of the guide. I remember getting frozen at the green Android by himself.:banghead:

Last edited:

bkool96

Apr 5, 2013
When you press the volume up and power buttons, DO NOT let them go until the Android with the triangle appears. Then follow the rest of the guide. I remember getting frozen at the green Android by himself.:banghead:

I tried it again and its still a no go. Maybe its my phones build number that the recovery mode doesn't like?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Have you ever applied the over the air update? I have and I wonder if that has eliminated the ability to get into recovery mode.

I updated back at the end of December which fixed problems I had with mounting the USB storage on my Mac

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ALSO WORKS FOR T-MOBILE DART!!

Never Hurts to Thank or GIFT to all that help you!

NO PC NEEDED!!!!!!!!:highfive:

Necessary downloads from the Play Store

SuperUser or SuperSU -- One will work, the other won't -- [/COLOR][/SIZE] --A MUST HAVE for any rooted phone! Superuser/SuperSU is the app that manages what apps on your rooted device have access to su. Apps that are granted su have elevated permissions and can modify just about any part of the system. The app consists of two parts, Superuser.apk and the su binary.

Superuser.apk runs as any other app and gives you, the user, a place to see what apps you have allowed or denied, as well as view a log of what apps have used su when.

Link2SD-- DO NOT USE until rooted.--Link2SD is an application that makes it easy for Android 1.6+ users with root privileges on their phone to move applications to the SD card.

The idea behind is same with apps2sd scripts, linking applications to SD card's second partition but differs in two ways.

One, instead of linking /data/app folder (that means moving all applications), you can select applications that you want to move.
    Two, it's an application which means has a user interface. You can manage your applications with few clicks.

It also provides native apps2sd features on Android 2.2 and higher. It can move any non-protected user apps to SD card (force move), with batch moving capability.
    That feature uses Android's standard SD-card installation feature and does not require a second partition. It can break some apps if they are not meant to be moved to the SD card (Such as Widgets).

BusyBox--DO NOT USE until rooted. --A MUST HAVE for any rooted phone! Almost EVERY rooted applications needs BusyBox to perform their magic, if you have a rooted phone then you NEED BusyBox.

Pro version contains Backup feature (for safer installs), uninstall feature, Advance Smart install feature, the ability to hand pick the applets you want, safety check for missing applets on start, and better overall support. The pro version will receive more frequent updates than the free version will.

Root Checker (optional)--Checks for ROOT -- Use AFTER Installing a Superuser app.

BOOT-LOOP FIX

2.) Replace battery.

3.) Boot into recovery by holding Volume DOWN and power button until the android with the triangle appears. This will appear AFTER the android that is by himself!! (about 30 seconds)

5.) Navigate to the 3rd choice - " wipe data/factory reset". Select by pressing the menu button

6.) Navigate to YES and select by pressing the menu button.

7.) When the wipe is complete, navigate to and select - "reboot system", again with the menu button.

ROOTING

2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B08 = NO FACTORY RESET NEEDED???Maybe

2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B19 = FACTORY RESET NEEDED???Maybe.

2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B20 = FACTORY RESET NEEDED

1.)Using your PHONE or computer - Download attached update.zip file.

3.) Power off the phone

4.) reboot into recovery by holding Volume DOWN and power button until the android with the triangle appears . This will appear AFTER the android that is by himself!!(about 30 seconds)

If for some reason, you CANNOT boot into recovery try to FACTORY RESET.

7.) select UPDATE.ZIP to install

8.) Navigate to YES, if asked, and press the menu key.

9.) Navigate to - "reboot system now" and select by pressing the menu key.

10.) Install SuperUser. I installed SuperUser and Root Checker before installing the update.

11.) Install Busybox - Using the SMART INSTALL feature. Get it from the play store.

12.) Follow this guide - if you are going to partition an SD Card - It will show you how to partition the SD Card and install Link2SD :

Partition you SD Card To Acquire more "Internal Memory"

Congratulations!! You are now ROOTED and have more "Internal Memory"!!

Special THANKS to JCASE for his CREATION of the ZTE MERIT UPDATE.ZIP
    Anyone else try this?

Liquidsmooth GSII
    Release

Here I am posting a batch file that will do multiple things:

1. Walk you through rooting your T-Mobile Concord. Dont worry about downloading the update.zip it does it all for you
    2. Installs Superuser
    3. Removal Menu where you can decide what you want removed
    Are there any available roms for the tmobile concord. Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Not yet,but Im working on it. There is some kernel work being done,but its not stricktly necessary as you can make a rom that uses the stock kernel. For many,they wont care. Certain features will be problematic,but back in the windows mobile days thats all we had.