[Build Indexes] - Don't ask which build is best -- choose for yourself based on the features you desire!
- Android ROM Build DATABASE
SimonNWalker is maintaining a great graphic that showcases the feature sets of the latest and greatest android builds ("roms" if you prefer) for the G1 / ADP. Check here to see "which is best" and try them out for yourself.
- Android Revisions: Android ROM updates
Sir Savant is maintaining another build database. This web app allows for sorting / filtering / etc
- Google Docs Build Spreadsheet - View and edit build info
- In the beginning... There was ROOT
This is a fabulous place to start. The original post gives lots of good definitions, history, and an excellent overview of most things going on here.
- SPLs for DREA100 & DREA110 (Orig, Eng, Hard)
Contains information and downloads for SPLs (Secondary Program Loader) for the Dream. A modded SPL is instrumental in restoring from backup, preventing a brick, applying builds designed for foreign markets, etc.
- Nandroid v2.0 - Full NAND backup and restore tool
In-depth discussion of your best friend whilst modding your android device. A good Nandroid backup regimen will pay dividends to keep you up and running.
- Basic adb/root commands for noobs
Using ADB and terminal commands for your Android phone.
- Surviving a Data Wipe / Update (Reduces Force Closes, too!)
Save (most of) your data while switching between builds (wipes are not your enemy!!)
- Cyanogen's recovery partition
- Modded recovery and boot images
- SDSPLIT repartition your SDcard on phone (w/o a PC) - NOW handles > 2G FAT!!!
An easy way to re-partition your SD card without a PC.
- LucidREM's Latest JF mod scripts
The swiss army knife of build customization
- Auto-lucid script by tehseano
- Let's fix that SPL Pay attention too post 3
Report in here if your phone is unresponsive after applying the 1.33.2005 SPL released by Haykuro. If you can get into Recovery or the SPL bootloader screen (three skateboarding androids), this is not you.
- ROM guide for HTC Dream
- T-Mobile G1 User Guides/Manuals
- HTC Dream Wiki
- "Brick" Thread or Technical Think Tank for Bricked G1's
If your phone is stuck at your splash screen (most likely a big white "G1")...if you you think something is broken...if you otherwise think you have a brick, post here instead of starting a new thread and any online members will do everything they can to help you out. (Reading as much as possible of these threads before posting will give you lots of insight as well!!)
- Benchmark your build (apps thread)
- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream
A detailed how to that goes above and beyond to not only tell you what to do, but why you should do it. The OP also has tons of links to lots of really informative topics. A must read for anyone new to the scene.
- UNROOT, get phone to STOCK firmware
Reverting back to stock firmware.
- New and improved Apps to SD(more stable, more powerful, etc)
The latest tutorial on how to get apps to SD.
- Convert and mount ext2 sd partition ( /system/sd ) to ext3
Tools and instructions to add journaling to your ext sd card partition (apps2sd, etc). trust me, journaling is a good thing!
- Register the G1 without a sim or data plan
- Increase Max Volume -- Automated, no reboot needed
- ADB for Dummies Supported Operating Systems Drivers and SDK
- Get Home Auto Rotate on JFv1.51
- Unpack, Edit, and Repack Boot Images
Create and edit "recovery" and "boot" .img files -- this thread is not for splash images.
- Custom SPLASH Image
Replace that G1 splash logo that displays when your device turns on.
- Alternative way to creating a SPLASH image
- View Man Pages in terminal / adb shell
- Mount SD card in recovery via adb
- Use ash as your login shell
- Set up compcache - Compress a portion of your system memory to effectively increase capacity
Ported Hero Programs:
Developers - Instead of maintaining a list of builds, I've changed this list to include links to your publications (blog, twitter, main release thread, etc.) let me know when / if you want these modified or if any should be added -- I'm sure I've missed some of you!
- JesusFreke's Blog
- Haykuro's Blog
- TheDudeOfLife's google code page
- Cyanogen's Twitter
- TwistedUmbrella's Twitter
- justanothercrowd's twitter
- Stericson's twitter
For links / info on particular builds, check out the Android ROM Build Database, Android Revisions, or the Google Docs Build Spreadsheet
This index will be updated as needed.
Please keep comments on topic!