How to get 4.2 Nexus 10 Launcher!

OP Gudders

9th April 2013, 07:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Warrington
Thanks Meter: 18

85 posts
More
All credit goes to Droid-Eye here for this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...84&postcount=6 !!

Anyone who was hoping to be able to use the new launcher (such as myself) will be happy to know that you can! It appears that the option is there in the 4.2 OTA update, it is just hidden from the settings menu. I assume that Asus are probably still working on it and will release it in a future update.

The only modification I made to Droid-Eye's method was to simply use a setting shortcut widget rather than an entire launcher option such as ADW.

I used 'Secure Settings' from Google Play, which is free. Please bear in mind you also need an Ipack for an icon for your shortcut. Luckily Secure Settings has a handy link to download free ones from Google Play when you are setting up your shortcut.

I hope it helps anyone desperte to try out the new launcher style. It seems many people hate the new launcher, and I'll admit that I did myself the first time I saw it. However, it has grown on me and I'm going to give it a run to see if I like it over the old style. I can always change back...for the moment anyway.

Note: There is no need to be rooted or unlocked to do this. You can always change back to previous launcher by setting up another shortcut widget in the new style launcher. Your tablet will need to restart to make the change, that is normal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gudders For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2013, 07:20 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Flag Warrington
Thanks Meter: 18

85 posts
More
Screenshots.

As Droid-Eye correctly pointed out, the home soft button doesn't line up with the app draw button. I haven't found any other bugs yet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365531518741.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1870586   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365531544707.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1870587   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365531567226.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1870588  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gudders For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2013, 03:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 27

152 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudders

Screenshots.

As Droid-Eye correctly pointed out, the home soft button doesn't line up with the app draw button. I haven't found any other bugs yet.

The instructions worked well for me. So far I keep looking for the buttons in the wrong place. But overall the tablet seems snappier with this launcher. I also do like that the notifications shows across the top so you can see a lot more of the text.

10th April 2013, 09:47 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 21

14 posts
Thumbs up Good looking out
I didn't even think about giving this its own thread. Hopefully, more people will consider trying the new layout now instead of just sticking with the status quo. I know not everyone will prefer them but it's always better to have the choice (I mean, this is Android after all).

Thanks for the credit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Droid-Eye For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2013, 09:54 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,552

5,263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid-Eye

I didn't even think about giving this its own thread. Hopefully, more people will consider trying the new layout now instead of just sticking with the status quo. I know not everyone will prefer them but it's always better to have the choice (I mean, this is Android after all).

Thanks for the credit.

+1, how the hell that you found this out is beyond my imagination! good job bro!
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2013, 03:45 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 50

279 posts
Thanks for the tip, but gmd gesture control seems to have stopped working for me after enabling stock 4.2 launcher.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
11th April 2013, 04:07 AM   |  #7  

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

+1, how the hell that you found this out is beyond my imagination! good job bro!

Thanks, man. I've been playing around in the activities shortcuts since I first got my brand new (at the time) Moto Droid with 2.0.1(to give you a time frame). I've found all kinds of cool stuff that way and it's nice finding solutions that don't require root once in a while. I highly recommend combing through the system activities if only just to see if there's anything hiding, waiting for a later update. This is how I found Face Unlock before they were ready to give it to us, too (though it took some interesting hoop jumping to get it to actually work). Also how I found the stock android dialer so I could try it wwith different SIP clients (still a work in progress).

Anyway, dig through the activities. Guaranteed you'll find something to play with in there.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ej4y

Thanks for the tip, but gmd gesture control seems to have stopped working for me after enabling stock 4.2 launcher.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Maybe check the tf300 threads (since they're the only other ones with this ability) and see if anyone's found a workaround for it. If it's happening for them too and there isn't a fix, I'm sure GMD will want to know about it so it can be fixed before the rest of the tf700 and tf201 communities run into it. Either way, keep the shortcut handy and you can always toggle back whenever they update the app.
11th April 2013, 05:18 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudders

All credit goes to Droid-Eye here for this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...84&postcount=6 !!

Anyone who was hoping to be able to use the new launcher (such as myself) will be happy to know that you can! It appears that the option is there in the 4.2 OTA update, it is just hidden from the settings menu. I assume that Asus are probably still working on it and will release it in a future update.

The only modification I made to Droid-Eye's method was to simply use a setting shortcut widget rather than an entire launcher option such as ADW.

I used 'Secure Settings' from Google Play, which is free. Please bear in mind you also need an Ipack for an icon for your shortcut. Luckily Secure Settings has a handy link to download free ones from Google Play when you are setting up your shortcut.

I hope it helps anyone desperte to try out the new launcher style. It seems many people hate the new launcher, and I'll admit that I did myself the first time I saw it. However, it has grown on me and I'm going to give it a run to see if I like it over the old style. I can always change back...for the moment anyway.

Note: There is no need to be rooted or unlocked to do this. You can always change back to previous launcher by setting up another shortcut widget in the new style launcher. Your tablet will need to restart to make the change, that is normal.

What setting shortcut did you use? I'm trying to use the Settings and am having difficulty in choosing the right option underneath it.
11th April 2013, 06:10 PM   |  #9  

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animejay

What setting shortcut did you use? I'm trying to use the Settings and am having difficulty in choosing the right option underneath it.

Not sure if you're using my method or Gudder's but here's a photo step-by-step of how I do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42_Launcher_steps-numbered.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1876105  
The Following User Says Thank You to Droid-Eye For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2013, 06:35 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid-Eye

Not sure if you're using my method or Gudder's but here's a photo step-by-step of how I do it.

Thanks so much. I was having a hard time seeing the setting.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread