[B]Xperia X1 Recharging time[/B]

Search This thread

maedox

Nov 14, 2008
Oslo
I think that is a general "weakness" in all phones. No phones are able to stay on with wi-fi activated for more than a few hours. Don't act all surprised - It's always been that way.

I'm sure you won't notice any big difference in battery life before you buy another phone. Even if you use wifi and charge it at the same time. The engineers behind the phone(s) are surely smarter than making a mistake like that.

If you charge your phone with a PC with ActiveSync installed you don't need wi-fi because it can use the AS connection.

Fr@

Feb 4, 2009
Rome
This has convinced me that the X1 has a serious weakness, as charging while wifi connected is a long-standing work habit. If the wifi is connected without charging, a usable time of 2-3 hours is all you get (no good :mad:)

Hmm, I think you have a faulty battery. Up to now, I can stay connected via wi-fi, surfing with Opera, for more than 4hours, and still having a good 30-40% battery capacity left.

On the other side, I do agree with you that overheating is a real big issue, my X1 battery always get hot when I recharge via USB.

Needs

Feb 12, 2009
If you charge your phone with a PC with ActiveSync installed you don't need wi-fi because it can use the AS connection.

lol.... Last night, I was wondering why my wifi refused to connect and i still have internet access.. lol. (since i've used NODATA to block all gprs,3g internet etc..)

Now i know why. BECAUSE im connected via cable with ActiveSync...

dick_pomper

Feb 10, 2009
LOL I had the exactly same last night, the RSS feeds where 1 hour old when I looked at my phone, I'm abroad so I checked "No Data and everything was fine. Now I know... The Xperia keeps suprising me, in a positive way!!!

ianl8888

Dec 29, 2006
I think that is a general "weakness" in all phones. No phones are able to stay on with wi-fi activated for more than a few hours. Don't act all surprised - It's always been that way.

I'm sure you won't notice any big difference in battery life before you buy another phone. Even if you use wifi and charge it at the same time. The engineers behind the phone(s) are surely smarter than making a mistake like that.

I really do dislike it when my post is misread and the mis-read is then answered with some very silly comments.

1) I've tried 2 new batteries - same result, despite first charging them both slowly overnight before turning the device on. Yes, I've used the wall charger with Sony Ericsson stamped all over it ... that is to forestall other silly comments.

2) I was pointing out that the battery overheats when using wifi while connected to the wall charger - every time. The Polaris with a Li-ion battery now 15 months old does not - it just works all day. So the situation is not the same for all PDA's, OK ?

3) using wifi to transfer maps to and from my office LAN (ie. more than one PC), edit, rerun the geological modeller, test the maps in the PDA programs, edit them there and re-transfer and so on is extremely inefficient using AS rather than wifi. And I tend to work for 9-10 hours at a time, not a few hours to listen to trivia. Again, the Li-ion battery of the Polaris shows no such overheating symptoms, but Li-poly batteries do

4) the same problem applies to using GPS. You cannot run the battery with GPS on for more than 3-4 hours without loss of power. When I field-map, I'm using it constantly for up to 12 hours, so it has to stay on car charging. The SE battery heats alarmingly within an hour or so, the Polaris never does. And yes, I'm using Sony Ericsson car chargers ...

5) I'm not suggesting that Sony Ericsson engineers were stupid - instead SE cut manufacturing costs with a battery that would suit the Generation Y trivia crowd ... heaven knows there are huge numbers of them. The X1 is not suitable for the heavy use I have with its' current battery configuration

Now, please READ the post before commenting. I welcome constructive replies, but those that address different, made-up, questions are consigned to the "can't read" bin.

Last edited:

Fulgore69

Jan 9, 2009
Concepcion
I can tell you that the heat on battery is normal on Lithium ion Polymer, but they suppose to store for longer and more capacity... And there are more leight, but i prefferd the lithium-ion....
Sorry for bad english..

Steve_TLS

Jun 3, 2009
Melbourne
www.wotid.com
lol.... Last night, I was wondering why my wifi refused to connect and i still have internet access.. lol. (since i've used NODATA to block all gprs,3g internet etc..)

Now i know why. BECAUSE im connected via cable with ActiveSync...

Digging up an old post.

What is the setting to disable WiFi when connected via ActiveSync? I'm sure mine used to turn off when I was connected to the internet via ActiveSync. I must have changed something somewhere (that I can't find) to cause WiFi to keep running while connected via ActiveSync.

Bangsat86

Jun 24, 2009
To the original post: That is strange the only thing i got with my xperia is A wall charger that has on the other side a usb connection. So thats like charging my xperia with usb. You guys got a normal "Wall"charger?

Last edited:

Steve_TLS

Jun 3, 2009
Melbourne
www.wotid.com
Same here. The wall charger has a USB connection on it for power.

The SE wall charger in my bedroom with a spare mini USB cable, the iPod charger in the lounger room with a spare mini USB cable, the car cigarette iPod charger in my car & a spare mini USB cable, all have powered USB sockets and all charge my phone depending where I am. (Lot's of friends have Nokia's with mini USB too, so I use there's when needed at their homes too.

I use the OEM mini USB cable supplied to charge and Sync on my laptop.

Don't think I'll get caught with a flat battery in a hurry :)