Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,525 Members 39,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB-Ethernet Driver Compilation

Tip us?

Remolten
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4adriver View Post
really wish I could post links, as jscullins has posted the driver!

hxxp://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/misc/mcs7830.ko
http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/misc/mcs7830.ko

all4adriver
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default could use some help

OK, finally got my OTG cable and USB ethernet. Let's do this!

Tried to follow these instructions:

So to review:
-copy driver (to /system/lib/modules)
-insert module ("insmod /system/lib/modules/*yourdriver*.ko")
-get an IP address (manually, or "/system/bin/dhcpd eth0")
-add DNS (setprop net.dns1 *yourDNSserver*)

Had to troubleshoot why my Touchpad wasn't being seen as a USB mass storage device. DONE. I'm feeling like a boss.
Windows Explorer didn't see the main system--just the "SD Card". What ever--not big deal. I copied the driver over to the SD Card. Downloaded Astro File Manager to copy the file to /system/lib/modules. Nope. Denied.

No problem! Dropped to terminal and enabled super user. Astro is still a no go. No worries!! I'm a big boy--I'll do this in terminal! Taught myself enough command line jargon to navigate to the file, and copy it to the intended directory. NOPE. Directory is read only.

OK, so I navigate there and try to chmod the directory with u+w. "Bad mode". Research that to learn I have to use the numbers. So I try that (775) and now it tells me it is a read-only file system.

sigh

It might not seem like it, but I'm trying. I really am.

Can someone tell me how to get past step one of this process? Please? What on earth am I doing wrong?

I recently had to do some wizardry on my phone to get openvpn to co-operate, and I suspect that would work here but I don't understand the commands, and fear I'd end up screwing something up.

This was the command:
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

I'm guessing I need to unmount the system so I can work on it and copy the file into that directory? Is that the case? Would the command line be the same, or different?

Anyone else get this to work now that the driver has been posted publicly?

Thanks!!!!

all4adriver
Old
Thanks Meter 1
To help those who come after me:

Grab ES File Explorer. It includes a Root Explorer that lets you mount the file system as writable. The "copy to" command claimed to work but did not copy the file. Copy the driver, then manually navigate to /system/lib/modules and paste. Voila.

Quote:
-insert module ("insmod /system/lib/modules/*yourdriver*.ko")
this appeared to work

Quote:
-get an IP address (manually, or "/system/bin/dhcpd eth0")
this took me a long time to figure out. as far as I can tell, the only "directions" noobs like me have to follow contain typos. the command should read dhcpcd eth0

HOWEVER, what I get instead is eth0: interface not found or invalid

a little help here? Does the mcs7830.ko driver work with the Asix AX88772 chipset?

all4adriver
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Stupid question--should I be expecting the touchpad to power the USB ethernet adapter via the OTG cable, or do I require a "Y" cable to supply power? Is that why I'm getting:

Quote:
eth0: interface not found or invalid

pizzaboy192
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4adriver View Post
Stupid question--should I be expecting the touchpad to power the USB ethernet adapter via the OTG cable, or do I require a "Y" cable to supply power? Is that why I'm getting:
I would assume so. Every HP Touchpad tutorial that I've see that mentions an OTG cable also mentions it needing to be powered.