[APP][2.1+]TakeABreak: Public toilet & drinking fountain finder

Search This thread

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Hey xda community!

TakeABreak is a project I've been working on recently. It has often occurred to me to look for toilets and water fountains when I am outside, but unfortunately they are not marked on Google Maps, so I developed my own solution.

This app lets you quickly find nearby public restrooms and drinking water fountains close to you. The app is good for hikers, bikers and urban dwellers alike! You can also choose to find nearby restaurants in order to use their amenities, but you may have to be a consumer of a store or restaurant in order to use them. Never get lost looking for a bathroom or a water fountain again!

The app queries the massive openstreetmap.org database for data, so anyone can add and make edits to the database. OpenStreetMap (OSM) is an open project to create a freely available map, a bit like the Wikipedia of maps. However, the database is not yet complete, and the usefulness of this app depends a lot on the completeness of the OSM database around you. Generally, OSM has more data in European cities than elsewhere. If you know some locations that's missing on the map, you're more than welcome to add them to the global OpenStreetMap database.

Features:
*Find nearby water tap, restrooms, toilets, and restaurants.
*Switch between Satellite view, Hybrid, Terrain and Regular map.
*Uses the new Google Maps v2 API for best look and performance.
*Supports many map gestures
*Directions via Google Maps
*Options to change what to see

Screenshots:
jppRx--6LbysiBVuEsRC5NExs_qNCSNOvF3XwsRqTqV8PRzlPV80FXrmSouMO81OYyg
XG50Q26LmqRA076yKLCdazABKBLkUqrY10EVNeiGLhJPfJWLz4RTPL1FzmuRHnDuSw

*Note that this app is ad-supported.

Download link via the Play store:
TakeABreak

icechen1

May 3, 2012
I'm trying to compile a coverage list. If you try out the app, please reply with your area and how complete the data around your area is.

Thanks a lot!

icechen1

May 3, 2012
my area: portland, maine

shows plenty of restaurants, very few drinking fountains or public heads. would be great if could add points directly from app to OSM

anyway, nice work!

Done! In the new version 1.6 you can search, and add points to OSM using your account!
Plus a nifty new app icon too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey xda community!

TakeABreak is a project I've been working on recently. It has often occurred to me to look for toilets and water fountains when I am outside, but unfortunately they are not marked on Google Maps, so I developed my own solution.

This app lets you quickly find nearby public restrooms and drinking water fountains close to you. The app is good for hikers, bikers and urban dwellers alike! You can also choose to find nearby restaurants in order to use their amenities, but you may have to be a consumer of a store or restaurant in order to use them. Never get lost looking for a bathroom or a water fountain again!

The app queries the massive openstreetmap.org database for data, so anyone can add and make edits to the database. OpenStreetMap (OSM) is an open project to create a freely available map, a bit like the Wikipedia of maps. However, the database is not yet complete, and the usefulness of this app depends a lot on the completeness of the OSM database around you. Generally, OSM has more data in European cities than elsewhere. If you know some locations that's missing on the map, you're more than welcome to add them to the global OpenStreetMap database.

Features:
    *Find nearby water tap, restrooms, toilets, and restaurants.
    *Switch between Satellite view, Hybrid, Terrain and Regular map.
    *Uses the new Google Maps v2 API for best look and performance.
    *Supports many map gestures
    *Directions via Google Maps
    *Options to change what to see

Screenshots:
    jppRx--6LbysiBVuEsRC5NExs_qNCSNOvF3XwsRqTqV8PRzlPV80FXrmSouMO81OYyg
    XG50Q26LmqRA076yKLCdazABKBLkUqrY10EVNeiGLhJPfJWLz4RTPL1FzmuRHnDuSw

*Note that this app is ad-supported.

Download link via the Play store:
    TakeABreak