Wi-Fi Optimisation Option In WiFi Settings.

Search This thread

KinetiClutch

Apr 9, 2013
Hi all,

Not seen a thread for this yet. Believe this is new to the 4.2 update as this option never existed previously.

In the Advanced Settings Menu for Wi-Fi you can see this box and it is checked on by default.

Can anyone with the ability verify what this does potentially? Might be useful in future development possibly?

Furthermore, I wondered that with all these TF700 Battery Usage threads there may be a potential error somewhere with the settings that having an adverse effect? This probably wouldn't be the first time something like this happend with ASUS.

Edit:

Side not noticed while trying to do some crude testing of this that there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in battery life by turning brightness to SUPER IPS+ and then move the brightness down to a comfortable level,due the the extreme brightness the level can be very low 10-30 % and still easily bright enough

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Side not noticed while trying to do some crude testing of this that there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in battery life by turning brightness to SUPER IPS+ and then move the brightness down to a comfortable level,due the the extreme brightness the level can be very low 10-30 % and still easily bright enough

The battery drain is only proportional to the final brightness.

"IPS+ is nothing more than a fancy name for brightness." (dasunsrule32) - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39888516&postcount=1788

Tylorw1

Feb 10, 2013
Ohio
tylorhost.me
Ahh okay thanks for the link.

Does any one know what the Wi Fi optimisation actually impacts?

It gives your wifi adapter lets power, which in return, shortens your wifi range, but decreases battery consumption because I usually could walk around the house with full bars, but now its on optimization its quite a bit shorter, get 1-2 bars at most on porch(cheap router lol) but used to get almost full on 4.1.1 without the "optimization".

Tylor

KinetiClutch

Apr 9, 2013
It gives your wifi adapter lets power, which in return, shortens your wifi range, but decreases battery consumption because I usually could walk around the house with full bars, but now its on optimization its quite a bit shorter, get 1-2 bars at most on porch(cheap router lol) but used to get almost full on 4.1.1 without the "optimization".

Ahh okay makes sense. I Wonder if this is alterable at all with Root tools. Or this likely to be CROM / KERNEL based

Tylor

Ahh okay makes sense. I Wonder if this is alterable at all with Root tools. Or this likely to be CROM / KERNEL based

Only saying that for moments when you're not moving from the WiFi point and could potentially decrease power even further like now currently where I am in the same room as my rooter

Tylorw1

Feb 10, 2013
Ohio
tylorhost.me

Only saying that for moments when you're not moving from the WiFi point and could potentially decrease power even further like now currently where I am in the same room as my rooter

I truthfully dont know if you can decrease it, but there are apps to make your wifi range expands, which consumes more power but I would not tweak with the power, just either turn it on or off. It is there to help, Before there was no option so it can only help battery life.

Tylor

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY

try this. I worked with it a while back. got it working on phone, but noticed no difference on tablet. since system can now control it, perhaps it's scalable now.
http://jhanford.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/lowering-wi-fi-transmit-power-in-android/