[APP][25MAR10][v2.4.0.2]Power Radio - FM player with RDS decoding

Search This thread

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna
Why PowerRadio?
The built-im FM player - at least on HTC HD - misses many features i'd like to have in a FM radio. PowerRadio delivers many data available via RDS which would otherwise be invisible to the listener. Here are just a few examples:
- Radiotext: contains information broadcast by the respective station. What you get here totally depens on the broadcaster. You might see title and interpret, call-in numbers, SMS trafficservice numbers, URL's etc.
- traffic announcements, program type, coverage area, date, time, timezone, various status flags
More info on RDS can be found in this post.

PowerRadio1.png
PowerRadio2.png

Note: symbolic picture. HD2 is not currently supported.

You like Power Radio?

I've spent many hours in writing this app. If you like it, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake during the nightly coding sessions? :)

Thank you for your kind donations
Marta F.P.
Bruno M.
thommic
MartinHDK
ricarp
kandisbunzler
rigoletto04
ReM942000
Ivan S.
Koffein Schluck
Herbert K.
oscarfpa
mcmaja
AlexK
MassimoG
JürgenF
JohanP
GünterL
VassiliosP
WolfgangN

DOWNLOADS
Power Radio runs on many, but NOT ALL devices!
check here to see if you're lucky!

Power Radio cab's
Supported Devices list

Station Icons
includes instructions how to make your own cabs!
v1.4 or greater only!

Skins
get shiny, colorful, cool skins for Power Radio

Last edited:

uvz

Feb 15, 2007
Milano
fantastic! works great on my raphael (6.5)
thanks;)
Now I just change the color brown ..:eek::)

Last edited:

flywhc

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2005
London, UK
I am using Raphael 6.5 ROM too.
I couldn't hear anything after installation but I couldsee RDS data on the screen.
I closed and replaced GFMAPI then it works.

Suggestion: add indicator of loading/unloading progress such as a spinning hourglass.

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Heya. Nice to see you released your radio :D Looking quite good! I like the classic yellow/brown look.

Just two remarks I found so far..
1) When on speaker mode, shutdown and restart, it's on full volume. Woke half my family with it ;-) Could you enforce the previous volume on startup?
2) Could you change the sensitivity setting to allow higher sensitivity? When at 9 I still get way too many 'static noise' stations. I need it to go to at least 15 or so. Besides, sensitivity is more like 'minimal signal level'. Else a value of '0' implies less sensitive, while it seems to be even more sensitive.

L_o_k_i

Jun 4, 2007
Brussels
Hi,

That's great for a start! I'm impressed!

I have found some bugs:

- The volume level is louder than the volume indicator after a close/restart.

- After a close/restart, the names of the preset buttons change from for example "87,5" to "87" with the "5" under the "87" (see pics)... After that the preset button for my example tunes to "87" and not to "87,5". If I try to edit the name, only "5" is editable.

- There's a problem with the police you use: after I use Power Radio, the font of the task manager on my Touch HD is replaced by yours (see pic)... I have to soft reset to get it back.

Will it be possible to:

- store more presets

- store the name of the station instead of the frequency during the scan

- add the possibility to record the radio :D

One more question, but it may be for flywhc: when the reception is not good, the name of the station can be misspelled (the other information also can be wrong)... I thought the checkwords in RDS groups could help in detecting these errors and not transmit a wrong block.

Attachments

• Screen002.jpg
    Screen002.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 4,036
  • Screen003.jpg
    Screen003.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,292
  • Screen005.jpg
    Screen005.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,732
Last edited:

Boss428man

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
Hi, Looks good however it isn't working on my verizon diamond. It opens and say wait loading forever. If you close and restart the ap I get can't open GFMAPI. I also noticed that it changes my HTC task bar font to the digital font. Well i'm looking forward to your next rev. Thanks for the hard work.

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna
Thanks everyone for your comments. I added a todo list to the first post reflecting your suggestions.

- After a close/restart, the names of the preset buttons change from for example "87,5" to "87" with the "5" under the "87" (see pics)... After that the preset button for my example tunes to "87" and not to "87,5". If I try to edit the name, only "5" is editable.
I forgot to mention that country settings are ignored in this version. I'm using a WWE rom where comma is a ".", on your screenshot i see a french version where obviously comma is ",". I will add country support later - it's on the todo.

- store the name of the station instead of the frequency during the scan
Thats possible, but would extend scan times dramatically as i've to wait for RDS data to arrive. And then there are still broadcasters without RDS at all. I'll consider adding a scan option for that.

- add the possibility to record the radio :D
I have no plans for writing another audio recording app, but it should be possible to integrate with an existing one. Will check that out.

One more question, but it may be for flywhc: when the reception is not good, the name of the station can be misspelled (the other information also can be wrong)... I thought the checkwords in RDS groups could help in detecting these errors and not transmit a wrong block.
It's not flywhc's fault, GFMAPI delivers the checkwords but at the moment they are simply ignored :p. Added to todo.

Did not open on Touch Pro 2. Installed fine. When opened it, error came "can't open GFMAPI"
Touch pro 2 doesnt have native FM radio support, though some guys managed to add that. See this thread for details:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=521356&page=1

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna
Hi, Looks good however it isn't working on my verizon diamond. It opens and say wait loading forever. If you close and restart the ap I get can't open GFMAPI. I also noticed that it changes my HTC task bar font to the digital font. Well i'm looking forward to your next rev. Thanks for the hard work.
I dont know your device, does it have a built-in FM radio app? Could you try to run flywhc's APITest (see first post) and see if it opens/plays?

After closing PowerRadio, you have to wait for approx. 10 secs. before restarting it. This is due to hidden threads running in background after exit. I'll add waitcursors in future releases to indicate that.

You could try to run a manual scan while it still displays "wait loading", or manually step through frequencies to a known station. Please let me know the outcome.

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna

sonydesouza

Jan 31, 2009
Paris
Google Pixel 8
I'm not very talented when it comes to grafics and skins, so i better dont - trust me :D Currently it wouldnt be possible too, as many elements are hardcoded. As a best effort i could modify the GUI to make skins possible, i'm sure there are some grafics genius'es out there to fill the gap.

I'm female :p

Ok...Thanks for your quick response "chick" ! :D...I'm just kidding...

It would be great if you could change the GUI...in order to make skins possible...

Because, to be honest with you, i don't really like colors yellow/brown...

Anyway, thanks for your hard work...You rock ! :)

tiger

Feb 27, 2005
Hi, this is great! What about adding in the recording FM radio function?
That would really add value to our HTC devices!

TinTin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 12, 2003
Hamburg
mytd2.blogspot.com
Looks great already!

On Topaz (HTC Touch Diamond2) the volume is really really low. Increasing system volume to max. didn't help. Are the up(green) and down(red) arrows for volume? They don't do anything on my device either.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Excellent idea here. I installed, started it, it finds stations, but there is no audio at all. It also seemed to disable sounds throughout the whole system while it was on. Any ideas here? I am using a custom ROM with windows 6.5. Be glad to help you troubleshoot. Also, seems to have changed the font in Taskmanager :confused: Thanks for the work you have done so far ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why PowerRadio?
    The built-im FM player - at least on HTC HD - misses many features i'd like to have in a FM radio. PowerRadio delivers many data available via RDS which would otherwise be invisible to the listener. Here are just a few examples:
    - Radiotext: contains information broadcast by the respective station. What you get here totally depens on the broadcaster. You might see title and interpret, call-in numbers, SMS trafficservice numbers, URL's etc.
    - traffic announcements, program type, coverage area, date, time, timezone, various status flags
    More info on RDS can be found in this post.

PowerRadio1.png
    PowerRadio2.png

Note: symbolic picture. HD2 is not currently supported.

You like Power Radio?

I've spent many hours in writing this app. If you like it, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake during the nightly coding sessions? :)

Thank you for your kind donations
    Marta F.P.
    Bruno M.
    thommic
    MartinHDK
    ricarp
    kandisbunzler
    rigoletto04
    ReM942000
    Ivan S.
    Koffein Schluck
    Herbert K.
    oscarfpa
    mcmaja
    AlexK
    MassimoG
    JürgenF
    JohanP
    GünterL
    VassiliosP
    WolfgangN

DOWNLOADS
    Power Radio runs on many, but NOT ALL devices!
    check here to see if you're lucky!

Power Radio cab's
    Supported Devices list

Station Icons
    includes instructions how to make your own cabs!
    v1.4 or greater only!

Skins
    get shiny, colorful, cool skins for Power Radio
    Hi, I`ve found a solution for the GFMAPI.DLL error on xperia x1. I had installed xperia media panel, that got uninstalled. The trick is simple...open a registry editor and navigate to "HKLM\init\" and delete the "Launch500" key. It makes a reference to an executable file from whitin the installation folder of the xperia media panel, "\Program Files\Panels\MediaExperiencePanel\MxpProcess.exe". The exe file loads automatically at startup and can`t be deleted while it`s in use, so after you edit the registry soft reset and delete the exe file. Also I`ve attached the las known version of Power Radio. Enjoy!