XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Long press to get FN+Key

Tip us?

eran.chason@gmail.com
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Long press to get FN+Key

Hi all, I just got my Snap after having the Dash for 3 years. The Snap is great but I have one problem...

On the Dash, when typing, long press will input the Alt+key combination, e.g. when long press on the "W" key it will input "1". The Snap can't do it and I need to press the FN key

Any way to change this?

Thanks,
Eran

Psmit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran.chason@gmail.com View Post
Hi all, I just got my Snap after having the Dash for 3 years. The Snap is great but I have one problem...

On the Dash, when typing, long press will input the Alt+key combination, e.g. when long press on the "W" key it will input "1". The Snap can't do it and I need to press the FN key

Any way to change this?

Thanks,
Eran
That would be a great improvement! I had this same feature on my Diamond. I like the Snap keyboard, but you just have to push the FN key too much during some regular typing!
HTC Snap
WM 6.5 Build 3VO.1.60.090209

HTC Touch Diamond
ROM: A.Z.T.O.R v8 /HD1 WWE

JC6
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'd like this too.
1. HTC Snap with stock CE OS 5.2.21048 (Build 21048.1.6.3).
2. HTC Vox
3. HTC Kaiser / WM6.1 (ROMeOS v4.5.3) Radio 1.71.09.01 / Hard SPL 3.29 (relegated to TomTom duties only!)

eran.chason@gmail.com
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
seems like know one know how to solve... this is really annoying on this great phone!

lelopet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This depends on keyboard driver, what's always a dll library written by a manufacturer specifically for each device.

Similar problem has Touch Pro 2.

E.g. unlike Rose, where press+hold function can be simply remapped to another character/function.

JC6
Old
Thanks Meter 0
OK I think I've provisionally got this sorted - you have to edit the keymap file using a text editor (either on the device using e.g. Total Commander or (probably more easy) copy the file to your PC using Activesync, edit it then copy it back to your device). On my snap the file is \Windows\eT9.Maple.wwe.kmap.txt - might be different depending on your ROM and language settings.

Before we go any further, make a backup of the file because you can get into all sorts of problems if you mess it up. It will be recoverable with a hard reset if necessary, but you probably want to avoid that...

The process is pretty self explanatory when you look at the kmap.txt file, but as an example:

Look at the entry for the R key:

{R R R 3 3 0x03}

As stated in the beginning of the kmap.txt file (on my device anyway), the third character in the above entry is "VK2 -> key to interpret when for press and hold". So simply change this to:

{R R 3 3 3 0x03}

Reboot your device and try it in messaging - when you hold the R key you will get a 3. Now you need to do this for every key! I haven't done it for the whole keymap yet - this might be the sort of thing you want to do personally, it's not THAT big a job I guess.

Cheers.
2. HTC Vox
3. HTC Kaiser / WM6.1 (ROMeOS v4.5.3) Radio 1.71.09.01 / Hard SPL 3.29 (relegated to TomTom duties only!)

JC6
Old
Thanks Meter 0
P.S. I also used this to remap the tab key, which I don't find that useful.
2. HTC Vox

eran.chason@gmail.com
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default THANK!!!

this works beautifully!!! now the keyboard is as it should be the first place

Attached is the file for the WWE with long press supported for all keys
Attached Files
File Type: txt eT9.Maple.wwe.kmap.txt - [Click for QR Code] (4.4 KB, 211 views)

Psmit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran.chason@gmail.com View Post
this works beautifully!!! now the keyboard is as it should be the first place

Attached is the file for the WWE with long press supported for all keys
That's brilliant!
I've modified your file to get rid of 2 small bugs (* and 0 longpress not working) and absolutely love the keyboard now!
HTC Snap
WM 6.5 Build 3VO.1.60.090209

HTC Touch Diamond
ROM: A.Z.T.O.R v8 /HD1 WWE

qwerty017
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmit View Post
That's brilliant!
I've modified your file to get rid of 2 small bugs (* and 0 longpress not working) and absolutely love the keyboard now!
Could you post your modifications? Also, has anyone tried this on the Sprint Snap?