Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Deleted

Long press to get FN+Key

OP eran.chason@gmail.com

15th June 2009, 01:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag spore
Thanks Meter: 1

53 posts
More
Hi all, I just got my Snap after having the Dash for 3 years. The Snap is great but I have one problem...

On the Dash, when typing, long press will input the Alt+key combination, e.g. when long press on the "W" key it will input "1". The Snap can't do it and I need to press the FN key

Any way to change this?

Thanks,
Eran
25th June 2009, 12:12 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran.chason@gmail.com

Hi all, I just got my Snap after having the Dash for 3 years. The Snap is great but I have one problem...

On the Dash, when typing, long press will input the Alt+key combination, e.g. when long press on the "W" key it will input "1". The Snap can't do it and I need to press the FN key

Any way to change this?

Thanks,
Eran

That would be a great improvement! I had this same feature on my Diamond. I like the Snap keyboard, but you just have to push the FN key too much during some regular typing!
29th June 2009, 06:14 AM   |  #3  

26 posts
I'd like this too.
29th June 2009, 11:18 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag spore

53 posts
More
seems like know one know how to solve... this is really annoying on this great phone!
29th June 2009, 11:32 AM   |  #5  
Flag Prague

57 posts
More
This depends on keyboard driver, what's always a dll library written by a manufacturer specifically for each device.

Similar problem has Touch Pro 2.

E.g. unlike Rose, where press+hold function can be simply remapped to another character/function.
30th June 2009, 02:39 AM   |  #6  

26 posts
OK I think I've provisionally got this sorted - you have to edit the keymap file using a text editor (either on the device using e.g. Total Commander or (probably more easy) copy the file to your PC using Activesync, edit it then copy it back to your device). On my snap the file is \Windows\eT9.Maple.wwe.kmap.txt - might be different depending on your ROM and language settings.

Before we go any further, make a backup of the file because you can get into all sorts of problems if you mess it up. It will be recoverable with a hard reset if necessary, but you probably want to avoid that...

The process is pretty self explanatory when you look at the kmap.txt file, but as an example:

Look at the entry for the R key:

{R R R 3 3 0x03}

As stated in the beginning of the kmap.txt file (on my device anyway), the third character in the above entry is "VK2 -> key to interpret when for press and hold". So simply change this to:

{R R 3 3 3 0x03}

Reboot your device and try it in messaging - when you hold the R key you will get a 3. Now you need to do this for every key! I haven't done it for the whole keymap yet - this might be the sort of thing you want to do personally, it's not THAT big a job I guess.

Cheers.
30th June 2009, 02:42 AM   |  #7  

26 posts
P.S. I also used this to remap the tab key, which I don't find that useful.
30th June 2009, 08:23 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag spore

53 posts
More
THANK!!!
this works beautifully!!! now the keyboard is as it should be the first place

Attached is the file for the WWE with long press supported for all keys
Attached Files
File Type: txt eT9.Maple.wwe.kmap.txt - [Click for QR Code] (4.4 KB, 213 views)
1st July 2009, 02:00 AM   |  #9  

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran.chason@gmail.com

this works beautifully!!! now the keyboard is as it should be the first place

Attached is the file for the WWE with long press supported for all keys

That's brilliant!
I've modified your file to get rid of 2 small bugs (* and 0 longpress not working) and absolutely love the keyboard now!
11th July 2009, 08:31 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 12

115 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmit

That's brilliant!
I've modified your file to get rid of 2 small bugs (* and 0 longpress not working) and absolutely love the keyboard now!

Could you post your modifications? Also, has anyone tried this on the Sprint Snap?

Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread