SGH-T989D Telus/Koodo Official Jelly Bean (4.1.2)

Search This thread

Octane70

Dec 26, 2010
Okanagan
Thanks! Will this update via Kies reset the phone to stock?
I've got CWM on it, but I don't use ODIN much.

Correct me if I am wrong, If you have a custom rom on your phone already kies wont recognize it, you will need to use odin to flash the update.
There are a few how too's in the development to help odin back to stock.

eldamobo

Aug 27, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong, If you have a custom rom on your phone already kies wont recognize it, you will need to use odin to flash the update.
There are a few how too's in the development to help odin back to stock.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post - I actually am running a stock image, but I flashed a different recovery image so I could run nandroid backups :)

For work reasons (ugh, Good For Enterprise) I keep this device pretty stock and unrooted - but I don't feel safe without a backup

Kies asked me to update the device, and is doing something with the phone now...fingers crossed!

Octane70

Dec 26, 2010
Okanagan
Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post - I actually am running a stock image, but I flashed a different recovery image so I could run nandroid backups :)

For work reasons (ugh, Good For Enterprise) I keep this device pretty stock and unrooted - but I don't feel safe without a backup

Kies asked me to update the device, and is doing something with the phone now...fingers crossed!

Ok, shouldn't be a problem then, but it might wipe CWM off your phone.
You will be completely back to stock.

Last edited:

eldamobo

Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the comments - I'll post back with results. Since I'll need CWM I guess I'll have to flash it back with Odin :D

Debating if I ought to wipe it clean anyway...guess we'll see.

eldamobo

Aug 27, 2012
Yup - Kies install worked fine - it retained most of the settings
Some observations thus far:
- Jellybean external_sd management has changed
- Swype is gone! - the samsung replacement seems interesting, but I miss the select all, copy and paste shortcuts
- ui refinements (fonts, settings, and lock screen etc) are nice
- blocking mode
- improved shortcuts in the notifications pane
- UI is much smoother, phone doesn't appear much faster tho
- Need to setup widgets on go launcher again - but the new touchwiz home supports better folders, so I may use that instead

Just my 2cents :)

Last edited:

abhayy

Apr 27, 2011
Charmin'
Yup, it retained most of the settings
Some observations thus far:
- Jellybean external_sd management has changed
- Swype is gone - the samsung replacement seems interesting, but I miss the select all, copy and paste shortcuts
- ui refinements (fonts, settings, and lock screen etc) are nice
- blocking mode
- improved shortcuts in the notifications pane
- UI is much smoother, phone doesn't appear much faster tho
- Need to setup widgets on go launcher again - but the new touchwiz home supports better folders, so I may use that instead

Just my 2cents :)

so... its exactly the same the t-mobile release?

Spheeler

Feb 19, 2013
Re:Koodo/Telus SGH-T989D Official Jelly Bean (4.1.2)

Just flashed Via Odin 3.07 from a full wipe.

Seems to be exactly the same as the T-mobile update without the bloat.
No smart stay or ripple locksceen.
Baseband T989DTLMC4
Kernal version 3.0.31 dated March 26th..

Will try to root and install twrp now.

nashy10

Feb 13, 2012
YES

Ive been waiting sooooo long for this, high expectations here. Hopefully smoother than all the tmo roms and has no bugs, i always felt the t989d wasnt as smooth running tmo based roms, hopefully this will be good and smooth. Will flash a kernel and try to root, ill post back when done.

Spheeler

Feb 19, 2013
could somebody extract it...? the t-mobile radio hasnt been doing me too well here in the great white north.

I've extracted it from the .tar file with universal extractor and replaced the mdm.bin with the one from the old koodo radio flashable .zip
These instructions say it should work, seemed to for him.
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...3246-extract-radio-modem-tar-md5-package.html

Something I've noticed though is the mdm.bin file was around 100,000kb and the mdm.bin I got from the tar was only around 25,000kb
I'll try the new tmo radio and see how the file sizes compare.

Edit: took apart the newest radio and the mdm.bin is very close to the same size so I've used that as my base to modify from.
Edit: flashable radio confirmed to work heres link: https://hotfile.com/dl/204125050/d1fbd7b/SGH-T989D_TLMC4_radio.zip.html

Last edited:

bngrybt

Feb 2, 2013
Ok, so a friend of mine has the Telus version of this phone while mine is Koodo. We both updated today and they are identical. They don't even have carrier-specific boot screens this time. It just says Samsung. Also, I had updated my phone with Odin while my friend used Kies. Just to test it out, I opened my phone in Kies and it listed the firmware as TLS and not KDO and told me I had the latest firmware version, but I had downloaded the KDO one from samsung-updates. So it seems there really is no difference at all in firmware this time.

nashy10

Feb 13, 2012
Now got this running rooted with custom kernel, working well except samsung keyboard lags like a mother ****er

Sent from infamous Galaxy SII X

Jon4248

Sep 7, 2012

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update out! Check your Kies or flash via Odin.

From the Telus website;
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BENEFITS AND ENHANCEMENTS

-Actionable notifications will show up in the notification pane.
    -Jelly Bean makes your Android device even more responsive by boosting your device's CPU instantly when you touch the screen, and turns it down when you don't need it to improve battery life.
    -With Android Beam, you can now easily share your photos and videos.
    -As you place widgets on the screen, everything else automatically moves to make room. If they're too big, widgets resize on their own. If you choose to resize a widget, apps and widgets will now also move out of the way.
    -Google Now automatically delivers relevant real-time information.

NOTE: Google is releasing this update in stages. Your smartphone will receive a notification when this update becomes available to you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odin Flash files:
    Koodo:

Download now HERE

If you are with Telus, you can flash this as well, see HERE

Edit: I attached vlingo.apk from ICS for anyone who misses the Samsung voice commands and driving mode for bluetooth headsets. I figured they would of put that in, as it is law for hands free driving in Canada...but I guess they needed space. Enjoy.
    Hello,

I'm newbie need link to correct odin version to install T989DTLUMC4_T989DOYBMC4_TLS.zip
    on telus SGH-T989D

Thanks

For a link to the file you're talking about, you can check here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2247881.

If you're also looking for a guide to use Odin, check here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2226886

However, keep in mind that to get into download mode on the Telus/Koodo T989D (vs. T-Mobile T989), you need to use a different button combination. See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2079776

I found all of these links with searches on Google. If you're just starting to learn about this stuff, you really need to do some of your own searching. You will get harassed if you continue to ask questions about basics when answers can be easily found with some searching and reading of many, many existing tutorials and other helpful posts.
    Are you doing this immediately after odin flashing the rom? Or do you flash and let it boot up first then odin flash twrp

Sent from my SGH-T989D using xda app-developers app

Ok... let me clarify...

I installed the new rom using Odin... then booted... checked out the stock features quick

then went back to Odin... Installed the TWRP 2.5.0.0

Went into recovery just to see if it worked... gave me the option for SU

I went for it... rebooted system

updated SU from play store... done!

Worked like a charm

Cheers m8 :)

Oh... BTW... I have had issues with call echo since day one...
    the radio in this rom makes my calls and speaker phone crystal clear now
    me <- very happy lol
    could somebody extract it...? the t-mobile radio hasnt been doing me too well here in the great white north.

I've extracted it from the .tar file with universal extractor and replaced the mdm.bin with the one from the old koodo radio flashable .zip
    These instructions say it should work, seemed to for him.
    http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...3246-extract-radio-modem-tar-md5-package.html

Something I've noticed though is the mdm.bin file was around 100,000kb and the mdm.bin I got from the tar was only around 25,000kb
    I'll try the new tmo radio and see how the file sizes compare.

Edit: took apart the newest radio and the mdm.bin is very close to the same size so I've used that as my base to modify from.
    Edit: flashable radio confirmed to work heres link: https://hotfile.com/dl/204125050/d1fbd7b/SGH-T989D_TLMC4_radio.zip.html
    It's actually 4.1.2. I'm running it now. Haven't had a whole lot of time to try it out but it seems pretty nice so far. It's a huge change from 4.0.4, will take some getting used to before I'm sure of what I like about it and don't