[GUIDE] Rooting and Unbricking p930/p935/p936

Search This thread

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
I installed the LG United Mobile driver first, then msxsl.exe, i double-clicked on the B2CAppSetup.exe in this archive, it pops a window with "To check for software upgrades, you need to connect your PC to the internet and press continue" then 2 buttons "Continue" & "Cancel".
I had to use the B2CAppSetup.exe in Hererics' method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044645 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044645. Thatis the one that doesn't progress in the attachment above.
I opened both Windows Enabler & UpTest.exe in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, selected type as 3GQCT, Phone mode as CS_EMERGENCY and used the V10F_00.kdz in Hererics' post.
I clicked next on the Normal Web Upgrade Test button which brings up a "read phone information" window from which i clicked the "Upgrade start" button. Which leads to the errors described in my previous post,
Is there anything i"m doing wrong? :( PLS HELP

I am still thinking it has something to do with the HOSTS file. Try this as an experiment: Reinstall the HTTPS app from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597488. Then set according to the directions. Have it running and repeat the KDZ installer. If it works you know your HOSTS file still is on error. But the good news it works and I wouldn't do anything more. Just remember to have the HTTPS running if you ever want to unbrick again.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

trojan ledge

Apr 16, 2013
I am still thinking it has something to do with the HOSTS file. Try this as an experiment: Reinstall the HTTPS app from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597488. Then set according to the directions. Have it running and repeat the KDZ installer. If it works you know your HOSTS file still is on error. But the good news it works and I wouldn't do anything more. Just remember to have the HTTPS running if you ever want to unbrick again.

i guess i have to click on "Normal web upgrade test" button first, then "Upgrade Start" and not "Start Upgrade" button in the UpTest.exe interface

trojan ledge

Apr 16, 2013
OK I know there is something we are missing. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Wait a minute... I think I finally got it to work. But it's stuck @ 4% with LG bootlooping on my nitro hd. Wat next?

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

OK I know there is something we are missing. Does anyone else have any ideas?

The update interface is stuck at 4% but the log seemed to have completed to 100 and the phone is bootlooping on the 2nd LG splash screen. Urgent help pls.

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
Wait a minute... I think I finally got it to work. But it's stuck @ 4% with LG bootlooping on my nitro hd. Wat next?

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

The update interface is stuck at 4% but the log seemed to have completed to 100 and the phone is bootlooping on the 2nd LG splash screen. Urgent help pls.

Run the after.bat file then factory reset. (That's what it should be doing) so what was did you do differently this time?

trojan ledge

Apr 16, 2013
Run the after.bat file then factory reset. (That's what it should be doing) so what was did you do differently this time?

I uninstalled shttps & redownloaded it. Reinstalled then re-configured shttps. Was up all night, so it probably took pity on me.
Thanx so much, Swetnes, 4 ur help. I really appreciate it Bro.
1 more question tho, do I need to dd if all the image files in the other thread? I didn't run 'after.bat' during the bootlooping, so I forced restart of the phone & I tried different methods to root, but was not successful. I hope to retry this morning tho.

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
I uninstalled shttps & redownloaded it. Reinstalled then re-configured shttps. Was up all night, so it probably took pity on me.
Thanx so much, Swetnes, 4 ur help. I really appreciate it Bro.
1 more question tho, do I need to dd if all the image files in the other thread? I didn't run 'after.bat' during the bootlooping, so I forced restart of the phone & I tried different methods to root, but was not successful. I hope to retry this morning tho.

OK you need to root from ICS that should have been done before so follow these steps:
1. Install v18f from exe file
2. Root in TPSPARKY method
3. Wipe phone (cannot forget this)
4. Run keeproot.bat file
5. KDZ flash the v10 file
6. Run after.bat file when phone boot loops.
7. Wipe phone
8. Push CWM using dd command.
9. Enjoy :D

Reactions: trojan ledge

trojan ledge

Apr 16, 2013
Thanx thanx thanx to Swetnes, seems like the only 1 who cared.
I was able to follow every step to the T. Now I am running CM10. Really appreciate your help. You deserve not just a bottle of beer but a full carton. thank you :thumbup:

Reactions: Swetnes

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
Thanx thanx thanx to Swetnes, seems like the only 1 who cared.
I was able to follow every step to the T. Now I am running CM10. Really appreciate your help. You deserve not just a bottle of beer but a full carton. thank you :thumbup:

Its my pleasure :D:beer:

xZeroMancerx

Mar 19, 2013
Tuscaloosa
Is this guide a proved method for acquiring root on the lg nitro HD ? I once had a lg optimus t device and that was easily rooted with gingerbreak..anyways I might be getting a lg nitro device so I'm doing a little scanning of the forums b4 I purchase the device ? Is there anything some users of the device wanna tell me ?
Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
Last edited:

drakepayton

Apr 9, 2010
San Antonio
On step 10 noth happens when I "press any key to continue". It just closes the window. Is this normal?
Also step 15 doesn't do anything for me. Also says "press any key to continue' but then nothing happens. after I boot into the korean ROM I am not rooted so I cannot complete the process.

Last edited:

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
On step 10 noth happens when I "press any key to continue". It just closes the window. Is this normal?
Also step 15 doesn't do anything for me. Also says "press any key to continue' but then nothing happens. after I boot into the korean ROM I am not rooted so I cannot complete the process.

If you are talking about the before.bat file yes that is normal.

Reactions: drakepayton

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: I no longer support this guide, as I've not owned a nitro for at least 2 years now. It is all still accurate however, just make sure to follow the steps.
    The package is hosted on my google drive, and I have no plans to remove it, so if this thread is still up, so are the files.

Good luck!

--------------------

This guide will work for P930, P935, and P936 users.

I have merely put all the pieces together to have a concise all-in-one solution for rooting/unbricking the LGE-IPROJ. Credit is given to original contributors at the bottom of the guide.

As always, I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone by following this guide. Follow at your own risk.

I strongly suggest removing your SDCARD from the phone until step 18 since it causes the phone to boot slower and makes this process take longer.

Ensure that you have the LG USB drivers installed on your computer. If you don't they can be downloaded Here.

Foreword - This guide allows the phone to keep its correct build ID, so it hasn't got leftover data from the SU640 kdz which is flashed using the other method. We flash the experimental ICS build, root it, run keeproot, flash the p936 kdz, then run keeproot to restore root access. We then install CWM, and then we can flash ROMs to our heart's desire.

The reason we have to flash the p936 KDZ is that it overwrites the v18f secure bootloader, allowing us to flash CWM and not brick the phone.

1 - Download this package

2 - Backup your phone if you want.

3 - Extract the Unbrick Package

4 - Place phone in Download Mode (Turn off phone, then hold volume up while plugging in USB cable)

5 - Run the file - P930_UDT_v18f_04112012

6 - Set your phone to allow installation from unknown sources, and enable USB debugging.

7 - Run TPSparkyRoot.bat, following the instructions in the window.

8 - Perform a factory reset of the phone. This is done by shutting off the phone, then holding VOL DOWN + Power until the phone says FACTORY HARD RESET, then following the prompt (pressing power twice)

9 - Allow USB Debugging on the phone.

10 - Run Before.bat contained in the KeepRoot folder.

11 - In the KDZ tools folder, install msxml and run B2CAppSetup (Close the application after it has installed)

12 - Run Windows Enabler as Administrator, and press the icon in the system tray to activate it. (Windows enabler allows you to click on grayed out options to unlock them in programs. You can then set the option as you normally would.)
    yknIl.jpg
    Ha3Fo.jpg

13 - Place the phone in Download Mode (Turn off phone, then hold volume up while plugging in USB cable)

14 - Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. You need to set Type to 3GQCT, PhoneMode to CS_EMERGENCY, and point the KDZ file field to V10F_00.kdz
    (SOME PEOPLE HAVE REPORTED HAVING TO PRESS "Read Phone Info" FOR THIS STEP TO WORK!)
    0rxSq.jpg
    Dh4fr.jpg

Once these settings are enabled, hit the "Launch Software Update" button.

15 - After the update has run, the phone should bootloop on the second logo screen. While it does this, run AfterROOT.bat from the KeepRoot folder.

16 - Perform factory reset. This is done by pulling the battery, then holding VOL DOWN + Power until the phone says FACTORY HARD RESET, then following the prompt (pressing power twice)

17 - Set phone's language to english, then enable usb debugging.

NOTE: The following steps are optional. Downloading Rom Manager from the Play Store and installing CWM from there will do the same thing.

18 - Place the recovery.img file in the root directory of your phone's SD card

19 - Open cmd in KeepRoot\adb

20 - Run the following commands, while the phone is plugged in and has USB Debugging enabled
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13

21 - Accessing CWM - This is done by shutting off the phone, then holding VOL DOWN + Power until the phone says FACTORY HARD RESET, then following the prompt (pressing power twice)

Congratulations. Your phone now has CWM 6.0.1.5 installed, and you can flash any of the CWM flashable zips available for the P930 on XDA.

Edited: Added images, included more information, took corrections from posters.
    Credit
    - TPSparky for his root method
    - alexw88 for This Post
    - usercim for This Post
    - Drumist, for helping me figure out how to use this method
    FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH WINDOW 7/8:

I found a simple workaround that doesn't require modifying the HOSTS file or running the HTTP app:

1. Follow the guide on the first post of this thread and stop after step 10. (run before.bat)
    2. For installing the KDZ follow this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149211. This is the process that works in Windows 7.
    3. Continue with step 15.

I have confirmed that this works perfectly in Windows 7/8. This has been tested on multiple machines.
    I'm missing something. What benefit is there to keeping the build id?

Unsure. However, that is not the only difference. Another one I have noticed is that when turning on your phone, it will vibrate to indicate you've held the button long enough. This is something that never works after using the standard unbricking method. A Korean KDZ also means you will have a Korean baseband installed which doesn't work on the P93x devices, and you'll have to flash a new baseband at some point.

All in all, these are minor things though. I don't know if there is any major difference. This method does not require modifying your hosts file OR configuring the https.exe program, which makes it a little bit easier in my opinion.
    Thank you for this! Can any of the people who used this confirm whether or not this has an impact on the camera reboot bug in CM10?

Also wondering if it would be OK to follow this and then restore a full nandroid backup.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2