Underwater test done

Search This thread

beni8978

Sep 18, 2012
I made a underwater test with my Xperia Z in the pool and wanted to share with you all.
I can say no problems.
Submerged it deeper than 1m.(So 1m50cm)
You can't press anything on the screen when the phone is underwater.
I made the images pressing the volume rocker(Camera Zoom FX app)
If you want to ask something more about this,don't be shy.I'll answer :p
Here are some images of me and my friends
uploadfromtaptalk1367680073730.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1367679987920.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1367680135796.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1367680191570.jpg

video(sorry because it's not in landscape): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdHqqvPw7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player
new video(20.08.13): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvkABMufQfQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z

Last edited:

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
Taking underwater pictures sounds fun :) Thanks for testing it for us - lets hope Sony will include volume shutter in the next update.

beni8978

Sep 18, 2012
I think that the Xperia Z can go under the sea too(salt water) without any problems.
But,washing it after with clean water.

Reactions: Luke_dD and xchasa

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
I think that the Xperia Z can go under the sea too(salt water) without any problems.

I respectfully and strongly suggest you read with care and attention the manual that came with the XZ ad the threads written on this forum regarding water resistance.

You CANNOT take your mobile into a swimming pool. For the sake of sounding like a parrot I will again write water resistance is far from being water proof PLUS chemicals will affect the water resistance functionality as will temperature and water force regardless of depth. Take a look at some of my more detailed post on this subject, you could save yourself a fortune.

Regards.

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
I respectfully and strongly suggest you read with care and attention the manual that came with the XZ ad the threads written on this forum regarding water resistance.

You CANNOT take your mobile into a swimming pool. For the sake of sounding like a parrot I will again write water resistance is far from being water proof PLUS chemicals will affect the water resistance functionality as will temperature and water force regardless of depth. Take a look at some of my more detailed post on this subject, you could save yourself a fortune.

Regards.

Yeah, but you know, the manual is also just a guide.
The guide only gives us the conditions that the phone can/needs to handle in order to meet some certain points. For example to be water/dust resistant/proof.
The manual states that you can hold the phone under water with a depth of 1m. Well I'm 99% sure that if you held the phone 2meters under water nothing spectacular would happen, after a while tho the pressure could become too much for the phone. Same goes for the 30min mark, if you hold the phone 31minutes under water doesn't mean that it will suddenly start to leak.

And yes, I know that we're talking about sea/chemical water here, but we've seen numerous videos of people filming while they are in a pool or in an ocean/sea and nothing happened to the phone. If something might happen then it's their own fault of course.

One last note: Lets say you hold the phone under water (depth 50cm or something) after a few minutes/seconds you take your phone out of the water and you notice that your phone has water damage. So you send the device to be repaired, who do you think has going to pay for the costs of the reparation? It will be you... even though you didn't violate the the rules that were stated in the manual.

beni8978

Sep 18, 2012
@Ryland Johnson
You are right.
I readed it all.It says no swimming pool,no sea water.No submerging,nothing.
I understand what you wanted to say with water resistance.
But I was curious to find out can it go underwater in a swimming pool cause I saw some videos on youtube. ;)

Last edited:

beni8978

Sep 18, 2012
The guide only gives us the conditions that the phone can/needs to handle in order to meet some certain points. For example to be water/dust resistant/proof.
The manual states that you can hold the phone under water with a depth of 1m. Well I'm 99% sure that if you held the phone 2meters under water nothing spectacular would happen, after a while tho the pressure could become too much for the phone. Same goes for the 30min mark, if you hold the phone 31minutes under water doesn't mean that it will suddenly start to leak.

And yes, I know that we're talking about sea/chemical water here, but we've seen numerous videos of people filming while they are in a pool or in an ocean/sea and nothing happened to the phone. If something might happen then it's their own fault of course.

One last note: Lets say you hold the phone under water (depth 50cm or something) after a few minutes/seconds you take your phone out of the water and you notice that your phone has water damage. So you send the device to be repaired, who do you think has going to pay for the costs of the reparation? It will be you... even though you didn't violate the the rules that were stated in the manual.

Yes,we will pay the reparation if the water goes in the ports and make the white marks red.

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012

I can see where you are coming from and to an extent agree. Point is in your ultimate paragraph. You write the real world consequences of water ingress in the XZ. It will be the client who pays and why? Because so many of the claims will be due to genuine abuse.

With regard to the chemicals from a swimming pool and salt from the sea, of course the damage done will not be immediately obvious but over time it will be as the seals will become less and less efficient and start to perish. The XZ has an advantage over most other top end similar mobiles in that it can be exposed to a degree of water be that rain or dampness, a degree of dust also BUT the fact is the XZ is still not a commercial mobile and still needs to be treated and respected as a technical device that is still very vulnerable in many areas.

To ME to take the XZ into a shower or swimming pool is absurd? Why would a customer do that in the first place? Who uses a mobile phone IN the shower? Now one takes a shower and leaves the mobile inside the bath room and with wet hands replies that's its real strength. Its not an underwater camera either as we are seeing on this very site.

I guess we will all as customers have to pay our cash and accept the consequences of our actions. It IS a shame some abuse such a wonderful device. I think we are going to read more and more threads regarding owners having water damage with this phone. I still maintain it has been poorly marketed and Sony have given the wrong impression of the XZ's true capabilities.

Kind regards.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

@Ryland Johnson
You are right.
I readed it all.It says no swimming pool,no sea water.No submerging,nothing.
I understand what you wanted to say with water resistance.
But I was curious to find out can it go underwater in a swimming pool cause I saw some videos on youtube. ;)

I understand, there are many clips now of owners doing the most absurd things possible to the XZ like dropping a lump hammer onto it or dropping it on the floor numerous times to see how many times it can be dropped before it breaks!

As long as we understand some of these clips are taken by rather 'challenged' people then we would be best to avoid copying them .

If you look after your devices they should look after you.:)

Best advise is to treat the XZ as one would any other device of this nature and not expose it to deliberate situations where it may become damaged. If the XZ comes accidently into contact with some water it should be fine.

Rgeards

eniux

Mar 26, 2011
Enschede
With regard to the chemicals from a swimming pool and salt from the sea, of course the damage done will not be immediately obvious but over time it will be as the seals will become less and less efficient and start to perish. The XZ has an advantage over most other top end similar mobiles in that it can be exposed to a degree of water be that rain or dampness, a degree of dust also BUT the fact is the XZ is still not a commercial mobile and still needs to be treated and respected as a technical device that is still very vulnerable in many areas.

To ME to take the XZ into a shower or swimming pool is absurd? Why would a customer do that in the first place? Who uses a mobile phone IN the shower?

Though I agree with most of what you wrote, the first thing I did with this phone was make a phone call in the shower. and it still works fine, nice and clean too.

Sent from my Xperia Z

Reactions: fer2503

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
To ME to take the XZ into a shower or swimming pool is absurd? Why would a customer do that in the first place? Who uses a mobile phone IN the shower? Now one takes a shower and leaves the mobile inside the bath room and with wet hands replies that's its real strength. Its not an underwater camera either as we are seeing on this very site.

This is a debatable section. Why would someone take a phone into the shower? Well lets just leave that in the middle, some people just like to take their phones with them when they take a shower. Of course the phone doesn't get wet in those situations. I know many people that take their phones with them because they can listen to music that way, I never got why people did that, but it's just my point of view. Just like I don't see why people use their phone while they are taking a dump, it's all based on the person.
When you take the phone (non water proof) with you in the shower (Not wetting it of course) it's also bad because of the condense.

Anyways... let me get back to the story....
Why this is a debatable subject: What is the difference when rain falls on the phone and when you take a shower? Not everyone showers with hot water, and I believe that's the only reason why showering with the phone isn't advised. Taking a shower with the phone is the same as rain falling on the phone, they are just drops. 1 from a tap as the source and the other has clouds as the source.

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
You must have a weak shower. Mine would knock the phone from my hand (if I was silly enough to bring it in there), so a bit more powerful than a few droplets of rain :D

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
This is a debatable section. Why would someone take a phone into the shower? Well lets just leave that in the middle, some people just like to take their phones with them when they take a shower. Of course the phone doesn't get wet in those situations. I know many people that take their phones with them because they can listen to music that way, I never got why people did that, but it's just my point of view. Just like I don't see why people use their phone while they are taking a dump, it's all based on the person.
When you take the phone (non water proof) with you in the shower (Not wetting it of course) it's also bad because of the condense.

Anyways... let me get back to the story....
Why this is a debatable subject: What is the difference when rain falls on the phone and when you take a shower? Not everyone showers with hot water, and I believe that's the only reason why showering with the phone isn't advised. Taking a shower with the phone is the same as rain falling on the phone, they are just drops. 1 from a tap as the source and the other has clouds as the source.

What makes the difference in water resistance under all circumstances be it a submarine to the XZ is pressure and movement. I have no doubt if the XZ was used in a hurricane with xxx force winds and rain water may enter the phone? The other problem is the soap we use in the shower. This can also degrade the seals on the XZ?

I still maintain the point of all this is ones intent. Accidental water contact to a degree should be fine but to deliberately 'test' the phone is perhaps not a good idea? Its human nature after seeing some of the Sony clips to try it out but......Not for me, I keep my XZ well away from water and think of the water resistance properties as some small form of accident insurance nothing more.

Regards

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

You must have a weak shower. Mine would knock the phone from my hand (if I was silly enough to bring it in there), so a bit more powerful than a few droplets of rain :D

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Ditto.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Though I agree with most of what you wrote, the first thing I did with this phone was make a phone call in the shower. and it still works fine, nice and clean too.

Sent from my Xperia Z

Thinking about this how is it possible? Do you mean actually using the phone while in the shower under running water? The noise from the water would make it difficult to hear or be heard PLUS as soon as the speaker and microphone on the XZ get wet the performance of both are drastically reduced until they are dried out? Did you actually wash your phone, I mean like soap and hot water?:eek:

eniux

Mar 26, 2011
Enschede
---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Ditto.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Thinking about this how is it possible? Do you mean actually using the phone while in the shower under running water? The noise from the water would make it difficult to hear or be heard PLUS as soon as the speaker and microphone on the XZ get wet the performance of both are drastically reduced until they are dried out? Did you actually wash your phone, I mean like soap and hot water?:eek:

the earspeakers and microphone work just fine under the shower, I called a friend there this morning :) well obviously it depends on how you shower I guess, my head isn't underwater the whole time.

just rinsed it with water, never use soap stuff gets all greasy then ;)

Sent from my galaxy nexus

waveloom

Sep 18, 2009
Rome
I've taken my XZ in Thermal Waters in Saturnia:

http://www.termedisaturnia.it/en/

I've spent 8 hours there, i've always kept the phone with me, in everty attraction of the Termal resort, iven in depth till 5 meters,
in the hot waterfalls, in the swimming pool all the time, also in the descending course and in the pool with the mud.

I made several calls around, also playd with Internet to check email, and made several shots (i can post some).

In the evening in rinsed the phone with warm water to clean from mud and from SULFUR (there was sulfuric water).

- Perfect -

Reactions: xchasa and fangium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a underwater test with my Xperia Z in the pool and wanted to share with you all.
    I can say no problems.
    Submerged it deeper than 1m.(So 1m50cm)
    You can't press anything on the screen when the phone is underwater.
    I made the images pressing the volume rocker(Camera Zoom FX app)
    If you want to ask something more about this,don't be shy.I'll answer :p
    Here are some images of me and my friends
    uploadfromtaptalk1367680073730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367679987920.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367680135796.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367680191570.jpg

video(sorry because it's not in landscape): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdHqqvPw7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    new video(20.08.13): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvkABMufQfQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Regards.
    or even into Dante's fiery inferno itself

I would not recommend this at all, the network coverage is atrocious.
    By to opposite side, i posted that just because of people running around the forum, and posting everywhere the same post like "noo...dont put your XZ in Water...it is delicate electronic equipment...it is just water resistant..not water proof..."

That is because it is a delicate piece of electronic equipment... and no, it is not water proof... Look around and tell me at what point Sony stated that this was indeed a waterproof device. I dare you to find one piece of written evidence where Sony explicitly states that the Xperia Z is waterproof... warnings given around here are for people to stop doing stupid things with the devices (like the guy earlier in this thread who dunked his in beer or the other one where people decided to cook their Z's in Thai soup).

Probably i was incorrect about PH and Pressure

Probably?

, but i am correct when i talk about IPX certifications

I have yet to read anything you said regarding IPX... that is, other than this

IPX Certifications are serious things. Pressure is another matter, 30 minutes in one meter, means at least 10 minutes till 10 meters..

Pressure is not just another matter. Pressure IS the matter at hand...

i also doubt when i see around post of people showing water behind the screen of the phone..i dont know if that is photoshop or sort of propaganda against Sony.

0ff8fb7a_lol_que.jpg

. there are many Samsung or Apple fan all around, and still they didnt get a waterproof phone..

Neither did Sony customers...

Also because i got rain with the charging port open, and nothing passed through the screen.. just the charging port didnt work for 12 hours.

Rain should be fine. Unless you seriously messed up the seals, it should not go through. Then again, I have used most devices I have owned in the rain without issues....

and the seals i am talking about, are visible..the are over the charging port and the sim card port.. and they are the same that are inside (those "invisible" you are talking about), beside shape or size, they are same material, and they may be affected by low ph or pressure, and if they are damaged or start to be.. can be noticed by eyes.

You do realize that the ports are only a small portion of the places by which water can get through, right?

Are they the same material? I have looked far and wide and I have been unable to find this information. Not saying you are wrong, but how can you be sure?

Once again, you talk about chemistry in here... the pH is not really the issue. The issue comes from chemical compatibility (aka chemical species in contact with the seal). Let me put an example for you: most of these seals are good in the presence of some organic solvents. However, there are some of these solvents that will destroy said seals... Why do I bring this up? Organic solvents have no measurable pH.

Please, just stop arguing already. You took your phone to thermal waters and it turned out fine, good for you. You want to do it again? Be my guest, just don't come in here suggesting to others that it is safe and essentially implying that they should all try it. This is the issue I have with your original post (aside from the vast amount of misinformation you have provided).
    I definitively don't think so.

I think that to damage seals you have to keep the phone in altered PH for something like 1000 hours.

That's the time that high PH takes to melt plastic (salt at 0.5%, chloride at 0.003%, sulphur at 0.05%, and other chemicals normally in water).

That's would not occur in the entire lifespan of the phone.. as long as we are not fishes, and the exposure to water will be very limited for all of us.

I think it is safe to play with the phone in all kind of water all the time you like... i would just recommend to rinse after use and add an additional film to the screen or at least, do not remove the shatterproof film, as long as salt or chloride may affect glass clarity with time and time, xpecially if you take the phone to the sea all the summer.

IPX Certifications are serious things. Pressure is another matter, 30 minutes in one meter, means at least 10 minutes till 10 meters.. but i would not recomment using this phone for deep immersion with oxygen tanks. That's what is meant to be water resistant instead than water proof.

What that guy describes is a "splash proof" phone, but family like iPhone4/5 and Galaxy S2/S3 are already splash proof..

Iphone 4S immersion test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKoMw-pMhg0

Galaxy S3 vs IPhone water test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If8G3UxeV-8

but they are not responsive to full immersion (beside, full immersion test have been passed from some of that phones) but the Sony XZ is really far from them.

Xperia Z: Chocolate test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE79SD9xtRo

I think that to damage seals you have to keep the phone in altered PH for something like 1000 hours.

That's the time that high PH takes to melt plastic (salt at 0.5%, chloride at 0.003%, sulphur at 0.05%, and other chemicals normally in water).

Uhmmm.... what?

High pH on a sulphur aqueous solution would denote the presence of an acid such as H2SO4, for Chloride, you are likely looking at HCl.... both of these are acids, which have low pH, not high (the lower the pH, the more acidic it is). Higher pH equates to alkaline (or basic) solutions. Salt in water... what salt? Salt is a very common term for a chemical compound and most of these are pH neutral. If you are talking about NaCl, regardless of how much salt you put in your "solution" your pH will still be 7. Seawater has a pH that lingers between 7 and 8... mother nature is wise as anything much higher or much lower would effectively wipe out any and all life in the ocean.

I think that to damage seals you have to keep the phone in altered PH...

No. Chemical attack could (and does occur) instantly. It is not a matter of concentration (although higher concentrations do not help) but rather chemical compatibility between the seals and the wetting chemical. Seals (unless welding is used) are normally elastomers or metal seals. The latter are normally impervious to chemical attack (SS316L and Inconel 625 for instance have high chemical resistance). Having said that, metal seals are normally used for valving, manifolds, etc. Most/all other applications requiring some form of sealing is done with rubber/elastomer gaskets. There are various types, many of which have different properties and resistance to chemical attacks of different kinds.

Exposing an elastomer to a chemical that is incompatible with it, will lead to an immediate attack. The rate of the reaction (again) will depend on chemical species, presence of catalysts (either chemical or in the form of energy such as heat) and several other factors. Also, the moment you hurt the integrity of the seal, regarless of how little, your seals become compromised and as such you are no longer protected as per manufacturer's specifications. The only solution is to change the seals in question. You do not need to let the seal dissolve completely for leaks to spring.

I think it is safe to play with the phone in all kind of water all the time you like... i would just recommend to rinse after use and add an additional film to the screen or at least, do not remove the shatterproof film, as long as salt or chloride may affect glass clarity with time and time, xpecially if you take the phone to the sea all the summer.

Sorry but this makes no sense. The film is not impervious to chemical attack. In fact, you will likely have better chemical resistance on the face(s) of your phone if you take these out as glass is impervious to most chemical attacks (including seawater and "chloride"... )

Pressure is another matter, 30 minutes in one meter, means at least 10 minutes till 10 meters.

What did I just read? The amount of pressure under water increases by roughly 1 bar for every 10 m, so you are looking at roughly 2 bars of pressure on top of the device at that depth. Where did you get the 10 min to 10 meter relationship from? It makes no sense...

Just gonna leave it at that...