New Update is here! Here is how to force pull an OTA update

Search This thread

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
go to settings, more, application manager, all, and clear data, then stop services for google services framework....then go into system update and update samsung software...... you may have to do that up to 10x with a few restarts in between

also you need to at least have 35% battery

works everytime for me!

if you notice after you clear data and go to system update, it shows that it last checked i 1969......this somehow resets the que and puts you in front of the line

Although this update fixed my red hues during black backgrounds, it added the purple blur/smearing thing when scrolling though quickly...at least we know its a software problem and not hardware

Last edited:

MoHoGalore

May 24, 2012
Farmington
Ok...

I'm going to put this here as I did in the 2 other ota threads.. would someone please grab a log of the link (or grab the download prior to try to install) if they are getting propmted so we can get this to look at?

A bunch of people talking about it, no one trying to get it?

MoHoGalore

May 24, 2012
Farmington
Not sure how. I would be happy to grab the download and get it to someone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Depends on how people are getting the prompt.. Within the other thread, one of the three anyway, there was this post by a rooted user that had the fail..

This would be ideal because it should have been sitting in /cache (as we've seen on other devices) and it could simply have been pulled.

The only other option (and it will probably not be successful without root but worth a try) would be getting a logcat (running log during process), then forcing the prompt by clearing framework in hopes of catching the download link when the prompt arrives and tapping it. Pull log, inpect it for link and go and get it manually.

KnappyRootz

Jun 22, 2011
go to settings, more, application manager, all, and clear data, then stop services for google services framework....then go into system update and update samsung software...... you may have to do that up to 10x with a few restarts in between

works everytime for me!

if you notice after you clear data and go to system update, it shows that it last checked i 1969......this somehow resets the que and puts you in front of the line

Although this update fixed my red hues during black backgrounds, it added the purple blur/smearing thing when scrolling though quickly...at least we know its a software problem and not hardware

By clearing all data in 'Google Services Framework' will this delete any of your contacts, settings, etc.?

MrTonyToca

Nov 20, 2007
Philadelphia

works everytime for me!

This used to work for my Galaxy Note 2 but doesnt seem to work for my S4. After doing it, The update doesnt go back to 1969 like my Note 2 used to......Strange....

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
By clearing all data in 'Google Services Framework' will this delete any of your contacts, settings, etc.?
nope...won't mess with anything....you may need to say yes to a few google permission prompts like accessing your location, etc...but nothing gets erased and no other changes

This used to work for my Galaxy Note 2 but doesnt seem to work for my S4. After doing it, The update doesnt go back to 1969 like my Note 2 used to......Strange....

yea that is weird...it works on mine..are you clearing data, then doing a force stop in order?

KnappyRootz

Jun 22, 2011
do you guys have developer options enabled?

I do, should I turn that off first?

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

I do, should I turn that off first?

As soon as I turned off developer options, cleared framework data and forced closed it worked. Thank you!

Do we still yet to have a change log? Hoping for some speed improvements, if even small!

xchampx13

Dec 17, 2012
Just got a notification system update downloaded, click to install. Am rooted right now if it makes a difference. Have not actually done it though

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

oscarthegrouch

Jun 19, 2011
Another possible method of grabbing files on a non rooted phone is airdroid app. Connect with PC, choose files folder. By default it will go to the SD card but you can back up and get to the phone's system files after a warning screen. If the theory works, just start poking around the file system until you find the update and download it to the computer. You can't edit anything with airdroid but you can grab files at least if you're not rooted. I've never tried this but did see it show the phone's internal files when trying to get to external storage when the default go to folder was internal storage.

84guy

Jun 25, 2008
Got my update, turned off dev mode, force stopped google services framework, and cleared data.

So much smoother

Sent from my Galaxy S4

SAShady

Jun 27, 2008
I thought the only change was the kernel lock?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

GiantJay

Jul 2, 2012
Omaha, NE

works everytime for me!

Great to hear about the black levels. I was about to drive to Best Buy to return the phone right now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

works everytime for me!

63x and no luck. I'm going to wait for a custom flash.

You guys realize the zip was posted this morning right? Download, rename to update.zip, copy to external sd, boot into recovery, install from external sd.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium
    what do you guys mean by "nag"?

Thanks!
    nope...won't mess with anything....you may need to say yes to a few google permission prompts like accessing your location, etc...but nothing gets erased and no other changes

yea that is weird...it works on mine..are you clearing data, then doing a force stop in order?
    Hmmm...it didn't seem to reset my date either...very strange.

do you guys have developer options enabled?