Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,622 Members 44,494 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Allwinner A10 ROM images,how to modify any custom ROM for any allwinner A10 device.

Tip us?

cybermate123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default Allwinner A10 ROM images,how to modify any custom ROM for any allwinner A10 device.

Hello all,I had bought a local tablet from calcutta called ICE Xtreme on which I had nightmares,but it also helped me learn n now here is it,a short yet complete guide for ur allwinner devices.

Like me,some of u might have been bored enough abt the stock rom that we decide to experiment.since allwinner CPUs can boot over USB(livesuit mode) n SD cards (phoenixcard) we think nothing will b wrong n flash without a full rom backup (i hav a script uploaded here,find it n hav a look), after the flash we find the stock ROM gone,camera,touch,wi-fi etc gone haywires n cache is mounted as SDCARD!!! Yes,those who used livesuit hav been in stuff lik this. Now I was also in one n upon reading alot I hav seen ppl editing bootloaders,using keyboard mouse,plugging HDMI(lcd broken). After a month of fiddling wit my device its time i share a shortcut that can save many hours of ur life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cybermate123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cybermate123
Old
(Last edited by cybermate123; 8th May 2013 at 12:52 PM.) Reason: Forgot to mention abt backing up the boot files to ur pc.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default Also do backup the boot n bootloader on ur pc as sumtimes flashing destroys the SD.

1st step. Backup ur bootloader n boot images. Use "cat dev/block/nandc > sdcard/dump/boot.img" to backup boot..nw backup bootloader the same way,by replacing nandc wit nanda.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cybermate123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cybermate123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Now u use adb pull method to backup ur system,etc,data(its optional,only do it if u want ur apps).n any other folder from the root of ur device.my script can help u do it instantly. Anyways,u must get the etc n system folder.
After that ur free to flash any ROM image through any method (actually,livesuits the best if u can find the img). Now after flash ur device is on right?? Does the SDCARD mount??if no then turn on USB debug,in adb shell type cd dev/block <enter> then type ls n ull see a list of nand partitions,the last one is the SDCARD in raw format.so format is by: su busybox mkfs.vfat dev/block/nand[drive letter,i.e. nandj] n then type vold.ur sdcard will mount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cybermate123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cybermate123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Now send those boot n bootloader files to SDCARD/dump. U can use mkdir or mannually make the dir n copy. Thn simply type "cat sdcard/dump/boot.img > dev/block/nandc" n same way type nanda n bootloader to restore the bootloader. Now use adb to push the files of ur stock ROM system/vendor/modules(which u backed up earlier) to tablets system/vendor/modules. N the contents of etc folder to etc on the tablet.nw reboot.
Hey!!! Its working.the LCD shift is gone,cam n wi-fi doing good,touch is not reversed or stuff. Congratulations u restored ur tablet,n now running a completely diffrent ROM on it.enjoy.

cybermate123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Heres another shortcut ive learned. U can get any update.zip n convert it to licesuit image. Just extract the system dir. Thn copy it to ur SDCARD. Make modification if needed,copy the modules u backed up.In adb shell type make_ext4fs -s -l 300M -a system <filename.img> (dir of ur system,i.e mnt/sdcard/system) it will make u a .img file which is same as the system.fex file u get when u break a livesuit image. Copy n replace the ROMs boot n bootloader.fex files wit ur backed up boot n bootloader.img (rename .img to .fex) pack the image again to livesuit format n burn it. It will install like a normal ROM. BUT MAKE SURE FILE PERMISSIONS OF READ WRITE N EXECUTE IS INTACT. ELSE ULL ENJOY HOURS OF BOOTANIMATION. but if ur stuck use the method above n flash any other ROM n fix the RON fr ur device. Guys ROM developing n editing fr allwinner devices are not easy...BTW id lik to thank user [iamabadduck] fr his actual A10 backup script. On which i made mine. Im still doing experiments. Hope this info i shared makes the readers modest enough to make the hit thanks. Bye. [ ill b around,so if any quests,ill ans them].
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cybermate123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xamien
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was very excited to see someone finally post a guide for these mysterious tablets! Thank you!

However, I ran into some difficulties trying to make use of them, but I think this has more to do with my hardware and trying to match it with the appropriate ROM and compatibility zip.

You see, I have a Kocaso M1060W. It's a very nice little tablet but trying to identify it has been difficult. As far I can tell, it's a clone of the Protab2XXL (I don't know what version) or something called the BC1077. It seems easier identifying other Allwinner A10's, apparently. I know some identifying information can be found in the build.prop file and that's how I figured out the tablets of which it is a clone. I even tried finding a database of different ImageSuit images I could try to use, but either there is none or my Google skills are suffering. Does it matter that Kocaso chose to go with PhoenixCard for flashing their tablets? Some documentation suggests the images for both are the same.

Can you help me find documentation that would help me identify the board and the hardware? Let me know what information you need from the tablet, and I will get it to you. Identification would go a long way towards me making use of your steps.

Also, a question. After the rom is flashed and you "adb shell" in, you have me trying to mount the sdcard directory via the nand block devices, and then entering "vold". It doesn't error but nothing seems to happen. Even stranger, running "mount" tells me that it's done something. Is it because most of the ROM flashes require the data wipe that I should assume I have the capability to read/write within the SDCARD directory?

konyazsolt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Allwinner A10 ghost touch (Icoo D70W, goodix chip)

Hello There!

I've got this tablet since last year, but it worked brilliantly for four minutes only.

Here is some detail:
ICOO D70W, Allwinner A10 board , 1 Gb of RAM and 8Gb storage, ICS android.
7 inch IPS display on 1024X600 resolution capacitive multitouch.

The original firmware was a nightmare, so slow , and full of chinese thing with no google play, quick decision -> get another firmware.
I've installed an actual version of AOKP ( I think it was the 9th version) and I used one of those comp file which was for an ainol tablet same hardware details.

After this , my big four minetes has started until a figured out the camera does not work.
I used another compatibility file, from a hyundai tablet same camera details, camera ok , but the touch chip went down and cannot get back, since that.

Ghost touches on the screen, but the normal touches are recognised as well.

Do you have any idea, how to reflash that touch driver chip?

attached files from the original firmware, maybe give some help:
And a video on y_-tube, with this watchcode: YfNZf2BgL3w or use "ICOO D70W ghost touch problem" keyword
Thanks in advance.

Zsolt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-19_203550.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1963807  
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2013-03-19_203530_logcat.txt - [Click for QR Code] (138.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: txt 2013-03-19_203540_dmesg.txt - [Click for QR Code] (45.0 KB, 50 views)

fsebentley
Old
(Last edited by fsebentley; 1st June 2013 at 01:31 AM.) Reason: Add information
Thanks Meter 13
Default Compatability

Quote:
Originally Posted by konyazsolt View Post
Hello There!

I've got this tablet since last year, but it worked brilliantly for four minutes only.

Here is some detail:

The original firmware was a nightmare, so slow , and full of chinese thing with no google play, quick decision -> get another firmware.
I've installed an actual version of AOKP ( I think it was the 9th version) and I used one of those comp file which was for an ainol tablet same hardware details.

After this , my big four minetes has started until a figured out the camera does not work.
I used another compatibility file, from a hyundai tablet same camera details, camera ok , but the touch chip went down and cannot get back, since that.

And a video on y_-tube, with this watchcode: YfNZf2BgL3w or use "ICOO D70W ghost touch problem" keyword
Thanks in advance.

Zsolt
If you could Post an lsmod from both the Working Firmware and the Non-Working I will take a swing at answering your question...The problem is likely one compat file is installing drivers for one of Your pieces of hardware and not the other and the other compat file is istalling the driver for the other piece but not the One... confusing sounding...
But Bottom Line is If I had the Lsmod from the working Hardware and the 2 compatability files you tried I could likely alter one of the compatability files to cover All of your hardware.

Or better yet pull the Bootloader.img and the Boot.img out of your Tab and send them to me...
you can do this by opening a cmd window from a directory where you wish to store the .img files then type the following :

adb shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nandc > /mnt/sdcard/nandc-root.img" (Press enter Key)
adb pull /mnt/sdcard/nandc-root.img (Press enter Key)

That will give you the Boot.img (named nandc-root.img)

adb shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nanda > /mnt/sdcard/nanda-bootloader.img" (Press enter Key)
adb pull /mnt/sdcard/nanda-bootloader.img (Press enter Key)

That will give the bootloader.img (named nanda-bootloader.img)

send those from both your OEM Rom that is working and the Target Rom you wish to make work .... from that I can either write a compat patch for it or send back the edited ones from your Target Rom (the one you wish to work)

cybermate123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Srry i cudnt keep my promise of being around. Had been pretty busy looking for stock JB ROMs in livesuit format. Found some. Some worked n some didnt. Will abt the touchscreen issue if that Rom has a focaltech ftx_5x touchscreen its broken. U hav to compile it again leaving out the multitouch part in a header file. Do a google search. There r alot of articles. N abt da nand part well not all roms break the internal SD partition. The busybox thing u do only when ur internal cards dont mount. It will NOT WORK FOR A MICROSD IF U HAV ONE. Its generally mounted as extsd.

btiu
Old
(Last edited by btiu; 4th June 2013 at 08:30 AM.) Reason: my previous post lacks info..
Thanks Meter 23
Sign Try reading from here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konyazsolt View Post
Hello There!

Here is some detail:

Thanks in advance.

Zsolt
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1520943
It's a thread about the allwinner A10 or EKEN T01A.. it shows how to reflash to original and updated EKEN firmwares via livesuit. And also i think they mentioned something about touchscreen issues. Hope it helps

Tags
allwinner a10, bootloader, custom rom, images, livesuit