Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 50,913 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root for Asus Fonepad

Tip us?

jae hoon
Old
(Last edited by jae hoon; 13th May 2013 at 10:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, i received one Fonepad from Hong Kong. It is TW version.

However, since i turned on it the signal bar is blank, is not a "No SIM card" icon with "X". The pad does not even detect a single network. In Settings i choose the options, > Select network...error, Search...error, Update software...error.

So why i am posting in this thread? I tried a literally dozen times to update the 3.1.11 downloaded from the ASUS website by droidboot but i got always a Fail message. I changed so many times the names of the zip file. I tried ASUS_BUNDLE and it just made a factory reset. I also tried ME371MG_UPDATE.zip and ME371MG_SUPDATE.zip. Nothing but errors

I am willing to receive opinions or any idea to restore the real first factory version or 3.1.16 update.

Any help will be appreciate!

UnicornKaz
Old
(Last edited by UnicornKaz; 13th May 2013 at 10:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae hoon View Post

However, since i turned on it the signal bar is blank, is not a "No SIM card" icon with "X". The pad does not even detect a single network. In Settings i choose the options, > Select network...error, Search...error, Update software...error.

So why i am posting in this thread? I tried a literally dozen times to update the 3.1.11 downloaded from the ASUS website by droidboot but i got always a Fail message. I changed so many times the names of the zip file. I tried ASUS_BUNDLE and it just made a factory reset. I also tried ME371MG_UPDATE.zip and ME371MG_SUPDATE.zip. Nothing but errors

I am willing to receive opinions or any idea to restore the real first factory version or 3.1.16 update.

wait... a little confusing about your post..

"restore to the real first factory of v3.1.16 " ??
Your comes with v3.1.16 ?? Mine comes with v3.1.11 !!

~~~
"you tried a literally dozen times to update the 3.1.11 downloaded from the ASUS website ??"

the update firmware from Asus is version 3.1.16 !!! not v3.1.11 ( if you do have v3.1.11 TW SKU please let me have it as I want to go back !! )

I think you might have download the wrong SKU !!

and in order to make cellular network works... you have to manually add "APN" that matched your carrier !! ( can't just throw a SIM in there & expect it to work )

also... best to download the file from a regular PC ( *.zip format & inside there is a *.raw file )
and download this file for instructions on how to update !

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...Fonepad_V2.pdf

jae hoon
Old
(Last edited by jae hoon; 13th May 2013 at 11:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornKaz View Post
wait... a little confusing about your post..

"restore to the real first factory of v3.1.16 " ??
Your comes with v3.1.16 ?? Mine comes with v3.1.11 !!

~~~
"you tried a literally dozen times to update the 3.1.11 downloaded from the ASUS website ??"

the update firmware from Asus is version 3.1.16 !!! not v3.1.11 ( if you do have v3.1.11 TW SKU please let me have it as I want to go back !! )

I think you might have download the wrong SKU !!
Hi.

As i can understand which SKU do i have to use for TW is this one, you also can download it from:

https://www.asus.com/support/Downloa...%20Fonepad/32/

Version V3.1.11(CHT)
Description ASUS Fonepad Firmware: V3.1.11 (for CHT SKU version only)
Steps of update:
1. Check the software version of your ASUS Fonepad *
2. Download the ASUS Fonepad Firmware: V3.1.11 (for CHT SKU version only) and Update version of SOP (from “Manual” Item)

At least thats what the file says "3.1.11" for TW version. Seems like is better to stay in this one but i want to try to fix the error.

[QUOTE/ and in order to make cellular network works... you have to manually add "APN" that matched your carrier !! ( can't just throw a SIM in there & expect it to work )

.....APN is not really what you are saying cause setting it allows the device to connect to data services like GPRS, HSDPA, etc....but with no network detected it cannot even save it.

also... best to download the file from a regular PC ( *.zip format & inside there is a *.raw file )
and download this file for instructions on how to update !

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...Fonepad_V2.pdf[/QUOTE]

So you are advicing me i need to put the .zip file downloaded in the root of SD card and thatīs all?. Not working. Following the instructions you sent me (i already have it)? Not working either putting the .raw file in the SD card root.

Any other ideas?

UnicornKaz
Old
(Last edited by UnicornKaz; 13th May 2013 at 11:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
So you are advicing me i need to put the .zip file downloaded in the root of SD card and thatīs all?. Not working. Following the instructions you sent me (i already have it)? Not working either putting the .raw file in the SD card root.

Any other ideas?
follow instruction shown in the PDF file !!

it said to extract the *.raw file and so on..etc

have to push & hold buttons in certain order...etc

I did it with v3.1.16 TW SKU and I was successful ...wish I didn't though ( read my other posts in this thread )... the new v3.1.16 broke the flash viewing ability !!

BTW... you have not answer my questions....did you used the wrong SKU to begin with ?? if you did...that might be why you're having problems..!!

You wroted v3.1.11 CHT in the last post !!! that is NOT for TW !!!

and as stated in this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=60

They pulled the TW & JP v3.1.16 !!!

what version do you have when you bought it ?? should already been v3.1.11 ... so why update ??

nerotNS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 393

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Ehm where do you live? It could be a baseband thing because it's from Honk Kong. It's like some USA phones don't work in Europe unless they are a WW version. If that is the case you should talk to ASUS about this problem and see what will they say. If you're from USA or Canada you can use their live chat support. If not then best and fastest way to get to them is the international ASUS page on Facebook.

Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium
My devices:

jae hoon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
follow instruction shown in the PDF file !!

it said to extract the *.raw file and so on..etc

have to push & hold buttons in certain order...etc

I did it with v3.1.16 TW SKU and I was successful ...wish I didn't though ( read my other posts in this thread )... the new v3.1.16 broke the flash viewing ability !!

BTW... you have not answer my questions....did you used the wrong SKU to begin with ?? if you did...that might be why you're having problems..!!

You wroted v3.1.11 CHT in the last post !!! that is NOT for TW !!!

and as stated in this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=60

They pulled the TW & JP v3.1.16 !!!

what version do you have when you bought it ?? should already been v3.1.11 ... so why update ??
Ok.

When i downloaded the CHT file, i found that file contains this this name: ME371MG_all_TW_user_V3.1.11_CHT....so thats why i was asuming that i had TW file.

If the file is not really TW maybe thats why i have the error message.

thats right i am in 3.1.11...why update? due i think if i update the firmware i will fix the network connection error. Right now it is just a mere Memo Pad not a Fonepad.

I prefer losing Flash browsing instead of losing the possibility to make calls and connect to 3G.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerotNS View Post
Ehm where do you live? It could be a baseband thing because it's from Honk Kong. It's like some USA phones don't work in Europe unless they are a WW version. If that is the case you should talk to ASUS about this problem and see what will they say. If you're from USA or Canada you can use their live chat support. If not then best and fastest way to get to them is the international ASUS page on Facebook.

Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium
Hi.

i am from Mexico.

I always bought new devices from a very good ebay seller. Until now i didnt have any problem for over twelve different models from there.

I very strange. I will try to update and if the problem keeps i will contact to ASUS US, unfortunately Mexico does not have ASUS representative dealer.

Not even the 4 carriers sells this manufacturer. Only computers and tablets.

UnicornKaz
Old
(Last edited by UnicornKaz; 14th May 2013 at 12:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Ok.

When i downloaded the CHT file, i found that file contains this this name: ME371MG_all_TW_user_V3.1.11_CHT....so thats why i was asuming that i had TW file.

If the file is not really TW maybe thats why i have the error message.

thats right i am in 3.1.11...why update? due i think if i update the firmware i will fix the network connection error. Right now it is just a mere Memo Pad not a Fonepad.

I prefer losing Flash browsing instead of losing the possibility to make calls and connect to 3G.
they have since pulled the TW & JP updates ( v3.1.16 )

but a quick google search and I found it for you !!

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...er_VER3116.zip

try that and report back !!

That is what I have currently ! FOR TW SKU only !!

considered yourself lucky you didn't hard brick your device by using CHT instead of TW !!

my v3.1.11 & after v3.1.16 both works fine in Canada...no problems with network connection... you should find out what band your carrier operates on... if the hardware of the fonepad does not have that band... no matter what firmware you load...IT'S NOT GOING TO HELP !!

BTW... when you first setting things up ... after the language selection...the 3rd page is where you setup the fonepad to either be ( network & wifi or wifi only )...I wondered if you might have gone wrong there !!

factory reset & start over !! ?

here are the spec of the ME371MG (fonepad with rear camera )
http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_fonepad-5329.php

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
The Following User Says Thank You to UnicornKaz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jae hoon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
they have since pulled the TW & JP updates ( v3.1.16 )

but a quick google search and I found it for you !!

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...er_VER3116.zip

try that and report back !!

That is what I have currently ! FOR TW SKU only !!

considered yourself lucky you didn't hard brick your device by using CHT instead of TW !!

my v3.1.11 & after v3.1.16 both works fine in Canada...no problems with network connection... you should find out what band your carrier operates on... if the hardware of the fonepad does not have that band... no matter what firmware you load...IT'S NOT GOING TO HELP !!

BTW... when you first setting things up ... after the language selection...the 3rd page is where you setup the fonepad to either be ( network & wifi or wifi only )...I wondered if you might have gone wrong there !!

factory reset & start over !! ?

here are the spec of the ME371MG (fonepad with rear camera )
http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_fonepad-5329.php

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
Thanks for your help.

I am downloading the firmware tomorrow i will go back to office and try once again.

Yes, thanks that i did not bricked yet...nobody knows for sure . hehe

Regarding to network bands there should not be any problem cause here in Mexico Telcel-Iusacell-Movistar are the same as ex. AT&T or Verizon (in GSM international mode).

Let me try and maybe that can help.

jae hoon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So sad.

After updating to 3.1.16 same network problem.

I am sending back to seller.

Regards.

skalagix
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I was pushed a 3.1.17 update so I'm sure they fixed the past dilemma on 1.16 Anyways besides this root thread being hijacked any new ideas? Back when the Orange San Diego was first rooted, some guy used Binarys script and modified it a bit to get the root in, but the x86 architecture required a different version of busybox. http://www.modaco.com/topic/358242-h...our-san-diego/

Tags
fonepad, root