Media capabilities?

Search This thread

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
I am just using the stable build listed on xbmc.org/download. I just clicked on the Android download link. The file name is xbmc-12.2-Frodo-armeabi-v7a.apk but I will give that a try now. Should I uninstall the current apk or just override?

On a side note, I am using a PS3 controller wirelessly with the Ouya, so I am slowly liking the system more and more. I'll report back in a few after I update xbmc.
Careful, the link you pointed to does not have HW accleration.

Alpha builds with HW acceleration will have "stagefright" in the name. This is the latest Alpha build with HW acceleration that you should install:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds...f76-Gotham_alpha2_stagefright-armeabi-v7a.apk

It's probably safest to uninstall XBMC, as I don't know how the alpha builds interact with the release build. But if you're feeling lucky, you can try just installing it right on top of the existing one. I've been installing the alpha builds on top of each other and it works fine.

oreste191

Apr 10, 2011
San Francisco
Oreste, are you using the libstagefright Android version of XBMC? Because from your description it doesn't sound like it.

XBMC has an alpha build that enables hardware acceleration on Android.

Try the Gotham Alpha 2 build from April 3rd. http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/

It should decode 1080p mkv files smoothly. It works very well on my Nexus 7, which is running a slower version of the Tegra 3 chip that powers the Ouya.

Let us know your results.

Cheers

I downloaded the build you recommended and the lag for MP4 videos stopped completely. However, a lot of the movie that I have downloaded won't stream from my computer. If I drag place them in the system's memory it will, but not over wifi or LAN. I disabled the firewall on my computer and router and still no dice.

It plays some MKV files but those still lag over wifi. I haven't tried to load them on the system because they are over 5gb. Any other suggestions?

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
I downloaded the build you recommended and the lag for MP4 videos stopped completely. However, a lot of the movie that I have downloaded won't stream from my computer. If I drag place them in the system's memory it will, but not over wifi or LAN. I disabled the firewall on my computer and router and still no dice.

It plays some MKV files but those still lag over wifi. I haven't tried to load them on the system because they are over 5gb. Any other suggestions?
What WiFi connection do you have? I can play up to ~10GB movies over WiFi 802.11N on my phone without any lag. Higher bandwidth/file sizes will pause to "buffer" every couple of minutes...

Performance should be better over the 100Mb LAN connection.

Last edited:

oreste191

Apr 10, 2011
San Francisco
What WiFi connection do you have? I can play up to ~10GB movies over WiFi 802.11N on my phone without any lag. Higher bandwidth/file sizes will pause to "buffer" every couple of minutes...

Performance should be better over the 100Mb LAN connection.

I am using N on a linksys e3000. I also keep getting this error saying "the cache is full.." I went to the setting looking for some sort of cache setting but could find it. I am trying to use the PS3 Media server app on the mac but it couldn't communicate well with the Ouya. Now I'm using Divx's built in dnla server and it seems to be streaming more movies but the 1080p or larger files generate the cache is full error.

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
I am using N on a linksys e3000. I also keep getting this error saying "the cache is full.." I went to the setting looking for some sort of cache setting but could find it. I am trying to use the PS3 Media server app on the mac but it couldn't communicate well with the Ouya. Now I'm using Divx's built in dnla server and it seems to be streaming more movies but the 1080p or larger files generate the cache is full error.
Hmm. Both of those sound like potential issues.

DLNA is severely limited in what it can transmit. Not sure about the PS3 media app, but again, it sounds like you're going through an intermediate server.

The BEST option is to just share your media folder to your internal network.

Once you do that, in XBMC you add the share, and then it should play anything.

Reactions: oreste191

oreste191

Apr 10, 2011
San Francisco

DLNA is severely limited in what it can transmit. Not sure about the PS3 media app, but again, it sounds like you're going through an intermediate server.

Ya, I figured that much because like I said earlier when I load the movies onto the Ouya's memory they play fine. I just wanted to stream the larger MKV files since they would take up all the memory. Also the Ouya doesn't support external storage (yet..). I tried setting up the apple AFP server but I read somewhere they don't play nice with XBMC. I then switched to sharing file via SMB but the movies won't open. All in all I just think the Ouya is having a hard time communicating with macs.

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
Ya, I figured that much because like I said earlier when I load the movies onto the Ouya's memory they play fine. I just wanted to stream the larger MKV files since they would take up all the memory. Also the Ouya doesn't support external storage (yet..). I tried setting up the apple AFP server but I read somewhere they don't play nice with XBMC. I then switched to sharing file via SMB but the movies won't open. All in all I just think the Ouya is having a hard time communicating with macs.
Try this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=SMB/Mac

Otherwise, your best bet is to get support on either the Ouya or XBMC forums.

Bragabondio

Aug 6, 2010
I got my Ouya yesterday. Like many of you, I backed the kickstarter to have a game console where I can play old NES SNES roms and watch and stream movies. As of this date I don't think the console is ready for prime time. In my two days of using it here are my pros and cons:

Cons

1. Unable to power unit on/off via the controller like the PS3/XBOX360
  2. Limited launch apps and games
  3. (currently) Does not support USB storage/expansion
  4. Choppy frame rate while watching MP4 videos (via XBMC). Unbearable streaming of MKV files
  5. Cumbersome method of sideloading apps (if you're not familiar with adb)
  6. Controller sticks and it feels really cheap.

Like all new technology I believe it will get better with time but I don't think it would ever handle MKV files smoothly :(

external USB
I got my OUYA yesterday and it does support external USB disk and USB hubs (I installed total commander and my externally powered and connected to USB hub disk is accessible under USB disks)

sideload of apps
not more difficult than any ADB use. Another option is to copy your aps to usb stick/drive and after installing a file manager such as Total commander and install them from there. Another option, before the Google play is hacked into OUYA is to use the Amazon store I installed it and added Netflix from there. Seems to work

controler
I use mini wireless keyboard with touch pad and wireless mouse and both work well. My only issue is that since the keyboard is not Android specific it does not have the hardware keys for Home, Menu and Search.

Reactions: oreste191

oreste191

Apr 10, 2011
San Francisco
external USB
I got my OUYA yesterday and it does support external USB disk and USB hubs (I installed total commander and my externally powered and connected to USB hub disk is accessible under USB disks)

sideload of apps
not more difficult than any ADB use. Another option is to copy your aps to usb stick/drive and after installing a file manager such as Total commander and install them from there. Another option, before the Google play is hacked into OUYA is to use the Amazon store I installed it and added Netflix from there. Seems to work

controler
I use mini wireless keyboard with touch pad and wireless mouse and both work well. My only issue is that since the keyboard is not Android specific it does not have the hardware keys for Home, Menu and Search.

Cool, you must be lucky. Because mine does not support USB (NTFS or exfat) sticks. I've tested a mouse, PS3 controller and my table via bluetooth for keyboard and they all work except for the external storage.

Here is what they told me when I wrote support:

"Hi Ori,

From what I understand the OUYA does not currently read from thumb sticks and it is not a planned feature at the moment, however we are constantly looking at demand from gamers to see which features to implement and I will be sure to let the team know of your feedback. In the meantime, you can connect the console directly to your computer and drop files into the download folder of the OUYA. Hope this helps!

Best,

- Chris
OUYA"

This is also listed on their faq on their website at http://www.ouya.tv/support/
"How can I add more storage?

This is not available yet…but soon, you will be able to expand the 8gb internal flash storage via our USB port."

So consider your self lucky!

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

external USB

sideload of apps

controler

Ok, never mind, I installed the app you recommend and I am able to browse the content of the USB Stick. It's strange because when you go under Manage>System>Advance>Storage>SD Card it doesn't list the usb stick but once launch total commander app or ES File Explore it works. Thanks for the tip.

billouetaudrey

Aug 25, 2008
external USB

sideload of apps

controler

Or other solution :

Install File Manager, and add SMB hote
On your computer, " partage " your apk folder

Or, always with file manager, add Dropbox
On your computer, upload apk to dropbox

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer avec Tapatalk

tennisbgc

May 27, 2013
Been playing around with my ouya for about a week, using the stagefrieght build most stuff seems to stream fine over smb but I do notice skipping forward with 1080p is very slow and sometimes crashes xbmc 720p I haven't seen this issue, with that said if I play the same 1080p file from a harddrive formatted to ntfs skipping forward is much improved.One movie I Mama framestor 1080p quit about 25min into the movie over smb but local was fine. I guess thats why they call them alpha :). I really wish they would map a pause/play button to the ouya controller right now its a 3 step process 1. turning the controller back on 2. hitting the O button to bring up the osd controls 3. navigating to the pause button and pausing it.

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
Been playing around with my ouya for about a week, using the stagefrieght build most stuff seems to stream fine over smb but I do notice skipping forward with 1080p is very slow and sometimes crashes xbmc 720p I haven't seen this issue, with that said if I play the same 1080p file from a harddrive formatted to ntfs skipping forward is much improved.One movie I Mama framestor 1080p quit about 25min into the movie over smb but local was fine. I guess thats why they call them alpha :). I really wish they would map a pause/play button to the ouya controller right now its a 3 step process 1. turning the controller back on 2. hitting the O button to bring up the osd controls 3. navigating to the pause button and pausing it.
Do you have a AC3/DTS receiver that you can test multi-channel audio from the Ouya?

GizmoTheGreen

Jun 13, 2010
Ouya
Google Nexus 5
Cool, you must be lucky. Because mine does not support USB (NTFS or exfat) sticks. I've tested a mouse, PS3 controller and my table via bluetooth for keyboard and they all work except for the external storage.

Here is what they told me when I wrote support:

"Hi Ori,

From what I understand the OUYA does not currently read from thumb sticks and it is not a planned feature at the moment, however we are constantly looking at demand from gamers to see which features to implement and I will be sure to let the team know of your feedback. In the meantime, you can connect the console directly to your computer and drop files into the download folder of the OUYA. Hope this helps!

Best,

- Chris
OUYA"

This is also listed on their faq on their website at http://www.ouya.tv/support/
"How can I add more storage?

This is not available yet…but soon, you will be able to expand the 8gb internal flash storage via our USB port."

So consider your self lucky!

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Ok, never mind, I installed the app you recommend and I am able to browse the content of the USB Stick. It's strange because when you go under Manage>System>Advance>Storage>SD Card it doesn't list the usb stick but once launch total commander app or ES File Explore it works. Thanks for the tip.

I think that's because the OUYA doesn't mount it where it should be, androids detection for media looks in /storage/sdcard0-1-2-3 etc.
on for example an android tablet connected usb should appear as /storage/sdcard(nextnumber). if I recall correctly.

but on the ouya it gets mounted at a different place... forgot which but I'm sure you know, since you've been using it.
media/usb0 or something.

lorddunlow

Mar 17, 2011
Sorry for the delay. Tested last night with most recent libstagefright build of XBMC. No joy on the burn for multichannel audio yet. Apparently someone on the XBMC forums reports it works if you route through a TV with ARC.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: oblique1

oblique1

Mar 7, 2013
Perth
Thanks for the reply mate. Any idea if it's OUYA's hardware restricting this or if it's simply just a software/firmware based issue? Ie, likely to be resolved in the (hopefully near) future.

I will be buying a new TV soon anyway so I'll likely make sure it has an ARC anyway. Cheers :)

Kaos2K

Jun 3, 2013
Has anyone played multi-channel audio files correctly with XBMC? I can't get surround sound on DTS/Dolby 5.1 files no matter what setup i try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Worked well. Thank you. Yet, I couldn't access my external hard drive using Samba, only the internal SD. Does anyone have found a solution? Can't imagine I am the only one searching for this convenience.
    You have to use the developers version of the samba file sharing app and modify a file this article explains it all http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1383 . Though I actually noticed that I get better transfer speeds using ftpdroid but I like having both options.
    Cons

1. Choppy frame rate while watching MP4 videos (via XBMC). Unbearable streaming of MKV files

Like all new technology I believe it will get better with time but I don't think it would ever handle MKV files smoothly :(
    Oreste, are you using the libstagefright Android version of XBMC? Because from your description it doesn't sound like it.

XBMC has an alpha build that enables hardware acceleration on Android.

Try the Gotham Alpha 2 build from April 3rd. http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/

It should decode 1080p mkv files smoothly. It works very well on my Nexus 7, which is running a slower version of the Tegra 3 chip that powers the Ouya.

Let us know your results.

Cheers

I got my Ouya yesterday. Like many of you, I backed the kickstarter to have a game console where I can play old NES SNES roms and watch and stream movies. As of this date I don't think the console is ready for prime time. In my two days of using it here are my pros and cons:

Cons

1. Unable to power unit on/off via the controller like the PS3/XBOX360
    2. Limited launch apps and games
    3. (currently) Does not support USB storage/expansion
    4. Choppy frame rate while watching MP4 videos (via XBMC). Unbearable streaming of MKV files
    5. Cumbersome method of sideloading apps (if you're not familiar with adb)
    6. Controller sticks and it feels really cheap.

external USB

sideload of apps

controler
    Sorry for the delay. Tested last night with most recent libstagefright build of XBMC. No joy on the burn for multichannel audio yet. Apparently someone on the XBMC forums reports it works if you route through a TV with ARC.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta