Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[HOW-TO] Wireless Charging Car Dock for Galaxy S4 ***Updated: 7/31***

OP open1your1eyes0

3rd May 2013, 08:57 PM   |  #1  
open1your1eyes0's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,387
 
2,297 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More

Hey guys,

So if anyone you follow me closely, you guys will know that I'm a big fan of wireless charging accessories (especially when it comes to making things universal). Being the big supporter that I am, I have wireless charging pads in multiple locations employed as I am trying to go completely cable-less. However, there has always been one thing missing that would be able to truly make this wireless charging experience complete; and that is a Wireless Charging Car Dock.

Well luckily ladies and gentleman, after hours of searching, I have found us a great solution to that problem!

This is a combination of a product that is brought to you by one of our own members here at XDA: Original Thread Here

This is called the Owl Carpad Qi Wireless Charging Car Mount - Sale Link for Galaxy S III



In addition with another product:

This is called the Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (confirmed with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
Or another listing of Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (thinnest with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
Or official Samsung Galaxy S4 Wireless Charging Back Cover - Black or White



The great thing about this wireless charging receiver/insert is that you can use ANY battery cover with it (stock, flip cover, S-View cover, etc...) and the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad should be compatible with the Galaxy S4.

If anyone wants this solution, I have currently purchased the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad and preordered the Galaxy S4 wireless charging kit and will be testing as soon as I receive it and will be sure to let you guys know but I am quite confident that these will be compatible.

Please feel free to voice your comments/question below.
Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 31st July 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added project
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2013, 10:13 PM   |  #2  
KryptosXLayer2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 292
 
1,284 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Donate to Me
More
Looking forward to the review! Make sure you include a long drive in it running GPS and see if it charges up the phone or loses battery - I really want to love wireless charging, but it seems like it's just limited to home use right now because it will only do 1A and this phone really does need 2A to get it charged!
3rd May 2013, 10:39 PM   |  #3  
open1your1eyes0's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,387
 
2,297 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptosXLayer2

Looking forward to the review! Make sure you include a long drive in it running GPS and see if it charges up the phone or loses battery - I really want to love wireless charging, but it seems like it's just limited to home use right now because it will only do 1A and this phone really does need 2A to get it charged!

Definitely, I will likely be using this as a daily driver so will let you guys know.
3rd May 2013, 10:50 PM   |  #4  
TeknoGodz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 49
 
177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0

Definitely, I will likely be using this as a daily driver so will let you guys know.

Cant wait! If it actually charges while screen is on and GPS and Mobile Data is being used I will definitely do this in my car!
16th May 2013, 10:13 PM   |  #5  
open1your1eyes0's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,387
 
2,297 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Found a new link for a Samsung Galaxy S4 Receiver that is currently available! - Link (Added to OP)

16th May 2013, 10:45 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
The pad insert on ebay says its 500mA. Is that normal for qi pads?

Do u think that higher ones would be available later?



Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
16th May 2013, 11:12 PM   |  #7  
open1your1eyes0's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,387
 
2,297 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demusss

The pad insert on ebay says its 500mA. Is that normal for qi pads?

Do u think that higher ones would be available later?



Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

500mA is a little bit on the low side but I think they put that there as a general estimate. I see another sale put one of the same but rated in description 500mA to 700mA. See Here

There's also this one but can't tell what they rate it for.
21st May 2013, 05:41 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
How thick of case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0

Hey guys,

So if anyone you follow me closely, you guys will know that I'm a big fan of wireless charging accessories (especially when it comes to making things universal). Being the big supporter that I am, I have wireless charging pads in multiple locations employed as I am trying to go completely cable-less. However, there has always been one thing missing that would be able to truly make this wireless charging experience complete; and that is a Wireless Charging Car Dock.

Well luckily ladies and gentleman, after hours of searching, I have found us a great solution to that problem!

This is a combination of a product that is brought to you by one of our own members here at XDA: Original Thread Here
In addition with another product by a company called WiQiQi: Original Site Here or Ebay Link Here (Added 5/16)

This is called the Owl Carpad Qi Wireless Charging Car Mount - Sale Link for Galaxy S III



This called the WiQiQi Samsung S4 Wireless Charger Set - Sale Link for Galaxy S4
Or another listing for Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver - Select Samsung S4 Receiver from dropdown



The great thing about this wireless charging receiver/insert is that you can use ANY battery cover with it (stock, flip cover, S-View cover, etc...) and the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad should be compatible with the Galaxy S4.

If anyone wants this solution, I have currently purchased the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad and preordered the Galaxy S4 wireless charging kit and will be testing as soon as I receive it and will be sure to let you guys know but I am quite confident that these will be compatible.

Please feel free to voice your comments/question below.

How thick of a case could you get away with? I am shopping for a good rugged case, I am really hard on phones.
22nd May 2013, 11:10 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
did it work
was wondering if you had a chance to try this out an if the charge is enough to keep your phone going?
22nd May 2013, 11:47 PM   |  #10  
open1your1eyes0's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,387
 
2,297 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtommy

was wondering if you had a chance to try this out an if the charge is enough to keep your phone going?

Just received my phone today, still waiting on the receiver and car dock.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
car, charging, dock, galaxy s4, wireless
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes