Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,313 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Wireless Charging Car Dock for Galaxy S4 ***Updated: 7/31***

Tip us?

open1your1eyes0
Old
(Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 31st July 2013 at 04:35 PM.) Reason: Added project
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3245

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOW-TO] Wireless Charging Car Dock for Galaxy S4 ***Updated: 7/31***

Hey guys,

So if anyone you follow me closely, you guys will know that I'm a big fan of wireless charging accessories (especially when it comes to making things universal). Being the big supporter that I am, I have wireless charging pads in multiple locations employed as I am trying to go completely cable-less. However, there has always been one thing missing that would be able to truly make this wireless charging experience complete; and that is a Wireless Charging Car Dock.

Well luckily ladies and gentleman, after hours of searching, I have found us a great solution to that problem!

This is a combination of a product that is brought to you by one of our own members here at XDA: Original Thread Here

This is called the Owl Carpad Qi Wireless Charging Car Mount - Sale Link for Galaxy S III

In addition with another product:

This is called the Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (confirmed with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
Or another listing of Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (thinnest with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
Or official Samsung Galaxy S4 Wireless Charging Back Cover - Black or White

The great thing about this wireless charging receiver/insert is that you can use ANY battery cover with it (stock, flip cover, S-View cover, etc...) and the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad should be compatible with the Galaxy S4.

If anyone wants this solution, I have currently purchased the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad and preordered the Galaxy S4 wireless charging kit and will be testing as soon as I receive it and will be sure to let you guys know but I am quite confident that these will be compatible.

Please feel free to voice your comments/question below.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KryptosXLayer2
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Looking forward to the review! Make sure you include a long drive in it running GPS and see if it charges up the phone or loses battery - I really want to love wireless charging, but it seems like it's just limited to home use right now because it will only do 1A and this phone really does need 2A to get it charged!

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptosXLayer2 View Post
Looking forward to the review! Make sure you include a long drive in it running GPS and see if it charges up the phone or loses battery - I really want to love wireless charging, but it seems like it's just limited to home use right now because it will only do 1A and this phone really does need 2A to get it charged!
Definitely, I will likely be using this as a daily driver so will let you guys know.

TeknoGodz
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0 View Post
Definitely, I will likely be using this as a daily driver so will let you guys know.
Cant wait! If it actually charges while screen is on and GPS and Mobile Data is being used I will definitely do this in my car!

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3245

DONATE TO ME
Found a new link for a Samsung Galaxy S4 Receiver that is currently available! - Link (Added to OP)

demusss
Old
Thanks Meter 9
The pad insert on ebay says its 500mA. Is that normal for qi pads?

Do u think that higher ones would be available later?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by demusss View Post
The pad insert on ebay says its 500mA. Is that normal for qi pads?

Do u think that higher ones would be available later?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
500mA is a little bit on the low side but I think they put that there as a general estimate. I see another sale put one of the same but rated in description 500mA to 700mA. See Here

There's also this one but can't tell what they rate it for.

PJ_ED
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default How thick of case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0 View Post
Hey guys,

So if anyone you follow me closely, you guys will know that I'm a big fan of wireless charging accessories (especially when it comes to making things universal). Being the big supporter that I am, I have wireless charging pads in multiple locations employed as I am trying to go completely cable-less. However, there has always been one thing missing that would be able to truly make this wireless charging experience complete; and that is a Wireless Charging Car Dock.

Well luckily ladies and gentleman, after hours of searching, I have found us a great solution to that problem!

This is a combination of a product that is brought to you by one of our own members here at XDA: Original Thread Here
In addition with another product by a company called WiQiQi: Original Site Here or Ebay Link Here (Added 5/16)

This is called the Owl Carpad Qi Wireless Charging Car Mount - Sale Link for Galaxy S III

This called the WiQiQi Samsung S4 Wireless Charger Set - Sale Link for Galaxy S4
Or another listing for Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver - Select Samsung S4 Receiver from dropdown

The great thing about this wireless charging receiver/insert is that you can use ANY battery cover with it (stock, flip cover, S-View cover, etc...) and the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad should be compatible with the Galaxy S4.

If anyone wants this solution, I have currently purchased the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad and preordered the Galaxy S4 wireless charging kit and will be testing as soon as I receive it and will be sure to let you guys know but I am quite confident that these will be compatible.

Please feel free to voice your comments/question below.
How thick of a case could you get away with? I am shopping for a good rugged case, I am really hard on phones.

jdtommy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default did it work

was wondering if you had a chance to try this out an if the charge is enough to keep your phone going?

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtommy View Post
was wondering if you had a chance to try this out an if the charge is enough to keep your phone going?
Just received my phone today, still waiting on the receiver and car dock.

Tags
car, charging, dock, galaxy s4, wireless