[DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows

Search This thread

sickvtec

Sep 26, 2010
kuala lumpur
I can't even use the MTP function but when I click the USB Debuging option on the MTP stop prompting and from the device manager shows Android ADB files

justin11141

Apr 30, 2011
Dallas
cant find anything that works for me :( i want to install ubuntu but adb doesn't work when i try to sideload in twrp :(help?

eddy4823

Jan 25, 2012
India
Google Pixel 4a
Cant install drivers on Windows 8. tried Nexus 4 toolkit 1.6 too. and also tried ADB fr dumies.exe... didnt work as wel.. cant I root my Nexus 4 ?? Help..

frontlyna

Help!

I know how to install drivers via the OP, but I want to request an .exe file that will install the drivers straight to a computer. Can anyone make a .exe for these drivers or does anyone know of an installer that has the Nexus 4 drivers?

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I know how to install drivers via the OP, but I want to request an .exe file that will install the drivers straight to a computer. Can anyone make a .exe for these drivers or does anyone know of an installer that has the Nexus 4 drivers?

Why? Is right-clicking on your device in Device Manager and then clicking "update" and "next" a few times too difficult?

Reactions: Stryder5

frontlyna

Why? Is right-clicking on your device in Device Manager and then clicking "update" and "next" a few times too difficult?

First, no that's not the issue. Second, if I were looking for this kind of response I would have expected it to come from someone other than a "mod". The reason being, is because I work on secure computers at work and if I can install the USB drivers to a thumb drive and then move them manually into the correct area on my computer I can gain access to my device. So..before you go assuming someone is looking for an "easy" way or does not know what they are doing you should probably just simply ask "why?" minus the extra bs. Thanks. So if anyone does know of this solution or can create an .exe please let me know, I would really appreciate some real help.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
First, no that's not the issue. Second, if I were looking for this kind of response I would have expected it to come from someone other than a "mod". The reason being, is because I work on secure computers at work and if I can install the USB drivers to a thumb drive and then move them manually into the correct area on my computer I can gain access to my device. So..before you go assuming someone is looking for an "easy" way or does not know what they are doing you should probably just simply ask "why?" minus the extra bs. Thanks. So if anyone does know of this solution or can create an .exe please let me know, I would really appreciate some real help.

There is no need to get defensive. You shouldn't take replies as insults when people are responding to your requests (you'll probably get more help that way) particularly if you re-read the response without the presumption that someone is attacking you or being disrespectful. If you would have stated "why" in your post instead of just saying i want it, it would have avoided questions being asked.

What is a "secure computer"? Do you mean you do not have administrator access? If so, i can't see how having a binary will help you. You could always try to use the Samsung Galaxy Nexus driver (it's an exe package). I think it may work for the N4, but I still can't see how it will work without admin rights. You can get the exe file from Samsung's website.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Stryder5

WeekendsR2Short

Nov 18, 2011
Cleveland, Tn
I already have ADB up & running thru a minimal SDK install. I've been using it for my HTC device for 2 years now. Yet when I follow the directions in the OP I can never seem to get past Windows 7 REQUIRING me to reboot before installing the new supplied device drivers with ADB functions. When I DO reboot it tells me the drivers were improperly installed so I proceed. Then thru device manager I install the proper drivers BUT I can never get a better response from "adb devices" than the serial number but showing the device offline. I SEEM to be halfway there but even with debug running it won't find my new Nexus when trying the adb reboot bootloader command. What in the world am I overlooking? I'm no dummy....but I AM baffled about what I'm missing.

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
I already have ADB up & running thru a minimal SDK install. I've been using it for my HTC device for 2 years now. Yet when I follow the directions in the OP I can never seem to get past Windows 7 REQUIRING me to reboot before installing the new supplied device drivers with ADB functions. When I DO reboot it tells me the drivers were improperly installed so I proceed. Then thru device manager I install the proper drivers BUT I can never get a better response from "adb devices" than the serial number but showing the device offline. I SEEM to be halfway there but even with debug running it won't find my new Nexus when trying the adb reboot bootloader command. What in the world am I overlooking? I'm no dummy....but I AM baffled about what I'm missing.

Are you checking the box that says delete existing drivers/software? Or are you just uninstalling? After you uninstall AND check the box to delete existing drivers, unplug the device, try rebooting, then plug it back in and see if that works.

It's important to check that box that confirms you are deleting drivers, and not just uninstalling them.

WeekendsR2Short

Nov 18, 2011
Cleveland, Tn
Are you checking the box that says delete existing drivers/software? Or are you just uninstalling? After you uninstall AND check the box to delete existing drivers, unplug the device, try rebooting, then plug it back in and see if that works.

It's important to check that box that confirms you are deleting drivers, and not just uninstalling them.
Yeah, I'm afraid I was. I think sometimes Windows is just TOO danged "helpful". LOL
I checked the box to delete them, uninstalled, replugged the device afterwards....all several times just in case. I swear I think it must have had something to do with the fact I have other drivers for another android device (HTC DoubleShot) installed on here too. I can't say for sure. It REALLY baffled my butt.

I FINALLY just gave up the ghost & did something I HATE to do. I (gulp) ....used a TOOL! The WugFresh 1.6.3 Root Tool. It had a utility in it to selectively delete the drivers I wanted to get rid of instead of letting Winders 7 decide FOR me. All is golden now.

Even so, I want to thank you for the timely response to my cry for help!

jonptr

Jun 22, 2013
Well thanks for this thread coz i was having difficulty to get detected in the toolkit by mskip while in the MTP mode. Now after following stryders instructions its workin now...

mlj11

Sep 7, 2010
Can't download. After inputting recaptcha the page just reloads. It's not a browser pop-up blocker problem on my end either.

Mottz

Jul 23, 2012
Hey,

I cant seem to uninstall the previous drivers i had, to reinstall fresh.

I installed them through a Toolkit, huge mistake going for toolkit when i had some experience with adb already, now im trying to install 4.3 factory image without a toolkit and i cant get ADB to see the device, throught the toolkit it sees the device both in fastboot and "normal mode" but when i open a cmd prompt and adb devices it either shows up offline or doesnt show up at all( i authorized the device when the adb prompt popped in android )

I had Android SDK installed way before before running the Toolkit and already had 2 other previous devices drivers installed.

When trying to uninstall, i cant see the checkbox to delete existing drivers/software, im running XP, and when i plug the device back in it asks me to update an Ethernet Controller, if i point it to the Nexus4 Drivers it fails, if i cancel and try to manually update the Nexus 4 Drivers it says they already are updated.

As of now i uninstalled the Toolkit, uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK, with no success.

Also when installing the SDK should i choose to install Google USB Driver and Web Driver? Or is it irrelevant?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Hey,

I cant seem to uninstall the previous drivers i had, to reinstall fresh.

I installed them through a Toolkit, huge mistake going for toolkit when i had some experience with adb already, now im trying to install 4.3 factory image without a toolkit and i cant get ADB to see the device, throught the toolkit it sees the device both in fastboot and "normal mode" but when i open a cmd prompt and adb devices it either shows up offline or doesnt show up at all( i authorized the device when the adb prompt popped in android )

I had Android SDK installed way before before running the Toolkit and already had 2 other previous devices drivers installed.

When trying to uninstall, i cant see the checkbox to delete existing drivers/software, im running XP, and when i plug the device back in it asks me to update an Ethernet Controller, if i point it to the Nexus4 Drivers it fails, if i cancel and try to manually update the Nexus 4 Drivers it says they already are updated.

As of now i uninstalled the Toolkit, uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK, with no success.

Also when installing the SDK should i choose to install Google USB Driver and Web Driver? Or is it irrelevant?

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Ok after reinstalling the SDK, without Google USB Drivers, rebooting PC and all that good stuff, the device is reconized both in fastboot, recovery and "normal mode", everything seems OK, but i think I still am using the Toolkit Drivers, should i keep trying to uninstall them and start fresh, or just proceed with flashing the factory image?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have windows, you will need these drivers to use ADB or Fastboot with your Nexus 4. The long method of getting this is downloading the SDK and running it. I have extracted the drivers and put it into a rar file for easy use.

Follow these steps if you haven't plugged your phone into your computer before.
    1. Download the file.
    2. Extra the files into a folder.
    3. Plug your phone in.
    4. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
    5. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.

If you already installed other drivers and they don't work for you. Download the drivers below and follow these steps:
    1. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
    2. Plug your phone into your computer.
    3. Go to Device Manager on your computer and locate your device. It will either be under "Android Devices" or "Other Devices" depending whether drivers have been installed or not.
    4. Right click on your phone and select "Uninstall."
    5. In the box that appears, check the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" then proceed.
    6. When that is done, go back to Device Manager and refresh.
    7. Locate your phone and right click to select "Update Driver Software."
    8. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
    9. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.
    10. Unplug your phone and restart your computer.
    11. Plug it back in and everything should work.

Download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?8xb50uktar8096i

Thanks to efrant for clarifying exactly how to manually select your drivers.
    Have any other ADB drivers installed? Because then you need to uninstall those:

Go into command prompt and write:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

Delete all devices including driver software in the "Android Device" section.

Then reinstall the Nexus 4 drivers.

If that still doesn't work, update the driver when connected with usb debugging on and manually add by rightclicking the device, click update driver software, then the "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list..." then "Show all devices" and then Have disk.

Then you simply point to the driver and select the "Android ADB Interface" (Or something like that) it also has driver for bootloader and composite, bootloader is for fastboot, can't remember what composite is for, but you shouldn't use those.
    please help me! why can't install driver for my phone? i had followed your tutorial, but i failed at this step! (picture)
    (my phone is galaxy nexus and of cause the driver is for the galaxy nexus too)
    As I mentioned a few post above and other times in this short thread, you need to select the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer". Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers.

I am so confused, why is installing drivers so difficult?

When I plug my phone in it tries to automatically install drivers and it fails. Then when I go to device manager it has SAMSUNG Android Phone listed and under that says Nexus 4 with a Yellow exclamation mark.

If I go to the Nexus 4 device and Update Driver Software manually and browse to the folder where I saved the drivers from this thread it just keeps trying to install and either gets stuck and doesn't do anything or it fails.

What am I doing wrong?
    You are doing something wrong.

You could always look at Google's site here. Notice the difference between "installing drivers for the first time", and "upgrading an existing driver". In your case, you need to follow the "upgrade an existing driver". Point it to the location where you downloaded the driver, either from the SDK, or or from this thread, or from 1wayjonny's driver here which works as well.