[Q] Signal issues with Samsung Galaxy S4

Search This thread
May 21, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4, but instead of enjoying my new toy , I have been busy troubleshooting a weird problem.

I am using a lyca mobile sim in my phone (lyca mobile here in Australia uses telstra as the provider) . Well the issue here is I get proper signals for a while and when I lose connectivity or lost signal usually all mobiles re-register themselves over the network. In my case I have to either re start my phone or turn my aeroplane mode on and disable it again to get back my signals.

Have tried everything I could

1. Force reboot
2. enable data roaming
3. Manually selecting Network
4.Changed my SIM card( though havent tried another provider as telstra has very good coverage here)

Appreciate if anyone can help me here or sud it be a problem with handset then will proceed with replace ment

Thanks

NBB823151

Nov 18, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4, but instead of enjoying my new toy , I have been busy troubleshooting a weird problem.

I am using a lyca mobile sim in my phone (lyca mobile here in Australia uses telstra as the provider) . Well the issue here is I get proper signals for a while and when I lose connectivity or lost signal usually all mobiles re-register themselves over the network. In my case I have to either re start my phone or turn my aeroplane mode on and disable it again to get back my signals.

Have tried everything I could

1. Force reboot
2. enable data roaming
3. Manually selecting Network
4.Changed my SIM card( though havent tried another provider as telstra has very good coverage here)

Appreciate if anyone can help me here or sud it be a problem with handset then will proceed with replace ment

Thanks

I have the S4 on the UK "3" network and comparing the signal with that I enjoyed on the S3 it is unfortunately worse.
For example I have noticed that at least 20 % more of the time I get the dreaded circle with line through saying no service and it seems very slow to reconnect, although it does.
Of course when i do get a decent signal the data speed is way better and yet to experience 4g for a few months at least.
Hope that helps a bit

May 21, 2013
I have the S4 on the UK "3" network and comparing the signal with that I enjoyed on the S3 it is unfortunately worse.
For example I have noticed that at least 20 % more of the time I get the dreaded circle with line through saying no service and it seems very slow to reconnect, although it does.
Of course when i do get a decent signal the data speed is way better and yet to experience 4g for a few months at least.
Hope that helps a bit

Atleast you get back your signals with out constantly having to monitor and re start ur phone. I have to restart my phone once I see the dreaded circle.

cold22

Jan 9, 2012
What version of Galaxy S4 are you using the 4G (i9505) or the 3G (i9500)?
If i9505, then is it the Australian version? or you import it, if you're using either the i9500 try setting up the appropriate APN from here.

http://ausdroid.net/apns/

May 21, 2013
If i9505, then is it the Australian version? or you import it, if you're using either the i9500 try setting up the appropriate APN from here.

Well its GT-I9500 model bought from kogan I am sure this must have been imported from Hong Kong. Will the APN still work?

cold22

Jan 9, 2012

Well its GT-I9500 model bought from kogan I am sure this must have been imported from Hong Kong. Will the APN still work?

Actually try this one instead.

In the Menu go to Settings -> Wireless & networks-> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> add New APN and key the following settings

Internet APN Settings:
Name : Lyca AU
APN : data.lycamobile.com.au
Proxy : <Not Set>
Port : <Not Set>
Username : lmau
Password : plus
Server : <Not Set>
MMSC : <Not Set>
MMS Proxy : <Not Set>
MMS Port : <Not Set>
MCC : 505
MNC : 19
Authentication type : <Not Set>
APN Type : <Not Set>

Reactions: ujameel@hotmail.com
May 21, 2013

In the Menu go to Settings -> Wireless & networks-> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> add New APN and key the following settings

Internet APN Settings:

Well as soon as I added the APN my internet data activated by itself, this was another problem I was facing where I was not able to get mobile dta even after turning on the data services. for my signal to be trust worthy sud I keep the data services turned on always?

May 21, 2013

Internet APN Settings:

Unfortunately even after adding the APN the signal issue not resolved. Lost my connectivity and still waiting for the signals to get back. Looks like have to restart it again. Though adding APN resolved my packet data issue

mattyg2004

Jan 31, 2013
I have a similar issue

I've switched my phone to GSM only and its been working ever since.. Not Ideal but it may help trace the issue

Reactions: badbd09

grmek

Jul 13, 2010
I had a similar issue the other day when roaming in a different country in Europe. In my home network, I've never had that issue so far.

When roaming on a particular foreign network (Orange SK), the circle would show up and stay there until reboot (30+ mins), despite being in a very well-covered area (major city center). This has happened consistently over the course of 3 days. Manual selection of the network didn't help at that point, only reboot seems to cure the issue.

Not sure what the deal is, but it seems I'll have to keep an eye on the phone when roaming.

G.

svscorp

Jul 6, 2011
I have completely same issue.

SGS4 with Lycamobile sim-card. Netherlands. GT-I9500 (imported)

Always in Roaming. And always loosing a signal as author mentioned.
I place another microsim - works all day OK. Put back my LycaMobile - the same.

I have an assumption the problem is because I crop sim-card into a micro-sim by myself (But in all phones this manually cropped sim does works).

Well I haven't found a solution yet, but I have ordered a new microsim from Lyca (already cropped). And today I gonna test it.

Will get back to you with the results :)

Darkkef

Nov 6, 2012
I Have this same issue, im in colombia with tigo as my provider the problem is that im in zones with good signal strength and suddenly i lose all off the signal ...have a i9500

svscorp

Jul 6, 2011
No, new lycamobile microsim has the same problem.

Do you guys think it can be fixed by samsung?

The second thing I noticed. That when my SGS4 loses signal, sometimes it couldn't found ANY network.
'Network mode' is disabled and pressing 'Network operators' - it displays: 'Searchig', then sometimes I can see list of operators, sometimes not.

If I see networks, I choose 'Lycamobile', signal got back with 100% signal, and then randomly looses again.

Last edited:

Darkkef

Nov 6, 2012
Ok noticing now it happens on certan spots of my house and wokplace.. in those spot i lose all signal and never get it back... have to restart havent tried turning off mobile data and then back on.
no root but flashed the cwm through odin.. the one that autoroots but havent roted yet...cause no triangle away yet..
I9500UBUAMDE is the firmware

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
Now I had the same issues sorta anyway on my i9505. But I've managed to improve the signal strength and stability by flashing a network specific modem. For instance I'm on Optus network so I've flashed the carrier modem

Sent from my Galaxy S IV

svscorp

Jul 6, 2011
Now I had the same issues sorta anyway on my i9505. But I've managed to improve the signal strength and stability by flashing a network specific modem. For instance I'm on Optus network so I've flashed the carrier modem

Sent from my Galaxy S IV

Naaah, flashing the carrier is really annoys, especially when my SGS4 loses signal randomly several times in hour :(

Btw, I've checked my Lycamobile-NL microsim at colleague's Samsung Galaxy Note II. We didn't have enough time to wait until signal will lost, but what we noticed immediately - signal in Roaming! So I have an assumption this is pair problem - samsung + lycamobile (in NL). But it is weird, cause lycamobile works perfectly on my old HTC DHD...

svscorp

Jul 6, 2011
Nobody wants to solve an issue. Samsung tells - it's mobile operator related problem. Mobile operator said this it smartphone issue.

I've checked new microSIM on different SGS and SGNote's - the same problem.

It is good I can switch my mobile operator keeping my phone number. What I actually did. But sad that I should switch from Lyca ;\

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
In my case, I can say for sure it's a Galaxy S4 issue. I've used two separate SIMs on two separate networks (AT&T in the US & Chunghwa in Taiwan), and they both see "network disconnects randomly and comes back" issue.

Key point: These are the exact same SIMs I used in my S3 previously and never saw a single disconnect.

Jimmybuckrogers

Jun 5, 2013
Same issue here, Galaxy S4 i9505, on UK Orange (EE), bought in May 2013. There is no signal in my office and after leaving I have to restart my phone to get the signal back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well i think ive just about messages everybody in this thread, and i apologies if the information is not relevant to you, or if ive sent more than one message.

Just for those of you who havent received the pm, or join the thread later, ill explain what I have had issues with, and what Samsung have not done about it.

I have had 6 S4's and 2 S4 actives, and the issues are all the same. Randomly at least once a day the phone will fail to reconnect to the network even if you return to an area with exceptional reception. You know you have an issue when the phone shows the signal indicator but with no white bars, or shows you have data but with the O with a cross through, or just shows the O with a cross through, and this doesn't change even when in that area of exceptional reception. The only way to resolve it is to restart the phone.

This is the message I have sent to everybody in this thread thus far, and if you are in the uk, i would ask that you contact samsung about it until they take it seriously.

S4 Issues, and what we need to do to get them resolved.

I too have experienced the same issue as you having gone through no less than 6 Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets, and 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Active handsets (yes it sounds unbelievable but I can assure you its true). I believe that this sample of handsets gives a pretty good indication that I have not simply been unlucky and received a handset from a faulty batch etc. I have been in talks with Samsung for the last 2 months, and while they have acknowledged to me in an email that they have managed to reproduce the issue we are all experiencing, they appear to not be taking the issue seriously enough and have given no indications that they intend to fix it. After months of promising to update myself regarding their investigation and any possible fix, they are now flatly refused to speak to me anymore about this issue, apparently sweeping it under the carpet and giving the impression that they do not intend to resolve it.

If you are in the UK, I urge you to contact the Samsung UK executive office on uk.execoffice@samsung.com and explain the issue you are experiencing. They claim nobody else other than my wife, my friend and me are experiencing it, and they don’t appear committed to fixing it. Other useful email addresses are griffiths.a@samsung.com and stanford.s@samsung.com who I believe are both the CEO and head of samsung mobile, and also the CEO in Korea o.kwon@samsung.com who has up until now failed to respond to emails. Failing this, demand that Samsung refund you for your faulty handset as the entire S4 range clearly has a manufacturing defect which samsung are unwilling to address or fix.

Internet APN Settings:
    I have a similar issue

I've switched my phone to GSM only and its been working ever since.. Not Ideal but it may help trace the issue
    I reslove problem, by sold S4 and i bought a clone and now i dont have signal issue anymore ;)
    Hello Samsung Friends ;)

Since the last update i have the following problem:
    My Samsung Galaxy S4 is on 3G Mode and get no connect.
    Only if its switching to H+ internet work.

The secound problem is similar to yours.
    Sometime there isnt any sign of Netzwork Connectivity.
    No circle, no 3g no h, nothing.

I had to turn on the plane mode tu get internet back.
    thats very very boring.

now i set the configuration from one of the writer bevore me here.
    This option in the Mobile Connections - > that the s4 isnt looking for lte.
    Now i tested it for 10 minutes and its everyting perfekt.
    But i still test it. ;)

for people who use lte its no answer.
    But if this is the problem, that would mean samsung have big problems with lte

greetings :fingers-crossed:

I am experiencing the same almost exact issues with my I9500. I have flashed between modems firmwares and so on. Still no fix.