[Tutorial] Xperia Z & ZL Bootloader Unlocking/Relocking

Search This thread

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
I Relocked bootloader with flashtool, updated to .253 firmware but now when I try to unlock bootloader using the official way, it doesn't work. Once I complete the procedure and try to reboot, it goes in a boot loop. Any clue why this is happening ?

Edit: Managed to unlock bootloader via Flashtool. After that also managed to flash Doomlord's Adv. Stock Kernel v4 and then flashed SuperSU zip file for root from recovery. I can confirm I have root,unlocked bootloader and CWM recovery.

Here are screenshots for reference.
*snip*

You might want to remove your IMEI from the screenshot.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ameygokhale

doum89

Feb 15, 2013
ehi guys, sorry for the noob question. I bought a second hand xperia Z and when I use this code *#*#7378423#*#* and go in service info-->configuration it says: ROOTING STATUS: BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED: YES...it means that it's already unlocked, isn't it? beacuse in this case I cannot lock bootloader (lost DRM yet) t.t please reply thanks!

ameygokhale

Sep 26, 2011
Pune
You might want to remove your IMEI from the screenshot.

Thanks a ton for the heads up man! Much appreciated. I had forgotten to erase it in the screenshot.:good:

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

ehi guys, sorry for the noob question. I bought a second hand xperia Z and when I use this code *#*#7378423#*#* and go in service info-->configuration it says: ROOTING STATUS: BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED: YES...it means that it's already unlocked, isn't it? beacuse in this case I cannot lock bootloader (lost DRM yet) t.t please reply thanks!

Yes that means that your bootloader is already unlocked.
I didn't get the next part of your question, are you trying to lock it and can't ? If thats the case, as Doomlord mentioned somewhere else, use the latest version to flashtool to lock it and again unlock after your have updated.

doum89

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks a ton for the heads up man! Much appreciated. I had forgotten to erase it in the screenshot.:good:

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Yes that means that your bootloader is already unlocked.
I didn't get the next part of your question, are you trying to lock it and can't ? If thats the case, as Doomlord mentioned somewhere else, use the latest version to flashtool to lock it and again unlock after your have updated.

what you didn't get is that since someone unlocked bootloader and then sold me the device, it means I lost DRM and then I can relock my BL device but warranty is gone forever t.t

SE_iCEQB

May 27, 2011
@DooMLoRD:

I just saw that flashtool is capable of relocking the bootloader.
So what exactly does that mean for DRM keys?
To my knowledge it was possible to backup the TA and keep your DRM keys safe and even restore them together with relocking the bootloader in case you reapply the backuped TA to the XZ.

Regards,
iCEQB

kgpp2293

Feb 11, 2010
Melbourne
cant get the drivers to work :\ do the fast boot thing, point it to the folder and says it cant find drivers... and the second link for the drives is suspended too.

greglord

Jul 8, 2009
Stuttgart
I really suggest to author of this topic to ADD INFO ON HOW TO BACKUP TA if you ever want to go back to LOCKED BOOTLOADER.

Not, like me, having read this topic, I just unlocked everything without backing up DRM keys and what not. So, thanks f****g alot ^^

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
I really suggest to author of this topic to ADD INFO ON HOW TO BACKUP TA if you ever want to go back to LOCKED BOOTLOADER.

Not, like me, having read this topic, I just unlocked everything without backing up DRM keys and what not. So, thanks f****g alot ^^

Yeah, because it's Doomlord's fault that you went ahead and modified your phone without fully researching first.:rolleyes:
Come on, this is a development based site. You shouldn't expect that all relevant information will be spoon fed to you. You are expected to search and read for yourself.
You can relock your bootloader without backing up your TA partition anyway, as it seems that you're suggesting that you can't. You cannot get your DRM keys back though, as explained in the OP.

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune

The reason why that info is not included is that it's still experimental... And playing with the phones TA area is VERY RISKY... The device can be hard bricked... What would u prefer? A bricked device or lost DRM?

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Hello Doom,
Can I Remove the sdcard before unlocking the bootloader as we know that unlocking bootloader formats everything..

If you mean your external SD card, then why not? I don't see anywhere in the guide that says you need an SD card in the phone, so remove it.
If you are referencing this-
For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.
Then it says the SD card of your device, which surely means the internal card. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mandarjoshiin

mandarjoshiin

If you mean your external SD card, then why not? I don't see anywhere in the guide that says you need an SD card in the phone, so remove it.
If you are referencing this-

Then it says the SD card of your device, which surely means the internal card. ;)

Hehe.. okies.. My Bad.. :p Thanks a lot.. I can unlock the bootloader then.. :D

kelvint

May 4, 2009
Two quick questions
1. Will unlock bootloader make me lost Stamina Mode?
2. Will relocking bootloader bring back the lost feature like Bravia Engine, etc?

Thank you :)

S

shadowboy23

You need to backup your TA partition first before you unlock bootloader to be able get BE2 and DRM keys back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader of the Xperia Z & ZL.

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

if you want to keep ur DRM keys, first root device and then check this out

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will BE WIPED!!!

For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

I'd add what losing DRM keys means, e.g. no more Music ID/Gracenote within the Walkman app plus probably most importantly, as asked all the time and all over the place in the T/mint forums: loss of Bravia Engine.

older Xperia devices sometimes got issues after unlock of bootloader (BRICK after FOTA update) - you have been warned

why to unlock bootloader?

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
    2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
    3. Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011/2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS ;)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done remotely on a users phone... so thanks a lot to him for helping out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]

• get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
    • download the fastboot package
    • IMPORTANT: if you are using Windows 8 you will need to enable few things to allow driver installation
    • download the latest FlashTool Xperia Driver Pack and install fastboot drivers (common) & adb drivers for this device from the list!
    • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
    • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, which should be automatically done
    • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)

1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
    2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
      First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
    3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
    4. you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if u agree click on "Accept"/"OK"/"Proceed"
    5. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
    6. You should now receive your unique unlock key via EMAIL, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
    7. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
    8. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
    9. Select 'Open command window here'
    10. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
    11. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
    12. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
    13. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
    14. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
    -Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/
    -Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
    (the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia Z)

Relock procedure is posted here
    Maybe i've some other drivers installed... but when i boot my XZ in fastboot (holding vol+ and plugging usb) nothing happens (i only hear windows sound of some peripherial attached).
    So probably i didn't installed the right drivers.
    Is there any way to move from where I'm stucked?
    Thanks for helping.

EDIT

I can see the S1Boot Fastboot driver (whit the yellow tringle) in Resources Manager but cannot update the driver even pointing to the USB_DRIVERS folder.
    Any suggestion? (I'm running WIN8 64bit)

You may need to set the drivers up using testmode in win8 x64 I have them working on mine fine

Press windowsKey + R
    type/paste
    Code:
    shutdown -o -r -t 0
    into the box, this will restart your machine in the advanced startup menu.

when it restarts choose "disable driver signing" Then install the driver manually using the "have disk" option. when you reboot again the driver should be working.

you can also permanently turn off driver signing if you want and run in test mode with the following

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

to disable all that you set the ENABLE and OFF

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
    Relocking bootloader

With the latest release of Flashtool it is now possible to relock bootloader.

Download the latest flashtool from:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162907

Important

DO NOT USE ANY FTF TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER! THOSE OLD FTFs DO NOT WORK FOR THE 2013 DEVICES!!!

before u relock bootloader u have to be on pure stock kernel (flash only the kernel.sin using flashtool), else the device WILL NOT BOOT after relock

Steps:

1. now start Flashtool and click on BLU button
    2. u will be asked to connect device in flashmode
    3. once u connect the device u will get a prompt to "Relock"
    4. click on it and when prompted disconnect the device
    Re: [Tutorial] Xperia Z Bootloader Unlocking

@DooMLoRD

Now Xperia Z cannot ROOT, very afflictive!:(

I did not follow what you mean...

The reason why that info is not included is that it's still experimental... And playing with the phones TA area is VERY RISKY... The device can be hard bricked... What would u prefer? A bricked device or lost DRM?