5,600,919 Members 42,215 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[LOKI] Bootloader hack official FAQ thread

Tip us?

djrbliss
Old
(Last edited by djrbliss; 23rd May 2013 at 05:30 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2577

DONATE TO ME
Default [LOKI] Bootloader hack official FAQ thread

I just released Loki, a set of tools for developers and users to flash custom kernels and recoveries on the AT&T and Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4.

The tool is available at:
https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

The technical details on how the exploit works are described at:
http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013...cure-boot.html

This is a support thread that I will check regularly until I decide to hand over support to the community. Feel free to ask any questions, and I may add the answers to this post. As a guideline, if it's a question that's already been answered in this thread or in the README for Loki, I will ignore it.

Does this make any permanent changes to the device?

No permanent changes are made to your device when using loki_flash. The bootloader itself is untouched. By restoring the original system, boot, and recovery images (via Odin or otherwise), the device will be in a stock state.

Can this be patched?

Absolutely. Any update that includes a new aboot will almost definitely cause your custom kernel or recovery to fail to boot without running it through loki_patch again, and if the update contains a fix for the vulnerability Loki exploits, it may permanently prevent using the tool. It's possible for Samsung to ship an update that prevents downgrading aboot to a vulnerable version, so I recommend avoiding installing any OTA updates without confirmation that it's safe.

What about the bounty?

As usual, I encourage anyone looking to donate (as part of the bounty or otherwise) to give their money to a reputable charity organization instead. If you insist on donating to me, I'm sure you can find my Paypal account somehow.

This all seems complicated. What about a step-by-step guide?

These tools are primarily intended for developers, who will be able to use them and provide ordinary users with easy ways to flash custom ROMs. Be patient, I'm sure your favorite ROM developer will come up with something for you.

I've installed a Loki-patched recovery. Can I just install regular custom ROMs now?

Any ROMs that include a replacement boot.img must be modified to include a Loki-patched boot.lok file instead. Otherwise, your phone will fail to boot until you restore a Samsung-signed boot.img or a custom boot.lok image via your custom recovery, or flash a stock image via Odin.

So this is just like kexec?

This is similar to kexec in that it works around a locked bootloader, but this approach is much more flexible and robust. Kernel and recovery developers can build their projects just as they would for an unlocked device, run the final result through Loki, and then it's ready to be flashed. No hackery and brokenness required.
The Following 372 Users Say Thank You to djrbliss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mmanjj
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

fix-this!
Old
Thanks Meter 254
is this similar to htc dev which doesn't truly unlock "s-off" the device? i assume your method just circumvents the locked bootloader? the way i read what your tool accomplishes is for us to flash a recovery and kernels but doesn't actually touch the locked bootloader status?

thanks for your work. also let the games begin!

jroyalty7
Old
Thanks Meter 355
Thank you very much!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Current Set-up:
Phone: AT&T SGS IV
Rom: Nottach Mint Jelly
Kernel: Ktoon TW JB 4.2.2
Baseband: I337UAMDL
Theme: Xposed Mod
Phones that came, flashed, and gone:
HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC HD7, LG G2X, SGSII, Motorola Atrix, Gnex, SGSIII, HTC One

If I get a million thanks my wife says I can have any phone I want! Hit thanks if you have a heart
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jroyalty7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dscottjr81
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Very much appreciated!
https://twitter.com
Devices
32GB Nexus 5. Verizon Gun Metal M8.

breakingspell
Old
Thanks Meter 63
By the time I get back from work, I'm pretty sure there'll be at least two recoveries and three roms prepared
Galaxy S4 and Nexus 7, the odd couple

Capt
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Wooooot!!! Thanks man.

Zer0_
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Awesome! Finally devs can start releasing some ROMs!
---------------------------
Phone Information
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S 4 (SGH-I337M)
Build: SKYFALL [XXUFNBE] - i337m
Android Version: 4.4 KK TW
Provider: Koodo
Previous Device: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300 (SGH-I747M)

---------------------------

RawisTheGameHhH
Old
Thanks Meter 45
hopefully someone can make a toolkit and make this a one-click unlock/root
Current Phone(s): AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to RawisTheGameHhH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LiLChris06
Old
Thanks Meter 1280
Thanks so much!

The Following User Says Thank You to LiLChris06 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]