[HOW-TO] The All-In-One Backup/Root/Flash Guide & Bootloader Support - [I747 & I747M]

Search This thread

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Does the toolkit support use in Windows 8 at this time?

Thanks.

i'm assuming you're talking about Odin?
i do not have windows 8 on my PC so i have not been able to test the procedures on that platform. i know many users have had some driver issues with W8. that may have been due to having Kies installed but i cannot say for sure. i would recommend running Odin without having Kies installed first and using the USB cable that came with your S3. you may have to run Odin as administrator.
you could try posting your question on mrRobinsons root guide

Reactions: hednik

KorGuy123

Sep 18, 2012
Barrie
Should a bootloader update section be added for the new wave of threads popping up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: xBeerdroiDx

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Continued thread maintenance

hey all. i have moved to the S4 as my primary device. because i still love the S3 and because this thread is stickied, i will continue to maintain it the best i can. if you come across a link that is no longer active or is incorrect, locate an update that i have not added or come across anything else that i may have missed, please feel free to pm me with the correct information and i'll get it updated asap. :highfive: cheers!

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
hey all. i have moved to the S4 as my primary device. because i still love the S3 and because this thread is stickied, i will continue to maintain it the best i can. if you come across a link that is no longer active or is incorrect, locate an update that i have not added or come across anything else that i may have missed, please feel free to pm me with the correct information and i'll get it updated asap. :highfive: cheers!

I'll be moving to the S4 inna bout a week myself so it's good to hear you've moved over cool:beer::beer::D

"Yer off the edge of the map Mate here there be monster's"

baib88

Jul 13, 2013
[Q] Flash Asop and Kernel in TWRP

I am a Rogers client, currently on Rooted Stock Rom 4.1.1, want to flash latest AOKP JB 4.2.2 then latest KT747 JB Kernel. this is first time I am doing it. I read thru a couple posts and youtube video. this is the procedure I think. please correct me if i am wrong, give your comments

since my sd card is not working, I want to put zip files on internal space

1) Make a Nandroid back with TWRP, which I did already, a full back up with System, Data, Root and Cache. I think this should covereverything if the new ROM does work for me
2) Wipe: here,I have a question, Do we just need to 1. do factory backup or 2. wipe system leave Data 3. Wipe system and Data, or 4. Wipe entire internal storage (means i do need sd card to do the job)?? Which way should be the safest, and less problematic in the future?
3) Flash the ROM first
4) Flash the Gapp
5) Flash the Kernel

Also, I see you can have GOO manager do all the procedure for you automaticallly with a couple click. is this recommended?

Many thanks,

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
I am a Rogers client, currently on Rooted Stock Rom 4.1.1, want to flash latest AOKP JB 4.2.2 then latest KT747 JB Kernel. this is first time I am doing it. I read thru a couple posts and youtube video. this is the procedure I think. please correct me if i am wrong, give your comments

since my sd card is not working, I want to put zip files on internal space

1) Make a Nandroid back with TWRP, which I did already, a full back up with System, Data, Root and Cache. I think this should covereverything if the new ROM does work for me
2) Wipe: here,I have a question, Do we just need to 1. do factory backup or 2. wipe system leave Data 3. Wipe system and Data, or 4. Wipe entire internal storage (means i do need sd card to do the job)?? Which way should be the safest, and less problematic in the future?
3) Flash the ROM first
4) Flash the Gapp
5) Flash the Kernel

Also, I see you can have GOO manager do all the procedure for you automaticallly with a couple click. is this recommended?

Many thanks,

when changing your devices OS from stock to aosp or from one version of android to another, its always best to do a full wipe. in your case, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (under "advanced") and format /system (mounts and storage). this will give your phone a clean slate to install the rom on to.
then, yes, flash the rom, gapps and the aosp kernel.

Reactions: s8freak and baib88

tailgunner9

Apr 8, 2012
Jackson, Tn.
Boot to Recovery

I have CWM Ver. 6.0.3.1 recovery and Rom Manager installed on SGH-i747. When I boot into recovery mode it says at top of screen-- ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix? THIS CAN NOT BE UNDON, Then below that says NO, Yes-Disable recovery flash, Go Back
What do I do on this screen?? Been hitting Go Back, as not sure would happen on NO or Yes Thanks Guys

Reactions: s8freak

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
I have CWM Ver. 6.0.3.1 recovery and Rom Manager installed on SGH-i747. When I boot into recovery mode it says at top of screen-- ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix? THIS CAN NOT BE UNDON, Then below that says NO, Yes-Disable recovery flash, Go Back
What do I do on this screen?? Been hitting Go Back, as not sure would happen on NO or Yes Thanks Guys

Press no

"Zed? Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead"
Sent from my rockin ATT S4

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
You're welcome and I will you too :thumbup::thumbup::D

"Zed? Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead"
Sent from my rockin ATT S4

spk_xda

Dec 16, 2007
How to install gapps?

Hi, I wish I had seen this thread before installing a custom ROM. This was my first time installing a custom ROM. I installed the latest CM 10.1.3 ROM using the ROM Manager app (which does not seem to be the recommended approach, based on the response of this thread's author in another thread) but while installing the ROM I missed to select the Google apps. Now I have the new ROM but with no Google play store app to install the other required apps. How can I install it now? Thanks in advance.

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Hi, I wish I had seen this thread before installing a custom ROM. This was my first time installing a custom ROM. I installed the latest CM 10.1.3 ROM using the ROM Manager app (which does not seem to be the recommended approach, based on the response of this thread's author in another thread) but while installing the ROM I missed to select the Google apps. Now I have the new ROM but with no Google play store app to install the other required apps. How can I install it now? Thanks in advance.

Locate the s3's cm 10.1.3 rom thread and search the OP for the gapps download link. Flash from your custom recovery. Cheers.

Reactions: spk_xda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOW-TO] The All-In-One Backup/Root/Flash Guide & Bootloader Support - [I747 & I747M]

dqi4xg.jpg

This thread exists to give everyone that is just now getting around to taking advantage of their devices the opportunity to do it right the first time while also keeping all the necessary material in one common place. As always: Know what you're doing. Know what device model you have. Know you and your devices limits.

If followed correctly, this 5-step guide can be a very useful tool. These steps are listed in the order in which they should be completed. The intent is to seamlessly backup, root and flash, leaving as little room for error as possible. This process will erase and/or reset everything on your device. All steps are assuming you have backed up your contacts, texts, pictures, videos, etc. I do not take credit for any of this material or information. This is all the work of good people that I have simply brought together. Cheers!

**WARNING!** All information and attached links are for the I747 and I747M ONLY! No one here is responsible for anything that may happen to your device. Proceed at your own risk.​

>>>>>>Before you begin, make sure your S3 has USB Debugging Mode switched on<<<<<<​

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 1: Backing up your IMEI/EFS/NV

Part 1. Having a corrupt IMEI can be a real pain. It seems to happen randomly and having the radio go down on a cell phone really defeats the purpose of owning one. Thankfully it is not a problem that is overly common. Unfortunately, it does still happen. Since it is simplest to be on stock for this attached method, I have listed it as step number 1.

At the end of the "Instructions" section there is a video demonstration. Check it out first.

Part 2. Having a copy of your functioning EFS folder is also something every user should have. A great way to do this is to download an app like Root Browser or Root Explorer and copy the efs folder from your device to either your external micro SD card, your computer or both. This will allow you a much smoother transition back into a fully data-capable and functioning phone in the event your IMEI/EFS is ever corrupted.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 2: Rooting your device

For those of you who want to get most out of your Galaxy S3, you will certainly want to root it. Rooting your I747 gives you lots of benefits like full control over your phone, ability to install custom ROMs, and much, much more...that's why you're here right now reading this. You want it all.

The attached link may be intimidating to you initially, so read over the page a few times to become familiar. Near the top of the page, the second paragraph links you to a video of the rooting process. Watch this to understand better what to do and what you should expect to see during these root procedures. After downloading Odin (the link is just below the video link), just follow the first 2 steps (1. Download the file to flash and 2. Unzip the file contents and flash the rooted firmware) and then return here to continue on to step 3.

**If you want to have root access only and are not interested in a custom recovery, you can stop here.**​
    MrRobinson's debloating thread can be found here if you wish to remain
    stock/rooted-only but cleaner, with less bloatware and without unused apps absorbing resources.
    A custom recovery is required and TWRP is recommended

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 3: Installing a custom recovery

A recovery image is the system level software for your Android that lets you perform several maintenance and recovery tasks. The stock recovery image is quite limited in what it allows you to do and therefore, flashing a custom recovery image is required to gain full control of your device’s administration. A custom recovery image allows you to perform the following tasks:

- Wipe your phone’s data (Factory reset) and cache
    - Make, restore and manage backups of your phone’s operating system and software
    - Mount, unmount and format your phone’s internal as well as external storage partitions
    - Install a custom ROM or application from a zip file to your phone
    - Wipe Dalvik cache and battery statistics
    - Make logs for error reporting and debugging

The 2 most common custom recoveries are listed here. Everyone has a preference but they both work well. Take your pick and download from the Play Store.

idybV.png
    **ClockworkMod (CWM)** --- OR DOWNLOAD THE APK DIRECTLY HERE (Recommended)
    1. Open Rom Manager and tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option in the app.
    2. You’ll be asked to select your device, select your device name.
    3. As soon as you select the model, it should begin installing the recovery.
    4. When it has done installing the recovery, you will get a message for the same on your screen.
    *NOTE: I do not recommend Rom Manager as a tool to do anything but just install and update ClockworkMod Recovery Do not flash ROMs from Rom Manager.

ScKKz.png
    **Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP)** --- OR DOWNLOAD THE APK DIRECTLY HERE (Recommended)
    1. Once the download is complete launch Goo Manager.
    2. On the top right of the screen there is the “options” menu.
    3. Tap on options.
    4. Then, click or choose the “Install OpenRecovery Script” option.
    5. Select “yes” on the prompts that will follow. Now, the app will download and install TWRP Recovery on your S3
    *NOTE: I do not recommend GooManager as a tool to do anything but just install and update TWRP Recovery Do not flash ROMs from Goo Manager.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 4: Making a Backup (Nandroid)

Making a nandroid will allow you to try out new ROMs while still keeping a safe backup in the event you experience issues during or after the OS installation. Be sure your device is fully charged before proceeding onto the backup and flashing procedures.

1. Power off your device.
    2. Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
    3. Release the power button when the device vibrates and you see the blue script in the top left corner
    4. You are now in custom recovery.
    5. In CWM go to Backup and Restore and select Backup. In TWRP select Backup. Name and select the options you want. Swipe to backup.
    6. After backup is finished, select reboot system now or stay in recovery to continue with this guide.

*NOTE: Be sure to save a copy of this backup to your computer and/or micro sd card. Having a recent backup saved to your computer and micro SD card can be useful if something happens to your phones internal memory.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 5A: Wiping your device

When flashing any ROM, it is always important to follow the proper wipe procedures in order for everything to function properly. There are various levels of wiping based on what sort of transition you may be making. In this guide, I will list the procedures for a full wipe, presuming that you are coming from the stock firmware and changing your OS completely. This is all assuming you have made the appropriate backups. ALWAYS perform the appropriate wipe before flashing a new ROM or update!

1. If you are not already in recovery, boot in now (Vol Up + Home + Power. Release the power button at vibrate and when you see the blue script in the top left corner).

In CWM:
    2. Select Wipe data/factory reset
    3. Select Wipe Cache
    4. Select Advanced and Wipe Dalvik Cache
    5. Select Mounts and Storage and format /system
    6. If you are transitioning from 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.1, you must also format /data. You will lose all personal data so back it up first.

In TWRP:
    2. Select Wipe
    3. Select Factory Reset and wipe
    4. Select System and wipe
    5. If you are transitioning from 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.1, you must also select Data and wipe. You will lose all personal data so back it up first.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 5B: Flashing a custom ROM

First, read up on a couple ROMs you're interested in. Make sure they are for your model. Understand that the newest ROMs often still have some small bugs still to be worked out. Once you have decided on a ROM:

1. Download the ROM - If you are downloading a stock/TouchWiz-based ROM, Google Apps (gapps) will be included. If you are downloading an AOSP-based ROM, be sure to download the appropriate gapps as well.
    2. From your PC, place the ROM/gapps on your internal or external SD card. Remember where they are.
    3. Boot into custom recovery (Vol Up + Home + Power. Release the power button at vibrate and when you see the blue script in the top left corner).
    4. Perform the wipe listed above if you have not already.
    5. From the main recovery screen:
    >>CWM - Choose the "install .zip from SD Card" or "install .zip from external SD card" option (depending on where you placed the files) then navigate to the ROM file, select it and confirm.
    >>TWRP - Choose Install and locate the desired ROM on your internal or external SD.
    6. If you need to flash gapps, repeat step 5 and select the gapps package.
    7. Reboot system. It will take several minutes to load so be patient and don't worry. Once the phone is booted, let it sit for 5 minutes, reboot and enjoy!
    >>>>>Fixes and Additional Resources<<<<<

Post #2 will, as it claims, contains further useful information and links that will hopefully restore your device and continue to make your device-modding travels safe, smooth and fun. Please do not disregard the initial purpose of this thread and all the useful steps and information listed above. Post #2 is for those who have encountered common issues and errors, and are comfortable and familiar with all the required procedures for successfully modifying their devices. Cheers!​

Latest AOSP/CM/AOKP flash error - Updating Your Bootloader
    For continued support and updates, read mrhaley30705's bootloader advisory first, then follow the Task's directions outlined in this thread. This is intended for those not on the necessary Jelly Bean bootloaders, allowing them to flash future [CM] builds.

Bootloops
    Bootloops are mainly caused because system files are conflicting and interfering with each other. This instability causes crashes at the boot sequence.
    To find the cause of a bootloop you have to think about what you did before the issue began. After flashing a new rom, stock firmware, kernel or restoring a system backup?

Method 1
    1. Boot into recovery
    2. Wipe Cache
    3. Wipe Dalvik cache (custom recovery only)
    4. Reboot your phone

If the problems still exists and you're sure it's not related to the ROM, then you need to wipe data as well:

Method 2
    1. Boot into recovery
    2. Wipe Data
    3. Wipe Cache
    4. Wipe Dalvik cache (custom recovery only)
    5. Reboot your phone

Method 3 - This last method involves restoring your backup in order to correct the conflicting software by replacing it with a functioning platform
    1. Boot into recovery
    2. Wipe Data
    3. Restore backup
    4. Wipe Cache
    5. Wipe Dalvik cache
    6. Reboot your phone

Setting the wrong permissions or not adjusting permissions can also induce this error. Android is very dependent on the right permissions. If you adjust file permissions incorrectly you could find yourself in a bootloop. An easy fix is performing the "Fix permissions" option in recovery under Advanced. Be sure to mount the partitions before running the fix.

Status 7 error
    When you receive a Status 7 error in CWM or TWRP, the most common reason for most users is that their recovery is not as up-to-date as the ROM requires it to be in order to install. There are a couple different ways to fix this, depending on each persons situation.

You've wiped everything on your device, removing your OS, and now you're receiving the error:
    If you have a micro SD card, this fix is simple. You can download an up-to-date flashable CWM or TWRP recovery zip, place the file on your micro SD, flash the zip, go to Advanced and reboot recovery.

You've simply tried dirty flashing a ROM or ROM update and have only wiped data, cache and dalvik:
    Use the above technique to update your recovery or boot back into your S3 to update. For CWM users, head to Rom Manager. If you use TWRP, hop into the Goo Manager app. Once you've applied the update, boot into recovery and flash the desired software.

Soft brick - Stuck at glowing Samsung logo
    There are two types of bricks – the softbrick and hardbrick. The softbrick can be recovered if you can still get into download and recovery mode. Additionally, getting stuck at the Samsung logo is another one our most common issues seen. When you flash a stock ROM with Odin, your /data will be kept. This means your old dalvik cache is still being used for the new system files. If this is still possible, then boot into recovery and try these methods first:

Method A: Wipe
    1. Wipe Data
    2. Wipe Cache
    3. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Method B: Wipe and Restore
    1. Wipe Data
    2. Wipe Cache
    3. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    4. In CWM: Select Mounts and Storage and format /system. In TWRP: Wipe System
    5. Restore your backup
    6. Wipe Data again
    7. Wipe Cache

If neither of these methods has got your device back up and running, you will need to restore the phone with stock firmware via Odin. Make sure the battery is fully charged and follow these steps:

1. Download and run Odin on your PC
    2. Download the stock firmware for your device
    3. Boot into download mode and, when prompted with the warning, press Volume Up to continue. To access download mode, power down the phone and hold down the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons
    4. Connect the phone to PC via USB. Make sure you can see the highlight COM:ID box once the device is detected
    5. In the tickable option boxes, ensure ‘RE-Partition’ is unticked. Only ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F. Reset Time’ need to be checked off
    6. Now click the PDA button and select the tar you downloaded
    7. Click on “Start” to flash the stock firmware
    8. Wait until the flashing successfully finishes and you see a word ‘PASS’
    9. Unplug your device, pull the battery, replace and immediately press Volume Up + Home + Power to enter stock recovery. Release the power button when the device vibrates and you see the blue script in the top left corner
    10. Wipe data, cache and wipe Dalvik cache (under advanced). Reboot

Low internal memory / Multiple "0" folders
    This is a common issue when flashing a 4.2 ROM. Android 4.2 has multi-user support. The 0 folder is user 1. The best way to avoid this multiple folder problem is to always flash from the latest CWM or TWRP recoveries, whichever you prefer. The duplicate folders issue can be solved via the install method listed under the Reverting to 4.1 ROMs? section or as follows, if you've already flashed your 4.2 ROM:

Staying on 4.2+ ROMs?
    1. Copy your sdcard data to /data/media/0 and then delete the /0/0 folders
    2. When prompted, choose merge
    3. Verify there is nothing in the other 0 folder, then you can delete it
    4. Repeat with other /0 folders, if applicable
    5. Reboot

Reverting to 4.1 ROMs?
    1. In the event you are planning on returning to a 4.1.X ROM, I encourage users to make a backup and save/backup everything on the device that they wish to have on their device again after flashing. Save/move everything either to a micro SD card or to your computer.
    2.*When you are in recovery and preparing to flash, wipe: data/factory reset, cache, dalvik, format /system, format /data & /media
    This will eliminate the OS and all traces of the previous 4.2 data and folders, allowing you to boot into your device with the full amount of available memory and no duplicate "0" folders.

Simple and Fast Wiping Mods
    In this thread by Upndwn4par, there are three recovery-flashable wiping tools that you can use while working on your device. They can be incredibly useful tools that save some power button & volume rocker mashing. With the snappy flashing of these zips, you can easily perform a Cache & Dalvik Cache wipe, a Full Wipe or a Full Wipe Factory Reset. These are handy and will ensure you perform the necessary wipe to best optimize your ROM, mods and troubleshooting. Per-wipe details in the link.

fourtyfive.png
    Unroot your device
    Need to get your S3 ready to return to the manufacturer? Follow this link and you'll be squared away in under 10 minutes. You'll need:
    - Triangle Away installed
    - The official stock firmware for your device
    - Odin installed on your PC
    - Your Samsung USB cable, if possible
    - Samsung drivers installed on PC

m12340089_red_cross_icon_40x40.png
    Build your own Must Have toolkit
    In the world of rooted phones running custom ROMs, you will find the simple micro SD card to be the best $10 you've ever spent. I would strongly encourage everyone to purchase one of these and build themselves their very own emergency-response toolkit, stored right on the device. To do this, grab yourself a micro SD card and place these files on it:
    - Your stock Nandroid backup
    - Your most recent or preferred Nandroid running your current custom ROM
    - The ROM/gapps you're currently running
    - A current flashable CWM 6.0.3.0 / 6.0.3.1 or TWRP 2.4.4.0 / 2.5.0.0 custom recovery
    - A flashable stock ROM
    Updated OP.

Please share. Lots of posts from beginners dealing with issues related to wrong root methods, outdated recoveries or incorrectly flashed files. Let's help make it a smooth transition by getting them the right procedures. Cheers!
    Should a bootloader update section be added for the new wave of threads popping up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Added. Bookmark Post #2 and post it where necessary. It includes mrhaley30705's informational thread and Task's link w/instructions.
    Beer,

You should direct people to these as well:

This has all the stock apps for the at&t phone that can be flashed in the aroma installer or pushed to /system/app or data

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185221

This one is makes wiping easier so you know a step wasn't skipped and can be flashed in a custom recovery everytime you flash a ROM. I never get a bad flash using this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2097365

And also list the most invaluable asset: An awesome file explorer like root explorer or other tools they should also have when flashing