Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more
Post Reply

[Q] Help with ZTE Z990G (Merit)

OP Noob_Rooter

5th March 2013, 01:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Hi, I am looking for some help Rooting/Unlocking my ZTE Z990G also known as ZTE Merit.
I like so many others made the mistake of falling for Net10's good priced no contract plans and phones only to be highly unsatisfied by the time my 30 day unlimited plan was up...Now the phone is of decent quality and I do want to keep it, but I just do not feel like $50 a month is worth the horrid customer service and other issues I have had.

Basically I want to unlock my phone to use with T-Mobile, however net10 is refusing to give me the unlock code. I have made multiple calls and gotten various representatives but each one responds with the same questions when I ask "Are you meaning to unlock your phone to use with another provider? Why?" and then when I say yes (and give any reason, even that I'm going to be overseas) "Oh, I'm sorry our phones can't be unlocked. Have a good day!" First of all I know this is BS because I have seen an unlocked Merit with my own eyes and know if can be done.

So all in all, can someone help me to unlock my phone? I am willing to root if necessary, I just need it unlocked so I can use my t-mobile sim card in it. I went to unlockclient.co and it says they can unlock it but I would rather not pay $25 for something I don't know is safe...Please help!
(sorry for all the ranting)
24th May 2013, 09:24 PM   |  #2  
droidgeek99's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob_Rooter

Hi, I am looking for some help Rooting/Unlocking my ZTE Z990G also known as ZTE Merit.
I like so many others made the mistake of falling for Net10's good priced no contract plans and phones only to be highly unsatisfied by the time my 30 day unlimited plan was up...Now the phone is of decent quality and I do want to keep it, but I just do not feel like $50 a month is worth the horrid customer service and other issues I have had.

Basically I want to unlock my phone to use with T-Mobile, however net10 is refusing to give me the unlock code. I have made multiple calls and gotten various representatives but each one responds with the same questions when I ask "Are you meaning to unlock your phone to use with another provider? Why?" and then when I say yes (and give any reason, even that I'm going to be overseas) "Oh, I'm sorry our phones can't be unlocked. Have a good day!" First of all I know this is BS because I have seen an unlocked Merit with my own eyes and know if can be done.

So all in all, can someone help me to unlock my phone? I am willing to root if necessary, I just need it unlocked so I can use my t-mobile sim card in it. I went to unlockclient.co and it says they can unlock it but I would rather not pay $25 for something I don't know is safe...Please help!
(sorry for all the ranting)

I've had the same issue, spent 2 hrs on the phone with Net10 and ZTE!
After some scouring the net on google I found this, several people on various forums and blogs report that it works great!
I'm getting ready to try this myself.
Scroll to the bottom of the list and you'll see that the Z990G IS supported!

If you try it please report back and let me know if it worked for you.

[Edit]
I was referring to this site here www.unlockclient.co
Last edited by droidgeek99; 30th May 2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: forgot a link
28th May 2013, 04:21 PM   |  #3  
Stasi_leigh's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Texarkana
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
[QUOTE=droidgeek99;41799617]I've had the same issue, spent 2 hrs on the phone with Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidgeek99

I've had the same issue, spent 2 hrs on the phone with Net10 and ZTE!
After some scouring the net on google I found this, several people on various forums and blogs report that it works great!
I'm getting ready to try this myself.
Scroll to the bottom of the list and you'll see that the Z990G IS supported!

If you try it please report back and let me know if it worked for you.

Id like to know the same thing. Bought mine 4 months ago, and every since Net10 activated it, its been rebooting on its own, refuses to allow connection to my 3g services 1 week into my first month. Pic msg and gps have failed since Net10 customer reps reconfigured my apn and now that they dont know what they did or why its not letting me axcess my services or we, Net10 refuses to fix it, they wont unlock it-told me they cant unlock it, they refuse to refund my $130 let alone $250 for paid for services that I cant axcess and they wont render. Top it off, this is practially a brand new phone and they want me to send it to them before they take a month to send me SOMEONE ELSES REFURBISHED PHONE. Yea i dont think so. Been a customer for 3 years and I want out.

Help me....please?
30th May 2013, 06:25 PM   |  #4  
droidgeek99's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasi_leigh

Id like to know the same thing. Bought mine 4 months ago, and every since Net10 activated it, its been rebooting on its own, refuses to allow connection to my 3g services 1 week into my first month. Pic msg and gps have failed since Net10 customer reps reconfigured my apn and now that they dont know what they did or why its not letting me axcess my services or we, Net10 refuses to fix it, they wont unlock it-told me they cant unlock it, they refuse to refund my $130 let alone $250 for paid for services that I cant axcess and they wont render. Top it off, this is practially a brand new phone and they want me to send it to them before they take a month to send me SOMEONE ELSES REFURBISHED PHONE. Yea i dont think so. Been a customer for 3 years and I want out.

Help me....please?

I'd never have stayed with them for that long, Net10 sucks
Ok, so I tried http://www.unlockclient.co/
Paid the 25 bucks and it unlocked my Merit in under a minute! Now I can use T-Mobile! As stated on their webpage if you leave a positive comment on their Youtube video they'll refund you $3. I left my review and within 25 mins paypal notified me of the refund!
Here's the video to comment on for the refund. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0HHQy0tXJQ

****Disclaimer****
If your phone was manufactured or sold to you after January 28th, 2013 it is illegal according to federal law for you to unlock it without permission from your carrier. I will not be held responsible in anyway if you break the law.
My Merit was both manufactured and purchased prior to Jan. 28th 2013.

Hopefully you can get unlocked and away from Net10 without breaking the law

Are you rooted with a custom ROM? I might be able to help you fix the other issues you mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to droidgeek99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2013, 06:49 AM   |  #5  
Stasi_leigh's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Texarkana
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidgeek99

I'd never have stayed with them for that long, Net10 sucks
Ok, so I tried
Paid the 25 bucks and it unlocked my Merit in under a minute! Now I can use T-Mobile! As stated on their webpage if you leave a positive comment on their Youtube video they'll refund you $3. I left my review and within 25 mins paypal notified me of the refund!
Here's the video to comment on for the refund.
****Disclaimer****
If your phone was manufactured or sold to you after January 28th, 2013 it is illegal according to federal law for you to unlock it without permission from your carrier. I will not be held responsible in anyway if you break the law.
My Merit was both manufactured and purchased prior to Jan. 28th 2013.

Hopefully you can get unlocked and away from Net10 without breaking the law

Are you rooted with a custom ROM? I might be able to help you fix the other issues you mentioned.



Sadly, no, my phone isn't rooted though I really wish it were. I am no where near Tech savvy and afraid Id brick it if I were to do it on my own.

I did however obtain the "PUK" code for my sim card (crazy enough through Net10) she just failed to tell me how to enter it in my phone to unlock it. So Im basically back to square one. ... I like my phone and all, I just hate that it hardly has any memory at all.

Im not sure if this is the right forum for my next question, but..... is it possible to change the stock or whatever from gingerbread to something
I really do appreciate your advice else? Lol told you, not tech savvy at all.....
22nd June 2013, 09:38 AM   |  #6  
Stasi_leigh's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Texarkana
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Thumbs up Still think you can help??
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidgeek99

Hopefully you can get unlocked and away from Net10 without breaking the law

Are you rooted with a custom ROM? I might be able to help you fix the other issues you mentioned.



Hey! So I finally rooted the phone (I know, yay right!) To do so, it was suggested that I install TouchNavRecovery and DexMeritRoot, which did as said...Root achieved. Since I've installed a custom rom called Icecream Scamwhich and ran it.....(really liked this one but had a few kinks to be worked out(which I was told to wait until they were fixed before installing) and I decided to try something else)
Now, I'm running a custom rom called the blue steel that I installed last night.

Do you think that you could possibly still help me? Id so appreciate any advice when it comes to the Z990g.

Hopeful yet!!
22nd June 2013, 06:17 PM   |  #7  
mrdreamers's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 20
 
458 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Donate to Me
More
hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasi_leigh

Hey! So I finally rooted the phone (I know, yay right!) To do so, it was suggested that I install TouchNavRecovery and DexMeritRoot, which did as said...Root achieved. Since I've installed a custom rom called Icecream Scamwhich and ran it.....(really liked this one but had a few kinks to be worked out(which I was told to wait until they were fixed before installing) and I decided to try something else)
Now, I'm running a custom rom called the blue steel that I installed last night.

Do you think that you could possibly still help me? Id so appreciate any advice when it comes to the Z990g.

Hopeful yet!!

where did you get the rom to flash it? and how did you do it??
22nd June 2013, 09:57 PM   |  #8  
Flip956's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
ZTE Merit / SpeedFreak 2.0 / HotRod
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdreamers

where did you get the rom to flash it? and how did you do it??

androidarea51.com/speedfreak-us/welcome-speedfreaks!/

I'd go with that ROM. I've tried IceCreamScamWich which is a deodexed and themed version and one by StayBoogy on an overclocked kernel running at 777mhz but SpeedFreak2.0 is just amazing for this phone. You even keep more system storage through sd-ext4.

Try this kernel : androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/525527-kernel-kernel1-0-update-apr-7-11-33-released.html

Overclocked to 864mhz and running smooth. Uncanny really. Hands down SpeedFreak2.0/HotROD is the best.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasi_leigh

Hey! So I finally rooted the phone (I know, yay right!) To do so, it was suggested that I install TouchNavRecovery and DexMeritRoot, which did as said...Root achieved. Since I've installed a custom rom called Icecream Scamwhich and ran it.....(really liked this one but had a few kinks to be worked out(which I was told to wait until they were fixed before installing) and I decided to try something else)
Now, I'm running a custom rom called the blue steel that I installed last night.

Do you think that you could possibly still help me? Id so appreciate any advice when it comes to the Z990g.

Hopeful yet!!

I recommend you also try SpeedFreak2.0!

As for unlocking, I've tried all those ROMs and non of them include unlocking. So I also tried that unlock client.co and did get my $3 refund as well. Somehow, I ended up with an awesome unlocking app throughout my search in making the most out this phone that works flawlessly for anyone interested.
Last edited by Flip956; 23rd June 2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: :/
23rd June 2013, 04:26 AM   |  #9  
Stasi_leigh's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Texarkana
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdreamers

where did you get the rom to flash it? and how did you do it??

Unfortunatly, Im not permitted to enter links or paraphrase them in the forums just yet but I do hope I can still be of some assistance (someway)

You should check out some good reads at Androidforums in the All Things Root Section for the zte merit z990g also known as the Avail. In those rooms you will find two Bloggers by OUT OF IDEAS and STAYBOGGY or you can search android forums for the TouchNavRecovery, the DexMeritRootzip, the ICS icecream scamwhich, as well as the Steel Blue Rom. All are great and wonderful just not my "fit"
as for how I did it, These zip files are fairly simple. The guys made them basically fail proof (thank goodness or Idz been up a creek wirhout a paddle & probably bricked my z990g) I just downloaded, backed up phone and user data/apps/informion.

Downloaded all those files TouchNavRecovery, DexMeritRootzip, ICS Icecream scamwhich, and Blue Steel Rom (decided to make another

Root Checker Basic and SuperUser from playstore (just so I wouldnt have to later.)

Copy TouchNav to Sd card (cant be in a folder has to be zip file)

Renamed it update.zip

Boot from recovery by turning phone off and holding down the MENU, VOLUME UP & THE POWER BUTTON down all at once until phone boots back up showing the recovery menu.
Using volume button to control cursor, I choose CLEAR DATA

Then selected INSTALL ZIP FROM SD CARD.

let it install. Once complete REBOOT

Then when phone powers back up RENAME the file RECOVERY.
(Decided to make another backup here)

Step 2:

Copy DexMeritRoot.zip to Sd
Rename update.zip

Boot from recovery

Wipe data

Install update.zip

Reboot (should be rooted by now)


Renamed Z990g_root

Then simply followed those same steps to install the ROMS

Updates MUST be renamed update.zip or they wont install. (Not sure if this rule applies each time you install a new kernel, custom rom, etc or if it only applies to when you install from stock., to be safe I renamed each one update.zip before installing and made sure to rename them before I copied another to the sd cards root and renamed it to update.zip to avoid confusion)

Im also aware it may not of been required biut I backed up everything several times.
Before I rooted with all zip files and su as well as root checker basic downloaded prior to wiping any data.
AFTER the installment of update.zip for TouchNavRecovery

AFTER installing the DexMeritRoot.zip

AFTER installing ICS icecream scamwhich

AFTER installing the Blue Steel custom ROM

oh and AFTER I installed the stayboggy overclocked Kernel for my zte z990g.

As stated, currently Im unable to post links as per xda forum rules until I reach 10post I believe it is, but I hope to of been some help to those who are also new to rooting and seeking to explore the Zte Merit Z990g at its fullest possibilities.
Im currently seeking information on su commands and how to use Android terminal emulator If you should be intrested please check over at Androidforums for more tips as they are Noob user friendly and insightful as well

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any mishaps or misfortunes if any reader should attempt the above method of rooting their device or installing a custom rom mentioned in this thread. Please note that just because these methods worked for my device DOES NOT mean that it will work for others, therefore releasing myself and the xda forum from any liability should you attempt any above zip and brick your device. stones
23rd June 2013, 05:58 AM   |  #10  
Stasi_leigh's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Texarkana
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip956

hxxp://androidarea51.com/speedfreak-us/welcome-speedfreaks!/

I'd go with that ROM. I've tried IceCreamScamWich which is a deodexed and themed version and one by StayBoogy on an overclocked kernel running at 777mhz but SpeedFreak2.0 is just amazing for this phone. You even keep more system storage through sd-ext4.

Try this kernel : hxxp://androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/525527-kernel-kernel1-0-update-apr-7-11-33-released.html

Overclocked to 864mhz and running smooth. Uncanny really. Hands down SpeedFreak2.0/HotROD is the best.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------



I recommend you also try SpeedFreak2.0!

As for unlocking, I've tried all those ROMs and non of them include unlocking. So I also tried that unlock client.co and did get my $3 refund as well. Somehow, I ended up with an awesome unlocking app throughout my search in making the most out this phone that works flawlessly for anyone interested.



Yes, you are correct. Neiter offer a solution to unlocking the device from its network sim lock. I initally installed due to my phones over panicked kernel forcing my merit into a constant reboot until it was rendered nearly useless. Id hoped either one would stop or slow the reboots down as Im just now beginning to gain use of my merit for the first time in about 6 months or so. Frustrating as it was I bared with uit lol There for a while I figured Id bought a $130 piece of crap destined for the local electronic recycle bin

On the ROM you suggested....I'll be heading over to check it out as soon as I finish this post. And as for the unlocking app...... Id ever be so grateful and am highly interested. Please inbox me and let me know what I need to do on my part. Ive downloaded busybox and terminal emulator but as for the commands.....yea Im so lost. (Was advised I could possibly unlock that way) was also told I could install a unlocked version of the

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank